Author Topic: The Last Good Movie You Saw?  (Read 945636 times)

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
Re: The Last Good Movie You Saw?
« Reply #9660 on: April 16, 2023, 01:16:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
(PS people going to see/liking Mario and not really checking out D&D is why we can’t have nice things)
[close]

Saw D&D today.  Definitely entertaining.  Also since you and I were among the several people to see 65, it was funny how Chris Pine’s daughter in D&D basically played the same role in both films.
[close]

Hahah yeah there’s like 3 other movies like that she’s been in also.   I guess because she’s sorta distinct looking it’s easier to pick her out. 

Also, it’s sad more people can’t enjoy that “little” cameo in D&D.

Saw Renfield - crowd was eating it up until I realized during the credits it was a bunch of the crew from the makeup SFX department in the crowd.    It’s a serviceable film: the Renfield/Dracula stuff is fun but the other plot felt lacking/weird (trying not to spoil anything).   I left satisfied enough to have used a AMC free ticket on.
[close]

Oh I liked the cameo too.  The thing that didn’t make sense was how they escaped the maze (if that’s enough detail for you without getting too spoilery) - that was a little confusing for such a clear and otherwise well plotted popcorn movie.  But there were little kids literally yelling in my ear the whole movie so I may have missed something - parents in LA truly don’t give a shit.

Yeah Renfield’s coming up next.  AMC Stubs is making spring movies fun again, way lower stakes when you can see like 12 a month haha.

Little kids were going nuts when I saw Mario.   I knew it was a kids movie but I didn’t think it was for kids THaT young.   

Hah yeah I love Stubbs.   Only reason I’m seeing the new Evil Dead movie.   Audience was popping hard for the trailer so I thought it might be fun to see with a crowd even though I’m not a huge fan of the genre (I know Evil Dead genre adjacent).    I’m still deciding whether the Dolby cinema is recliners is better than straight IMAX.   

Mean salto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 862
« Reply #9661 on: April 16, 2023, 05:45:03 AM »
Vengeance (2022)
Real good smaller scale crime thriller thingo. Actually pretty funny too

Sketch Hitchcock

• Rep: 168
« Reply #9662 on: April 16, 2023, 08:04:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
(PS people going to see/liking Mario and not really checking out D&D is why we can’t have nice things)
[close]

Saw D&D today.  Definitely entertaining.  Also since you and I were among the several people to see 65, it was funny how Chris Pine’s daughter in D&D basically played the same role in both films.
[close]

Hahah yeah there’s like 3 other movies like that she’s been in also.   I guess because she’s sorta distinct looking it’s easier to pick her out. 

Saw Renfield - crowd was eating it up until I realized during the credits it was a bunch of the crew from the makeup SFX department in the crowd.    It’s a serviceable film: the Renfield/Dracula stuff is fun but the other plot felt lacking/weird (trying not to spoil anything).   I left satisfied enough to have used a AMC free ticket on.
[close]

Oh I liked the cameo too.  The thing that didn’t make sense was how they escaped the maze (if that’s enough detail for you without getting too spoilery) - that was a little confusing for such a clear and otherwise well plotted popcorn movie.  But there were little kids literally yelling in my ear the whole movie so I may have missed something - parents in LA truly don’t give a shit.

Yeah Renfield’s coming up next.  AMC Stubs is making spring movies fun again, way lower stakes when you can see like 12 a month haha.
[close]

Little kids were going nuts when I saw Mario.   I knew it was a kids movie but I didn’t think it was for kids THaT young.   

Hah yeah I love Stubbs.   Only reason I’m seeing the new Evil Dead movie.   Audience was popping hard for the trailer so I thought it might be fun to see with a crowd even though I’m not a huge fan of the genre (I know Evil Dead genre adjacent).    I’m still deciding whether the Dolby cinema is recliners is better than straight IMAX.

If it wasn’t shot with IMAX cameras, I’m less set on that format.  And yeah Dolby cinema VS. Prime VS. Laser is pretty confusing as AMC explains it! 

I saw How to Blow Up a Pipeline today.  Not sure how much longer it will be out since things like this come and go so quickly. 

It was a pretty effective ensemble thriller, almost like a television series condensed to an hour and 45 minutes - which was refreshing since I could imagine a similar story being stretched to 8+ episodes for the purposes of a streaming series.

