Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 547074 times)

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1382
Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #990 on: April 15, 2020, 02:50:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Just set this up - it'll be my cruiser/bigger transition board this year. I'm fulfilling my contractual obligations as a Tired team member by skating this. Need to fulfill my minimum of eight photos and 2.3 minutes of footage.

But seriously:

• Tired Sigar, 9.25 x 32 - Not sure of the wheelbase, but I'll barely be flipping this board. Never skated a shape quite like this, it feels good though.
  • Ricta Clouds, 78a, 56mm - Recommended by Roger Bagley, softness recommended by Sundaynuggets. Chose 56s for a decent-sized cruiser while maintaining functionality with tricks, I can't do much on 60+ mm wheels. 78a because where I live is too crusty.
  • Independent XI 159 hollows - these were on sale and I couldn't pass them up. I originally wanted the satin white Ace 55s, but they run a pretty penny for me these days. Never had hollows and it was surreal to see the holes in the axle.
  • Bones Swiss - used these on a prior setup. One of the bearings is getting rusty (RIP), I never clean my bearings. They're still super fast.

I'll post it again when it's skated and give an update about how it went. It feels comfortable just to stand on, so I've got a good feeling about it.
[close]

Damn, that looks great!
[close]
That's a gorgeous board indeed, curious about how the top looks.

Ask and ye shall receive. I'm not a pro at cutting grip along the edges, as you can see. I rode it around a bit and the bushings are way too squirrelly, but aside from that it's tits. Kind of a miracle that the front wheels don't stick out.

GBLange

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 276
« Reply #991 on: April 16, 2020, 08:06:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Just set this up - it'll be my cruiser/bigger transition board this year. I'm fulfilling my contractual obligations as a Tired team member by skating this. Need to fulfill my minimum of eight photos and 2.3 minutes of footage.

But seriously:

• Tired Sigar, 9.25 x 32 - Not sure of the wheelbase, but I'll barely be flipping this board. Never skated a shape quite like this, it feels good though.
  • Ricta Clouds, 78a, 56mm - Recommended by Roger Bagley, softness recommended by Sundaynuggets. Chose 56s for a decent-sized cruiser while maintaining functionality with tricks, I can't do much on 60+ mm wheels. 78a because where I live is too crusty.
  • Independent XI 159 hollows - these were on sale and I couldn't pass them up. I originally wanted the satin white Ace 55s, but they run a pretty penny for me these days. Never had hollows and it was surreal to see the holes in the axle.
  • Bones Swiss - used these on a prior setup. One of the bearings is getting rusty (RIP), I never clean my bearings. They're still super fast.

I'll post it again when it's skated and give an update about how it went. It feels comfortable just to stand on, so I've got a good feeling about it.
[close]

Damn, that looks great!
[close]
[close]

Ask and ye shall receive. I'm not a pro at cutting grip along the edges, as you can see. I rode it around a bit and the bushings are way too squirrelly, but aside from that it's tits. Kind of a miracle that the front wheels don't stick out.

That's a gorgeous setup..

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 276
« Reply #992 on: April 16, 2020, 11:04:31 AM »
anybody know what's the wheelbase on this 10" version. couldn't find the specs on their websites..i can only find dimensions for the 9.125" size.

Onevia

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #993 on: April 16, 2020, 08:20:04 PM »

Antihero Green Giant 9.56 x 32.98 15.25wb (width at trucks 9.25/ 9.0 F/ R)
Indy Forged Hollow 169 w/ 96a super hard (somehow they came with Forged Titanium hangers ¯\_(ツ)_/¯)
Spitfire F4 Radial Slim 51mm 99a
Shake Junt bolts
Reds
Mob

Been riding a Baker 8.475" B16 board and wanted a bigger board/ cruiser that was an inch longer in length and wb (also, at least 9" wide at the trucks). Never really messed with Antihero, but the Green Giant ended up fitting that criteria almost exactly. Really dig the shape and size of this board.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #994 on: April 16, 2020, 08:29:16 PM »
Crosspost from the considering buying thread, but i'm looking for board options to put Indy 215s on.  I'm keen to get a set now they're around again, and want to see what 10"+ boards are out there.  Seen the GGIs and the Dogtown Bigfoots, but keen for some other insanity. 

Anyone running 215s on anything?

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #995 on: April 16, 2020, 09:39:43 PM »
Crosspost from the considering buying thread, but i'm looking for board options to put Indy 215s on.  I'm keen to get a set now they're around again, and want to see what 10"+ boards are out there.  Seen the GGIs and the Dogtown Bigfoots, but keen for some other insanity. 

