Author Topic: Gear madness support thread  (Read 90498 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1047
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Gear madness support thread
« Reply #1590 on: October 11, 2023, 05:18:53 PM »

They want me to send my wheels back to them, so hopefully they figure something out. Cause one bad wheel can ruin an entire setup. The other three worked perfectly. Kinda makes me wish they sold single wheels lol

I had even thought, but not sure if I actually said with the set I had with that issue if there was another single wheel from a set with a similar issue (which I know had happened) I would just take that one wheel in exchange, but that was a little difficult to do but hopefully someone somewhere can recycle any wheels that are ok and make sets from them to pass on to someone to skate.

The others that are not centered correctly can just end up on a display shelf or something.  At least that is where one set with one wheel that split is now.  Mementos of old times.

Glad that they got that going ASAP for you as well.  Sometimes things can take a while, but DLX is amazing with the warranty and customer service.

A lot of people don't know or realise that anything like that is definitely covered under warranty, vs the guy who power slides to stop and complains about flatspots, which is NOT covered.

Any which way, having any product that performs as required is often taken for granted, but it is nice that things do get fixed / replaced if there is a problem.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1120
« Reply #1591 on: October 12, 2023, 10:08:45 AM »
my madness is quite pathetic:

i’ll watch clips of skating that get me hyped, and then want to buy that setup.

the latest would be some wade 2 trick clip, from his story. deck looked nice, 147s (i assume), small wheels. i wonder which shape board he skates.

and i’m back to looking at buying stuff, just like that.

marcusbutler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #1592 on: October 12, 2023, 10:21:25 AM »

the latest would be some wade 2 trick clip, from his story. deck looked nice, 147s (i assume), small wheels. i wonder which shape board he skates.

I saw dave bachinsky skated a 7.5". And daewon skated a small ass board as well. Convinced me to start skating smaller boards. Worst mistake of my life. Set up a thank you 7.6" board with 139 indy's. I could not lock into a krook or feeble for the life of me with those small ass trucks lol.
We rode 7.5's" and didn't complain.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1120
« Reply #1593 on: October 12, 2023, 01:00:06 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I saw dave bachinsky skated a 7.5". And daewon skated a small ass board as well. Convinced me to start skating smaller boards. Worst mistake of my life. Set up a thank you 7.6" board with 139 indy's. I could not lock into a krook or feeble for the life of me with those small ass trucks lol.

ha.
i’m so guilty.

that being said, i cannot feeble or k-grind. but. the most successful i’ve been landing flip tricks has come off of setups that are just under 8, with 8 trucks.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 52
« Reply #1594 on: October 12, 2023, 02:45:17 PM »
Had a good session today after changing my wheels, can’t believe I was about to toss out my 159 hollows cause some faulty wheels. No more locking up. Just hope the new ones don’t have the same issues.

logjammin

• Rep: 350
« Reply #1595 on: October 12, 2023, 04:13:28 PM »

I've done this so many times. I know for a fact wider trucks and bigger wheels are what suits my skating but I'll see clips of Stranger riding Ace 44's and like 52mm wheels, no risers, 8.2-8.3 deck I'm assuming and I'll be like...that's what I need, lower the ride man. Nope, every crack and pebble rattles my brain. Turn still bites sooner than I want...etc. But seeing Boserio running huge wheels on some Ace 44's kinda started the big wheel journey for me and that part stuck.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 276
« Reply #1596 on: October 12, 2023, 06:01:13 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I've done this so many times. I know for a fact wider trucks and bigger wheels are what suits my skating but I'll see clips of Stranger riding Ace 44's and like 52mm wheels, no risers, 8.2-8.3 deck I'm assuming and I'll be like...that's what I need, lower the ride man. Nope, every crack and pebble rattles my brain. Turn still bites sooner than I want...etc. But seeing Boserio running huge wheels on some Ace 44's kinda started the big wheel journey for me and that part stuck.

Yeah, boserio got me hooked on riding wheels bigger than 54mm

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 480
« Reply #1597 on: October 13, 2023, 02:41:22 AM »
Had a good session today after changing my wheels, can’t believe I was about to toss out my 159 hollows cause some faulty wheels. No more locking up. Just hope the new ones don’t have the same issues.