Gonna see Kelly Reichardt’s Showing Up and Renfield this week I think.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 736
« Reply #9663 on: April 16, 2023, 08:25:48 PM »
Negative Nelly here. I watched Everything everywhere all at once, and it was terrible.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9664 on: April 16, 2023, 08:42:05 PM »
Negative Nelly here. I watched Everything everywhere all at once, and it was terrible.

Hah I didn’t think it was terrible, but I wasn’t a fan.   Thought it was about 45 minutes too long and like with Swiss Army Man, made the mistake of showing all their tricks way too early and then doing it over and over.   I still think the music video for “turn down for what” is their crowning glory.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9665 on: April 16, 2023, 08:47:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

If it wasn’t shot with IMAX cameras, I’m less set on that format.  And yeah Dolby cinema VS. Prime VS. Laser is pretty confusing as AMC explains it! 

I saw How to Blow Up a Pipeline today.  Not sure how much longer it will be out since things like this come and go so quickly. 

It was a pretty effective ensemble thriller, almost like a television series condensed to an hour and 45 minutes - which was refreshing since I could imagine a similar story being stretched to 8+ episodes for the purposes of a streaming series.

I get that, but very few movies are shot 100% with IMAX cameras and it’s not like the resolution is dulled or the image is stretched by being on that large a screen.   

When I was a lil kid in 97 we had one of the first IMAX theaters around in Irvine and they used to show midnight openings on that screen which was a rare treat.   Saw Men in Black and Batman and Robin there and it was a treat.  (In retrospect, a weirdly nice thing for my parents and 10 years older half-brother to take my 12 year old ass to)

I just like seeing things as big as possible, which would usually be the Chinese Theatre in Hollywood, but the sound is too echo-y for my ears to be able to process.   

Sketch Hitchcock

• Rep: 168
« Reply #9666 on: April 16, 2023, 08:56:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I get that, but very few movies are shot 100% with IMAX cameras and it’s not like the resolution is dulled or the image is stretched by being on that large a screen.   

When I was a lil kid in 97 we had one of the first IMAX theaters around in Irvine and they used to show midnight openings on that screen which was a rare treat.   Saw Men in Black and Batman and Robin there and it was a treat.  (In retrospect, a weirdly nice thing for my parents and 10 years older half-brother to take my 12 year old ass to)

I just like seeing things as big as possible, which would usually be the Chinese Theatre in Hollywood, but the sound is too echo-y for my ears to be able to process.

Oh yeah the main TCL theater is insane.  I saw Interstellar there and could barely hear dialogue through the score (but it was awesome).

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9667 on: April 16, 2023, 10:24:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Hah I didn’t think it was terrible, but I wasn’t a fan.   Thought it was about 45 minutes too long and like with Swiss Army Man, made the mistake of showing all their tricks way too early and then doing it over and over.   I still think the music video for “turn down for what” is their crowning glory.
It's just fuken relentless. I remember checking my phone like how much is left of this and I was only about 17 mins in. It's one of the very few examples (if not the only example) where I think it would be better split up into 22 min chunks as a netflix series 

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9668 on: April 16, 2023, 11:33:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
It's just fuken relentless. I remember checking my phone like how much is left of this and I was only about 17 mins in. It's one of the very few examples (if not the only example) where I think it would be better split up into 22 min chunks as a netflix series

Yeah bingo.   I remember feeling fine that that the movie was ending and then “all at once” or whatever the third chapter was called happened and I was so bummed hah.   And I’m a big proponent of long movies.   John Wick didn’t need to be as long as it was.   The whole Japan part could have been cut.   Paris was all gold baby

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9669 on: April 16, 2023, 11:35:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Oh yeah the main TCL theater is insane.  I saw Interstellar there and could barely hear dialogue through the score (but it was awesome).

