Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 720752 times)

Zane

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 4
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #5730 on: March 02, 2024, 02:50:33 PM »
At my shop it’s split probably 60% hard wheels and 40% softer wheels, meaning f4 97/oj nomad 95/dragons 93/ x formula 97.
A lot of people are curious, pretty rough ground in Washington and to access some of the spots it’s a necessity to ride something softer than 99.
A lot of people love dragon wheels here, it’s crazy how fast they are too if you’ve never tried them. But the downsides are obvious if you skate parks/transition or metal edged ledges/curbs.
The f4 93 I tested weren’t as grabby on the metal as the dragons though, I like them a lot. Just not enough to only want to skate them.

Did they give you any idea of a release date?

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5731 on: March 02, 2024, 03:29:35 PM »
93 Spits sound interesting but is there a point getting them if I already like the dragons? Maybe if they're cheaper and perform similarly. I like Spitfire shapes a bit more than Powell/Bones. Radial/Rf in 93 would be dreamy.

I guess more than anything it is to have a Spitfire brand wheel in that duro, as there are a lot of people who are either on Spitfire or only ride Spitfire, so they can enjoy a wheel in that duro, without having to sneak in a set of blanked other brand wheels.  Funny how others might have done that with Formula Four if they were on other brands - actually seen and know a few people in that situation, just like some guys skated different brand boards and painted or stickered them.

But anyway, back to Spitfire, they had Soft Ds which worked well enough, but were not Formula Four wheels, then the 97 duro wheels came out and they are great for a lot of things, so I would think a softer duro Formula Four wheel would be a welcome addition to the brands wheel options and would definitely be getting some in Classic, Radial or Conical Full shape to try, or maybe all three shapes in different sizes.

Just wait and see I guess.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #5732 on: March 02, 2024, 04:08:00 PM »
Expand Quote
At my shop it’s split probably 60% hard wheels and 40% softer wheels, meaning f4 97/oj nomad 95/dragons 93/ x formula 97.
A lot of people are curious, pretty rough ground in Washington and to access some of the spots it’s a necessity to ride something softer than 99.
A lot of people love dragon wheels here, it’s crazy how fast they are too if you’ve never tried them. But the downsides are obvious if you skate parks/transition or metal edged ledges/curbs.
The f4 93 I tested weren’t as grabby on the metal as the dragons though, I like them a lot. Just not enough to only want to skate them.
[close]

Did they give you any idea of a release date?
Nope, still developing.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1018
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #5733 on: March 02, 2024, 06:16:59 PM »
93 Spits sound interesting but is there a point getting them if I already like the dragons? Maybe if they're cheaper and perform similarly. I like Spitfire shapes a bit more than Powell/Bones. Radial/Rf in 93 would be dreamy.

Depends on what you are skating? All things being equal with rebound/crust but if the 93a spits handle metal better for pinch/slides/etc., and that's what you are into and find the x-formula lacking there, why not?

As someone who wasn't a fan of the 97a formula four (didn't like the slide), I'm not holding my breath for the 93 spits, especially since my use case for 93s isn't critical, x99s do fine.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #5734 on: March 02, 2024, 06:57:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I recommended crust burners but no response.
[close]

Crust Burners and I think of amateur pizza chefs

Anyone feel like the hype around Dragons and X-Formula 97a / 99a has died down and everyone is just going back to F4? Only the older gear nerds bother with Powell / Bones stuff, all the younger guys have stuck with F4s. New stuff is always going to move the sales chart but I wonder if Spitfire investing all this money for R&D is worth it.
[close]

Yeah, I don't know, I feel like the younger guys aren't really even that much aware of especially the X-Formulas. They seem to cater more for the middle age market. All hypes naturally die down at some point and for sure some peeps will go back to F4s, but there is certainly a segment (myself included) who will keep the X-Formulas/Dragons as a permament part of their wheel quiver. Not necessarily as something to replace F4, but as a welcome addition to cater for various purposes.
[close]
I have heard the entire Late Nite Stars guys have all switched to dragons. Makes sense for the streets of NY and I think they also like it for the bonus irony points of being on trend guys riding dragons.

i don’t even know who the Late Nite Stars guys are! i kinda love this. i don’t know what the cool things are.

how long for my dragons to wear down? i got 55s and they are huuuuuuuge heavy and fast.  it rad to flip attempt tho. they are so soft and comfy i don’t want to take them off.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5735 on: March 02, 2024, 07:12:09 PM »

