Author Topic: The HD 4:3 thread  (Read 71423 times)

Jordan Wiens

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 49
  • @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
Re: The HD 4:3 thread
« Reply #150 on: March 22, 2020, 07:55:13 PM »
I've tried the Opteka Eazyhandle ripoff (same as the one above) as well as a smallrig cage and handle and nothing comes close to the Eazyhandle V2. They pop up on eBay every now and then.
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

anon

• Rep: 54
« Reply #151 on: March 22, 2020, 10:29:59 PM »

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #152 on: March 22, 2020, 10:35:28 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
how's $3.50 sound?

it cost $340 new. didn't remember it being that much. i have one but don't really want to sell it
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

trickbusterstv

• Rep: -3
« Reply #153 on: March 24, 2020, 06:12:26 PM »

SonictheHedgehog

• Rep: -14
« Reply #154 on: March 25, 2020, 05:40:20 AM »
Expand Quote
For all your mirrorless shooters, have you been able to find any handle even remotely as good as the Eazy Handle?
[close]
just get a cage with a handle for your specific camera. good brands are tilta, wooden camera, 8sinn, and if you're on a budget, SmallRig. what camera do you own? i can post some links.

Right now I'm using a GH4 with SmallRig cage and handle. It's alright - just feel like it could be improved. Probably will add counterweights to hopefully make it a bit steadier.

wash uffize drive me to firenze

Jordan Wiens

• @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #155 on: March 25, 2020, 08:50:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
For all your mirrorless shooters, have you been able to find any handle even remotely as good as the Eazy Handle?
[close]
just get a cage with a handle for your specific camera. good brands are tilta, wooden camera, 8sinn, and if you're on a budget, SmallRig. what camera do you own? i can post some links.
[close]

Right now I'm using a GH4 with SmallRig cage and handle. It's alright - just feel like it could be improved. Probably will add counterweights to hopefully make it a bit steadier.

or flip the handle around to face the other way. might have to buy a cold shoe for that side of the handle if you want to put a light there. your mic would be perfect in the angled on on the right side.
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

rupertspupkin

• Rep: 11
« Reply #156 on: March 26, 2020, 03:06:04 AM »
Sorry if this has been mentioned already, but I am tired. Anyone got any guesses as to what James Cruickshank uses for long lens

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 293
« Reply #157 on: March 26, 2020, 08:49:48 AM »
Not sure about James Cruickshank but I asked Brian Panebianco what he used for long lens to shoot Thoro withand he told me "The same  Canon L series lens everyone uses".Might help might not

Jordan Wiens

• @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #158 on: March 26, 2020, 08:56:16 AM »
Sorry if this has been mentioned already, but I am tired. Anyone got any guesses as to what James Cruickshank uses for long lens
he uses either a Panasonic HMC150 or HPX170. They're basically the same camera. save even more money and find a HVX200a but suffer the weight and bad low-light footage. HMC150 is the lightest and uses the cheapest media (SD cards) but the HPX has a better codec (can stand to colour grading and is "broadcast ready") if that matters to you. Both will look exactly the same once uploaded to YouTube.

The reason most people use those is obviously for the zoom, but a very common reason for the dslr setup combo is that sometimes it's cheaper to buy a whole dslr setup just for fisheye than it is to buy an xtreme fisheye for your panasonic.

if you already have a sony mirrorless, the PZ 18-105mm F4 lens has somewhat of a zoom rocker on it and is used by Chris Mulhern and a lot of other sony shooters.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 08:58:12 AM by Jordan Wiens »
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

anon

« Reply #159 on: March 27, 2020, 03:50:36 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
he uses either a Panasonic HMC150 or HPX170. They're basically the same camera. save even more money and find a HVX200a but suffer the weight and bad low-light footage. HMC150 is the lightest and uses the cheapest media (SD cards) but the HPX has a better codec (can stand to colour grading and is "broadcast ready") if that matters to you. Both will look exactly the same once uploaded to YouTube.

The reason most people use those is obviously for the zoom, but a very common reason for the dslr setup combo is that sometimes it's cheaper to buy a whole dslr setup just for fisheye than it is to buy an xtreme fisheye for your panasonic.

if you already have a sony mirrorless, the PZ 18-105mm F4 lens has somewhat of a zoom rocker on it and is used by Chris Mulhern and a lot of other sony shooters.
source of this information? i asked him on instagram and he never responded

Jordan Wiens

• @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #160 on: March 27, 2020, 09:58:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
source of this information? i asked him on instagram and he never responded
[close]
seeing it in footage and photos of him (im pretty sure) and its just the most reasonable option. its a kit lens option that comes with the FS5 (which is what he shoots with). Only other options for constant aperture sony zooms with servos are $2500 and $3700.
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

pbj

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
« Reply #161 on: April 09, 2020, 02:44:32 PM »

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 140
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #162 on: April 09, 2020, 07:56:37 PM »
Here's a small edit of footage I filmed in the last year

bruh this is way off topic but how did you first hear this Dennis Mpale track? Thats a deeeeep cut. Me and some friends heard it at a club a few years ago (the guy that runs Awesome Tapes from Africa played it) and I had to buy the CD from overseas and shit at great expense. I just can't believe I'm hearing it in a skate video.

Burton Ernie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
    • Black Mesa avatar image
« Reply #163 on: April 10, 2020, 06:26:01 AM »
Managed to get my latest vid up on YouTube without any blocks for music copyright. Some good tunes in there. All HD 4:3, shot with Canon XA20, Century Mk. I, and Rode VideoMic Pro. Thanks for checking it out.

spicearoni

• Rep: 0
  • @nicfromkenora
« Reply #164 on: April 29, 2020, 10:11:11 PM »
My first crack at some HD 4:3 mixing a Canon XA30 long lens, with a GH5 sporting a shitty opteka 6.5mm fisheye with a sawed off lens hood😂(got the 8-15 on the way don't worry)

This forum has been super helpful in helping me decide what cams I wanna have in the bag! Vx will always be in my heart but it was time to move on.
Although I'm not a fan of filming skating with a 180 degree shutter angle.. the GH5 clips look sorta wonky to me a I think that's the problem in this edit.

Burton Ernie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #165 on: April 30, 2020, 05:50:53 AM »
My first crack at some HD 4:3 mixing a Canon XA30 long lens, with a GH5 sporting a shitty opteka 6.5mm fisheye with a sawed off lens hood😂(got the 8-15 on the way don't worry)

Footage looks pretty good to me.

But why not use the XA30 with a fisheye, as it's made to be a run-and-gun camera, has a handle already, designed specifically for video, etc?

spicearoni

• @nicfromkenora
« Reply #166 on: April 30, 2020, 06:41:46 AM »
Thanks man! I was going to go that route but I was just able to find a used Canon 8-15mm for a bit less than what I could get an mk1/mk2 for. I mainly wanted a B camera with a decent zoom rocker and 1080 60p. Pretty stoked on the results for a first time out!

Burton Ernie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #167 on: April 30, 2020, 07:17:52 AM »
Thanks man! I was going to go that route but I was just able to find a used Canon 8-15mm for a bit less than what I could get an mk1/mk2 for. I mainly wanted a B camera with a decent zoom rocker and 1080 60p. Pretty stoked on the results for a first time out!

I've never used one, but have you seen the 58mm thread-mount 3CCD .3x lens that VX1000Market sells? that thing is only $350 and looks to be semi-decent. But again, never used one nor seen much footage from it, so maybe it's junk?

spicearoni

• @nicfromkenora
« Reply #168 on: April 30, 2020, 08:04:10 AM »
Totally considered it!! Might give it a shot when I come into some extra cash cause why not?