With all due respect, at least 95% of the gear you've bought to skate that I've seen you post is quality and nearly every skater on here would enjoy skating those parts. Even the ones you've called out recently as "faulty" which likely weren't faulty, evident of MBrimmo's suggested solution(s).
Especially since much of it is so new.

Some of your concerns may be artificially placed on the gear since your skill level is still catching up to your stoke level on skateboarding and the gear. Not that you need to be reminded, but ride your gear more and enjoy the parts, my man!
Sometimes you gotta massage your set up's parts with your skate tools wgwn they're new and power through the "break-in" period. Usually, if ya let it break in you won't see almost any of these issues I've noticed you call out on here.

Forgive me, if this feels too direct of an attack. I wanna help you and anyone out there to fight the madness if they're willing. And, save money since gear is considerably more expensive than 2 years ago and before.

I suffer from buying too many shoes that I like, so I'm guilty of scratching that itch via spending $ on shoes instead of actually skating more often. 🙃 My sentiment is also self-applicable
Super Champion Fun Zone

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1598 on: October 13, 2023, 08:45:29 AM »
Do y’all think it matters when one wheel is slower than the other? Sure it’s just a bearing, but shouldn’t the other wheels make up for it?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1599 on: October 13, 2023, 09:50:35 AM »
Not unless it is significantly slower/locking up. Do you think all 4 wheels on a car have the same drag coefficient?

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1047
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1600 on: October 13, 2023, 04:07:30 PM »
Do y’all think it matters when one wheel is slower than the other? Sure it’s just a bearing, but shouldn’t the other wheels make up for it?

I always put the smallest wheel on the front heel, as well as the slowest spinning bearings.

Given some people skate a board both ways a lot more than me which could change things, but that is the easiest way I get around any bearing wearing issues, which usually means that wheel and bearing get the least wear and has the least amount of pressure on it, less weight, etc.  Sure I do pop shovits and similar things, but for the most part, that front heel position stays the same for the majority of my skating.

Sometimes I have also put the more crusty bearings or any that make more noise on the front wheels, with the better bearings on the back, or if they are about half and half, sometimes even the not so good ones paired with a good one so every wheel feels about the same.

Of course some people just leave that whole set or what is left of it in the spares box, as I did with six Bones Swiss Ceramic bearings, after someone lost a wheel and two bearings, but they are a different story and I didn't want to mix and match those with anything else.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

MyUserName

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 178
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1601 on: October 14, 2023, 07:14:36 AM »
I admittedly haven’t read all 54 pages of this thread, but I’m curious if anyone else has my obsessive tendency of ultra clean grip? When I apply a new sheet it has to be perfect, and I use grip gum at least every other session. I hate that I’m this way. I know after using a deck for a while, grip will eventually get dinged and torn but it instantly annoys me when it happens.

No other part of my board bothers me when it’s impacted by use. Just grip. Annoying.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 704
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #1602 on: October 14, 2023, 07:25:01 AM »
I admittedly haven’t read all 54 pages of this thread, but I’m curious if anyone else has my obsessive tendency of ultra clean grip? When I apply a new sheet it has to be perfect, and I use grip gum at least every other session. I hate that I’m this way. I know after using a deck for a while, grip will eventually get dinged and torn but it instantly annoys me when it happens.

No other part of my board bothers me when it’s impacted by use. Just grip. Annoying.

We have a few DIY & parking garages spots* here that are INSANELY dusty. Like, your grip tape comes out brown, and you need to clean your bearings after a few long sessions (all of which really makes think me/others should wear some kind of respiratory mask while skating there). After skating those places, or others like it, I absolutely use grip gum.

*My b/s disaster in my sig file is at one of those garages.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

“Skateboarding is truly amazing. Wearing a helmet while hitting a handrail can kook you for life, but being an antisocial weirdo with mystique can earn you a pass.” -Some guy on SLAP

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1591
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1603 on: October 14, 2023, 07:36:48 AM »
I commend anyone dedicated to the passion of perfect grip....it's an uphill battle.  The grip gum in your car or at the door is a good idea.  Also re-gripping can be cleansing.....