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #5736 on: March 02, 2024, 08:14:21 PM »
Expand Quote

how long for my dragons to wear down?
[close]

Get busy
https://youtu.be/3MqGcx5mecc?si=xwux-d4f3dHF7dIo

so good.
i feel like i gotta get this low to make my dragons slide.

i live in Washington and 144p is per usual, very correct in that soft wheels open up a ton of spots.
once i learn how to speed check on dragons i’ll all in. i’m shit at tricks, don’t need hard wheels.

probably gonna set up some 52 conical fulls tomorrow.
spitfire still the goat for me

logjammin

• Rep: 346
« Reply #5737 on: March 03, 2024, 03:01:58 AM »
After a winter of being on some dragons at the indoor, I put on an old set of 97a radial fulls since I'm too broke to try the x97's right now and they feel amazing. Nothing like some broken-in potato F4's. All these newer ones are white, what's up with that?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5738 on: March 03, 2024, 10:42:45 AM »
After a winter of being on some dragons at the indoor, I put on an old set of 97a radial fulls since I'm too broke to try the x97's right now and they feel amazing. Nothing like some broken-in potato F4's. All these newer ones are white, what's up with that?

Yeah...my last set of 99a lockins (from the last drop) were REALLY white by F4 standards...

Next to new (probably new old stock tho) spit classics; they also felt muuuuuch harder than my 99a black conicals

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #5739 on: March 03, 2024, 11:10:36 AM »
I have noticed at the shop the colors of the wheels vary a lot. I have a theory about the less common shapes like the lock in full/radial full that they are smaller runs so the urethane mixture is a smaller batch and maybe more accurate? Classics and conical full are the most popular and common shapes so they tend to be made in larger batches and maybe when making that many sets it’s tougher to dial in the ingredients and quantity.

Mind you this is just me spouting shit and not based off anything said by anyone at dlx.

I do tend to look for the browner ones when I get new wheels and it makes me feel like they are somehow better but probably not.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 825
« Reply #5740 on: March 03, 2024, 04:17:57 PM »
I also prefer the browner/ yellower F4s both to look at and ride. Can’t stand bright white wheels.

logjammin

• Rep: 346
« Reply #5741 on: March 03, 2024, 07:42:13 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah...my last set of 99a lockins (from the last drop) were REALLY white by F4 standards...

Next to new (probably new old stock tho) spit classics; they also felt muuuuuch harder than my 99a black conicals

Someone should DM thiebaud and ask if they're putting white dye in them now lol. I actually don't mind white wheels, it's just when it comes to F4's specifically, their signature schtick isn't just the performance, but that natural urethane color which sets them apart. Especially when they were first released because no one else was doing it. Then Bones started using a shade of dye to make them look like natural urethane lol.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 53
« Reply #5742 on: March 03, 2024, 07:44:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Someone should DM thiebaud and ask if they're putting white dye in them now lol. I actually don't mind white wheels, it's just when it comes to F4's specifically, their signature schtick isn't just the performance, but that natural urethane color which sets them apart. Especially when they were first released because no one else was doing it. Then Bones started using a shade of dye to make them look like natural urethane lol.
They have to be. My Lock-In Fulls are white, not off white like the other ones.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 953
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #5743 on: March 03, 2024, 09:50:08 PM »
Slide better than the 97s for sure. I would choose the 93 over the 97.

You got me going now. I believe you. I love softer wheels. Spent a good partof my life relying on them to get arounf the city once Beloved the raleigh chopper passed away. Was a reissue all aluminum frame too. Custom seat. Now its the center piece of a garden. I lost two West coast chopper bikes right before that. And i had given my vintage 26" to brother Joe ACAB. Soft wheels and ceramics was a mando move.

Im head over heels for my 97a 58mm Conical Full. It seems like the best wheel ive ever had in my life. Second being the Radial Full in 54.

Itd be sick if they did did like powell and reissued a few old wheel shapes. You know for the OGs. Limited thing. DO like smokies for the 90s cats. With the modern shapes.
I feel like the wider shapes will perform best..
as 93a dragons that are 58x 33 "A" cut side walls (rat bone 2) bend.
ive ridden 4 different wheel shapes on my 5.8s

only the dragons will Lego Lock the double sided curb and chuck a pal. All the wheels do with the 6.1. good bye front 50s.
The wider 97s up stay with wheel corners on the edge of the inside opposite true lock. Its a fine line. A fine fine line.