In my opinion you can ride them on much more than most people do. 9.5” and up and in general everything with a wide tail.
All kinds of scrams, sc winkowski, even. or heroin eyeballer (very similar shape with modern concave)
A lot of the prime and new deal reissues work for sure.

You just want to ride them as loose as possible because they turn pretty, pretty poorly.

PMA

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #996 on: April 16, 2020, 09:55:11 PM »
I can't stop....
Polar 1991 shape 9.25 x 32.25
Thunder 161 polished w/supercush 94a
spitfire f4 classic 56mm 99a
swiss
Rad railz
mob
dunks
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 09:59:51 PM by 144p »

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #997 on: April 16, 2020, 10:17:25 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

In my opinion you can ride them on much more than most people do. 9.5” and up and in general everything with a wide tail.
All kinds of scrams, sc winkowski, even. or heroin eyeballer (very similar shape with modern concave)
A lot of the prime and new deal reissues work for sure.

You just want to ride them as loose as possible because they turn pretty, pretty poorly.

Good to know, thanks. 

Turn bad? I just imagined they'd feel like bigger 169s.  Chuck em on a riser and get busy but that's a shame.  You know if the wide Aces or Thunders do any better?

jtrpma

• PMA
« Reply #998 on: April 16, 2020, 10:45:56 PM »
My ace 66 turns a little slower than my 169s I like the turn on 169s best. They are stable at all speeds, even if fairly loose. Ace66s get squirmy at that point to me. Especially going fakie I get really wobbly. 215s are nice and stable but the turning radius is so large that I ended up not buying any for myself after trying them.
Still fun and worth having a set just for fun setups, just too poor to buy stuff for no better reason.
Very loose 215s on a Chody setup like a Dane1 with small wheels seems like a great time on a hot rod.

For thunders I have no experience but can’t imagine that they’d turn any better than smaller thunders.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 10:49:55 PM by jtrpma »

PMA

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #999 on: April 17, 2020, 04:13:06 AM »

Indy Forged Hollow 169 w/ 96a super hard (somehow they came with Forged Titanium hangers ¯\_(ツ)_/¯)
Shake Junt bolts
Reds
Mob

Been riding a Baker 8.475" B16 board and wanted a bigger board/ cruiser that was an inch longer in length and wb (also, at least 9" wide at the trucks). Never really messed with Antihero, but the Green Giant ended up fitting that criteria almost exactly. Really dig the shape and size of this board.
how’s it ride, pop? Pretty small wheels. 169’s fit perfect. What type of riding you doing with this setup?  Could’ve went with orange eagle too. Like the idea of both.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 04:19:55 AM by jay_nev »

jtrpma

• PMA
« Reply #1000 on: April 17, 2020, 09:08:50 AM »
Ima cross post this here, seems more relevant

leftover 90s 10x33x15
Conical full
Shorties hardware
Mob

PMA

Bobby Lashley

« Reply #1001 on: April 17, 2020, 09:28:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

But seriously:

[close]

Damn, that looks great!
[close]
[close]

gotta sand them edges down papa

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #1002 on: April 17, 2020, 10:17:51 AM »
I am going to be joining the club next week. I started on a SMA many many years ago, and I feel its finally time to return to my roots and pass my popsicles on to my boys.I know I am leaning towards 9.5 deck with 8.75ish trucks so I can still flip it fairly easy. There are some absolutely beautiful setups in this thread..so much inspiration

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1341
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #1003 on: April 17, 2020, 10:43:21 AM »
I am going to be joining the club next week. I started on a SMA many many years ago, and I feel its finally time to return to my roots and pass my popsicles on to my boys.I know I am leaning towards 9.5 deck with 8.75ish trucks so I can still flip it fairly easy. There are some absolutely beautiful setups in this thread..so much inspiration
I just saw an SMA Natas board that's coming out that's 9 x 31.25 with a 14" wb that might do it for you. Basically a longer, skinnier version of the classic Natas shape. I got an email about it and am sorta loving those dims. Maybe it'll get snapped up by the collector's but I might try to pick one up if they stay around.
https://smaskate.com/collections/natas-kaupas/products/copy-of-natas-blue-banner-deck
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

animalflesh

« Reply #1004 on: April 17, 2020, 10:46:08 AM »
Ima cross post this here, seems more relevant

leftover 90s 10x33x15
Conical full
Shorties hardware
Mob

Great shape great concave nice solid construction

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #1005 on: April 17, 2020, 11:05:28 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I just saw an SMA Natas board that's coming out that's 9 x 31.25 with a 14" wb that might do it for you. Basically a longer, skinnier version of the classic Natas shape. I got an email about it and am sorta loving those dims. Maybe it'll get snapped up by the collector's but I might try to pick one up if they stay around.
https://smaskate.com/collections/natas-kaupas/products/copy-of-natas-blue-banner-deck
Wow thats almost exactly what I am looking for man! Thanks for the heads up, I think that just made it to the top of my list.

