Author Topic: bikes  (Read 309172 times)

Frank

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
Re: bikes
« Reply #3150 on: April 27, 2023, 04:37:34 PM »

looking to get a 2nd bike for homies to ride since I have a few wanting to visit me before I leave CA. this single speed caught my attention and would be fun to ride around in flat as fuck Houston. Is this bike worth buying? seller says hardly been used and it has new tires/brakes

the way i would approach this is like so: a well kept single speed that i don't have to put any time into setting up or fixing is easily worth 100 to me personally. add in new brakes and and tires and think about what they would cost you to buy them(brakes often need to be replaced, you will end up buying new tires anyway and starting with new ones gives you more initial mileage). if you want to be sure the most important parts on this bike are fresh, then 42 bucks extra for them is an alright deal. a set of new tires could cost you as much. brakes can be had cheap, but then add in the comfort tax for getting them shipped installed. i'd check the bike out in person, ride it a bit to see if the wheels are reasonably straight, brakes work correctly, feel out the bottom bracket. basically check if you might need any post purchase maintenance that cost more.

it's not supercheap by any means, i'd say around 150 is reasonable if the seller is truthful about the state of the bike. maybe you can make them go down to a 130? the frame is really nice. i could see some people just pay this much for that maybe. also i just convert dollars one to one to euros, but i guess that mostly checks out nowadays. and our prices for bikes, skateboards, shoes, are pretty similar. i'm actually surprised to see a bianchi priced so low, but it's a single speed, so ... not much to charge for except the frame basically.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #3151 on: April 27, 2023, 06:02:15 PM »

looking to get a 2nd bike for homies to ride since I have a few wanting to visit me before I leave CA. this single speed caught my attention and would be fun to ride around in flat as fuck Houston. Is this bike worth buying? seller says hardly been used and it has new tires/brakes

My first “nice” bike was a NOS Bianchi Super Sport SX, so long as it fits you, I say go for it. The parts are completely basic but the frame is worth the asking price imo.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #3152 on: April 28, 2023, 05:54:54 AM »
happened upon a complete and barely ridden surly cross check for not a ludicrous amount of money. started making some mods to it - put on some more road-esque tires (since gravel tires in queens, NY are pretty unnecessary) and threw the open bars on it to make it a little more cruisy. took it for a 20 mile ride the other day and it feels awesome. looking forward to continuing to build on it.

good come sausage

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 315
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #3153 on: April 28, 2023, 01:48:19 PM »
appreciate all the lengthy responses!! wish I could gnar you guys.
 I'm gonna check out the bianchi soon and see if everything checks out

That surly above looks sick! would love to own one day but my wallet says no currently

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 294
« Reply #3154 on: April 28, 2023, 02:55:55 PM »
yo siota that's scary as shit, glad you're ok and were able to get at least a little retribution

That surly above looks sick! would love to own one day but my wallet says no currently
same, such a great all around frame, i seriously should stop endlessly tinkering with random builds and restorations and just get one

i just rebuilt a wheel for this single speed conversion i'm working on and had to add something special to the rim <3

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #3155 on: April 28, 2023, 04:58:48 PM »
^ nice one  :'(

the surly is fucking beautiful. super nice build.

gnars all around

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #3156 on: April 28, 2023, 10:47:11 PM »
yo siota that's scary as shit, glad you're ok and were able to get at least a little retribution

Expand Quote
[close]
same, such a great all around frame, i seriously should stop endlessly tinkering with random builds and restorations and just get one

i just rebuilt a wheel for this single speed conversion i'm working on and had to add something special to the rim <3

great tribute. rolling with you always now <3

sharkjumper

• Rep: 40
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3157 on: April 29, 2023, 11:10:13 PM »
Upgraded some parts on my road/towny bike. So much lighter. Gonna be so much more fun to ride.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1422
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3158 on: April 30, 2023, 06:53:40 PM »
happened upon a complete and barely ridden surly cross check for not a ludicrous amount of money. started making some mods to it - put on some more road-esque tires (since gravel tires in queens, NY are pretty unnecessary) and threw the open bars on it to make it a little more cruisy. took it for a 20 mile ride the other day and it feels awesome. looking forward to continuing to build on it.

