Author Topic: New Balance # containment thread  (Read 799215 times)

prosandcons and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

wax poetic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 44
  • fuck it, I'll stir the pot
Re: New Balance # containment thread
« Reply #8220 on: January 08, 2024, 11:24:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Man, loving the 600's so far.  Won't get to skate them until next weekend but I think they are my new shoe.  To the point where I may sell my couple pair of 480's even.  Just got the smurfs and may grab the green ones today too.
[close]
In your opinion, what makes them better than the 480s?

I don't know if I'd say better, just different.

I won't know definitively until after I skate them, but so far they fit my feet just a little bit better (each of us have different shaped feet so I don't know if that would be the same for all), they feel lighter (not sure if this is true, but compared to the Boss 480's I took off, they felt it), they will be more breathable (important because it gets hot where I live).

JoeyLebs

• Rep: 1
« Reply #8221 on: January 08, 2024, 12:43:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Re: the wide 574s.. A little google digging shows that a wide version was already released a few years ago, and based on these reviews, they were still narrower than regular width shoes.  Looking at the underside view on the NB site, the shape slims down so much behind the toebox that even an extra 1/2” wouldn’t give you much midfoot room at all. 

Hate to be such a diva over this, but would really like an actual measurement diagram, or comparison pictures, or anything that’s actually helpful in determining if this shoe would be a good fit or not.  Evidently, many of the previous “wide” 574 purchasers weren’t happy, and it would be good to know if NB addressed these issues or are just putting the same shoe out again.

Same goes for the 272, 440v2, and any future wide models.
[close]
The older 574's were cupsole and the Numeric NM574's are a vulc so they will for sure have a different fit than those reviewed above. 
I don't know what the stats are but will ask the design team on how much wider the 2E really is but from my limited knowledge, the 2E mold is pretty standard between our models across NB.  People who were looking for the wide shoes previously that reviewed might have really been looking for 4E or something on the much wider scale.  I feel like someone skating who just needs a little extra space width wise should benefit from the 2E's here.
[close]

Skate shoes most likely to fit hobbit feet:
6. Dunk/Jordan 1
5. Marana
4. Tyshawn Lows/Pros, Campus, Nora's
3. Project BA
2. Am574, CT574 All Coasts 574, or AM425, all in 2e (@rothdigga was there a major difference in the construction of these 574 models? They all seem identical to me). Maybe those reviews were for really large feet but for short/wide feet this shoe rules. Can’t wait for my 2e Vulcs to arrive…
1. Asics Vic NBD is unequivocally the widest skate shoe I’ve ever tried. I need to size down on my next pair to properly skate them though. However with half the shoe being mesh they aren’t ideal for PNW winters. Oddly enough a NB rep in Portland told me to check out shoes made for Asian markets because they typically have wider feet and thus their shoes wider lasts.
Hope this helps.

Also, are we getting 440 highs in 2e?
sorry that this isn’t relevant to NB#, but you convinced me to get a pair of the Asics Vic NBD’s, since I too identify as having hobbit feet. I can’t say these are the widest shoes I’ve ever owned, but they are definitely wider than other current offerings on the market. there’s a bit more space all around in the forefoot, although they actually taper in quite aggressively towards the toebox, so much so that in my normal size (9.5US) I can feel the tips of my toes touching the inside of the upper on my middle and ring toes (lol). of course, everyone’s feet are different. these are super comfy, though, and I’m glad they work for you!
also s/o to the sale gear thread bc I got these for $57 shipped from Blue Flowers.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2024, 02:13:15 PM by JoeyLebs »

wax poetic

« Reply #8222 on: January 09, 2024, 06:32:19 AM »
35th has some good looking deals on some NB's right now, thought I'd share...

https://35thnorth.com/collections/new-balance-numeric/?sort_by=price-ascending

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1964
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #8223 on: January 09, 2024, 06:45:42 AM »
First Skate Shop is doing BOGO on shoes, lots of 1010s and sizes:

https://www.firstgearskateshop.com/shop/shoes/33

Works out to be around $55 a pair with the discount, everyone seems to be ditching their old inventory for the new colorways.

They are also doing 50% off the 2nd deck you purchase.

X-post from The Sale Thread
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Gleefull508

• Rep: 22
« Reply #8224 on: January 09, 2024, 07:26:15 AM »
Guy I follow @couldbplush on ig posted a pic of these black and green new balance 880 looking things. Looked like a lifestyle chiller version of the 880 def not a skate shoe. But looked cool none the less. Do I just not know about these shoes or are these new? He thanked Jordan taylor in the story so I assume taylor hooked him up. Wish I screenshotted but it might still be there if osmeone wants to look. Im working right now and just remembered, no IG on work computer and no phone to check

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
« Reply #8225 on: January 09, 2024, 08:41:04 AM »
Same for me, TTS on both.

What did you think of the 417s?  The Weartested review said go half a size down because they run big.  They also look wide as hell in this photo, but Tactics said they were narrow in their review which I don’t understand how.