velvethammer

• Rep: -8
« Reply #1006 on: April 17, 2020, 11:45:12 AM »

I just put a set on a 35th ave 10 inch popsicle shop deck. They fit perfect. By the way, the 35th ave wood is legit.
The set I have is from about 8 years ago. Where are you seeing 215's for sale beside ebay?

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #1007 on: April 17, 2020, 12:01:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
Wow thats almost exactly what I am looking for man! Thanks for the heads up, I think that just made it to the top of my list.

This board is so sick.
I wish, like so much, that companies would list width measurements at the truck mounting holes.
I love the 14” wb, curious as to the 6.5” tail. That gets a little craze on taller wheels.

Onevia

« Reply #1008 on: April 17, 2020, 12:21:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Shake Junt bolts
Reds
Mob

[close]
how’s it ride, pop? Pretty small wheels. 169’s fit perfect. What type of riding you doing with this setup?  Could’ve went with orange eagle too. Like the idea of both.
Surprisingly, the pop feels like my old B16 Baker board (concave is almost identical too). You definitely feel more planted, because of the the longer length/ wb, but it's not sluggish, or long board feeling at all. I'm 6'3", have a 35" inseam and wear S11's, so It might feel different for someone smaller. As for type of riding... Pretty much street cruising while ollieing over, on and off whatever and trying to grind/ slide low shit. lol

The wheels are from an old set-up that was barely used, so I wanted to see how they felt, before going with bigger ones. I'll probably get some 53-56mm 99a Conical Fulls, but I actually like the way these small Slims are feeling. Also, the 169's rear axle just barely sits in from being flush with the deck, so I couldn't even ask for a better fit.

Almost went with the Orange Crusher, but I found out that it has a truck width of 9.0/ 8.8 F/ R and wanted a little bit wider board, so I could play it safe with the 169's. I think the Orange Crusher would be the better choice if you like doing flip tricks, or want the option of running an 8.75" truck, though.

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #1009 on: April 17, 2020, 04:47:02 PM »

I have literally stared at thousands of shaped boards half the day. I truly wanted to mimic the exact shape of my very first board, which was given to me by hometown hero and Northeast legend Mike Bovarnick aka "Gravedigger". I have skated a few Zero decks over the years and never even knew they had cruisers until I saw this. I am pretty damn exited as I dont think I could get much closer.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 05:07:43 PM by Seventyfrigginseven »

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #1010 on: April 17, 2020, 05:07:19 PM »

I have literally stared at thousands of shaped boards half the day. I truly wanted to mimic the exact shape of my very first board, which was given to me by hometown hero and east coast legend Mike Bovarnick aka "Gravedigger". I have skated a few Zero decks over the years and never even knew they had cruisers until I saw this. I am pretty damn exited as I dont think I could get much closer.

Holy shit, I haven’t thought about that SMA in decades. That was one of my favorites as a kid. I vaguely remember it being an ever slick or something, with that thick plastic on the bottom. Is that right, or am I misremembering?

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #1011 on: April 17, 2020, 05:08:20 PM »
Expand Quote

I have literally stared at thousands of shaped boards half the day. I truly wanted to mimic the exact shape of my very first board, which was given to me by hometown hero and east coast legend Mike Bovarnick aka "Gravedigger". I have skated a few Zero decks over the years and never even knew they had cruisers until I saw this. I am pretty damn exited as I dont think I could get much closer.
[close]

Holy shit, I haven’t thought about that SMA in decades. That was one of my favorites as a kid. I vaguely remember it being an ever slick or something, with that thick plastic on the bottom. Is that right, or am I misremembering?
You are absolutely correct it was an everslick!

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #1012 on: April 17, 2020, 05:16:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
You are absolutely correct it was an everslick!

