Author Topic: the photography thread.  (Read 717136 times)

Francis Xavier

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2276
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: the photography thread.
« Reply #6810 on: February 08, 2019, 08:19:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
You guys are making want to shoot more photos,but never show them because they're dirt to a beautiful garden haha
[close]

who cares man do what u want theres kids eating dirt out there
[close]

Photography is tough like that. I think one of the hardest things is the disappointment and dry spells, but it's also motivation to shoot more, read more, learn more. Even when it comes to famous photographers, some bodies of work that are shot over multiple years will only result in a couple dozen keepers.
Gnars to both of ya'll. Sound advice.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 740
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6811 on: February 10, 2019, 07:46:54 AM »

Just shoot more. Some will suck but you'll figure out what works/doesn't etc
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #6812 on: February 10, 2019, 11:31:29 AM »
Do you guys have any youtube recommendations to watch?

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTgaiv8YdmmNqI8STrpWc7w

Negative Feedback is good I guess

http://www.youtube.com/user/JohnFreePhtography

John Free too I like his philosophy about photographing and in life in general..

Fstoppers is hilarious.. I only watch the "critique the community" section.. These dudes think they are the shit and know-it-all but I find funny how clueless they are if it isn't about the gear.. Talk about creative midlife crisis...

Also Ilford and the likes of it have some good content too.

I know there are plenty of youtubers (McKinnon, Carver, Kobeissi etc..) but that shit is usually as wack as the skateboarding equivalents are..

Do you watch any of that shit or do you think it is a waste of time?

I'm down with some youtube people from time to time, but most of it I skip over. I don't care about the best gear, or reviews and stuff.

Mike Janik is good, but doesn't post much anymore. His photos are so/so, but I like his talking.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrSHIK4iv8fD1lmvD5NgOnA

Digital Darkroom is good
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXV7bLiYu6DSX73KuoprBzw

straight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 992
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6813 on: February 13, 2019, 01:20:50 PM »
just got a nikon 28ti .. here’s some shots from my first roll

What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 316
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6814 on: February 13, 2019, 09:27:46 PM »
Do you guys have any youtube recommendations to watch?

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTgaiv8YdmmNqI8STrpWc7w

Negative Feedback is good I guess

http://www.youtube.com/user/JohnFreePhtography

John Free too I like his philosophy about photographing and in life in general..

Fstoppers is hilarious.. I only watch the "critique the community" section.. These dudes think they are the shit and know-it-all but I find funny how clueless they are if it isn't about the gear.. Talk about creative midlife crisis...

Also Ilford and the likes of it have some good content too.

I know there are plenty of youtubers (McKinnon, Carver, Kobeissi etc..) but that shit is usually as wack as the skateboarding equivalents are..

Do you watch any of that shit or do you think it is a waste of time?

There traveling the world series is great thought. But yeah, they rally aren't that great of shooters.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

feedmeseymour

« Reply #6815 on: February 14, 2019, 05:39:42 AM »
just got a nikon 28ti .. here’s some shots from my first roll

very nice. i could never shoot skating on film, id be too nervous that i would fuck it up. i give alot of credit to those that still do.

straight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6816 on: February 14, 2019, 06:34:31 AM »
thanks dude .. i just love the anticipation and the excitement of when your shots actually turn out .. most of the time they’re underwhelming but when one or two come out way better than you expected, it makes it (literally) worth it (shits expensive)

feedmeseymour

« Reply #6817 on: February 14, 2019, 07:12:37 AM »
my buddy shot this photo but i wanted to share because i thought it was a cool effect if anyone wanted to mess around with it. he pretty much put plastic wrap over the lens and ripped a little hole in it. simple idea and can be cool for portraits.

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #6818 on: February 14, 2019, 08:47:45 AM »

This is awesome. Very timeless and just a classic vibe. Great shot.

straight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6819 on: February 14, 2019, 09:15:54 AM »
damn thanks dude i appreciate that .. the sun glare was unexpected and kinda bugs me but guess it adds to the vibe

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6820 on: February 14, 2019, 04:22:13 PM »
That Nikon TI is an awesome camera. Optically it’s great, but I really like the design of it. Shooting skating with a P&S is tricky, but you did a good job. Can you manual focus with it?

straight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6821 on: February 14, 2019, 04:32:20 PM »
ive been buying and selling point and shoot cameras like crazy these past few months trying to find the perfect camera “for me” .. and i can tell you the nikon 28ti is that camera .. it’s so fuckin beautiful just to look at with the analog dial on top and it’s feels great in hand .. the matrix metering is outstanding and is probably the reason i love this camera so much = results are so nice

to answer your question: no you can’t manual focus it .. you can however manually change the exposure settings but i would rather prefer the matrix metering handle that in program mode
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 04:34:14 PM by straight »

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6822 on: February 14, 2019, 06:07:20 PM »
That's good you found the one. I know how that search can be, and with the price of P&S cameras these days it's even trickier. Having exposure compensation is a pretty nice feature, as you mentioned. You did a good job on that third photo. I'm surprised the AF picked the skater up, he's not super sharp but I would have expected the camera to miss.

