Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 753479 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #6870 on: April 08, 2024, 03:25:19 PM »
Anyone know if there are drops for the Chop Shop? Or do they stock randomly. On the hunt for some 60 hangars.

https://mesaskatesupply.com/collections/jts-chop-shop

I feel like the most common trucks have been out of stock for a while, but that might just be whenever I have checked in recent months.

No idea if they restock and sell out, or if the standard lines, most commonly the 60s and 66s look like they are always out of stock.

https://mesaskatesupply.com/collections/af1-trucks

Seems like those sets of trucks have been restocked though, all 60s in stock which probably doesn't help you much - get the trucks as a whole and sell the baseplates might be the best option there, or keep them as spares.

I know some people were keen on the low basplates too.

With Ace it is the same hanger throughout all their trucks, just the height difference in the baseplate, as people have said on here before.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Bandee

« Reply #6871 on: April 08, 2024, 05:07:46 PM »
Has anyone run 56mm conical full's fine on af1's without risers? I got some 1/8" risers on rn, and its going okay, but it's been weird adjusting and I'm ghost popping alot sometimes. Wondering if I would be okay without any risers. I could probably just tighten my trucks a little or wax where my wheels would bite, I'm like 140 pounds and 5'11" so Im thinking I probably could. If not I'll just adjust

Frank and Fred

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 822
« Reply #6872 on: April 08, 2024, 05:24:33 PM »
Depends on width of truck and deck also. More manageable/ less wheelbite on 8.5" and under.

Bandee

« Reply #6873 on: April 08, 2024, 05:29:00 PM »
I'm riding af1 44's with an 8.38 egg

ugly flacko

• Rep: 12
« Reply #6874 on: April 09, 2024, 12:04:11 AM »
Has anyone run 56mm conical full's fine on af1's without risers? I got some 1/8" risers on rn, and its going okay, but it's been weird adjusting and I'm ghost popping alot sometimes. Wondering if I would be okay without any risers. I could probably just tighten my trucks a little or wax where my wheels would bite, I'm like 140 pounds and 5'11" so Im thinking I probably could. If not I'll just adjust

I do ! Ace AF1 55 with 56mm conical full and also rode the new lock ins full in 55mm. I used to have risers but same as you, felt better without and ditched 'em ! I still have wheel bites sometimes but I also have pretty loose trucks so it also happens riding indy trucks anyway. Waxing the wheel wells is my go to

Bandee

« Reply #6875 on: April 09, 2024, 04:38:05 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I do ! Ace AF1 55 with 56mm conical full and also rode the new lock ins full in 55mm. I used to have risers but same as you, felt better without and ditched 'em ! I still have wheel bites sometimes but I also have pretty loose trucks so it also happens riding indy trucks anyway. Waxing the wheel wells is my go to

Thanks! I'll probably just go for it and wax my wheel wells. I used to ride my af1's looser but tightened them up to like a thread and a little showing, probably will leave it like that if I'm taking off the risers.

Number

• Rep: 22
« Reply #6876 on: April 09, 2024, 05:52:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Anyone know if there are drops for the Chop Shop? Or do they stock randomly. On the hunt for some 60 hangars.
[close]

https://mesaskatesupply.com/collections/jts-chop-shop

I feel like the most common trucks have been out of stock for a while, but that might just be whenever I have checked in recent months.

No idea if they restock and sell out, or if the standard lines, most commonly the 60s and 66s look like they are always out of stock.

https://mesaskatesupply.com/collections/af1-trucks

Seems like those sets of trucks have been restocked though, all 60s in stock which probably doesn't help you much - get the trucks as a whole and sell the baseplates might be the best option there, or keep them as spares.

I know some people were keen on the low basplates too.

With Ace it is the same hanger throughout all their trucks, just the height difference in the baseplate, as people have said on here before.

Appreciate the info, ended up getting a pair of hollows from my local. First time trying Ace from decades of Indy.

DonkeyRhubarb

• Rep: 4
« Reply #6877 on: April 09, 2024, 07:02:03 AM »
Can anyone comment on the weight difference between regular AF1s and AF1 hollows? I've got regular AF1s in 66 and 77 and wondering whether the weight difference makes it worth grabbing some hollows.

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 297
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #6878 on: April 09, 2024, 07:39:10 AM »
skatedeluxe.com lists weight as follows for the 77s:

Ace 77 AF1: 431 g
Ace 77 AF1 Hollow : 405 g

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 218
« Reply #6879 on: April 09, 2024, 08:20:45 AM »
Can anyone comment on the weight difference between regular AF1s and AF1 hollows? I've got regular AF1s in 66 and 77 and wondering whether the weight difference makes it worth grabbing some hollows.

If you google AF1 size chart or Ace size chart the official Ace website has a big comprehensive chart with heights, widths, and weights for all variations.

DonkeyRhubarb

• Rep: 4
« Reply #6880 on: April 09, 2024, 08:41:19 AM »
Thanks for the info. Looks like I'll save just over an ounce on 77 hollows - so probably worth it.

Gleefull508

• Rep: 22
« Reply #6881 on: April 09, 2024, 10:51:58 AM »

This is my current setup and It might be my favorite setup ever

rikki

• Rep: 302
« Reply #6882 on: April 10, 2024, 12:23:44 AM »
I run Ace 1/16" shock pads on my big bowl setup (58 wheels).

Fasttimes

• Rep: -32
« Reply #6883 on: April 13, 2024, 07:27:11 PM »

I never understood the obsession over weight at this level. Can you really tell difference of about one ounce? A 200 lb person is about 5600 grams or 350 ounces. So the difference in weight in these 2 truck types is 0.2% of the overall weight of the person. Shouldn't change how many stairs you Ollie or Ollie height lol.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6884 on: April 13, 2024, 07:28:19 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I never understood the obsession over weight at this level. Can you really tell difference of about one ounce? A 200 lb person is about 5600 grams or 350 ounces. So the difference in weight in these 2 truck types is 0.2% of the overall weight of the person. Shouldn't change how many stairs you Ollie or Ollie height lol.

I agree but my shins tell me its better to be hit with hollow axles and KPs....

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 218
« Reply #6885 on: April 13, 2024, 08:29:05 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

It’s an interesting argument, and one that gets brought up in cycling a bunch. With so much hype and money going into weight savings, sometimes it helps to zoom out from bike weight and look at “system weight” (bike + rider). Cheapest way to cut weight is to skip a burrito a week for a few months and lose 5lbs rather than spend hundreds to shave grams off your bike build. Counterarguments include location of weight, efficiency, aerodynamics, etc.

With skateboarding I think the argument for gram shaving is a little bit more compelling, because the idea of “system weight” kinda falls away when we’re talking about flipping and maneuvering the board - here I think rotational inertia can be impacted by altering variables such as board width, truck weight, wheel size, etc. The magnitude is likely going to be relatively small for most average setups (with a little bit of placebo effect for most folks), but I bet you’d notice a difference flipping an 8 ply 8.5 with standard Indys and 59mm radial fulls vs a flight deck with titanium thunders and 51mm tablets.

All that said, do I notice a difference when riding hollow 60s vs classic 55s? Not a ton, but it’s fun to stare through my hanger at things.

Bongwater Mojito

• Rep: 72
« Reply #6886 on: April 13, 2024, 09:11:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

With skateboarding I think the argument for gram shaving is a little bit more compelling, because the idea of “system weight” kinda falls away when we’re talking about flipping and maneuvering the board - here I think rotational inertia can be impacted by altering variables such as board width, truck weight, wheel size, etc. The magnitude is likely going to be relatively small for most average setups (with a little bit of placebo effect for most folks), but I bet you’d notice a difference flipping an 8 ply 8.5 with standard Indys and 59mm radial fulls vs a flight deck with titanium thunders and 51mm tablets.

All that said, do I notice a difference when riding hollow 60s vs classic 55s? Not a ton, but it’s fun to stare through my hanger at things.

You guys got me nerd sniped, so applied the lever equation with above weights, assuming tail to be 6.5 inches and wheelbase 14.5 inches. The force limit to raise heavier truck off the ground is 6% higher than to raise the lighter truck. I could argue it's not placebo small.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2024, 10:59:33 PM by Bongwater Mojito »

Fasttimes

• Rep: -32
« Reply #6887 on: April 14, 2024, 02:41:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

It’s an interesting argument, and one that gets brought up in cycling a bunch. With so much hype and money going into weight savings, sometimes it helps to zoom out from bike weight and look at “system weight” (bike + rider). Cheapest way to cut weight is to skip a burrito a week for a few months and lose 5lbs rather than spend hundreds to shave grams off your bike build. Counterarguments include location of weight, efficiency, aerodynamics, etc.

We always thought hollows were for smoking to be honest..  . .

You explain it better than me. I just grew up watching the best skaters not giving a thought about setup or sizes, weight, etc Speed was noticeable of a skater I grew up aspiring to be. I mean if you shave weight off every single thing, yeah whole different animal. I'm seeing some smaller guys skating 10 lb set ups. Their shins will be burger. I purposely like a hefty board, but I'm not gonna shave an ounce off my board and then put 60s on. It's not worth worrying about. I ride 58s so the truck differential isn't worth paying extra to be honest. I do religiously ride 8" trucks with washers up to 8.5 (old baker boys did that as well). I'm 200 lbs though, a 145 lb dude with a 9 inch board and 60s saving an ounce is wasting money. Just my thought. It's a good convo all day, of course.

Usually the best dudes at the park don't even know what trucks they have, I grew up with that mentality where the practice was the key not 22.4 grams. But it's all love if you wanna learn it. Any board over 8" that your saving an ounce on, is probably irrelevant. I'm east too though so wheels were always bigger by necessity.

logjammin

• Rep: 346
« Reply #6888 on: April 14, 2024, 08:07:38 AM »
I worry less about weight and moreso about the longevity and strength of the product. Hollow axles sketch me out, if they're on my board I'm losing sleep terrified of them bending in the middle of the night. Solid axles all day. Hollow kingpins are fine, though.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6889 on: April 14, 2024, 09:05:58 AM »
I believe there is an argument that hollow axles can actually be stronger but perhaps I won't open that can of worms...

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6890 on: April 14, 2024, 03:00:28 PM »

Not too long ago, I found that a certain larger board I had set up was a little heavier, when compared to other boards I have, so I tried hollow axle hangers on the setup and found it did help and that it felt more like the other boards I was more used to.

Regardless of brands, or other info, I could see this as one of those times that hollow axles do come in handy, but usually I would just ride the standard / plain / solid axle and kingpin options in any truck, over anything with forged baseplate, hollow axles or kingpins, etc.

That is not to say that I would go change any of the other bigger boards to the lighter options, but I can see and understand why people would want that, just to lighten up the board a bit.

As to strength, I have seen hollow axles bend just the same (sometimes more) than solid axles in some brands, even ti axles still bent in older trucks, but the newer ones just snap off, so I probably shouldn't say anything else about that here, but the weight saving is even more on those.

Fooj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 188
« Reply #6891 on: April 15, 2024, 12:31:23 AM »
This could probably qualify for the dumb questions thread, but when did Ace bearings show up? Feel like this is the first ive seen of them.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6892 on: April 15, 2024, 04:42:09 AM »
This could probably qualify for the dumb questions thread, but when did Ace bearings show up? Feel like this is the first ive seen of them.

I hadn't seen any actually out, but they were on the Ace instagram in Jan, so I am guessing they made it out to some places.

Maybe they were in the bearings thread, cause I checked and they don't show up here in this thread, so I guess pretty easy to miss from that alone.

Post here:

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1308
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6893 on: April 15, 2024, 10:03:58 AM »
Seems like Ace is developing an inverted kingpin option? Or it could be rider mods. Interesting that Ace hid it in their repost. I did take a picture of Spanky when he was in town for a demo and he had some inverted kingpins on his trucks, though it looked like a different style. At the very least, a baseplate that accomodates inverted kingpins like Thunders could be cool.
Untitled by
Untitled by
2024-04-15 16:59:28 by

The real veganshawn

• Rep: 104
  • What the fuck was that
« Reply #6894 on: April 15, 2024, 06:37:08 PM »
Nice
Cocteau Twins

logjammin

• Rep: 346
« Reply #6895 on: April 15, 2024, 07:46:54 PM »
Never saw those Ace bearings until now, decent price point I'll have to try some out after my current lucky set of unstoppable Reds explode or something. I'm curious to see how they are designing their inverted baseplates. Hope it's not the shaft nut sleeve thing like Indy cause that shit definitely came loose on me.

Bold

• Rep: 36
« Reply #6896 on: April 16, 2024, 05:05:47 AM »
The AF1 soft bushings are a bit too soft for me so I swapped them for some ace hard tops and independent stage 4 90a bottom barrels on my AF1 55s. They are pretty much broken in now and I'm liking the setup.

the_dangery_bois

• Rep: 64
« Reply #6897 on: April 16, 2024, 07:51:16 AM »
Does anyone else have an issue where one side of a threaded axle is shorter than the rest?  (Mine are af1 66)

I had to leave the washers off on one side so that the nut would tighten properly.  It was enough of a pain that I just took all the washers off, but on the side where it was snug, the friction made the bearing shield wear down.  I don’t ride my wheels tight, it’s very annoying because it ruined my bearings.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 343
« Reply #6898 on: April 16, 2024, 07:55:20 AM »
just got a pair of AF1 off ebay for $30

anyone know how to paint the baseplate? i wanna get some colors on em!
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 781
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #6899 on: April 16, 2024, 08:44:33 AM »
just got a pair of AF1 off ebay for $30

anyone know how to paint the baseplate? i wanna get some colors on em!
Disassemble the truck and spray paint. Did that with some blue ace base plates that I painted silver. Did a thin layer let it dry in the sun and repeat

I’ve had to take away a washer to get the nut to stay on my AF1 hanger. Maybe try an axle nut from another truck. I had to do that. Used an Indy axle nut to hold one of my wheels on otherwise running the ace brand nut flush with the thread could be loosened by my finger. Thankfully the trucks (af1 44) have worked fine since.

nothing's been the since same