Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 547113 times)

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #1260 on: May 17, 2020, 08:41:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Quote from: larryhagman
Expand Quote

Girl Kennedy 9.25" couch shape
ace 55
old spitfire classics used to be 55mm w/ bronson g2 (also courtesy of Chromeandflammen)
[close]

somone DMed me about the Trukfit on the girl couch shape and I thought I'd share my measurements for anyone interested

Expand Quote
good question I was racking my brain over this a lot before getting the 55s for the deck.

anyway, the shape does taper, 9.25" is just the widest point at the center, my rough measurements are
8 and 15/16" over the front bolt holes toward the nose
9 and 1/8" over the front bolt holes toward the center

8 and 7/8" over the back bolt holes toward the center
8 and 5/8" over the back bolt holes toward the tail

since Ace 55 have a 9" axle they are pretty much perfect on this board.
Nothing sticking out, wheels almost flush, which I prefer

I initially set it up with Indy 149s which worked surprisingly well but is way too tippy and the magic carpet killed me.

be aware that the nose and tail feel really steep because of the 3 fingers of flat. nothing you can't get used to though.

hope this helps!
[close]
[close]

Thanks for posting this. Running the Love Seat shape right now and for over the trucks:

Back truck, back bolts: 8.5"
Back truck, front bolts: 8.625"
Front truck, back bolts: 8.875"
Front truck, front bolts: 8.75"

I'm skating it with Indy 149s. The WB is the shortest I've ever knowingly skated at 13.875, otherwise I would run it with Aces.
[close]

any carpet ride with the 149s? i hv the Primitive Anxiety Man egg shaped 9.125" 14.25"wb deck. was thinking either pair it with Ace 44s, Indy 149s or Thunder 151s..
[close]

I have the Villani Egg which is the same shape setup with some Thunder 149’s.  I love it!  Skates like much narrower board. I can still flip it fine. No crazy magic carpet feel/look.  I run two washers on the inside.  Board tapers to about 8.75 at the wheels.  Really any of those trucks would work well.   Thunder 151’s would be the most precise fit width wise.  I wish Ace had an 8.75 axel truck.
[close]

Expand Quote

[close]
Slight magic carper over the front of the Love Seat but the back truck is basically flush. 159s looked too wide for it to me and the 149s look and feel great. I actually just swapped them out for some ace 44s with extra washers last night so we'll see how they do as well.

Edit: here it is with the Ace 44s, both washers inside and the wheels sit at about the same place. I prefer Aces and think the look better.

Sick shape. Thanks for the details folks.
And FI that truly shows the flexibility of range w/44s. I’ve got mine on an 8” ps stix, working great. Really hope they don’t change the size

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1261 on: May 17, 2020, 09:23:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

ace 55
old spitfire classics used to be 55mm w/ bronson g2 (also courtesy of Chromeandflammen)
[close]

somone DMed me about the Trukfit on the girl couch shape and I thought I'd share my measurements for anyone interested

Expand Quote
good question I was racking my brain over this a lot before getting the 55s for the deck.

anyway, the shape does taper, 9.25" is just the widest point at the center, my rough measurements are

I initially set it up with Indy 149s which worked surprisingly well but is way too tippy and the magic carpet killed me.

be aware that the nose and tail feel really steep because of the 3 fingers of flat. nothing you can't get used to though.

hope this helps!
[close]
[close]

Thanks for posting this. Running the Love Seat shape right now and for over the trucks:

I'm skating it with Indy 149s. The WB is the shortest I've ever knowingly skated at 13.875, otherwise I would run it with Aces.
[close]

any carpet ride with the 149s? i hv the Primitive Anxiety Man egg shaped 9.125" 14.25"wb deck. was thinking either pair it with Ace 44s, Indy 149s or Thunder 151s..
[close]

I have the Villani Egg which is the same shape setup with some Thunder 149’s.  I love it!  Skates like much narrower board. I can still flip it fine. No crazy magic carpet feel/look.  I run two washers on the inside.  Board tapers to about 8.75 at the wheels.  Really any of those trucks would work well.   Thunder 151’s would be the most precise fit width wise.  I wish Ace had an 8.75 axel truck.
[close]

Expand Quote

[close]
Slight magic carper over the front of the Love Seat but the back truck is basically flush. 159s looked too wide for it to me and the 149s look and feel great. I actually just swapped them out for some ace 44s with extra washers last night so we'll see how they do as well.

