Author Topic: North Hollywood was an objectively terrible movie  (Read 29826 times)

OrangeVHStapes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 84
Re: North Hollywood was an objectively terrible movie
« Reply #180 on: May 15, 2021, 07:26:07 PM »
Expand Quote
I watched 15 minutes of it and almost threw up... Whoever says this isn't a bad movie must think Battlefield Earth is an academy award winner... My god...
[close]

if you think this is throw-up worthy then you haven't watched very many movies.

I have a bfa in film and am a video editor for a living... I have watched a lot of movies.

fortunecattlesteakhouse

• Rep: 91
« Reply #181 on: May 15, 2021, 07:50:37 PM »
I try to watch a wide array of movies and give each a fair shake. I’ll watch Billy Madison one night and “serious” movie the next, and enjoy each for what they are. The idea of watching Mid 90’s just turned me off, man.
just watched it from that site and honestly -jonah jokes aside, it wasnt the worst movie in the world or anything. there might be some cringe here and there but grind cant hold a candle to it and what about sharknado? nak was decent at acting plus the kids single mom is pretty good looking

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 251
« Reply #182 on: May 15, 2021, 08:24:44 PM »
Expand Quote
I try to watch a wide array of movies and give each a fair shake. I’ll watch Billy Madison one night and “serious” movie the next, and enjoy each for what they are. The idea of watching Mid 90’s just turned me off, man.
[close]
just watched it from that site and honestly -jonah jokes aside, it wasnt the worst movie in the world or anything. there might be some cringe here and there but grind cant hold a candle to it and what about sharknado? nak was decent at acting plus the kids single mom is pretty good looking

Wait, no ones mentioned there’s an attractive woman in this movie!!   Well, I might have to dust off the ol kinetoscope and see the future of the industry firsthand

YSL

• Rep: -2
« Reply #183 on: May 15, 2021, 10:42:59 PM »
Just got done watching it.. $3.00 to rent on youtube. As much as I love skating, seeing it in films always kinda takes me out of that immersive viewing experience.. I think thats been the case for me with most movies that involve skating to some capacity. There are some weaknesses, which you'd expect from any first time director, but honestly I thought it was pretty okay... A lot of IC and Golf branding which kinda took me out of it a little but I can't blame him for plugging his own shit. As far as the performances go, Ryder was pretty solid, Vince Vaugn was good, but above all Aramis stood out to me the most. Some of the other performances came across as a little half baked, but not bad enough to bother me too much. I think the dialogue had its weak / cheesy moments, but to viewers outside of skating, I don't think it'l stick out as much. The cinematography was pretty nice, minus the way the skating was filmed. Sorta just filmed like a skate video which I'm not really a fan of when it comes to a feature film.

Overall, I thought it was pretty good. Didn't stick out to me as excellent, but it didn't suck either.

Doom patrol

• Rep: 70
« Reply #184 on: May 15, 2021, 11:42:25 PM »
Someone has thrown in up on YouTube for free and even though it costs nothing I still feel that is somehow more than it's worth.
Flabbergasted by dudes in this thread saying it's ok. I got maybe 30 minutes in and gave up.

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #185 on: May 16, 2021, 02:37:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I watched 15 minutes of it and almost threw up... Whoever says this isn't a bad movie must think Battlefield Earth is an academy award winner... My god...
[close]

[close]

I have a bfa in film and am a video editor for a living... I have watched a lot of movies.

Yet you disrespect the dutch angle extravaganza of Battlefield Earth. Curious.

cherry

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #186 on: May 16, 2021, 04:54:55 AM »
I’d rather watch a pin hole camera capture my grandpas barn than this

Youoverthere

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 165
« Reply #187 on: May 16, 2021, 05:30:02 AM »
Watched it with the homies. We started yelling at the tv like it was the superbowl when iCarly pulled those crystals out. I’m putting this one somewhere between mid 90’s and hardflip. Ultimately I will end up re-watching because I love a good cringe and it feels like watching The Room.

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1484
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #188 on: May 16, 2021, 06:18:37 AM »
I tried to watch it sober. Big mistake.

I'll save it for when I'm drunk and need to laugh at a movie that tries to be better than Wassup Rockers but fails bigger than hardflip if it was directed by the kid curling taped together forks in Gummo.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0413466/

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 597
« Reply #189 on: May 16, 2021, 06:20:48 AM »
Watched it with the homies. We started yelling at the tv like it was the superbowl when iCarly pulled those crystals out. I’m putting this one somewhere between mid 90’s and hardflip. Ultimately I will end up re-watching because I love a good cringe and it feels like watching The Room.

Aw crap, now I have to watch it.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

ChrisSennsGirlfriend

• Rep: 128
« Reply #190 on: May 16, 2021, 12:23:55 PM »
Expand Quote
I saw the trailer and figured it to be all pretty camera movements, lighting and color and not much else.

On a somewhat related note, as a first year film student, I was snapped at by a senior screenwriting major for being close minded because I wouldn’t go see Mid 90’s because I claimed it would do nothing for me or show me anything new.
[close]

Well at least you’re self-aware that you’re a close-minded obnoxious freshman film student.   Read and watch everything you can.  You learn just as much, if not more from the failures than you do the successes.   Don’t be the person who turns your nose up at stuff, particularly at your age.  No one likes that guy, no one wants to collaborate with that guy, no one wants to hire that guy.

Expand Quote
Anyone got a different link? The one posted gives me a privacy error.
[close]

So with all the actual good movies and tv shows that are out there, you want to waste an hour and half on this qualified disaster?

so which is it: watch everything you can, and excoriate those who don't?  or never watch this movie under any circumstances and excoriate those that do?
Mike Anderson is a small town labor union hottie

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #191 on: May 16, 2021, 12:36:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I saw the trailer and figured it to be all pretty camera movements, lighting and color and not much else.

On a somewhat related note, as a first year film student, I was snapped at by a senior screenwriting major for being close minded because I wouldn’t go see Mid 90’s because I claimed it would do nothing for me or show me anything new.
[close]

Well at least you’re self-aware that you’re a close-minded obnoxious freshman film student.   Read and watch everything you can.  You learn just as much, if not more from the failures than you do the successes.   Don’t be the person who turns your nose up at stuff, particularly at your age.  No one likes that guy, no one wants to collaborate with that guy, no one wants to hire that guy.
[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

So with all the actual good movies and tv shows that are out there, you want to waste an hour and half on this qualified disaster?
[close]

so which is it: watch everything you can, and excoriate those who don't?  or never watch this movie under any circumstances and excoriate those that do?

Yeah I was aware I let that seeming inconsistency dangle.   However, there is a difference between Mid90s (an actual theatrically distributed/released movie) and some vanity project made because it’s cheap for anyone to make a movie.   

Obviously there is a quality threshold that should be looked at and it’s not gatekeeping or anything like that.   If you are a film student that is interested in working in the industry, looking at what gets released, who releases them, how it’s received, etc is important to do.   This is someone with an MFA advising someone going for their BFA.  I’m in my 30s and they were presumably still in their teens, so they should be open to cultivating their taste from any which way they can (using common sense to know what that means)

There could be some value gleaning from watching North Hollywood to see why no distributors touched it with a ten-foot pole, but I think you could learn a lot more elsewhere whilst not supporting Mikeys ego.   

Hefe43

• Rep: 176
« Reply #192 on: May 16, 2021, 12:54:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah I was aware I let that seeming inconsistency dangle.   However, there is a difference between Mid90s (an actual theatrically distributed/released movie) and some vanity project made because it’s cheap for anyone to make a movie.   

Obviously there is a quality threshold that should be looked at and it’s not gatekeeping or anything like that.   If you are a film student that is interested in working in the industry, looking at what gets released, who releases them, how it’s received, etc is important to do.   This is someone with an MFA advising someone going for their BFA.  I’m in my 30s and they were presumably still in their teens, so they should be open to cultivating their taste from any which way they can (using common sense to know what that means)

There could be some value gleaning from watching North Hollywood to see why no distributors touched it with a ten-foot pole, but I think you could learn a lot more elsewhere whilst not supporting Mikeys ego.   

::)
Tyshawn seems like the kind of guy to hate everyone at least a little bit

This Thing Of Ours

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #193 on: May 16, 2021, 02:33:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Man who spends all his time on a message board, who clearly doesn't skate, tells other people how to spend their time  ::)

Never thought I’d get so much push back advising people to not waste time/money watching a movie we all know is terrible made by a guy that we all know is terrible.   ::) indeed

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • S&H
« Reply #194 on: May 16, 2021, 02:46:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Man who spends all his time on a message board, who clearly doesn't skate, tells other people how to spend their time  ::)
[close]

Never thought I’d get so much push back advising people to not waste time/money watching a movie we all know is terrible made by a guy that we all know is terrible.   ::) indeed

after reading all seven pages I'm going with this^

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #195 on: May 16, 2021, 04:25:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

can confirm he watches a lot of movies.
good come sausage

Reed Richards

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #196 on: May 16, 2021, 04:58:27 PM »
Watched it last night, it was relatable gives me hope for the next release. It was like a debut novel. Now that they did this one to learn the craft I foresee good things. One poster made comparisons based on genre and I'm not sure those are really relevant it's the sensibility of the film that really carries it through this is not like any coming of age drama for me at least.
This word salad sucks.

