Author Topic: The Last Good Movie You Saw?  (Read 945654 times)

BallDontLie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 682
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: The Last Good Movie You Saw?
« Reply #10050 on: July 19, 2023, 12:00:42 PM »
Expand Quote
and Neeson is basically the opposite of what he would later be known for.

[close]

Darkman. He is known for being Darkman.

if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #10051 on: July 19, 2023, 05:27:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Out of Sight on Peacock.
[close]

Speaking of Elmore Leonard, new Justified mini series drops on Hulu at midnight (first two eps)

Kept it Soderbergh and rolled straight into the first couple episodes of Full Circle on MAX.  Was a nice pairing.

Need to give Justified a go.

Carrolls Chesthairs

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
  • HANNIBAL!!
« Reply #10052 on: July 19, 2023, 06:19:58 PM »
Finally watched Climax (2018) by Gaspar Noe and thought it was super dope. The dance sequences were insane and then you just dive into a nightmare

so glad I saw this in theaters
A memorable experience

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1110
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #10053 on: July 19, 2023, 09:47:41 PM »
I thought "Enter the Void" was the best movie I saw the year it came out.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

linty

• Rep: 37
« Reply #10054 on: July 19, 2023, 11:01:06 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

And running through a moonlit backyard.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #10055 on: July 19, 2023, 11:17:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

And having a lot of paparazzi photos drunk and having slightly pissed himself

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 862
« Reply #10056 on: July 20, 2023, 01:14:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

And having a lot of paparazzi photos drunk and having slightly pissed himself
This is what should come to mind whenever thinking of Liam Neeson

(Also plenty of cumtown doing impressions clips on YouTube I won't link)

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #10057 on: July 22, 2023, 03:36:53 AM »
Intense and fucked.  I haven't seen Oppenheimer yet, but I know it doesn't go into the after-effects of the bomb so I guess this would be a good companion piece. 

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 442
« Reply #10058 on: July 22, 2023, 06:28:46 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Thanks for making me watch this, I know most of Raimi’s stuff but this one has slipped through the cracks, what a gem.

lulz

• Rep: 75
« Reply #10059 on: July 22, 2023, 09:13:52 PM »
Sucker Punch (2011)

This was free a minute ago, does anyone know a better link?

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #10060 on: July 22, 2023, 09:24:08 PM »
Sucker Punch (2011)

This was free a minute ago, does anyone know a better link?

Underrated movie with a great soundtrack. The Search and Destroy and Tomorrow Never Knows covers are great.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1411
« Reply #10061 on: July 22, 2023, 11:13:05 PM »
Gotta get Raising Arizona in there…a Vampires Kiss is pretty funny..Matchstick Men. So many.

Raising Arizona easily in my top 3 movies of all time. It's a perfect movie and immediately got my full attention when i first saw it as a kid

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10062 on: July 23, 2023, 01:15:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Gotta get Raising Arizona in there…a Vampires Kiss is pretty funny..Matchstick Men. So many.
[close]

Raising Arizona easily in my top 3 movies of all time. It's a perfect movie and immediately got my full attention when i first saw it as a kid

Weirdly underrated movie.  Feel like it doesn’t get enough love in general or as part of the Coen Bro ouevre.   

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #10063 on: July 23, 2023, 09:11:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Thanks for making me watch this, I know most of Raimi’s stuff but this one has slipped through the cracks, what a gem.

I hope this means that you've also seen Crimewave.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1411
« Reply #10064 on: July 24, 2023, 09:17:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Weirdly underrated movie.  Feel like it doesn’t get enough love in general or as part of the Coen Bro ouevre.

I think i love it so much because the world they create feels so real. It captures the absurdity and humanity of being poor so well

Crailslideyoface

• Rep: 42
« Reply #10065 on: July 24, 2023, 12:24:11 PM »
Asteroid City
I wanna crap in a box just to mail it to you so your bitch ass can smell it

ghost of barry white

• Rep: 6
« Reply #10066 on: July 24, 2023, 06:41:01 PM »
Asteroid city was a snooze fest. And this is coming from someone who LOVES Wes Anderson movies.

Digitalcowboy!

• Rep: 0
« Reply #10067 on: July 24, 2023, 07:12:51 PM »
Asteroid city was a snooze fest. And this is coming from someone who LOVES Wes Anderson movies.

Rushmore , bottle rocket , the Darjeeling limited are my top 3 .wbu ?

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 307
« Reply #10068 on: July 24, 2023, 08:23:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Rushmore , bottle rocket , the Darjeeling limited are my top 3 .wbu ?

Rushmore, Bottle Rocket, Royal Tennenbaums, then it’s all downhill from there.

There’s bits I love in all of them and usually there’s some bit of wonderfully rendered humanity that makes them stick the landing - but I spend large portions of most of them hating the contrived twee-ness and imagining how pleased Anderson is with himself.

The stop motion ones are fine.

It’s just that because the first two have his unique vision and humor but also have some semblance of reality, I find them more engaging.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 736
« Reply #10069 on: July 24, 2023, 11:03:48 PM »
I really like Aki Kaurismaki, but beyond him don't know much about Finnish cinema. This was great though, so they're 2 for 2.

linty

• Rep: 37
« Reply #10070 on: July 24, 2023, 11:33:54 PM »
I really like Aki Kaurismaki, but beyond him don't know much about Finnish cinema. This was great though, so they're 2 for 2.

Juho Kuosmanen is hands down the most promising filmmaker out of Finland in ages. Highly recommend his debut film The Happiest Day in the Life of Olli Mäki.

easymoneysniper

• Rep: 32
« Reply #10071 on: July 24, 2023, 11:42:49 PM »
oppenheimer was pretty remarkable. maintaining engagement through basically 3 hours of dialogue is quite the feat. the acting and cinematography were top notch as well. some parts got a bit confusing but everything was tied together nicely. i'll probably go give it a second watch sometime because i'm sure it'll hit even harder.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10072 on: July 25, 2023, 04:02:43 AM »
Run Lola Run (1998)
Maybe some would say it's just a bunch of gimmicks but it works. I think you could maybe even watch it without reading the subtitles it's a total vibes movie.
It's not really something you can just have on in the background tho you need the sound and to be paying attention but it is def one of the shortest feature length movies. (I think about 70 mins if you take out titles and credits)

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10073 on: July 25, 2023, 04:36:01 AM »
Run Lola Run (1998)
Maybe some would say it's just a bunch of gimmicks but it works. I think you could maybe even watch it without reading the subtitles it's a total vibes movie.
It's not really something you can just have on in the background tho you need the sound and to be paying attention but it is def one of the shortest feature length movies. (I think about 70 mins if you take out titles and credits)

It’s not a gimmick movie to me bc the “gimmick” was plot oriented (iirc) and they were the first one, like Memento.   It wasn’t like Hardcore Harry that did a 1st Person POV movie just for the sake of doing it (and bc people liked the teaser short).   Lola is a hallmark of 90s auteurs trying weird things in an environment that was open to indie people getting weird.  1998/1999 was a good year for filmmaking.   

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10074 on: July 25, 2023, 06:28:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Run Lola Run (1998)
[close]

It’s not a gimmick movie to me bc the “gimmick” was plot oriented (iirc) and they were the first one, like Memento.   It wasn’t like Hardcore Harry that did a 1st Person POV movie just for the sake of doing it (and bc people liked the teaser short).   Lola is a hallmark of 90s auteurs trying weird things in an environment that was open to indie people getting weird.  1998/1999 was a good year for filmmaking.
More than just the time repeating thing there's heaps of little things all thru the movie. Animation, zoomed in slow Mo, different cameras, the little photo montages etc I wouldn't personally call it gimmicks and maybe should of used another word but I've seen people before kinda write the movie off like it's just a bunch of tricks.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10075 on: July 25, 2023, 12:07:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Run Lola Run (1998)
[close]

[close]
More than just the time repeating thing there's heaps of little things all thru the movie. Animation, zoomed in slow Mo, different cameras, the little photo montages etc I wouldn't personally call it gimmicks and maybe should of used another word but I've seen people before kinda write the movie off like it's just a bunch of tricks.

Oh no I agree with you that people would probably write it off in that way, same way people can’t see beyond Tarantino’s referential homages and write him off

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1341
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #10076 on: July 25, 2023, 01:38:32 PM »
Anybody else pony up for The Venture Bros - Radiant is the Blood of the Baboon Heart movie that was released to streaming? I know it will show up on Max soon enough but the last season was a super cliffhanger and for a while it looked like they were gonna just leave it like that so I had to watch it day and date. Most of the loose ends are tied up now and the storyline is at a good stopping/restarting point. This new one is at least on par with All This and Gargantua-2.

I also watched Guardians 3 and loved the Rocket storyline even if I thought the movie was, like most MCU movies recently, a little over the line into corny town. The Rocket stuff is particularly brutal and so in balancing that out they overdo it
a bit. I was psyched to see a surprising amount of pulls from the Mantlo/Mignola mini-series even if there weren't any space clowns.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10077 on: July 25, 2023, 02:27:16 PM »
Anybody else pony up for The Venture Bros - Radiant is the Blood of the Baboon Heart movie that was released to streaming? I know it will show up on Max soon enough but the last season was a super cliffhanger and for a while it looked like they were gonna just leave it like that so I had to watch it day and date. Most of the loose ends are tied up now and the storyline is at a good stopping/restarting point. This new one is at least on par with All This and Gargantua-2.

I also watched Guardians 3 and loved the Rocket storyline even if I thought the movie was, like most MCU movies recently, a little over the line into corny town. The Rocket stuff is particularly brutal and so in balancing that out they overdo it
a bit. I was psyched to see a surprising amount of pulls from the Mantlo/Mignola mini-series even if there weren't any space clowns.

Dude!  I had no idea the Venture Bros had anything else coming out until I saw a one off ad on IG I almost ignored.    Definitely going to spend the money on it to support them because it’s such a good and underrated show.   I just wish streaming and all that kept the episodes in order.   The special eps like Gargantua 2 are wonkily placed last time I checked. 

reverbtank

• Rep: 3
« Reply #10078 on: July 25, 2023, 02:28:05 PM »
Jaws. Local theater played it on the big screen. Was super good.

I'm about to watch Fantastic Mr Fox on Criterion.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10079 on: July 25, 2023, 02:29:45 PM »
So bummed I missed a 70mm Last Action Hero two weekends ago