Edit: here it is with the Ace 44s, both washers inside and the wheels sit at about the same place. I prefer Aces and think the look better.

How's the pop feel with Aces? Girl couch decks had pretty big fingers of flat iirc

babywantsbluevelvet

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 36
« Reply #1262 on: May 17, 2020, 10:32:30 AM »
Previous Scram met an untimely death, new fella

Scram 10’ wide, 33 long, 15 wb
Indy 159 (switched to 169’s now)
Spitfire f4 58mm comics full

Feels just like a longer Dane1

Love it! Might need to try something like that. How's the ride?

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #1263 on: May 17, 2020, 10:42:36 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

It’s actually great! I was worried that the length and wb would mess me up as I’m used to riding shorter boards, but it surprisingly feels like I have a lot of control with the extra length. Reasonably steep kicks with very little flat and medium concave. Has great pop!

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1264 on: May 17, 2020, 10:53:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

It’s actually great! I was worried that the length and wb would mess me up as I’m used to riding shorter boards, but it surprisingly feels like I have a lot of control with the extra length. Reasonably steep kicks with very little flat and medium concave. Has great pop!

Scram is so sick.
That thing is a behemoth! The deck is making 159s look like 139s, or something.
Rad that it still can be ollied. I bet hills are comfortable.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #1265 on: May 17, 2020, 10:56:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

ace 55
[close]

Expand Quote

hope this helps!
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Sick shape. Thanks for the details folks.
And FI that truly shows the flexibility of range w/44s. I’ve got mine on an 8” ps stix, working great. Really hope they don’t change the size

Me too. Considering hoarding because of how much I like them.

How's the pop feel with Aces? Girl couch decks had pretty big fingers of flat iirc

It has a lot of flat but also very steep kicks, which I'm not used to but am enjoying quite a bit. I love the pop on Aces for every board I've skated, and with this setup in particular the only real differences I've noticed are that I need to pop from way deeper in the pocket for nollies and from closer to the tip of the tail for anything regular (including flipping my board). My last couple boards (all with very mellow kicks) have been kind of the opposite.

Still feels better than with the Indys to me just because I like the height and stability of Aces way more.

babywantsbluevelvet

• Rep: 36
« Reply #1266 on: May 17, 2020, 11:08:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Amazing. I think I'll try one of their boards to replace the 10" popsicle at some point. The shape must cut down on the weight enough to make it more skateable.

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #1267 on: May 17, 2020, 12:18:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Scram is so sick.
That thing is a behemoth! The deck is making 159s look like 139s, or something.
Rad that it still can be ollied. I bet hills are comfortable.

I haven’t skated any hills yet, but I’ll bet it feels awesome! Hell yeah, this is my third Scram and I’ve loved each one

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #1268 on: May 17, 2020, 12:52:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Amazing. I think I'll try one of their boards to replace the 10" popsicle at some point. The shape must cut down on the weight enough to make it more skateable.

Yeah, I’m curious how I would feel on the 10’ pop. I’ve had a couple of 9’ and 8.75 pops recently and ride 10/10.75 old school style decks regularly so I imagine it wouldn’t be too unwieldy. It’s weird trying to ride 8/8.25 pops after getting used to bigger decks. I was riding one yesterday and it felt so small and light haha
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 02:19:49 PM by Sundaynuggets »

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #1269 on: May 17, 2020, 01:43:11 PM »
finally got around to setting this up and then got called in to work before I could ride it :'(
Maybe that's just my punishment for the dual citizenship sticker job, or for having the audacity to set up these ugly ass wheels.

Heroin Grave Digger 9.5
Jessup
Indi 169
Bones STF V4s, 54mm 99a
Bones Big Bawls

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #1270 on: May 17, 2020, 02:49:28 PM »
 :-*

Riding pretty much exactly the same setup atm.
The leftover skateboards clone of this scram 90s.
Sams shape and dims on 169 and ex 58mm f4.

Love it!

PMA

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #1271 on: May 17, 2020, 03:04:59 PM »
:-*
Expand Quote

[close]

Riding pretty much exactly the same setup atm.
The leftover skateboards clone of this scram 90s.
Sams shape and dims on 169 and ex 58mm f4.

Love it!

Nice! I wanted to get a Leftover but he is currently sold out of the one I wanted. I know he uses South central for some of those, is yours a SC? Super nice guy

animalflesh

« Reply #1272 on: May 17, 2020, 03:10:33 PM »
Believe it or not the leftover cake first

And verified that they are both the exact same board

white guy in a Durag u from jersey

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #1273 on: May 17, 2020, 06:01:55 PM »
Do any of you guys keep a popsicle in your lineup or do you just ride big boy setups exclusively? I find myself leaning more toward my 9.5 than my 8.38 popsicle lately even though I mostly skate street.

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #1274 on: May 17, 2020, 06:35:19 PM »
Do any of you guys keep a popsicle in your lineup or do you just ride big boy setups exclusively? I find myself leaning more toward my 9.5 than my 8.38 popsicle lately even though I mostly skate street.

Same. I skate pretty much only street and ride a popsicle, but am slowly shifting to using my bigger set ups more and more often because they are so fun. I do mostly the same tricks on both, give or take but usually switch back and forth depending on what feels good. Oddly, I get a lot more mileage on my big set ups because I switch decks a lot and  reskate each one three or four “seasons” whereas I tend to ride my pops all the way through without switching.

Not sober, hope that made sense haha

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #1275 on: May 17, 2020, 06:44:33 PM »

white guy in a Durag u from jersey

Yeah, I'm in Jersey City

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #1276 on: May 17, 2020, 07:09:07 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Same. I skate pretty much only street and ride a popsicle, but am slowly shifting to using my bigger set ups more and more often because they are so fun. I do mostly the same tricks on both, give or take but usually switch back and forth depending on what feels good. Oddly, I get a lot more mileage on my big set ups because I switch decks a lot and  reskate each one three or four “seasons” whereas I tend to ride my pops all the way through without switching.

Not sober, hope that made sense haha
Made perfectly good sense to me!

Saint Coke

« Reply #1277 on: May 17, 2020, 08:27:31 PM »
How many of you skate shaped boards regularly?

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #1278 on: May 18, 2020, 01:39:13 AM »

My tired is my only ‘normal’ board. Other than that I just have a tiny Polarizer. Just feels normal to me. Rode a Fucked Up Blind Kids board which felt tiny and that’s like 9 inch I think.

Uncle Poseur

• Rep: 8
« Reply #1279 on: May 18, 2020, 04:25:12 AM »

My normal board is a 10" shaped. Keep in mind, I'm not a "street skater." I hop on my daughter's 8.5" popcicle now and then. Just never got comfortable on the 8.5, but then again, I'm a grown-ass-man who's been skating wide decks since the 80's.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #1280 on: May 18, 2020, 05:37:00 AM »

I usually do one or the other, but over the past couple years I have been moving to just big shaped. Makes me less picky about the minutia of the board (WB, concave, etc) if I just like how the the overall shape looks and it has never had a negative effect on my (very limited) skating abilities.

chris.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 184
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1281 on: May 18, 2020, 06:13:23 AM »
I was already starting to skate my shaped egg-ish deck a lot more and now after rolling my ankle recently on a smaller popsicle it's all I'm skating.

This is all in the time of quarantine, I'm curious to take my shaped deck to the park and see how it feels.