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 27
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #1604 on: October 14, 2023, 08:35:48 AM »

And now in autumn there is no way grip stats without leaves
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 316
« Reply #1605 on: October 14, 2023, 08:41:06 AM »
I get too sweaty when I skate so it drips onto my grip. First few sessions I get upset but by the end of my decks life it is covered in light brown sweat drops.

manysnakes

« Reply #1606 on: October 14, 2023, 09:53:22 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

We have a few DIY & parking garages spots* here that are INSANELY dusty. Like, your grip tape comes out brown, and you need to clean your bearings after a few long sessions (all of which really makes think me/others should wear some kind of respiratory mask while skating there). After skating those places, or others like it, I absolutely use grip gum.

*My b/s disaster in my sig file is at one of those garages.

Yeah there’s a nasty garage where everyone here skates and it’s actually kind of crazy that we all go exercise five floors below ground in a pit of automobile exhaust and bum piss/shit. Fortunately I’ve got a secret curb near to the water which is well above ground and is wide open to the breeze.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1607 on: October 14, 2023, 10:41:59 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I always put the smallest wheel on the front heel, as well as the slowest spinning bearings.

Given some people skate a board both ways a lot more than me which could change things, but that is the easiest way I get around any bearing wearing issues, which usually means that wheel and bearing get the least wear and has the least amount of pressure on it, less weight, etc.  Sure I do pop shovits and similar things, but for the most part, that front heel position stays the same for the majority of my skating.

Sometimes I have also put the more crusty bearings or any that make more noise on the front wheels, with the better bearings on the back, or if they are about half and half, sometimes even the not so good ones paired with a good one so every wheel feels about the same.

Of course some people just leave that whole set or what is left of it in the spares box, as I did with six Bones Swiss Ceramic bearings, after someone lost a wheel and two bearings, but they are a different story and I didn't want to mix and match those with anything else.
Sadly I'm one of those people who skate my board both ways. Even when I'm not riding a twintail, I use the nose as a tail when riding switch. I just paired the bad bearings with good ones. Even time the wheels, the "slow" one is only like 3 seconds slower so I doubt it makes a difference.

-------------

I'm weird about griptape. I have ten gently used decks with grip on them. These are decks I skated for a week or so. Nothing's wrong with them. I plan on riding a few this winter. But I have the urge to regrip them even though they're fine?

I switched to Pepper two setups ago.

Most of the decks have Mob/Jessup. Mob I don't mind so much, but I'm afraid Jessup will lead to an injury since I'm used to a grippier deck now.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1608 on: October 21, 2023, 05:43:21 AM »
So I got some 97a Spitfires and lost my No Comply Shuvs for a minute. I was confused at first, then realized that the harder wheels helped me scoop them more (broke traction easier). I eventually adjusted.

It’s funny how something so minor can make a difference. They also made my setup sound a little dead.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 704
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #1609 on: October 21, 2023, 07:38:42 PM »
They also made my setup sound a little dead.

Yup. Hate that sound.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

“Skateboarding is truly amazing. Wearing a helmet while hitting a handrail can kook you for life, but being an antisocial weirdo with mystique can earn you a pass.” -Some guy on SLAP

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1610 on: October 21, 2023, 08:24:47 PM »
I'll be damned if I've ever noticed a setup issue with 180 no comply. I literally did one on an Enjoi kids board with foam grip today I have madness but that's a new level of ridiculousness and needing to simply practice technique

rikki

• Rep: 310
« Reply #1611 on: October 22, 2023, 01:13:34 AM »
So I got some 97a Spitfires and lost my No Comply Shuvs for a minute. I was confused at first, then realized that the harder wheels helped me scoop them more (broke traction easier). I eventually adjusted.

It’s funny how something so minor can make a difference. They also made my setup sound a little dead.

Came in to say that no comply front shuv is probably one of my favorite tricks ever.

Nymphicus hollandicus

• Rep: 22
« Reply #1612 on: October 22, 2023, 04:49:08 AM »
Ok this is a madness related situation that I could do with some advice on. It is a fairly long and rambling rant/description so bear with me!