I've never seen any of those TI's locally for sale, but maybe one day I'll come across one. Currently my P&S of choice is the Contax T2.

feedmeseymour

« Reply #6823 on: February 20, 2019, 08:15:24 AM »
heres one from work, we make these speed loaders for certain gun companies and they wanted a "cool photo" so i just ripped a vape in my studio and blew smoke from behind the gun, this is 3 photos layered on each other.

lighting setup incase anyone is curious: i have 3 alien bee 1600's one on a boom arm above the gun in a beauty dish pointed down
one on camera right and one camera left slightly above pointing down.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 316
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6824 on: February 20, 2019, 10:38:36 AM »
^^^^Super sick man. Love product photography just cause I never do that kind of stuff.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

coyote2425

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #6825 on: February 23, 2019, 01:00:07 PM »
First post in this thread. Been digging long exposure shots lately. This is from 4th of July.

http://imgur.com/a/D3W24KD
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 01:02:38 PM by coyote2425 »

dragonblade

• Rep: -12
« Reply #6826 on: February 26, 2019, 08:16:40 PM »
I know this is not stills photography but it's kind of related. A few years ago, I shot some super 8 film footage of kangaroos with an old Canon 1014E. Filmed at 54fps on Ektachrome 64T film stock (which was also available as a 35mm slide film.)

« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 01:14:35 AM by dragonblade »

bigboss_photo

• Rep: -1
« Reply #6827 on: February 26, 2019, 09:15:45 PM »
This is my bud Tristen, he rips

(not sure i posted this properly.. figuring it out)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 09:17:34 PM by bigboss_photo »

Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 672
« Reply #6828 on: February 27, 2019, 07:35:30 AM »
I know this is not stills photography but it's kind of related. A few years ago, I shot some super 8 film footage of kangaroos with an old Canon 1014E. Filmed at 54fps on Ektachrome 64T film stock (which was also available as a 35mm slide film.)

it was a soothing watch man I loved it

straight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6829 on: February 27, 2019, 07:57:53 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

agreed .. will watch again

dragonblade

« Reply #6830 on: February 27, 2019, 08:07:46 AM »

Thanks for the good words!

feedmeseymour

« Reply #6831 on: February 27, 2019, 09:26:39 AM »

This is v nice

Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 672
« Reply #6832 on: February 27, 2019, 09:44:00 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This is v nice

agreed great composition

dragonblade

« Reply #6833 on: February 27, 2019, 09:04:19 PM »
Big Boss, nice work. I like the framing and timing on that one.

Thanks for the super 8 comments. Oh yea a 4k scan would indeed be nice if I could afford it!

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
« Reply #6834 on: February 28, 2019, 06:02:32 AM »
Big boss, great shot man!

Jehoshaphat Augustus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
« Reply #6835 on: February 28, 2019, 03:47:03 PM »
heres one from work, we make these speed loaders for certain gun companies and they wanted a "cool photo" so i just ripped a vape in my studio and blew smoke from behind the gun, this is 3 photos layered on each other.

lighting setup incase anyone is curious: i have 3 alien bee 1600's one on a boom arm above the gun in a beauty dish pointed down

I may be one of the sloppiest dudes on Earth but you get my vote for Slap MVP 2019
EARLY

got us on slap like

bigboss_photo

• Rep: -1
« Reply #6836 on: February 28, 2019, 09:13:48 PM »
Thanks dudes <3

feedmeseymour

« Reply #6837 on: March 01, 2019, 05:19:28 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I may be one of the sloppiest dudes on Earth but you get my vote for Slap MVP 2019
EARLY

got us on slap like

duddeeeee i was watching that movie in  december with friends that dont slap/skate and when he said that shit i lost it. best xmas movie, and that is my new favorite gif.

Mystical Leader

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -134
« Reply #6838 on: March 02, 2019, 12:54:55 AM »
Any thoughts on hexar af vs. Hexar rf with a summicron 35mm f2 or something similar?

The af is much cheaper but it is a fixed lens.. But 35mm is my favorite focal length to shoot so it kind a doesn't matter

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6839 on: March 03, 2019, 07:02:59 AM »
Any thoughts on hexar af vs. Hexar rf with a summicron 35mm f2 or something similar?

The af is much cheaper but it is a fixed lens.. But 35mm is my favorite focal length to shoot so it kind a doesn't matter

I'd say despite being the same brand and all, they're fairly different cameras. The AF has a max shutter speed of 1/250, which some people have issue with. If you like to be able to shoot manual, than it might not be for you. It's going to work best using auto focus, rather than manual focus. You have aperture priority, but I don't think you can set the shutter speed. I've never shot with one, but it feels really good to hold and I like the build quality. That being said, they're not repairable so you might end up with an expensive paperweight. Or it will last 20 more years, it's a tossup when the camera is fairly old and mostly electronic.

The RF I don't know much about, but it will give you more control and likely be more durable. I know that if it's your first time shooting a range finder, it takes a little getting used to when coming from an SLR. Can't go wrong with a summicron though. If you end up loving the setup, it'll be with you for years and you can mount the summicron to other bodies easily. Worst case, you could probably break even if you had to sell the lens.

Both seem like solid choices. Personally for my shooting style, I'd be leaning towards the Hexar AF. I've wanted one for awhile, but I'm just worried about the reliability.