Author Topic: Skate Shit you've Bought Recently  (Read 988115 times)

ridethegutter, backside_frontside and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 343
Re: Skate Shit you've Bought Recently
« Reply #8670 on: August 23, 2023, 11:59:00 AM »
NB#1010

does anyone know how to color the orange foam? i love these shoes but the orange is a bit of an eyesore for me. any tips would help!

i got this real deck of Long Beach Skate. Says its a 8.38 but the DLX catalog has it listed as an 8.5 and when I used a tape to measure it, it falls just short of 8.5/8.4
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8671 on: August 23, 2023, 04:53:28 PM »

i got this real deck of Long Beach Skate. Says its a 8.38 but the DLX catalog has it listed as an 8.5 and when I used a tape to measure it, it falls just short of 8.5/8.4

Yeah that is the typical "Blue eagle" shape, so the shorter 8.5 x 31.8 with 14.25 wb which starts off about 8.4 and tapers down to about 8.3 at the back or even less on some boards.

A good shape for people who want a shorter and not quite so wide 8.5 board, but definitely not the usual 8.38 which is longer and doesnt taper at all, 8.38 x 32.2 with 14.5 wb, which that Tanner Van Vark board was you and I have both had before.

Sound confusing?  It can be very annoying for some people from the listings and other spec info.

If you don't mind giving it a go, easy, but if you were set on the actual 8.38 size, then oopppps.

Sorry.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 343
« Reply #8672 on: August 23, 2023, 05:10:18 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah that is the typical "Blue eagle" shape, so the shorter 8.5 x 31.8 with 14.25 wb which starts off about 8.4 and tapers down to about 8.3 at the back or even less on some boards.

A good shape for people who want a shorter and not quite so wide 8.5 board, but definitely not the usual 8.38 which is longer and doesnt taper at all, 8.38 x 32.2 with 14.5 wb, which that Tanner Van Vark board was you and I have both had before.

Sound confusing?  It can be very annoying for some people from the listings and other spec info.

If you don't mind giving it a go, easy, but if you were set on the actual 8.38 size, then oopppps.

Sorry.

all good bro! ive seen your ig and it seems you know DLX shapes really well.

also since you tinker around with gear - any tips on getting that foam black? thanks
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8673 on: August 23, 2023, 05:48:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Sorry.
[close]

all good bro! ive seen your ig and it seems you know DLX shapes really well.

also since you tinker around with gear - any tips on getting that foam black? thanks

Had unknowingly skipped over the shoes before, but now I look at them again, I might have some ideas.

I know we used to paint or colour the shoes or even areas of them as I had done again recently, but as soon as you get some wear, the original colour shows through fairly quickly.  Even nail polish type of thing for fine work, which might sound silly, but it is the sort of fine detail that could make them a lot more workable.

Guessing even just dulling down the colour somewhat would be good there, but as it is not any usual material that I could easily paint, suede or canvas being the main ones, I wonder if even putting black shoe goo thinly over it might at least black it out some without it looking silly and protecting it from the first ollie which would take off the paint or other thing on there.

Maybe whatever colour nail polish or fine paint and then super glue or clear shoe goo over it?  The black paint and super glue worked on another pair of shoes with a big VANS down the side I wanted to tone down.

Just throwing round some ideas anyway.

DeepSpace9mm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 100
« Reply #8674 on: August 23, 2023, 06:24:21 PM »
This counts as skate shit

Also picked up a set of 51mm Conical Fulls and a 9” Palace Ville deck.

wahwahwah

• Rep: -4
« Reply #8675 on: August 24, 2023, 04:49:43 AM »
bought some lakais for 40€ from a random local outlet store

the box looked like they had been there since 2014 but the shoes are fucking great been loving skating them

learned bunch of new shit in them :D

Sipe nousee sisään,
Niin nousee herkkokin.

rusty knees

• Rep: -10
  • I had a photo in SLAP
« Reply #8676 on: August 25, 2023, 07:24:48 AM »
been rocking the same trucks forever, one nut got hella loose and almost came off during session, wheel moves 1/2 an inch.

never had to buy a rethreader before and never used one either, got it home and it worked perfectly.
did it to all four axle ends and used new nuts and now my setup is fresh as fuck. never buying new trucks!!

ridethegutter

• Rep: 66
« Reply #8677 on: August 26, 2023, 08:46:39 AM »
Just bought a metal deck and a clive disorder deck.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1156
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #8678 on: August 26, 2023, 04:12:59 PM »

Turned into a bit of a treat yourself month..