After trying out many different shapes, sizes and wheelbases over the years the deck that I like the most (Jart/HLC Classic 7.6” wide, 31.6” long, 14.2” wheelbase with low concave) isn’t currently available in the UK. (There are still some complete skateboards available with the same sized deck but after buying one and regripping it, I’m convinced they use less well finished decks for those in comparison to their individually sold decks). I’ve emailed HLC to ask them directly about supply of the individual decks to which they’ve replied they have none in stock and it doesn’t look like they are planning on making any for next year either. They have a Sk8mafia 7.6” option but it is too short at 31.04”.

I’ve recently set up a 7.5” and thought I would love it but in actuality it was just too narrow. 7.75” seems just a touch too wide, 7.6” is perfect for me and I feel like I have progressed much more since staying on this one size this year. As it stands, I have one very well used 7.6” currently set up and one slightly used spare deck on ice that I sourced from eBay, after that, no more.

So the way I see it is I have three options:
1: Try and buy up a few remaining exact replacement decks from mainland Europe and import them at a cost. My concerns with this is that the supply will eventually run out, then what? Part of my madness is hating the thought of using something that isn’t replaceable or is that becoming obsolete!

2: Deal with it, move on and reignite the madness by trying out new deck size/brands and dimensions again. The madness is real, I’m guilty of speeding far too much time wondering about other options as it is. I’m mildly annoyed that I would be changing something that I didn’t want to though and I’ve not wanted to stray since finding this size/shape.

3: Try and recreate the same deck dimensions by trimming down and reshaping a larger deck, say for example a high concave 8” with the same length and wheelbase. Surely with the sides trimmed-down that would make a medium/low concave 7.6”? Also, I’ve never attempted something like this, on paper it could work well but it would need practice.

Retaining the specific 31.6” length seems to be the biggest sticking point with replacing my 7.6”. Most of the current options (of which there are not many) from other brands seem to be around 31” - 31.2” in length these days. I’m not keen on 14” or below wheelbases either, 14.125” - 14.25” is my ideal wheelbase.

Any suggestions? How do you deal with the diminishing stock of a board you love and want to replace?
Thanks!

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 633
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #1613 on: October 22, 2023, 01:22:30 PM »
Ok this is a madness related situation that I could do with some advice on. It is a fairly long and rambling rant/description so bear with me!

After trying out many different shapes, sizes and wheelbases over the years the deck that I like the most (Jart/HLC Classic 7.6” wide, 31.6” long, 14.2” wheelbase with low concave) isn’t currently available in the UK. (There are still some complete skateboards available with the same sized deck but after buying one and regripping it, I’m convinced they use less well finished decks for those in comparison to their individually sold decks). I’ve emailed HLC to ask them directly about supply of the individual decks to which they’ve replied they have none in stock and it doesn’t look like they are planning on making any for next year either. They have a Sk8mafia 7.6” option but it is too short at 31.04”.

I’ve recently set up a 7.5” and thought I would love it but in actuality it was just too narrow. 7.75” seems just a touch too wide, 7.6” is perfect for me and I feel like I have progressed much more since staying on this one size this year. As it stands, I have one very well used 7.6” currently set up and one slightly used spare deck on ice that I sourced from eBay, after that, no more.

1: Try and buy up a few remaining exact replacement decks from mainland Europe and import them at a cost. My concerns with this is that the supply will eventually run out, then what? Part of my madness is hating the thought of using something that isn’t replaceable or is that becoming obsolete!

2: Deal with it, move on and reignite the madness by trying out new deck size/brands and dimensions again. The madness is real, I’m guilty of speeding far too much time wondering about other options as it is. I’m mildly annoyed that I would be changing something that I didn’t want to though and I’ve not wanted to stray since finding this size/shape.

3: Try and recreate the same deck dimensions by trimming down and reshaping a larger deck, say for example a high concave 8” with the same length and wheelbase. Surely with the sides trimmed-down that would make a medium/low concave 7.6”? Also, I’ve never attempted something like this, on paper it could work well but it would need practice.

Retaining the specific 31.6” length seems to be the biggest sticking point with replacing my 7.6”. Most of the current options (of which there are not many) from other brands seem to be around 31” - 31.2” in length these days. I’m not keen on 14” or below wheelbases either, 14.125” - 14.25” is my ideal wheelbase.