i <3 my 09 beef gravy brown crosscheck. havent ridden it in a really long time but it's sweet. hope you enjoy yours!
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 52
« Reply #3159 on: May 01, 2023, 08:59:40 AM »
Been riding my old ass stumpjumper on some 'proper' mtb trails and its awesome for making mellow trails a lot more fun! I want to add a cheap dropper if I can find one that fits haha. I'm also putting together some longer 'gravel' routes out of my house that involve long climbs up dirt roads then twotrack/single track descents for 15-30 miles total. Looking for some tires that will be faster on the road portion. Was leaning towards the simworks super yummy but the price is a bit outta line. Anyone have suggestions?

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 552
« Reply #3160 on: May 01, 2023, 10:08:54 AM »
Been riding my old ass stumpjumper on some 'proper' mtb trails and its awesome for making mellow trails a lot more fun! I want to add a cheap dropper if I can find one that fits haha. I'm also putting together some longer 'gravel' routes out of my house that involve long climbs up dirt roads then twotrack/single track descents for 15-30 miles total. Looking for some tires that will be faster on the road portion. Was leaning towards the simworks super yummy but the price is a bit outta line. Anyone have suggestions?

I'm straight jealous. I would love to ride more trails, but I don't live anywhere close to dirt trails, and I find driving to places to ride my bike a bit backwards. LOL.

Andmoreagain

« Reply #3161 on: May 01, 2023, 10:09:40 AM »
I drive to ride all the time! Usually no more than 20 min but its totally worth it.

323-BALM

• Rep: 46
« Reply #3162 on: May 01, 2023, 01:26:19 PM »
dude you're already full rigid 26er, I'd say stick with the meatiest meats you can handle!

and look for one of the droppers with the underseat lever...no cables to route, way less expensive than remote-actuated droppers, and somewhere closer to your bike's vibe

I can't make it an hour on a hardtail, can't imagine riding with zero squish whatsoever. Kudos to you, @Andmoreagain
You've clearly never smelled a cauliflower fart.

Andmoreagain

« Reply #3163 on: May 01, 2023, 01:51:40 PM »
Haha it's definitely a compromise and I won't touch a drop over 3 feet on it. This thing is more about picking your line. I have a full squish and a dirt bike for getting rowdy.

The tires i'm looking at are 2.10 vs. the 2.25 that are on there so I won't lose much.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #3164 on: May 01, 2023, 03:11:00 PM »
full rigid mob haffi rule

Drangus

• Rep: 2
« Reply #3165 on: May 02, 2023, 09:00:06 AM »
Got this fun one for $40 yesterday morning. Had to break it in on some trails. keep you eyes open for these ones, they're pretty sick.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 51
« Reply #3166 on: May 02, 2023, 09:18:27 AM »
Buying a bike has made me like skateboarding more. Been having issues with the shifting, took it back to the shop and they tweaked something, but still having issues. Don’t feel like figuring out myself (or driving 20 minutes to another shop) so I guess I’ll be sticking to one gear.

Andmoreagain

« Reply #3167 on: May 02, 2023, 11:12:31 AM »
@Drangus that bike is a score for $40.

@OhioGuy indexing shifters is easy as hell altho a little tedious. Watch a youtube

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3168 on: May 02, 2023, 11:59:22 AM »
Buying a bike has made me like skateboarding more. Been having issues with the shifting, took it back to the shop and they tweaked something, but still having issues. Don’t feel like figuring out myself (or driving 20 minutes to another shop) so I guess I’ll be sticking to one gear.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3169 on: May 02, 2023, 12:01:59 PM »
Got this fun one for $40 yesterday morning. Had to break it in on some trails. keep you eyes open for these ones, they're pretty sick.

With everyone jumping on the vintage MTB bandwagon, I've surprised that there hasn't been more interest in the mid-to-high-end chromoly 90s hybrid bikes, especially since you can still readily find 700c tires and rims, whereas with 26" you're looking at an ever-dwindling stock.

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3170 on: May 02, 2023, 04:44:50 PM »
@Andmoreagain

where are you riding? That looks a lot like western MA/SE VT.

boston_bruins

« Reply #3171 on: May 02, 2023, 08:45:30 PM »
Is slap the new tarckbike? Maybe

Andmoreagain

« Reply #3172 on: May 02, 2023, 10:05:59 PM »
@Andmoreagain

wow good eye man you nailed it. Hilltowns 10 miles from vt

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #3173 on: May 03, 2023, 04:20:12 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

With everyone jumping on the vintage MTB bandwagon, I've surprised that there hasn't been more interest in the mid-to-high-end chromoly 90s hybrid bikes, especially since you can still readily find 700c tires and rims, whereas with 26" you're looking at an ever-dwindling stock.

i found a multitrack on the side of the road the other day! was missing a couple things but i think i've gotta save it. gotta start digging through the parts bins and see what i've got....
good come sausage

bartlaser

• Rep: 16
« Reply #3174 on: May 03, 2023, 07:30:49 AM »
Expand Quote
@Andmoreagain

[close]

Haha, I had the same thought. Looks a lot like some New England woods.  Almost looks like some trails I know around Burlington VT.

baegis

• Rep: 32
« Reply #3175 on: May 03, 2023, 07:37:55 AM »
My Steamroller

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 823
« Reply #3176 on: May 03, 2023, 07:56:23 AM »
Love a Steamroller. I believe Surly is going to discontinue them. I've been riding one on the daily for about sixteen years.

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3177 on: May 03, 2023, 10:30:02 AM »
Love a Steamroller. I believe Surly is going to discontinue them. I've been riding one on the daily for about sixteen years.

no kidding. kinda glad no one has wanted to buy my 2010 steamroller then! hahah I do wish it was a slight bit bigger though. toes often hit the wheels and i'm not trying to eat it like that...

Expand Quote
@Andmoreagain

[close]

i knew it. I've spent a lotta time in berkshire (north adams, clarksburg) and franklin counties (greenfield, bernardston).

Was actually trying to move back out that way but it's not in the cards right now.

I've had some pretty great day loops from NA to Bratt and half day loops from NA to Bennington. Really great riding out there as long as you have the gears...

fuck the first place i rode a fixie was in NA. We ate some paper L and my buddy said "try this bike out. just dont stop pedaling or you'll die." I rode that shit all over that night hahah

Andmoreagain

« Reply #3178 on: May 03, 2023, 11:50:24 AM »

i knew it. I've spent a lotta time in berkshire (north adams, clarksburg) and franklin counties (greenfield, bernardston).

Was actually trying to move back out that way but it's not in the cards right now.

I've had some pretty great day loops from NA to Bratt and half day loops from NA to Bennington. Really great riding out there as long as you have the gears...

fuck the first place i rode a fixie was in NA. We ate some paper L and my buddy said "try this bike out. just dont stop pedaling or you'll die." I rode that shit all over that night hahah

Its a great area for it. There is amazing riding in the hilltowns for sure although it can be tiring for me lol. There are some fairly sick flow and enduro trails over in Charlemont now cus of the bike park, and also in deerfield on the ridge.

For skating its another story and I don't skate so much since i moved here. Greenfield is getting a new park that looks awesome though.

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3179 on: May 03, 2023, 05:22:13 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Its a great area for it. There is amazing riding in the hilltowns for sure although it can be tiring for me lol. There are some fairly sick flow and enduro trails over in Charlemont now cus of the bike park, and also in deerfield on the ridge.

For skating its another story and I don't skate so much since i moved here. Greenfield is getting a new park that looks awesome though.

The hilltowns lol i spent some formative years in a cabin up in Heath. I bet the mtn biking is rad!

I think there is or was a bowl in chicopee. The northampton park used to be hella fun. This dude who used to post here back when, @ahlee, was a major ripper out that way if i do recall correctly. Ots been a long time but i remember making some good street missions into pittsfield as well. North adams was the gnarliest hill bombs i ever did too, oh man… i was very drunk one morning and decided to do this hill that had 3 or 4 intersection dips. Made it to the second one and my sled shot out and i went superman. Was wearing a wife beater and gym shorts. Left me picking gravel outta my ribs for a steady year!!!

Anyways, this is the bikes thread. Have fun out there. If i remember, ill hit ya up next time im on g-field.