Ahahahhaa I think that’s the one that tapped me out from there too.   Also, drives me nuts they don’t have a popcorn machine and have to pop it upstairs and (I guess) bring it down in trash bags

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
« Reply #9670 on: April 18, 2023, 01:35:25 PM »
Going to see a screening of Synecdoche, New York tomorrow night

In my top 5 favorite movies, but haven't watched it in a few years, and have never seen it in a theater
Extremely stoked

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1272
« Reply #9671 on: April 21, 2023, 08:41:44 AM »
evil dead rise fuckin rips

if you enjoy horror please go see it, some very clever nods to other classics

shit made me squirm and squeal a number of times i loved it

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9672 on: April 21, 2023, 04:06:06 PM »

Not going to lie, was very distracted by the entire cast being AUS/NZ but pretending they were Americans in Los Angeles.   Naughty Production Designer even left a “push bar to open” sign on a door. 

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 240
« Reply #9673 on: April 22, 2023, 08:22:33 PM »
Not a movie, but I started watching the Sopranos recently and I’m loving it. Just watched the episode where he finds out both his kids knows he isn’t in waste management.

childhood

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9674 on: April 23, 2023, 04:39:54 AM »
This youtube channel I like just put up the commentaries for the first two ED movies, thinking about giving them a rewatch, or at least the second one, before seeing the new one

So what's up, who's seen Beau is Afraid? I'm gonna watch it at some point anyway, worth going to the theater for?

Going to a showing of these two later today:

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
« Reply #9675 on: April 23, 2023, 10:57:43 AM »
Digital movie prices need to come down. $4+ for renting or $15+ to purchase a 20 year old movie is outrageous

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #9676 on: April 23, 2023, 11:24:47 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Not going to lie, was very distracted by the entire cast being AUS/NZ but pretending they were Americans in Los Angeles.   Naughty Production Designer even left a “push bar to open” sign on a door.

I've been living with my ex out of necessity since early January this year.  I've got a place starting next month, but things have started getting a bit tense, despite me sleeping on the couch and working an opposite shift schedule.

Long story short, she wants more space on her weekends, so I took myself on a date to go see this.  Took an edible before hand and had a blast.  I preferred the 2013 one, but the pacing on this was great.  Loved the callbacks in the last act too.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9677 on: April 23, 2023, 11:36:34 AM »
Digital movie prices need to come down. $4+ for renting or $15+ to purchase a 20 year old movie is outrageous

Bullshit.   Charles Dickens or Dostoyevsky books aren’t inherently cheaper bc they’re old, so why should a movie lose its value?    $4 is not an exorbitant cost for 1.5 - 2.5 hours of something. 

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9678 on: April 23, 2023, 11:48:34 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Bullshit.   Charles Dickens or Dostoyevsky books aren’t inherently cheaper bc they’re old, so why should a movie lose its value?    $4 is not an exorbitant cost for 1.5 - 2.5 hours of something.
They know nobody has a DVD player anymore. $15+ seems like a lot to me but only because I have hundreds of movies on physical copy I got about that price or lower. (Altho I wouldn't be surprised if I went into an actual store and dvds cost $40 these days)

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9679 on: April 23, 2023, 12:36:25 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Kinda irrelevant to the convo, but older books are often cheaper because they become public domain eventually. Dover thrift editions is based on that principle I think.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9680 on: April 23, 2023, 12:57:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Kinda irrelevant to the convo, but older books are often cheaper because they become public domain eventually. Dover thrift editions is based on that principle I think.

Key words “thrift edition”.  Mass market paperbacks are cheaper too.  Penguin classics cost the same as regular books.   What always irritated me was super short books still cost the same as long books

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9681 on: April 23, 2023, 01:03:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
They know nobody has a DVD player anymore. $15+ seems like a lot to me but only because I have hundreds of movies on physical copy I got about that price or lower. (Altho I wouldn't be surprised if I went into an actual store and dvds cost $40 these days)

Tons of people have devices that play DVDs though (Xbox’s, PlayStations, laptops).   

$9 - $15 seems fair to me for a digital copy because ideally it’s a format that will last through whatever the next change will be.    I, too, had 200+ dvds/Blu-ray’s that a lot came with digital copies.   

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 802
« Reply #9682 on: April 23, 2023, 01:29:03 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

$4 IS an exorbitant amount to “rent” a digital copy of an old ass movie.  Should be $4 to buy, $1 (or less) to rent.  It’s probably on Tubi for free anyway, fuck Amazon
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1179
  • old and in the way
« Reply #9683 on: April 23, 2023, 01:42:10 PM »
This youtube channel I like just put up the commentaries for the first two ED movies, thinking about giving them a rewatch, or at least the second one, before seeing the new one

So what's up, who's seen Beau is Afraid? I'm gonna watch it at some point anyway, worth going to the theater for?