passtheish

• Rep: 6
« Reply #197 on: May 16, 2021, 05:23:57 PM »
Did anyone get the point of the Walker character, was he just the pile friend? or is mikey trying to make him an allegory for Jonah and Jonez

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2264
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #198 on: May 16, 2021, 05:31:18 PM »
I downloaded this for free of YouTube and still haven't watched it,mostly because a scene Nora shared on IG that looked soooo uncomfortable to film, let alone act in. Definitely not the demographic for this shit and I can't wait for someone to recommend it.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

stephop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -388
« Reply #199 on: May 16, 2021, 06:30:43 PM »
Not a good movie.

winnasoda

• Rep: -31
« Reply #200 on: May 16, 2021, 08:46:45 PM »
Just watch machotaildrop instead

Youoverthere

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #201 on: May 16, 2021, 09:56:41 PM »
I kinda want to see poster’s rankings of all the skate movies they’ve seen.

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #202 on: May 16, 2021, 10:06:14 PM »

Interesting no ones mentioned Minding the Gap.  It got good reviews and a Criterion Collection release.   Have yet to see it as I get a vibe that it’s a “poor kid tries to escape depressing economic and societal realities through skating’ kind of story that really seems like you need to be in the right mood for it.   

assvogel

• Rep: 210
« Reply #203 on: May 17, 2021, 12:12:45 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Interesting no ones mentioned Minding the Gap.  It got good reviews and a Criterion Collection release.   Have yet to see it as I get a vibe that it’s a “poor kid tries to escape depressing economic and societal realities through skating’ kind of story that really seems like you need to be in the right mood for it.

I wouldn't really compare that to North Hollywood. It was a very well made documentary, but it has multiple different angles than just skateboarding. Skateboarding is what connects these people, but the documentary goes a lot deeper than just skating. There's large focus on cycle of domestic violence, racism and alcoholism and how the economic class affects all that. It focuses on american youth, but I definitely could see similarities on my own circle of friends growing up.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #204 on: May 17, 2021, 12:21:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I wouldn't really compare that to North Hollywood. It was a very well made documentary, but it has multiple different angles than just skateboarding. Skateboarding is what connects these people, but the documentary goes a lot deeper than just skating. There's large focus on cycle of domestic violence, racism and alcoholism and how the economic class affects all that. It focuses on american youth, but I definitely could see similarities on my own circle of friends growing up.

Oh I didn’t realize it was a doc.  Thought it was like an economically depressed Midwestern Skate Kitchen (w/ guys)

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
« Reply #205 on: May 17, 2021, 12:57:43 AM »
I liked some things about it. Bright saturated colors is a welcome reprieve from the prevailing trend of washed out and shifted colors. Continuous takes and vignetting also lend to the skate video feel. I couldn't tell if the incongruent pairing of scenes to late '50s/early '60s soul and rock 'n roll was an homage to Kenneth Anger but it must have been deliberate (since skate videos are often so precise with music placement and timing). Plotwise, I'm a little confused. I think he's graduated, but is still playing school sports. Also, I'm pretty sure if a 17/18 year old is just starting to network for prospective sponsors, it's probably not going to happen (is he trying to get on Krooked flow?). I'm a bit out of touch with how it works now, but I think it would be more realistic to establish the character as a man/am trying to get to the next level. Also, the dialog could have improved drastically, especially with the heart to heart with pops (I always called my dad that).

Youoverthere

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #206 on: May 17, 2021, 06:50:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Oh I didn’t realize it was a doc.  Thought it was like an economically depressed Midwestern Skate Kitchen (w/ guys)
I personally couldn’t and haven’t seen mind the gap only because I used to hang with one of them and I just don’t like watching sad shit about people I know.

HeavyAndExpensive

• Rep: 114
« Reply #207 on: May 17, 2021, 07:24:49 AM »
Mikey Alfred reminds me of a character in GTA that you'd do zany missions for/with, who eventually ends of getting himself killed or something.

mushroom slice

« Reply #208 on: May 17, 2021, 07:51:33 AM »
I liked minding the gap. That is a good film. I’ll watch this eventually too. It’s not like I got anything better going on and I’m ok with wasting time. I used to play video games.

Miller92

• Rep: -282
« Reply #209 on: May 17, 2021, 08:00:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

lol I have a bfa in film as well and am a video editor for a living... i too have watched a lot of movies.