I hate using the laptop to Slap. I feel like there a mind lock on me. Its like running in a nightmare. Gaining no ground in this muck. Send for golf shoes immediately
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 953
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #5744 on: March 03, 2024, 10:03:52 PM »
So are regular radials like worn down classics?

I want like a worn in 55mm classic, would a 53 radial be like this or should I just get some classics and skate them down?

exactly that. The og Classic feels pretty much that too. Wide contact rounded edge. Og is a worn classic with weight relief in my minds wheel chart. 
I think the Radial regs comes in 57mm as the tallest size i think. Id skate the shit outa that thing.

Im 110% a OG/Coni Pal as my first choice shape. I like to grind. the friction free side cut is all flat bars best friend for especially cross locks on flat bars. Pool coping too i believe. Radials have a tendency to throw me up on the deck until the wheels been grinded flat on the inside part. same with curved ledges. Id prob go lock in 57mm as my third choice these days
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Pasta Monster

« Reply #5745 on: March 10, 2024, 09:46:07 AM »
https://nocomplyatx.com/collections/wheels?sort_by=created-descending

some new stuff (Spring drop 2?):
52 mm Classsic - Jerry Hsu
53/56 mm Conical Full - Breanna
54 mm Conical - Sci-Fi Fantasy

OG Classics come in colors:
https://nocomplyatx.com/collections/wheels/products/spitfire-formula-four-99a-og-classic-skateboard-wheels?variant=43753648554169

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5746 on: March 10, 2024, 05:44:12 PM »
Expand Quote
So are regular radials like worn down classics?

I want like a worn in 55mm classic, would a 53 radial be like this or should I just get some classics and skate them down?
[close]

exactly that. The og Classic feels pretty much that too. Wide contact rounded edge. Og is a worn classic with weight relief in my minds wheel chart. 
I think the Radial regs comes in 57mm as the tallest size i think. Id skate the shit outa that thing.

Im 110% a OG/Coni Pal as my first choice shape. I like to grind. the friction free side cut is all flat bars best friend for especially cross locks on flat bars. Pool coping too i believe. Radials have a tendency to throw me up on the deck until the wheels been grinded flat on the inside part. same with curved ledges. Id prob go lock in 57mm as my third choice these days

I like Classics when they are down a mm or two as well, which definitely feels a lot like Radials with that added width and slightly more grab on to coping.

Others I skate with don't like how easily Classics or any rounded edge wheel get on and off coping or edges, so they are more in the OG Classic / Conical Full and sometimes even Tablet type of wheel, but I guess anything with more of a sharper edge on top, often with a wider surface, but more commonly with a cutaway to the inside of the wheel, which is the main difference between any of those and the Classic / Radial shapes, which are more rounded from the bearing through to the outside edge.

As to which wheel is better, if you can get your hands on Radials in 53 or 54 mm sizes, sure, but if all you have access to is Classics, then a 54 to 55 mm classic might take a bit longer to wear down / given you a longer life of wheel anyway, but at some point, it will feel much more like a Radial as you wear them down.

OG Classics / Conical shaped wheels get really sharp on the edges after wearing down a few mm, which is why I use a grinder and round off the sharp bits on older wheels to recycle them into decent smaller wheels.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Last Edit: March 10, 2024, 10:10:30 PM by Xen »

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1964
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #5748 on: March 11, 2024, 01:07:41 AM »

Bad.Ass

Shame they don't make more size options for each color.

Sticking to even numbers 52 / 54 /56 makes sense from a SKU perspective, 53 and to a lesser extent 55 are less popular and always on clearance so it'd make sense for them to shrink their product range.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5749 on: March 11, 2024, 09:48:55 AM »

Sticking to even numbers 52 / 54 /56 makes sense from a SKU perspective, 53 and to a lesser extent 55 are less popular and always on clearance so it'd make sense for them to shrink their product range.

That's different sizing, I want more colors in the same size :) I'd jump on some 52s if they were blue.

Anyone find these at a reasonable price? USD $54.58 (including shipping) is not happening.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2024, 04:24:00 PM by Xen »

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5750 on: March 12, 2024, 08:24:03 AM »
so are big beatdowns just XL sized special run classics?
lol 66mm wheel, better have double risers for that on indy standard

DonkeyRhubarb

« Reply #5751 on: March 12, 2024, 01:44:29 PM »
Any wide contact patch enjoyers moved to classics and found them ok balance wise / not too tippy or spill inducing?