Pepper galaxy, Jessup ultra, mob M80
Atlantic Drift 8.75
Ryan Townley Welcome Enera shape
Film 6.0s
Mini Logos for the memes
There hat
Adidas Puigs
Drehobl Woodworking cutting board

Daydream

• Rep: 80
« Reply #8679 on: August 26, 2023, 08:06:13 PM »

Atlantic Drift 8.75
Film 6.0s
Mini Logos for the memes
There hat
Adidas Puigs
that Atlantic drift 8.75 from classifieds…!

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1156
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #8680 on: August 26, 2023, 08:23:50 PM »
Expand Quote

Atlantic Drift 8.75
Film 6.0s
Mini Logos for the memes
There hat
Adidas Puigs
[close]
that Atlantic drift 8.75 from classifieds…!

Yeah. Big shout out to @GumOnMyGrip its such a cool board I almost hate to skate it…. Almost

AlumarX

• Rep: 13
« Reply #8681 on: August 28, 2023, 08:02:15 AM »
Since I keep losing my 4th wheel on my cruisers, had to buy a set of Ricta clouds 78a 54mm and modus blue bearings. X99s are making me not want to buy any harder feeling wheels again, the chatter kills my knees.

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 297
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #8682 on: August 28, 2023, 09:48:49 AM »
Indie titaniums. Waiting for them to be delivered.

FUBAR

• Rep: 240
« Reply #8683 on: August 29, 2023, 01:48:05 AM »
Mini Logo 8.5 and even though it’s taking a little getting used to, I think I am going to end up ordering at least one more.

KidCarl

• Rep: 28
« Reply #8684 on: August 31, 2023, 06:31:51 PM »

Got a pair 8.5s from element. Surprised to see it had the BBS Holo sticker

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8685 on: August 31, 2023, 11:25:08 PM »

Split wood veneers too on those ones???

It is a bit weird, some runs are BBS, some are China.

Different places seem to get different stock too, so unless I know or see them in person I don't risk it.  I only skate BBS boards, but that is just me.

At least when they are on such a good special, if they are not what I want, they can always get passed on to others.

KidCarl

• Rep: 28
« Reply #8686 on: September 01, 2023, 09:03:19 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Different places seem to get different stock too, so unless I know or see them in person I don't risk it.  I only skate BBS boards, but that is just me.

At least when they are on such a good special, if they are not what I want, they can always get passed on to others.
It says split/dip veneer.
It's probably BBS since it's more of an eco Collab. The 1%, plant a tree whatever probably doesn't make as much since if it's Chinese, but what do I know.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8687 on: September 01, 2023, 04:00:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
It says split/dip veneer.
It's probably BBS since it's more of an eco Collab. The 1%, plant a tree whatever probably doesn't make as much since if it's Chinese, but what do I know.

Yeah I had to look it up after seeing your boards.

https://www.elementbrand.com/element-x-smokey-bear-if-not-you-skateboard-deck-194844214881.html

Such a good size, shape, etc for me on the 8.5 boards and the split veneer is pretty cool too.

When I said "Its a bit weird..." I was meaning how they switch up woodshops, not the board itself.

Probably confused things wording it like that.

When you can get them at 50% off, why not, especially when there is not a crazy / bad graphic too.

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8688 on: September 04, 2023, 02:41:18 PM »
I just ordered the Sk8mafia mini.

lulz

• Rep: 75
« Reply #8689 on: September 05, 2023, 09:44:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Where did you get them? Are they really made in Germany (EU)?
[close]

Yeah they're legit. The GMN are NOS from ebay. They were a more common "premium" bearing back in the day, so there's still cases of them floating around. I believe old school skates sells NOS ones.

For the FAGs I found a guy in the Czech Republic who supplies industrial parts and he ordered them for me. Most suppliers don't want to bother with such small quantities and they often have like a 100 piece minimum order or they'll charge a bunch for shipping, so this was the easiest and cheapest way I found. They were I believe $28 including shipping and the whole process took about a month.

How were these bearings? Like compared to Swiss Six, my current favorite, and reds, they last me a month….
🙂
« Last Edit: September 05, 2023, 09:54:16 PM by lulz »

Crabby_Bastard

• Rep: 55
« Reply #8690 on: September 06, 2023, 09:56:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah they're legit. The GMN are NOS from ebay. They were a more common "premium" bearing back in the day, so there's still cases of them floating around. I believe old school skates sells NOS ones.

