Author Topic: North Hollywood was an objectively terrible movie  (Read 29823 times)

Garth Marenghi

Re: North Hollywood was an objectively terrible movie
« Reply #240 on: May 18, 2021, 12:07:04 AM »
Technically it was fine but the writing and pacing wasn't exactly great. Scenes thrown in together, resulting in a superficial narrative.

Not sure who gave the worst performance, Miranda Cosgrove or Bobby Worrest. :D

loose_trucks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 3
« Reply #241 on: May 18, 2021, 07:30:38 PM »
Why are all skate movies about the come up? Seems like a movie about a drug addicted company owner who is an amazing skater, but terrible financial planner would be a more interesting story.

Imagine if the main character was a mixed of Jim Greco’s temperament, with Jamie Thomas’ demand of others, with Kareem Campbell’s inability to pay people on time or show up to things...you would have the greatest skate movie ever.

Please someone make this movie

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 251
« Reply #242 on: May 18, 2021, 08:11:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Why are all skate movies about the come up? Seems like a movie about a drug addicted company owner who is an amazing skater, but terrible financial planner would be a more interesting story.

Imagine if the main character was a mixed of Jim Greco’s temperament, with Jamie Thomas’ demand of others, with Kareem Campbell’s inability to pay people on time or show up to things...you would have the greatest skate movie ever.
[close]

Please someone make this movie

Movies are about the come-up because protagonists or the main side character are usually the audience surrogate so they learn about the world as the character is initiated.  It’d be too esoteric for the regular person if the world was already established and everyone knew their place.  It’s why the majority of tv pilots are about someone’s first day on the job or in a new place. 

Blueabyssofthisss

« Reply #243 on: May 18, 2021, 10:00:58 PM »
But are you minding the gap

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #244 on: May 18, 2021, 10:21:55 PM »
Yes yes I am il buffone

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2264
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #245 on: May 19, 2021, 06:45:27 AM »
I watched this finally, it's more about what happens when you're in a skate click of virgins, and one of the homies finally meets a girl. Thrashin' did a better job of the going Pro story. All this dude did in the end was catch a free ride to SF in the end. You could make a drinking game out of all the times "Pops" and "Son" is spoken throughout this movie too, it's like they had to remember who was who. This definitely wasn't for my demographic, and I can't wait to see kids pushing all the forced lingo and writing on their Chucks in my area.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 117
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #246 on: May 19, 2021, 07:45:46 AM »
as much as a recycled from every skate movie story it is, I'd much rather watch this than Mid 90s, there was a lot of semi funny concepts that seem like if Mikey Alfred made some sorta skate related short form sketch comedy it would work.

throwaway187

• Rep: -3
« Reply #247 on: May 19, 2021, 08:07:46 AM »
$20!! I only paid 4.99 to buy it on Amazon.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
  • tiger style
« Reply #248 on: May 19, 2021, 08:48:49 AM »
i'm getting the impression that mikey alfred isn't on the scorsese, tarantino level and that this video feature lots of pro skaters acting for the first time is most likely not going to get an oscar nod

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2264
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #249 on: May 19, 2021, 09:04:32 AM »
as much as a recycled from every skate movie story it is, I'd much rather watch this than Mid 90s, there was a lot of semi funny concepts that seem like if Mikey Alfred made some sorta skate related short form sketch comedy it would work.
Honestly if he did it as in a serious way it'd still be funny. Just find a way to make Tyshawn say "That's cute" in every short and I'll laugh.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

GoneWithTheSchwinn

• Mods
  • Rep: -9957
« Reply #250 on: May 19, 2021, 09:06:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
new illegal civ movie was bad? i thought skaters were notorious for being great actors...
[close]

He's no Frank the Nose
[close]

Machotaildrop = best skate movie

BLACK LIVES MATTER
FUCK 12

"Watch out or the gazpacho police will get you!"

alex

• Rep: 34
« Reply #251 on: May 19, 2021, 09:44:44 AM »
Going to assume they got vince vaughn since he's basically ousted from hollywood for being conservative in an otherwise overwhelmingly liberal industry. His day rate was probably very affordable.
Suns out, im going skating. chow

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107
« Reply #252 on: May 19, 2021, 11:48:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Going to assume they got vince vaughn since he's basically ousted from hollywood for being conservative in an otherwise overwhelmingly liberal industry. His day rate was probably very affordable.
[close]

vince vaughn has been in as much stuff in recent years as he ever has been. he was in like 3 things in 2020 alone

Yeah, Hollywood smash hits 'Freaky, 'The Binge' and 'Arkansas'

Reading a summary for The Binge and it's just 'The Purge' but with drugs

Vaughn might be 'in a lot of stuff' but it's all low tier garbage

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #253 on: May 19, 2021, 11:53:39 AM »

Interrupting my loop of Minding the Gap viewing to add:

You don’t get ousted from Hollywood for being a conservative.  Hell, Sandler and Kevin James are both big Republicans as are most studio heads.  You get ousted for losing money. 

« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 12:01:38 PM by Atiba Applebum »

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #254 on: May 19, 2021, 12:02:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

vince vaughn has been in as much stuff in recent years as he ever has been. he was in like 3 things in 2020 alone
[close]

[close]

That's nothing new. Hes not really an A lister. his career peaked in 2005 and he's only been in garbage or stuff that bombed since then. he also can't act, he can only play Vince Vaughn.