In A Jar

• Rep: 35
    • just say null avatar image
« Reply #8226 on: January 09, 2024, 09:03:07 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What did you think of the 417s?  The Weartested review said go half a size down because they run big.  They also look wide as hell in this photo, but Tactics said they were narrow in their review which I don’t understand how.

Tried them on a couple of times because I really want to support Franky, but they were way too narrow for me. 

finecojeffe

• Rep: 131
    • Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #8227 on: January 09, 2024, 09:47:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Tried them on a couple of times because I really want to support Franky, but they were way too narrow for me.
I second this. I actually bought a pair though. They definitely wear on my pinky toe so I've had to use my shoe stretcher to push that part out. I didn't find it narrow anywhere else though, but in the very front.

MetalAnkleMan

• Rep: 17
« Reply #8228 on: January 09, 2024, 10:14:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
I second this. I actually bought a pair though. They definitely wear on my pinky toe so I've had to use my shoe stretcher to push that part out. I didn't find it narrow anywhere else though, but in the very front.

I wear TTS 9.5 in 1010 & 417. 417, as others stated, were a little too narrow in the front, squeezing my outer big toe and pinky toe. Wearable but not a perfect fit per say.

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
« Reply #8229 on: January 09, 2024, 11:34:46 AM »
Damn y’all were spot on, just tried them on and lengthwise/width wise they were great everywhere but the toe pinched big time.  Tried on the Foys too, felt too tight in the arch/instep similar to the 1010. 

What’s fucked is that I never bothered trying Blazers because they’re known for being notoriously narrow, but for some reason they felt great on my flat wide feet.  Goes to show you really gotta try stuff on in person.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2024, 05:59:50 AM by Coastal Fever »

ToasterBiscuitz

• Rep: 3
« Reply #8230 on: January 09, 2024, 06:58:55 PM »
First impressions of the new 574 Vulc wides that arrived today is that they are longer than the previous 574 cupsole models in my size (9) and much heavier too. The insoles I had made for the cupsole shoes in size 9 are about a pinky length short for the vulcs. I think I got to send them all back and size down.  Been waiting (and pestering NB) for years to get wide shoes back so you know I bought one of each color the day they released. @rothdigga did warn me and say they were a different shoe Oh well grab both 8.5/8 this time since stock is low for wides.

Mongo Lloyd

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 168
« Reply #8231 on: January 09, 2024, 07:05:36 PM »
It’s crazy to me that anyone would suggest half size down on 417’s. The toebox tts for me is too short.

If anything I’d suggest half sizing up.
Do you get deja vu, huh?

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #8232 on: January 10, 2024, 07:25:37 AM »
Are there any NBs with a lower arch than the 440s? They’re killing my flat feet by the end of the day

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #8233 on: January 10, 2024, 08:48:23 AM »
Are there any NBs with a lower arch than the 440s? They’re killing my flat feet by the end of the day

Isn’t that an insole issue and not a shoe one?   (Genuinely asking)

wax poetic

« Reply #8234 on: January 10, 2024, 09:02:57 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

@rothdigga will hopefully chime in with an answer soon as I don't really know either and I have higher arches so I really have nothing to add.  Sorry guys

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 650
« Reply #8235 on: January 10, 2024, 09:55:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

@rothdigga will hopefully chime in with an answer soon as I don't really know either and I have higher arches so I really have nothing to add.  Sorry guys
I have terribly bad flat feet, like to the point where it causes me knee and leg issues, and in my experience the only arch support that's in most skate shoes is in the insole. I skated the 440s and swapped the stock insoles out for some popcush ones, and I didn't have any issues with the arch support. Maybe try swapping the insoles in your 440s for some old ones from a pair of shoes that you didn't have any arch pain in?

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1341
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #8236 on: January 10, 2024, 02:01:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
I have terribly bad flat feet, like to the point where it causes me knee and leg issues, and in my experience the only arch support that's in most skate shoes is in the insole. I skated the 440s and swapped the stock insoles out for some popcush ones, and I didn't have any issues with the arch support. Maybe try swapping the insoles in your 440s for some old ones from a pair of shoes that you didn't have any arch pain in?
440s are vastly improved by the Superfeet insoles that you can get either with NB branding or without. They're some kind of Polyurethane and Carbon Fiber construction and tend to be pretty stiff so figure out what kind of arch support you need and go with the corresponding insoles. Throw the stock ones in the shoe parts box.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1964
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #8237 on: January 10, 2024, 06:15:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]
440s are vastly improved by the Superfeet insoles that you can get either with NB branding or without. They're some kind of Polyurethane and Carbon Fiber construction and tend to be pretty stiff so figure out what kind of arch support you need and go with the corresponding insoles. Throw the stock ones in the shoe parts box.

100%, there isn't a pair of skate shoes available that will provide arch support for flat feet. FP's Gamechanger insoles claim to provide arch support but they are way too mushy, maybe cushion but not the rigid support your arch needs.

