Author Topic: The worst 3 pros in history  (Read 39215 times)

lampshade

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: The worst 3 pros in history
« Reply #180 on: February 24, 2021, 06:33:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Chris Roberts
Rob Dyrdek
Steve Berra

And Jose Rojo because the last two don’t really count since they’re awful by default.
[close]

I'd love to hear how Dyrdek was a "bad" pro. He produced a bunch of footage spanned out over his decently long career, sold a ton of product, ripped demos and gave back a TON to skateboarding out of his own pocket in multiple ways.

Agree with this about Dyrdek.  He ripped before all the MTV schnanagins, ad did a lot for skateboarding.  Also- I like to watch Jose Rojo skate.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
« Reply #181 on: February 24, 2021, 06:39:59 AM »
the program with this goddamn thread is that it was never said how we're judging pros.

aesthetic? personality? ability on a skate board? all 3 lead to wildly different answers.
The OP did clarify they were talking about personality

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #182 on: February 24, 2021, 06:50:41 AM »
Expand Quote
the program with this goddamn thread is that it was never said how we're judging pros.

aesthetic? personality? ability on a skate board? all 3 lead to wildly different answers.
[close]

Yeah that's boring though, this entire messageboard is shitting on pros' personalities we don't need to rate them. The skill argument is more interesting
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 353
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #183 on: February 24, 2021, 08:17:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Yeah that's boring though, this entire messageboard is shitting on pros' personalities we don't need to rate them. The skill argument is more interesting

skill argument is way more fun, and makes me feel like im 15 and hanging out at my local skate park again, talking shit with my friends

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #184 on: February 24, 2021, 09:12:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

skill argument is way more fun, and makes me feel like im 15 and hanging out at my local skate park again, talking shit with my friends
I feel bad talking shit on pros’ skill because maybe they’ll read it and feel bad about themselves. unless I also think they’re assholes, like Bam

Backside LameFlip

• Rep: -16
« Reply #185 on: February 24, 2021, 09:54:26 AM »
Chris dobstaff - awful style, bad tricks selection
Chet Thomas - had a career based on his ability to hardflip
Nate Sherwood - one of the worst style in the game plus he has the face of a trisomic
Haters hate only the things they can't have and the people they can't be.

OMSK

• Rep: 39
« Reply #186 on: February 24, 2021, 10:52:49 AM »
this reminds me of the time the Dew Tour came to Portland in the early/mid 00s and some (not all) of the vert dudes decided to go skate burnside. I have never seen so many dudes who got paid by big sponsors, not be able to carve corners or actually skate anything that wasn't back and forth.... glad transition/vert has progressed.

TheFandangler

• Rep: 15
« Reply #187 on: February 24, 2021, 11:01:58 AM »
Nate Sherwood - one of the worst style in the game plus he has the face of a trisomic

While Dobstaff might have one of the worst style's, personalities, and trick selections in pro skateboarding, he also did some really fucked up tricks. He also got a Thrasher cover in the height of the gnar-phase of the 2000s.
I feel kinda the same about Chet. I never liked watching him skate, but he definitely did some tricks nobody else could do. And while I think the hardflip certainly defined the later stage of his career, he was a child prodigy from the late 80s that could fuck up a mini ramp and the streets.
Also, Nate Sherwood is really the low-hanging fruit here, isn't he? Weak pick. He wasn't even a legit pro.

You're going to go pick these three while leaving TK and Felix Arguelles out of the question?

Croquet temper

• Rep: -35
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #188 on: February 24, 2021, 11:45:20 AM »
this reminds me of the time the Dew Tour came to Portland in the early/mid 00s and some (not all) of the vert dudes decided to go skate burnside. I have never seen so many dudes who got paid by big sponsors, not be able to carve corners or actually skate anything that wasn't back and forth.... glad transition/vert has progressed.

Who were some of them? This is interesting, I always assumed vert skaters could shred a park at least somewhat. Usually, I remember being surprised by what a lot of vert dudes can do away from the ramp.

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #189 on: February 24, 2021, 11:56:26 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

While Dobstaff might have one of the worst style's, personalities, and trick selections in pro skateboarding, he also did some really fucked up tricks. He also got a Thrasher cover in the height of the gnar-phase of the 2000s.
I feel kinda the same about Chet. I never liked watching him skate, but he definitely did some tricks nobody else could do. And while I think the hardflip certainly defined the later stage of his career, he was a child prodigy from the late 80s that could fuck up a mini ramp and the streets.
Also, Nate Sherwood is really the low-hanging fruit here, isn't he? Weak pick. He wasn't even a legit pro.