Currently riding 55MM/99A OG classics which I'm really liking. Before that was split between Conical Fulls and Nano Cubics, as I like the stability of a wider contact patch. But curious about regular classics, as I've never had a set. I should probably just stick with the OG classics, but a bit less weight and easier flip tricks seems appealing (assuming it doesn't enhance eating shit quotient).

smg1138

• Rep: 42
« Reply #5752 on: March 12, 2024, 02:11:11 PM »
Any wide contact patch enjoyers moved to classics and found them ok balance wise / not too tippy or spill inducing?

Currently riding 55MM/99A OG classics which I'm really liking. Before that was split between Conical Fulls and Nano Cubics, as I like the stability of a wider contact patch. But curious about regular classics, as I've never had a set. I should probably just stick with the OG classics, but a bit less weight and easier flip tricks seems appealing (assuming it doesn't enhance eating shit quotient).

As a wide contact patch enjoyer, I always hate regular classics when they're new. The narrow contact patch is really narrow and I can't stand it until the wheel wears down a reasonable amount. I'm a big fan of Radials because they feel like a worn down Classic right out of the box without being crazy square like Conicals.

DonkeyRhubarb

« Reply #5753 on: March 12, 2024, 02:21:27 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

As a wide contact patch enjoyer, I always hate regular classics when they're new. The narrow contact patch is really narrow and I can't stand it until the wheel wears down a reasonable amount. I'm a big fan of Radials because they feel like a worn down Classic right out of the box without being crazy square like Conicals.

Cheers!

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5754 on: March 12, 2024, 04:24:48 PM »
so are big beatdowns just XL sized special run classics?
lol 66mm wheel, better have double risers for that on indy standard

Sure are.

I think the pic has been posted before, so just the link this time, but at 41.3 wide with 25.6 riding surface, they are a big and wide wheel all up, more like the Classic Full or Bighead overall dimensions, for anyone who has had those before, especially the original Bighead in 63 mm, not the new slimmer shape ones that are out now.

Fun?  Gimmick?  Crazy?   Could be all of them, but I know from seeing other similar sized wheels, they can be so good to skate too, usually on 1/2" risers like an 80s board.

https://www.spitfirewheels.com/spring24/05-sf-sp24-d1.jpg

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Cheers!

I would be going for Radial over Classic too, if you were more used to OG Classics or wider profile wheels.

minilogoflow

• Rep: 84
« Reply #5755 on: March 12, 2024, 05:47:32 PM »
A buddy of mine rides for our local shop and got a sample set of the new 93a formula. Forgot to get pictures but his are 54mm classic shape, had the graphic like lil smokies minus the flame head and had 93a formula four on it. I only skated them for a few minutes but first impressions are good. They feel kinda similar to the the f4 97a, more of a hard wheel feel rather than the softer feel of dragons. They held speed really well and even felt a bit faster than f4 97a imo. Did a couple power slides on them too and they break into slides without having to dig in too hard. I just pumped around the bowl and skated some transition so didn't get to feel how they felt on pinched grinds or on rough ground. According to my friend he hasn't had problems with grinds and said they go over crust great. If the production sets turn out like these or better, spitfire has something really good cooked up. These will definitely fill the void for people who want to try dragon type wheels but are loyal to spitfire.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 825
« Reply #5756 on: March 12, 2024, 07:39:14 PM »
Sounds ideal and likely a better option than the 97s. Thanks for review.

Daydream

• Rep: 80
« Reply #5757 on: March 12, 2024, 09:00:11 PM »
Definitely sounds good.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #5758 on: March 12, 2024, 10:53:26 PM »
every now and then i contemplate trying og classics
why would i like them more than radials?
comparing both sizes in 52mm
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 521
« Reply #5759 on: March 12, 2024, 10:53:38 PM »
My friend at the local shop got a set of 56 radial 93as. Only rolled around out front in them. I’d say they feel soft for sure, much softer and smoother than a 97a. Slide great. Feel kinda like a dragon but more spitfire-y if that makes sense, which in my opinion is definitely a good thing

Didn’t test drag, speed and smoothness side to side with other wheels on different terrain. But if they’re not too grabby, and aren’t too gummy on smooth surfaces, could be a great option