Get a pair from Superfeet (or even Aliexpress) and your knees / feet will thank you. They will also prevent or reduce the growth of bunions (https://solebliss.com/pages/bunions-foot-problems). And I would take them with you when you're shopping for your next pair of skate shoes since they add substantial volume vs the stock insole - you may have to go 1/2 a size bigger or go with your TTS fit and gradually break the shoes in.

I know there's a lot of discussion on whether insoles with arch support help or hurt your foot health, but I'm 100% on rigid insole with some cushion for my flat feet. I use a pair for every shoe (work, skate, chiller, running) and my arch went from completely flat to some lift after 2 years of use.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

magnegro

• Rep: 12
« Reply #8238 on: January 11, 2024, 02:50:26 PM »
General question…was closely looking at the 808 and 1010. Are they considered vulc or cup?

jimgrude

• Rep: 67
« Reply #8239 on: January 11, 2024, 03:19:39 PM »
General question…was closely looking at the 808 and 1010. Are they considered vulc or cup?

I had a look at them from about 20 miles away, and can confidently report that they are cupsoles.

one80

• Rep: 14
« Reply #8240 on: January 11, 2024, 03:32:05 PM »
agreed with the 417s being a bit narrow for us wide-dogged pals, swapped for thinner insoles and they are now suuper comfy. gotta support Frank!

magnegro

• Rep: 12
« Reply #8241 on: January 11, 2024, 03:42:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I had a look at them from about 20 miles away, and can confidently report that they are cupsoles.

That’s what I thought lol. For some reason, I always relate cupsoles with being able to see the stitching on the midsole/outsole?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1017
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #8242 on: January 11, 2024, 05:04:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

As someone that dabbles in replacement insoles (and having tried FP, 3 variants of Superfeet, and numerous shits off Amazon), for the cost, you'd be hard pressed to beat these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075YH3D7N?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Thin forefoot, SERIOUS arch support, medium/to mild cushioning, nice deep heel cup (something I felt the 440) was lacking; having skated 440s, and noted numerous times in this thread, the stock 440 insoles are trash, these would work very well.

For something with a little less arch (and aslo heat moldable with a hairdryer but doesn't squish out with foot heat like FP) these are a very good price point as well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08MXSFPLZ/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
« Last Edit: January 11, 2024, 05:12:16 PM by Xen »

Ryantology

• Rep: 1
  • thingsgetweird.
    • thingsgetweird avatar image
« Reply #8243 on: January 11, 2024, 06:09:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]

As someone that dabbles in replacement insoles (and having tried FP, 3 variants of Superfeet, and numerous shits off Amazon), for the cost, you'd be hard pressed to beat these:

Thin forefoot, SERIOUS arch support, medium/to mild cushioning, nice deep heel cup (something I felt the 440) was lacking; having skated 440s, and noted numerous times in this thread, the stock 440 insoles are trash, these would work very well.

For something with a little less arch (and aslo heat moldable with a hairdryer but doesn't squish out with foot heat like FP) these are a very good price point as well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08MXSFPLZ/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Do you go true to size with those insoles in the 440 or size up?

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #8244 on: January 11, 2024, 06:15:12 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The insoles are pretty flat in them, and there's an arch to the shoe itself. 

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
Ok cool, might take my Vans Era Pro insoles and see how they go.  Cheers.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2024, 07:18:10 PM by radcunt »

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #8245 on: January 12, 2024, 11:29:19 AM »
For long standing and walking, are 808 or 1010 more comfortable?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1017
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #8246 on: January 12, 2024, 11:55:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

Do you go true to size with those insoles in the 440 or size up?

I did not use them in the 440s, I only eluded to the fact that based on my experience with each that I felt they would work very well (the 440 to me was nice and roomy and could accommodate this insole).

As for the insole, I have had no problems using it true to size shoes I'm currently running (600, rowan and my cross trainers nike/adidas). It's a very standard thickness for the most part but with just a honking arch and slight heel cup...which could be the only drawback with the 440s, for my foot I found the footbed of that show pretty shallow and using a 7mm FP insole didn't feel right in the heel, like my foot was sitting too high/the ankle collar sitting too low.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8247 on: January 12, 2024, 12:35:40 PM »
Both but if I have to choose only one I'd go for 1010
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

YeoWhattup

• Rep: 22
« Reply #8248 on: January 12, 2024, 02:04:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Man, loving the 600's so far.  Won't get to skate them until next weekend but I think they are my new shoe.  To the point where I may sell my couple pair of 480's even.  Just got the smurfs and may grab the green ones today too.
[close]
In your opinion, what makes them better than the 480s?

IMO the 600 is better than the 480 because it’s thinner with just as much impact protection and I don’t get any heel slip. I prefer the flick on them too. Also seems to be more durable so far

Scarecrow Radio

• Rep: 30
  • we are the music makers
« Reply #8249 on: January 12, 2024, 05:13:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Both but if I have to choose only one I'd go for 1010
I second this