Going to a showing of these two later today:

@childhood thank you for posting that YouTube page. It's a treasure and I'm about to cue up Cronenberg's commentary on The Fly.
Also, La Jette is lovely. I had the opportunity to watch it in a theater years ago. It was supposed to be double billed with 12 Monkeys but instead they showed it with Je T'aime Je T'aime by Alain Resnais.

childhood

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9684 on: April 23, 2023, 06:18:42 PM »
Yeah I love that channel, one of the things I miss most about having everything on DVD was listening to the commentaries

And yeah, La Jetee looked amazing & was really interesting.

It's funny you mention The Fly & 12 Monkeys too
I saw The Fly like a couple months ago at the same theater I was at tonight, and next Monday they're showing 12 Monkeys
https://filmadelphia.org/events/12-monkeys/
I know it's loosely based off LA Jetee, but also guessing they're playing it cause it's mostly (totally?) filmed here in Philly
David Morse (the main like evil scientist in the movie) actually lives in the same building as my parents, I run into him in the elevator when I'm visiting sometimes

They're also showing Andrei Rublev next Sunday, definitely going to that

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9685 on: April 23, 2023, 07:00:00 PM »
Andrei Rublev is my fav Tarkovsky.
Epic warning though, gotta have the time/mood for it.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9686 on: April 23, 2023, 07:22:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

$4 IS an exorbitant amount to “rent” a digital copy of an old ass movie.  Should be $4 to buy, $1 (or less) to rent.  It’s probably on Tubi for free anyway, fuck Amazon

$4 I don’t think can ever be considered exorbitant in any real situation.   

thanksgiving

• Rep: 214
« Reply #9687 on: April 23, 2023, 08:00:24 PM »
just got back from beau is afraid-

joaquin is absolutely fantastic  in his role, and the first half of the movie was incredible, but it suffers from playing too hard into eccentrics in the second half. starts to feel like rich people just making a movie they want to make, and not in a good way. bloated, and unfocused. worth watching, but id probably save your $$.

theatre was dead silent when the movie ended, tough to read the room but from the comments i heard outside it didnt seem too positive. i enjoyed it though, and thats as someone who didnt particularly care for midsommar

childhood

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9688 on: April 23, 2023, 08:25:48 PM »
I really liked Hereditary, thought the theatrical cut of Midsommar had some really good parts, but then when I watched the director's cut of it, I started thinking it wasn't actually as good as I originally thought

Will prob just watch Beau... whenever it gets put up on the sketchy illegal streaming site I use, unless one of my friends really wants to go see it. Thanks for the review

Andrei Rublev is my fav Tarkovsky.
Epic warning though, gotta have the time/mood for it.

Of his movies, I've actually only ever seen Stalker and Solaris. I'm gonna see Andrei... like late afternoon Sunday on probably at least a couple xanax, I'll definitely have the time & will most likely be in the mood. Appreciate the heads up though lol

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9689 on: April 24, 2023, 01:30:57 AM »
just got back from beau is afraid-

joaquin is absolutely fantastic  in his role, and the first half of the movie was incredible, but it suffers from playing too hard into eccentrics in the second half. starts to feel like rich people just making a movie they want to make, and not in a good way. bloated, and unfocused. worth watching, but id probably save your $$.

theatre was dead silent when the movie ended, tough to read the room but from the comments i heard outside it didnt seem too positive. i enjoyed it though, and thats as someone who didnt particularly care for midsommar

Worth remembering that Hereditary kinda started that A24 horror trend of stunning reviews and diametrically opposite audience scores.   But bear in mind this is a guy who likes Haneke and I’ve found each of his movies loving to torture his audience (and characters) with increasingly diminishing returns (H I liked, M didn’t care for) and this seems like the apogee of that tendency.    Also, like with Bardo, I’m less inclined to spend three hours on a movie with such polarized views particularly if I think the director is a bit of an overindulgent narcissist (more so Innaritu) in the first place. 

I’m also a little bored with the nebbish New York Jew obsessed with his mom genre.    What makes the Safdie’s interesting is their focus on their father.