For the FAGs I found a guy in the Czech Republic who supplies industrial parts and he ordered them for me. Most suppliers don't want to bother with such small quantities and they often have like a 100 piece minimum order or they'll charge a bunch for shipping, so this was the easiest and cheapest way I found. They were I believe $28 including shipping and the whole process took about a month.
[close]

How were these bearings? Like compared to Swiss Six, my current favorite, and reds, they last me a month….
🙂

I had many sets of GMN bearings back in the 1980s. They were the best bearings for the price (about $10 back then IIRC) with NMB being a close second. When Bones Swiss came out it changed the bearing game. They rolled faster and lasted a lot longer but were 3x the cost of GMN. Swiss 6 weren't around back then but today, Swiss 6 are slightly better than regular Swiss IMO. Unless you are on a budget, stick with the Swiss 6.
How much for an order of ribs?

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 738
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #8691 on: September 06, 2023, 01:12:15 PM »
Did the tourist shit in NYC.
Shop shirts - kcdc, labor and terminal, which was an absolute trip to see in person
Hit the adidas outlet on the way out of Jersey and came up on some busenitz and some jerseys.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

emotional_degloving

• Rep: 44
« Reply #8692 on: September 06, 2023, 02:08:12 PM »
As a change of pace from my usual shoe buying habits of big bulky fuckers, I got some Accel Slims as a birthday treat, largely because they were £40.
I've been changing a lot of shit up, jumping from 8" decks to wide boy 8.75, felt like a slimmer shoe might be a good change of pace. Haven't skated them yet but they're a world apart from the Accel OGs. They're weird, they're how I imagine many of the early-mid 90s Etnies felt. I never wore any of those creps because I wasn't born until Yeah Right came out.

PalaceButtPlug

• Rep: -353
« Reply #8693 on: September 06, 2023, 02:12:54 PM »
I just ordered the Sk8mafia mini.

Been skating it for the last week, and it's reminded me about why i started skating the first place. So much fucking fun.

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 738
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #8694 on: September 06, 2023, 03:14:42 PM »
As a change of pace from my usual shoe buying habits of big bulky fuckers, I got some Accel Slims as a birthday treat, largely because they were £40.
I've been changing a lot of shit up, jumping from 8" decks to wide boy 8.75, felt like a slimmer shoe might be a good change of pace. Haven't skated them yet but they're a world apart from the Accel OGs. They're weird, they're how I imagine many of the early-mid 90s Etnies felt. I never wore any of those creps because I wasn't born until Yeah Right came out.

The Accel slim is such a let down compared to what it could be, at least in my mind. I wish eS would either reissue the Accel TT, or if the Accel slim is charmander and the Accel og is charizard, they need to put out a chsrmeleon Accel.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

slaab900turbo

• Rep: -3
« Reply #8695 on: September 06, 2023, 03:34:08 PM »
Bones Swiss.
Powell Dragons 53mm
Pepper Grip

First time trying any of these.

emotional_degloving

• Rep: 44
« Reply #8696 on: September 07, 2023, 05:33:14 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The Accel slim is such a let down compared to what it could be, at least in my mind. I wish eS would either reissue the Accel TT, or if the Accel slim is charmander and the Accel og is charizard, they need to put out a chsrmeleon Accel.

I remember my older brother had some Accel TTs at somepoint, white leather ones with Nyjah Houston's face on it like a fucked up Stan Smith with a predator instead of a tennis player on it.

Anyway if you want that Charmeleon shoe, try the Etnies Kingpins. Here's how they compare against the slims and the OGs. Sorry if i'm sounding like a broken record because I swear 99% of people with Kingpins are like "they are like accels but not bulky as shit but not like a stedded Authentic"

« Last Edit: September 07, 2023, 07:25:00 AM by emotional_degloving »

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #8697 on: September 07, 2023, 06:35:09 AM »
Just got two 8.25 14" WB primitives for €39.95 each and free shipping. Stoked.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 315
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #8698 on: September 07, 2023, 06:36:43 AM »
grind king rocket bolts

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #8699 on: September 07, 2023, 07:47:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

🙂
[close]

I had many sets of GMN bearings back in the 1980s. They were the best bearings for the price (about $10 back then IIRC) with NMB being a close second. When Bones Swiss came out it changed the bearing game. They rolled faster and lasted a lot longer but were 3x the cost of GMN. Swiss 6 weren't around back then but today, Swiss 6 are slightly better than regular Swiss IMO. Unless you are on a budget, stick with the Swiss 6.

I miss German bearings.

NMB’s were not bad either.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion