Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 720487 times)

Basingstoke and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Daydream

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 80
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #5220 on: June 21, 2023, 08:13:17 AM »
Expand Quote
so i don't math a lot but isn't the 101 core gonna make these harder than 90?

also, i really want to see the purple ones, someone show me the purple ones! please!
[close]

Link with stock photo:
https://calsk8.com/collections/wheels/products/spitfire-wheels-sapphires-90du-purple-58mm-wheels

Oh good find.

Nothing about "slide" or anything in Sapphires product description.

To compare "OJ Keyframe, 87a - A harder soft wheel great for cruising, sliding or filming lines as they're a bit faster than some of the softer varieties."

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5221 on: June 21, 2023, 09:41:42 AM »

More than anything a soft wheel needs a harder core to keep the bearings in position, so having anything like 90 duro would definitely benefit from a more normal core.

The colour, or more specifically the see through nature makes them way more interesting to the people who like "shiny things" of which I would see many every day in the usual shop situation, when I was there before covid.  Nothing against those people - it is just one of those things, but having a product like this will usually sell more units to people who are more interested in having a cool looking cruiser wheel, than if they were just a white or natural urethane colour.

Although the cruiser wheel market might have a lot of good wheels, Spitfire only had the regular wheels in look and shape, with their 101, 99, 97 and even in the 80 HD which were a little limited in what you could do with them, but still skated well in many situations.

Something more in the 90 duro range is a lot more versatile, even though some people might not be that keen, but most 90 duro wheels I have tried can still slide if you push them hard enough, but more than anything will not usually slip out, no matter how slippery the ramp is, as well as being good to get over whatever ground from A to B.

I am curious to hear and see more, but as I have seen already, some people are keen, others maybe more reserved, but they are something new, so given the chance, I would be interested to have a roll on some and see what they have come up with this time.

Just wait and see, I guess.

Everything takes longer to get out here to Australia, but at least by then most people have posted their takes on the product from USA which I like to see and read and I don't mind the wait really.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

pops

• Rep: 252
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5222 on: June 21, 2023, 12:20:58 PM »
I skated this new spot with brand new asphalt and found that my CF 99s are quite slippery there. Actually to the point I found it annoying. Would it be worth getting the 97s instead and maybe a wider wheel like Radial Full?

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 343
« Reply #5223 on: June 21, 2023, 12:25:13 PM »
Expand Quote
so i don't math a lot but isn't the 101 core gonna make these harder than 90?

also, i really want to see the purple ones, someone show me the purple ones! please!
[close]

Link with stock photo:
https://calsk8.com/collections/wheels/products/spitfire-wheels-sapphires-90du-purple-58mm-wheels

thanks so much man. i got a new job gonna celebrate by getting a set of these soon!
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

DaleNixon108

• Rep: 0
« Reply #5224 on: June 21, 2023, 01:56:37 PM »
Pals,

I've been wondering why most people recommend spitfire conical fulls for bowl skaters when in fact when I look at transition skaters like Grosso (RIP), Hewitt, Ronnie Sandoval, Jimmy Wilkens, Omar Hasasan (just to name a few) all rock spitfire classics between 55 and 58 mm. Been on CF's forever but those purple classics look soooo good.

BL0B

• Rep: 417

BL0B

« Reply #5226 on: June 21, 2023, 03:28:59 PM »

Jebediah

• Rep: 115
« Reply #5227 on: June 21, 2023, 04:06:49 PM »
they look delicious

skatebruh

• Rep: 31
« Reply #5228 on: June 21, 2023, 04:10:07 PM »
I skated this new spot with brand new asphalt and found that my CF 99s are quite slippery there. Actually to the point I found it annoying. Would it be worth getting the 97s instead and maybe a wider wheel like Radial Full?
Go for 97s if you want more grip.

BL0B

« Reply #5229 on: June 21, 2023, 04:25:23 PM »

that's interesting, looks like the wheel is clear and the core is what colors the wheel.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 953
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #5230 on: June 21, 2023, 04:59:01 PM »

that's interesting, looks like the wheel is clear and the core is what colors the wheel.

Those look killer.

I wish they was F4 tho.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 505
« Reply #5231 on: June 21, 2023, 07:58:10 PM »
Oh shit. Cal Skate is one of my locals. Thanks!

np - if you grab some, i'm curious what you think. i'm around pdx too so i'm curious how they handle/what they are good for

pops

« Reply #5232 on: June 21, 2023, 10:23:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Go for 97s if you want more grip.

Thanks, I copped some 97 RFs.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5233 on: June 21, 2023, 10:41:03 PM »
Pals,

I've been wondering why most people recommend spitfire conical fulls for bowl skaters when in fact when I look at transition skaters like Grosso (RIP), Hewitt, Ronnie Sandoval, Jimmy Wilkens, Omar Hasasan (just to name a few) all rock spitfire classics between 55 and 58 mm. Been on CF's forever but those purple classics look soooo good.
Probably because after they lose 1 - 2mm they start to become a fat conical
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #5234 on: June 22, 2023, 06:37:42 AM »
Pals,

Grosso was a big fan of the Classic Fulls. And considering the current Full trend, it’s bewildering they haven’t put those in production again.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
  • ow
« Reply #5235 on: June 22, 2023, 03:21:33 PM »

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #5236 on: June 22, 2023, 06:51:36 PM »
They are testing some 93 and 95 f4’s. I have an old set of some sample cored f4 wheels that feel like they’re in that range but I don’t remember them sliding well.
Might set em up again.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #5237 on: June 22, 2023, 06:56:02 PM »

Daydream

« Reply #5238 on: June 22, 2023, 07:40:49 PM »
 Niceee. Thanks for sharing, those would be ideal

bombsaway86

• Rep: 164
« Reply #5239 on: June 23, 2023, 11:19:26 AM »

I have no need for a 90a wheel, but they look so cool I’ll probably still buy a set just to try

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #5240 on: June 23, 2023, 11:23:49 AM »
They are testing some 93 and 95 f4’s. I have an old set of some sample cored f4 wheels that feel like they’re in that range but I don’t remember them sliding well.
Might set em up again.

I'm a big Spitfire skater, but the thing about 93a and 95a Spitfire wheels is that we already have the 97a, which is pretty soft but doesn't remotely compare to the Dragons. I think going softer still is barking up the wrong tree, but maybe they will prove me wrong.

I think they're on the right track though with these 90a cruiser wheels which come in a size and shape familiar to street skaters (as opposed to the OJ Mini Juice, which I like but which are huge).
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

pops

« Reply #5241 on: June 23, 2023, 11:35:52 AM »
Soon we'll have over 20 different duros from 78 to 101 like it even matters any more.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #5242 on: June 23, 2023, 11:55:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Might set em up again.
[close]

I'm a big Spitfire skater, but the thing about 93a and 95a Spitfire wheels is that we already have the 97a, which is pretty soft but doesn't remotely compare to the Dragons. I think going softer still is barking up the wrong tree, but maybe they will prove me wrong.

I think they're on the right track though with these 90a cruiser wheels which come in a size and shape familiar to street skaters (as opposed to the OJ Mini Juice, which I like but which are huge).

Yup.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

Daydream

« Reply #5243 on: June 23, 2023, 02:39:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Might set em up again.
[close]

i wonder how close they will be to dragons tho. Or if that’s for the 95 F4 supposedly testing. But what you meant I think is how close these will be to oj key frames, 87a, as a wheel shape that resembles a steeet wheel

I have both key frames and dragons and want to try these

switchfakie

« Reply #5244 on: June 24, 2023, 04:53:25 PM »
yo what the fuck, spitfire doesnt sell any 60 mm (non classic shape) wheels anymore? went on their website and they had nothing

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 505
« Reply #5245 on: June 24, 2023, 04:56:38 PM »
yo what the fuck, spitfire doesnt sell any 60 mm (non classic shape) wheels anymore? went on their website and they had nothing

hm i see conical full and radial full both listed as having 60mm sizes as does the og classics, can't vouch for them being in shops though

edit: last time i saw 60mm og classics actually in a shop they sold out in record time

Samsquantch

• Rep: 60
« Reply #5246 on: June 24, 2023, 05:11:05 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

hm i see conical full and radial full both listed as having 60mm sizes as does the og classics, can't vouch for them being in shops though

edit: last time i saw 60mm og classics actually in a shop they sold out in record time

One set left if you don't mind ordering from Canada.

https://www.sourceboards.com/collections/wheels/products/spitfire-f4-classic-99a-red-wheels-60mm

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #5247 on: June 24, 2023, 05:45:46 PM »
Kaders new wheel comes in a 59

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #5248 on: June 24, 2023, 09:24:08 PM »

So I guess if you were looking only at the current catalog release directly on their site, I can easily understand how you might think the wheel sizes are a bit limited.

https://www.spitfirewheels.com/

If you look at the options for all the wheel shapes and sizes, you might see there are other options that are just not currently in this release catalog, which even then is by no means everything that is released or available.

https://www.spitfirewheels.com/wheel-shapes/

From this and from what I have looked for and found online in shops, there are still Conical Full 60mm in both 99 and 97 duro options, OG Classic wheels in 60 mm 99 duro and what might not be currently available right this minute, but the Radial Full 60 mm wheels.

That is besides the Classic 60 mm which have come out in 99 and 101 duros, or the original urethane 60 mm Classic which is a big squared off wheel, not round at all in shape.

As others had said there is also currently the Kader Radial Full 59 mm and quite a few in 58 mm, which is not far off, but all up I think the interest in wider wheels of more moderate diameters is what is trending, not so much the bigger diameter wheels, so more so the 54 through 56 sizes, than 60 mm sizes.

Thinking about past releases of Spitfire wheels, there never really have been that many options in the more recent past (think last decade or so) anyway in 60 mm size or bigger, mainly the rounder Classics, the thin square OG Classics, then the original formula wider Conical shaped Classics and once there were Big head and Multiball graphics on 59, 61 and 63 mm sizes, but that might even pre date the Formula Four wheel completely, along with the Street burners and Park burners.

I feel like there always have been more options in 60 mm wheel sizes from other brands like Bones / Powell and Santa Cruz / OJ / Slimeballs in particular, but most more diverse wheel brands have a 60 mm wheel here or there in the lineup, in much the same way that most deck brands had a token vert skater in their lineup over the years too.  Not to say that only vert dudes ride 60 mm wheels either, but that is just one observation.

* Not trying to sound like a dick or anything either, just looking at all the options in wheels and there don't seem to have been that many 60 mm over the years anyway.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

switchfakie

« Reply #5249 on: June 25, 2023, 02:48:05 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

So I guess if you were looking only at the current catalog release directly on their site, I can easily understand how you might think the wheel sizes are a bit limited.

https://www.spitfirewheels.com/

If you look at the options for all the wheel shapes and sizes, you might see there are other options that are just not currently in this release catalog, which even then is by no means everything that is released or available.

https://www.spitfirewheels.com/wheel-shapes/

From this and from what I have looked for and found online in shops, there are still Conical Full 60mm in both 99 and 97 duro options, OG Classic wheels in 60 mm 99 duro and what might not be currently available right this minute, but the Radial Full 60 mm wheels.

That is besides the Classic 60 mm which have come out in 99 and 101 duros, or the original urethane 60 mm Classic which is a big squared off wheel, not round at all in shape.

As others had said there is also currently the Kader Radial Full 59 mm and quite a few in 58 mm, which is not far off, but all up I think the interest in wider wheels of more moderate diameters is what is trending, not so much the bigger diameter wheels, so more so the 54 through 56 sizes, than 60 mm sizes.

Thinking about past releases of Spitfire wheels, there never really have been that many options in the more recent past (think last decade or so) anyway in 60 mm size or bigger, mainly the rounder Classics, the thin square OG Classics, then the original formula wider Conical shaped Classics and once there were Big head and Multiball graphics on 59, 61 and 63 mm sizes, but that might even pre date the Formula Four wheel completely, along with the Street burners and Park burners.

I feel like there always have been more options in 60 mm wheel sizes from other brands like Bones / Powell and Santa Cruz / OJ / Slimeballs in particular, but most more diverse wheel brands have a 60 mm wheel here or there in the lineup, in much the same way that most deck brands had a token vert skater in their lineup over the years too.  Not to say that only vert dudes ride 60 mm wheels either, but that is just one observation.

* Not trying to sound like a dick or anything either, just looking at all the options in wheels and there don't seem to have been that many 60 mm over the years anyway.

you dont sound like a dick

i looked at this page

https://www.spitfirewheels.com/formulafour/

which is what came up for me on google when i searched for the formula four wheel catalog - i wanted the f4 catalog specifically. its so stupid to me they have like 3 different catalogs on the same website & that the formula 4 sizes between them are different

this would be my first 60mm wheel, ive been on the 54-56 wave for the past 3/4 years but recently started skating transition a lot which is why i wanna bump it up

i remembered t-funk skating those massive f4 60 classics in a few of his parts a few years ago, so i assumed that theyd still be around given the big wheel fad

like you said, i did notice that wide wheels are becoming more the thing as opposed to bigger diameter wheels. but again, i wanted the bigger diameter for transition so i wouldnt have to pump so hard all the time