Any suggestions? How do you deal with the diminishing stock of a board you love and want to replace?
Thanks!

Oh man, it's never easy to change. But your case is kinda rare, haven't seen any 7.6 decks in ~15 years.
But if I were you, I would try to find a 8" deck with 31.6 length and a 14.25 wheelbase. I am sure, there are some.
I think DLX decks with that true fit mold could work for you. Best of luck and stay positive.
IG: @flowterspace

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1614 on: October 22, 2023, 02:56:47 PM »
Lighter Indy Mids is a perfect way to describe the pop but the turn is something else. They've got a pretty unique geometry. FWIW one of my good friends that has been on Indy for 15 years tried them and found them too squirrely unless he had like 3-4 threads showing. Supposedly Griffin Gass runs Ace hards in his but could be BS.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1615 on: October 23, 2023, 01:13:53 PM »
Thought I was gonna go with this LBC Skate Shop deck, but it sounds like the wood is splintering when I stand on it. Bought it last year, but feel like it was made during COVID in 2020.

So I might setup a new deck. I know it’s silly, but out of the dozen decks I’ve skated over the last year none of them have sounded like they were about to break under my weight lol. I’m a bigger skater, but not that big 😂

This is my first shop deck. Not sure what woodshop they used. The deck also seems a little thicker than my pro ones.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2023, 01:31:03 PM by OhioGuy »

Nymphicus hollandicus

• Rep: 22
« Reply #1616 on: October 23, 2023, 02:13:46 PM »
Expand Quote

Thanks!
[close]

Oh man, it's never easy to change. But your case is kinda rare, haven't seen any 7.6 decks in ~15 years.
But if I were you, I would try to find a 8" deck with 31.6 length and a 14.25 wheelbase. I am sure, there are some.
I think DLX decks with that true fit mold could work for you. Best of luck and stay positive.

Thank you for your reply fs1/2cab and nice one for the recommendation, I’m not actually that familiar with a lot of DLX decks so I will definitely do some further research into them and their true fit moulds as they sound interesting.
P.S. I did get quite carried away with my last post offloading there, I just felt like getting it out of my system and this seems like the place to do it!

Shape wise I’m also now looking at a Polar 7.875” as apart from the width they have fairly similar dimensions and are both easily found and often on sale where I am. Also, another reason to try one is that it could be my first BBS made board.

Cheers again :)

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1617 on: October 23, 2023, 03:21:32 PM »
Thought I was gonna go with this LBC Skate Shop deck, but it sounds like the wood is splintering when I stand on it. Bought it last year, but feel like it was made during COVID in 2020.

So I might setup a new deck. I know it’s silly, but out of the dozen decks I’ve skated over the last year none of them have sounded like they were about to break under my weight lol. I’m a bigger skater, but not that big 😂

This is my first shop deck. Not sure what woodshop they used. The deck also seems a little thicker than my pro ones.

If you're 245 as you previously said that is 100lbs heavier or 160% of the average skater. My friend that is a built 200 breaks decks with high frequency even. Back in the day when I was around 195 when I quit skating I was snapping shit constantly.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1618 on: October 23, 2023, 04:04:17 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

If you're 245 as you previously said that is 100lbs heavier or 160% of the average skater. My friend that is a built 200 breaks decks with high frequency even. Back in the day when I was around 195 when I quit skating I was snapping shit constantly.
It's funny cause I've never snapped a deck. But it's probably cause I only skate flat and ollie infrequently due to my bad knee. Just no complies, cruising, and wheelies. I switched to one of my Girl decks and it's sturdy. No creaking sounds.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1619 on: October 23, 2023, 04:45:27 PM »
A creaking sound would simply drive me insane.

I had an April last year that was probably a bit old (Guy's first graphic) and it delammed sorta quickly. You could hear the deck creak and I kept riding it simply because it somehow worked and never snapped. It was really annoying and I mostly stuck with it because it performed well but if you're not popping much then I wouldn't put up with it.

The Chinese made decks sound great for bigger people. The epoxy is super stiff and they seem to last forever even for those that really skate hard.