You're going to go pick these three while leaving TK and Felix Arguelles out of the question?
if you've ever seen Chet skate in real life you'd have a much different story, all those quarter pipe tricks he did in video parts were first try at demos

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #190 on: February 24, 2021, 11:58:52 AM »
Expand Quote
In speed freaks rob roskopp had a single of a fakie Ollie decker on a mini ramp . I’m always triggered by how revered his board graphics are , by how badly he sucked .
[close]

I always wondered how he was pro for bombing a footpath & skating a ditch to shit music, but people were pro for contests at the time, not videos. Never really heard of him at the time though, asides from his board series.
Didn't Roskopp decide to retire cuz he couldn't learn to Mctwist? the timeframes seem off cuz I feel like he had a board till the early 90s, but either wheels or fire or Streets of fire they fake him doing a Mctwist in the intro. a Bailed Mctwist merged with a landed backside air.

TheFandangler

• Rep: 15
« Reply #191 on: February 24, 2021, 12:02:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
if you've ever seen Chet skate in real life you'd have a much different story, all those quarter pipe tricks he did in video parts were first try at demos

I can't tell if you think Chet rips or sucks.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 307
« Reply #192 on: February 24, 2021, 12:05:49 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Who were some of them? This is interesting, I always assumed vert skaters could shred a park at least somewhat. Usually, I remember being surprised by what a lot of vert dudes can do away from the ramp.

I was lucky to see a shit ton of pros come through and skate FDR back in the late 90s-2010. It was more common to see "street" pros who had a tough time although I remember Brian Patch and Rune Glifberg showing up the day of some TV contest and having kind of a shitty time. Rune said he had a hard time keeping speed and Patch simply declared the park sucked and macked on jailbait back at Bam's.  (Omar Hassan came three days early, learned a bunch of lines and won it)

OMSK

• Rep: 39
« Reply #193 on: February 24, 2021, 01:29:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Mainly the guys who skated the Dew Tour vert ramp, not the park dudes, obviously. It's been so long I wouldn't want to out anyone and be wrong, haha. I just remember a few dudes had their trucks so tight they wouldn't have been able to carve, even if they could. maybe they were having an off day, I dunno, I was just surprised.... I can say it WASNT guys like Bucky or Omar etc...

Vomit Lust

• Rep: 83
« Reply #194 on: February 24, 2021, 01:46:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Mainly the guys who skated the Dew Tour vert ramp, not the park dudes, obviously. It's been so long I wouldn't want to out anyone and be wrong, haha. I just remember a few dudes had their trucks so tight they wouldn't have been able to carve, even if they could. maybe they were having an off day, I dunno, I was just surprised.... I can say it WASNT guys like Bucky or Omar etc...

I came up in the late 80’s and 90’s and took about a ten year break where I never skated on a regular basis. All the concrete parks popped up in that time. I had no idea how to ride a park despite being a huge fan of mini ramps before that. It took a while to learn to keep moving in a flow bowl scenario.

PlugSkullcandy

• Rep: 93
« Reply #195 on: February 24, 2021, 01:51:11 PM »
Aren’t the worst the ones that turn themselves pro ?

Back in the day I hated Nate Sherwood skate style

Backside LameFlip

• Rep: -16
« Reply #196 on: February 25, 2021, 03:31:30 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Not arguing with your picks.
We've seen many pros in companies that are not deserving their spots because low skills and bad style.
But I think this topic is about personal opinions. For me those three pros are awful and I skipped their part everytime I see their name appear.
I think i can add LENNY RIVAS also. throwing gangsta signs with the worst style, low speed and some awful nollie inward heel.
Haters hate only the things they can't have and the people they can't be.

backside_reacharound

• Rep: -231
« Reply #197 on: February 25, 2021, 04:54:17 AM »
Chad Fernandez
Dave Mayhew
Dave Coyne

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #198 on: February 25, 2021, 09:16:31 AM »
KA doesn’t see anything wrong with a love potion/roofie board graphic

Pete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
  • Free Max B
« Reply #199 on: February 25, 2021, 09:23:55 AM »
damn chocolate really fuckin sucks in 2021.

free max b
FREE MAX B

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #200 on: February 25, 2021, 10:28:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Chris Roberts
Rob Dyrdek
Steve Berra

And Jose Rojo because the last two don’t really count since they’re awful by default.
[close]

I'd love to hear how Dyrdek was a "bad" pro. He produced a bunch of footage spanned out over his decently long career, sold a ton of product, ripped demos and gave back a TON to skateboarding out of his own pocket in multiple ways.
[close]

Agree with this about Dyrdek.  He ripped before all the MTV schnanagins, ad did a lot for skateboarding.  Also- I like to watch Jose Rojo skate.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #201 on: February 25, 2021, 10:59:23 AM »
You know who else sucked? The Pappas brothers

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 335
« Reply #202 on: February 25, 2021, 05:03:09 PM »
Aaron Herrington has been complete garbage since turning pro.

quesly

• Rep: 14
« Reply #203 on: February 25, 2021, 05:26:13 PM »
a child Tom Schaar and Mitchie Brusco both landed a 900 before Tas Pappas and they still made a whole "documentary" about how he was screwed over by Tony Hawk.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #204 on: February 25, 2021, 07:13:15 PM »
i’m basing this off of personal combination of trick selection and memorability (i.e. the ability to communicate your personal style effectively)

1. phil hajal

2. chad fernandez

3. shaun white (i don’t know if skateboarding can truly have an industry plant but if it did it’s him)

Star Whores Episode I: The Fellatio Menace

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 229
« Reply #205 on: February 25, 2021, 08:43:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
a child Tom Schaar and Mitchie Brusco both landed a 900 before Tas Pappas and they still made a whole "documentary" about how he was screwed over by Tony Hawk.

Member when his doc failed to mention that Globe put on an entire contest in Australia set up for Tas to land the 900 first and be the hero, and he couldn't do it?
if post- retirement duke nukem bagged that azz i have a chance too

shopdeck

• Rep: 3
« Reply #206 on: February 25, 2021, 09:17:48 PM »
Woah! A lot of hate here for Josh Harmony! The pretty boy was pretty good. Suffer the Joy (a weak Toy Machine film in general) starts out with parts from Matt B and Austin Stephens that look like they were played in slow motion. Really not good. Then Josh rips to Lil Richard! Its a good part!

Jose Rojo is a weird call for this list too! But he has that weird Eldridge thing where his best footage came from his am days. His tricks in Man Down were chill but then years later he had like a one minute part in Oververt.

My pick for worst pro is MIKEY TAYLOR. He never developed a style of his own and changed his fit as soon as something else became trendy. In ADDition you have the sins of annoying post-skate career and a terrible social media shtick. An overall annoying and grating skater. I wish i could delete his part from Skate More.

Uh Oh

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 370
« Reply #207 on: February 25, 2021, 09:20:54 PM »
My pick for worst pro is MIKEY TAYLOR. He never developed a style of his own and changed his fit as soon as something else became trendy. In ADDition you have the sins of annoying post-skate career and a terrible social media shtick. An overall annoying and grating skater. I wish i could delete his part from Skate More.

atheosx

• Rep: -17
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #208 on: February 26, 2021, 05:08:29 AM »
Chetty Thomas had that akward park ripper contest style look and vibe. Kind of thing where you are sitting back relaxing watching his video part and coming away inspired to go out and roll. Your just watching it seeing whats possible and going huh, weird bag of tricks but he sure does his thing.

Then he sold a fuckload of shoes to a point where they were re-released to a bunch of people that had no business skateboarding and for that, he doesnt count as the worst pro. Because he surely made globe a TON of money.

And he made for a reference in that Jimmy Carlin video.

No Wave Comply

• Rep: 141
  • Phantom of the Skatepark
« Reply #209 on: February 26, 2021, 10:33:20 AM »
jason rothmeyer? no, he could flow but leigh peterson? someone said gagne, he wasn't 'bad' just bad to look at. if he's one of the worst we've gotta add kelch to the list.
serge trudnoski was pretty limited in trick selection.
feel like peter bici didn't do many tricks either.
ryan hickey was great to watch in the few tricks he filmed but for being unproductive, he's up there.

I was totally considering mentioning James Kelch. He's a huge personality, but never really produced anything remarkable. I think he just lived off his EMB ambassador role for as long as possible.

Serge Trudnowski was pro? I thought he just rode for Sub Zero. He was part of a heavy crew, but yeah, so overshadowed by Fred Gall, Ricky Oyola and Matt Reason.

Totally agree about Peter Bici and, to a lesser extent, Ryan Hickey. They looked like male models and had lots of style, but didn't put much out there. I mean, shit, Hickey was on Stereo for a minute, so he must've really had something that most of us didn't get to see. Anyone that was on Stereo 92-96 gets a pass from me, but that was my favorite company at the time, so I'm biased.
a grunt  a mudhog  a slimedog
a simple servant  a hired hand

“Come in here dear boy, have a gnar, you’re gonna go far!”