Nice! I loved that thing! Those dimensions look super interesting to me now. Is that Zero same wheelbase, length and all? I need to check that out if so

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #1013 on: April 17, 2020, 06:00:15 PM »
The Zero is 1/4" shorter in length, 1/4 narrower, and it's wb is 14.25, I think it says 13.75 on the SMA. I wish it had the same sub 14" wb because I plan on pairing it with 6.1 Ventures (at this moment) Haha
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 06:11:32 PM by Seventyfrigginseven »

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #1014 on: April 17, 2020, 06:06:52 PM »
The Zero is 1/4" shorter in length and it's wb is 14.25, I think it says 13.75 on the SMA. I wish it had the same sub 14" wb because I plan on pairing it with 6.1 Ventures (at this moment) Haha

Nice, I want to try the 6.1’s on a few decks I have laying around that didn’t feel quite right on Ace’s and Indy’s. Polar Dane 1 I have seems like it would go nice with those. That sub 14’ wheelbase really interests me as I’ve ridden a bunch of 14’ popsicles and they felt great and would like to try a wider shaped deck with something like that

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1015 on: April 17, 2020, 06:12:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Shake Junt bolts
Reds
Mob

[close]
[close]
Surprisingly, the pop feels like my old B16 Baker board (concave is almost identical too). You definitely feel more planted, because of the the longer length/ wb, but it's not sluggish, or long board feeling at all. I'm 6'3", have a 35" inseam and wear S11's, so It might feel different for someone smaller. As for type of riding... Pretty much street cruising while ollieing over, on and off whatever and trying to grind/ slide low shit. lol

The wheels are from an old set-up that was barely used, so I wanted to see how they felt, before going with bigger ones. I'll probably get some 53-56mm 99a Conical Fulls, but I actually like the way these small Slims are feeling. Also, the 169's rear axle just barely sits in from being flush with the deck, so I couldn't even ask for a better fit.

Almost went with the Orange Crusher, but I found out that it has a truck width of 9.0/ 8.8 F/ R and wanted a little bit wider board, so I could play it safe with the 169's. I think the Orange Crusher would be the better choice if you like doing flip tricks, or want the option of running an 8.75" truck, though.
Same type of riding here, and im 6'4 size 13 so similar. Was recommended 169/orange crusher here when I was looking to get back and looking for 9"+. Let me know how those bushings break in and feel, just got 97a supercush for my 6.1's waiting to arrive.

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #1016 on: April 17, 2020, 06:20:14 PM »
Expand Quote
The Zero is 1/4" shorter in length and it's wb is 14.25, I think it says 13.75 on the SMA. I wish it had the same sub 14" wb because I plan on pairing it with 6.1 Ventures (at this moment) Haha
[close]

Nice, I want to try the 6.1’s on a few decks I have laying around that didn’t feel quite right on Ace’s and Indy’s. Polar Dane 1 I have seems like it would go nice with those. That sub 14’ wheelbase really interests me as I’ve ridden a bunch of 14’ popsicles and they felt great and would like to try a wider shaped deck with something like that
If that works out for you please let me know. This will be by far the widest setup I have used in like 20 or more years, so I will be a mess for a while. If I just cant get used to the 14.25 wheelbase with the wide shape (and the nostalgia wheres off), I will on the prowl for the same thing  you described.

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #1017 on: April 17, 2020, 06:26:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
If that works out for you please let me know. This will be by far the widest setup I have used in like 20 or more years, so I will be a mess for a while. If I just cant get used to the 14.25 wheelbase with the wide shape (and the nostalgia wheres off), I will on the prowl for the same thing  you described.

For sure!

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1018 on: April 17, 2020, 07:11:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

For sure!
just went from 169 w risers to 6.1 with no risers on the dane 1. it rode nice, hot rod up front as expected. Was with 54mm conicals (not full). also keyframes but didn't really ride it. i liked it better on my 8.75" popsicle bc longer wb and length deck was more comfortable for me with my height.

Onevia

« Reply #1019 on: April 17, 2020, 07:12:52 PM »
Same type of riding here, and im 6'4 size 13 so similar. Was recommended 169/orange crusher here when I was looking to get back and looking for 9"+. Let me know how those bushings break in and feel, just got 97a supercush for my 6.1's waiting to arrive.
I think there's a good chance the orange crusher would be dead flush with 169's in the rear (just didn't want to risk it).
I first started using 96a super hards on my old 139s. I'm a little over 250lbs and they make trucks feel normal (even when new). Would recommend them for the heavier riders out there.