Alois Hitler Jr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -389
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
  • User is banned from postingMuted
« Reply #1282 on: May 18, 2020, 06:20:53 AM »

In the last 5 years all my boards were shaped..never riding popsicle again .
It would be much cooler if you could tell who’s pro board is it just by the shape like the old days.
9/11 was a national tragedy

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 286
« Reply #1283 on: May 18, 2020, 08:30:13 AM »
And I now have 12 setups.  ::)
This one was my excuse to get some 6.1s.
14" wheelbase. I was scared. Never skated anything this small. Well I'm sure I have back in the 80s or 90s before I knew about wheelbase. Turns out, I really like it. Instead of feeling cramped; I feel spring loaded. Its quick and fun. Was the most hesitant about how it would feel in the pool at the park. A little squirrelly on a couple re entrys; but not as bad as I thought it might be. Kind of squirelly on landings in general. Just takes some getting used to. By the end of the weekend; I'm in love with this thing. It might just replace my "normal" board.
On the topic of the Ventures, damn these things are high. I feel like I have a riser pad on. But because of that, I'm able to have the trucks almost wobbly loose and not getting much wheelbite. Running all stock on the bushings; and they feel fine.
54 Conical fulls.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1284 on: May 18, 2020, 09:40:32 AM »
14" wheelbase. I was scared. Never skated anything this small. Well I'm sure I have back in the 80s or 90s before I knew about wheelbase. Turns out, I really like it. Instead of feeling cramped; I feel spring loaded. Its quick and fun. Was the most hesitant about how it would feel in the pool at the park. A little squirrelly on a couple re entrys; but not as bad as I thought it might be. Kind of squirelly on landings in general. Just takes some getting used to. By the end of the weekend; I'm in love with this thing. It might just replace my "normal" board.
On the topic of the Ventures, damn these things are high. I feel like I have a riser pad on. But because of that, I'm able to have the trucks almost wobbly loose and not getting much wheelbite. Running all stock on the bushings; and they feel fine.
54 Conical fulls.

Setup looks very very cool

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #1285 on: May 18, 2020, 09:42:43 AM »
54 Conical fulls.

That might be the set up that convinces me to try 6.1 Ventures...

Saint Coke

« Reply #1286 on: May 18, 2020, 10:07:25 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It would be much cooler if you could tell who’s pro board is it just by the shape like the old days.
I agree. My favorie board shape was Tony Hawk's Powell with the snub nose.
https://www.google.com/search?q=tony+hawk+powell+peralta&safe=strict&sxsrf=ALeKk03zYvTA7cUSRiXKKdSs3BshvY_i3w:1589821583743&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj62YT28r3pAhXLZs0KHfL0CH0Q_AUoAnoECAsQBA&biw=1464&bih=676#imgrc=6LqAR30craW5RM

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1287 on: May 18, 2020, 10:15:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
I agree. My favorie board shape was Tony Hawk's Powell with the snub nose.
https://www.google.com/search?q=tony+hawk+powell+peralta&safe=strict&sxsrf=ALeKk03zYvTA7cUSRiXKKdSs3BshvY_i3w:1589821583743&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj62YT28r3pAhXLZs0KHfL0CH0Q_AUoAnoECAsQBA&biw=1464&bih=676#imgrc=6LqAR30craW5RM

My first real board.
I also miss the days when people had an actual signature shape.

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #1288 on: May 18, 2020, 11:16:30 AM »
I agree with everything you guys just said. I had so much fun finding a deck that matched the shape and dimensions my very first one over 2 decades ago. Now everytime I ride it I smile like a fool. I also subconsciously put less pressure on myself to be able to do every trick I could do when I was younger. The only downside I have found is 360 flips (which I have an unhealthy obsession with) are extremely difficult for me on 9 plus boards.

animalflesh

« Reply #1289 on: May 18, 2020, 11:19:40 AM »
It won’t make any difference if you find the right shape

A big football or 90s style shape with a 14-14.5 wheelbase tre flips just as easy as anything