Assault in Cell Block 99 is very fucking good though.   Beats up a car Street Fighter style

skatingisntspecialstupid

• Rep: 57
« Reply #255 on: May 19, 2021, 12:06:46 PM »
I guess it’s technically better than Street Dreams, but less entertaining

I wonder if kids outside of LA will really feel this and think it’s cool

Don’t dip your head in or your board will end up behind you

alex

• Rep: 34
« Reply #256 on: May 19, 2021, 12:10:22 PM »
I guess it’s technically better than Street Dreams, but less entertaining

I wonder if kids outside of LA will really feel this and think it’s cool

They'll feel it's cool if they already think IC and golfwang are cool.
Suns out, im going skating. chow

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #257 on: May 19, 2021, 12:12:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

That's nothing new. Hes not really an A lister. his career peaked in 2005 and he's only been in garbage or stuff that bombed since then. he also can't act, he can only play Vince Vaughn.
[close]

Assault in Cell Block 99 is very fucking good though.   Beats up a car Street Fighter style
[close]

I never heard of that but looked it up , lmao looks absurd. good reviews though, ill have to check it out

Hah glad you found it because i wrote the title wrong.  It’s Brawl in Cell Block 99.  Must have mixed it up with Assault on Precinct 13. 

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 688
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #258 on: May 19, 2021, 12:31:25 PM »
If anything I am glad at least this thread brought "Machotaildrop" to my attention! What a brilliant film :)

Dracula

• Rep: -20
« Reply #259 on: May 21, 2021, 08:38:10 PM »
I could see this being directed by Tommy wiseau if he skated

IpathCats

« Reply #260 on: June 08, 2021, 05:16:30 AM »
Couldn't find this thread earlier, but GOD DAMN did that movie suck. That whole movie felt forced and strange. The plot jumped all around, people's reactions and conversations were so weird and unnatural, idk what I just got done watching. I know the bar for skate movies is low, but holy shit, at least grind was funny in a corny, fart joke kinda way. Final rating, 10/10 because Bobby was in it.

IpathCats

« Reply #261 on: June 08, 2021, 06:35:20 AM »

This definitely felt as disjointed as his films do. The interactions between the characters felt so fake and unhuman, like aliens pretending to be humans.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #262 on: June 08, 2021, 06:48:13 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This definitely felt as disjointed as his films do. The interactions between the characters felt so fake and unhuman, like aliens pretending to be humans.

Bad dialogue + bad actors + bad directing

IpathCats

« Reply #263 on: June 08, 2021, 06:51:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Bad dialogue + bad actors + bad directing

= North Hollywood

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #264 on: June 08, 2021, 06:57:55 AM »
Mikey Alfred is a genius, ya'll are just haters who can't accept his greatness.

fs180

• Rep: -267
« Reply #265 on: June 08, 2021, 07:12:03 AM »
the plot isn't really thick and never gets to the point of building up excitement.
its kind of like once upon a time in Hollywood romanticizing with the Hollywood of the 60s 70s but far less good and interesting and accurate.
also I dont even know what time this plays since they dont use mobile phones but other modern technology.
i dont like how the camera picture has vignettes. the one shot in the beginning has unnatural speed to thinks you would do like smoking for 2 sec just to cough and the way the camera goes plus the walls dont look like its been made in a good way.
this goes through out the movie. some whacky shots and it just doesn't look like a movie.

nico is a talented actor who I could see in a few horrible but still good college movies. ararmis and the main character were just exchangeable if it wasn't about skating and had 5min of skating in it.
vince vaughn did his thing and was one of the only believable characters.

IpathCats

« Reply #266 on: June 08, 2021, 07:12:55 AM »
Mikey Alfred is a genius, ya'll are just haters who can't accept his greatness.

.....Nah

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #267 on: June 08, 2021, 07:22:07 AM »
the plot isn't really thick and never gets to the point of building up excitement.
its kind of like once upon a time in Hollywood romanticizing with the Hollywood of the 60s 70s but far less good and interesting and accurate.
also I dont even know what time this plays since they dont use mobile phones but other modern technology.
i dont like how the camera picture has vignettes. the one shot in the beginning has unnatural speed to thinks you would do like smoking for 2 sec just to cough and the way the camera goes plus the walls dont look like its been made in a good way.
this goes through out the movie. some whacky shots and it just doesn't look like a movie.

nico is a talented actor who I could see in a few horrible but still good college movies. ararmis and the main character were just exchangeable if it wasn't about skating and had 5min of skating in it.

Wow NH is less accurate than a movie that ends with the Manson family not murdering anyone.   Woof

fs180

• Rep: -267
« Reply #268 on: June 08, 2021, 07:39:59 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Wow NH is less accurate than a movie that ends with the Manson family not murdering anyone.   Woof

im talking about framing the time it plays. once upon a time in Hollywood is only about showing people how the 60s and 70s were. the plot ends beeing not accurate to what happened in real life but it shows real life in the 60s and 70s in Hollywood.

NH plays with being "vintage" like going to a diner drinking a milkshake in converse and your college jacket.
it romanticizes with older times by not including phone calls from your mobile phone or instagram or any type of modern technology.
but also it misses to make it logical by including other modern things.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #269 on: June 08, 2021, 07:46:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

im talking about framing the time it plays. once upon a time in Hollywood is only about showing people how the 60s and 70s were. the plot ends beeing not accurate to what happened in real life but it shows real life in the 60s and 70s in Hollywood.

NH plays with being "vintage" like going to a diner drinking a milkshake in converse and your college jacket.
it romanticizes with older times by not including phone calls from your mobile phone or instagram or any type of modern technology.
but also it misses to make it logical by including other modern things.

I don’t know what you’re babbling about.  Once Upon a time also takes place in 69 and at no part is in the 70s