They are very interesting

$350 American surprisingly surpassed what I got the used 8-15mm otherwise I would have got probably got that.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 08:05:47 AM by spicearoni »

spicearoni

• @nicfromkenora
« Reply #169 on: May 10, 2020, 11:53:05 AM »

I ordered this super cheap one called the NICEYRIG. I thought it was going to be trash but the build quality exceeded my expectations big time. It fits in my gh5 hotshoe really snug it definitely isn't going anywhere.

https://www.amazon.com/NICEYRIG-Cheese-Handle-Applicable-Compatible/dp/B0748BMCH1/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=Niceyrig&qid=1589136658&sr=8-6

I need to get a mic but I like that it has multiple coldshoes on it so you can attach a mic and a light!

Another 4:3 HD test:

Utopos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -23
  • Who Cares
« Reply #170 on: May 11, 2020, 10:56:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I have that cage but I found a rubber gripped handle that you can slide from left to right. Really helps with the balance.

fickdiepolizei666

• Rep: -7
« Reply #171 on: June 22, 2020, 12:08:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Does anyone have a vig overlay and the time to send it to me? Would be really awesome and i'd be super grateful!
[close]

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4tpbjr67r86gksc/VXVIG.psd?dl=0

It is a PSD so if you want to resize/position the file in Photoshop you can. Just make sure you are covering up any vignetting from your previous lens (even the blue fuzzy bits around it) so it looks clean.
[close]

Yo thank you and tzhangdox so much!

Here's a small edit of footage I filmed in the last year

yo oskar was ist dein set-up?
detmold represent !!

suckmadeck

« Reply #172 on: June 22, 2020, 11:00:52 PM »
I love the idea of 4:3 HD footage. The examples you list are great! That VX4000 video was so sick, I remember watching that in college when it dropped.

Just to stick my nose in:

I feel like when people compare other cameras audio to the VX, I feel like people forget that the VX has a stereo microphone, so when people by a shotgun microphone like the Rode Video Mic you're getting a very narrow direction of sound, instead of capturing stereo to the left and right channels. Small thing but I feel it makes the difference. Another thing as well is that the VX AGC always peaks skate sounds, such as pops and lands, everything else is well controlled. If you have manual controls of both Channel 1 and Channel 2 audio, you could set your audio levels just so and play around with the sound in the edit to match the AGC the VX1000 has. Obviously it won't be that close but it's worth experimenting with to try and match the AGC because I feel like that's where some of the quality comes into play. You ever here VX audio with MANUAL audio levels? Sounds like shite!

The VXMic is a cool idea, but it seems that the in built audio converters or whatever in your camera still add something that takes away from that VX quality we're looking for. Some people got it sounding pretty good! But there are wayyyy too many people who bought that and have no fucking idea how to use it. Also, it's £300! I bought a fully functioning VX1000e with accessories for £320! One day someone will make a plug in for Premiere Pro or something where it adjusts the sound with EQ and whatever to match it pretty close, and it probably wouldn't be that hard to make a plugin like that, but till then I'm open minded to see what people come up with!

anon

« Reply #173 on: June 23, 2020, 02:00:22 AM »
One day someone will make a plug in for Premiere Pro or something where it adjusts the sound with EQ and whatever to match it pretty close, and it probably wouldn't be that hard to make a plugin like that, but till then I'm open minded to see what people come up with!
somebody said they'd look into this in another thread

It sounds like the VX boosts mid frequencies, whereas the GH5 is pretty flat. I'd almost guarantee that the VX boosts frequencies that Sony decided were in the 'voice' spectrum.

If you wanna send me the audio files of each I reckon I could figure out exactly what's going on. And I'd be willing to bet that a plugin could mimic the VX really, really well. Audio plugins have come a long way; they can mimic the sound of various machines and rooms at Abbey Road, so I'm sure we could crack the secret of why a VX sounds so good.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 521
« Reply #174 on: June 23, 2020, 02:13:32 AM »
I love the idea of 4:3 HD footage. The examples you list are great! That VX4000 video was so sick, I remember watching that in college when it dropped.

I feel like when people compare other cameras audio to the VX, I feel like people forget that the VX has a stereo microphone, so when people by a shotgun microphone like the Rode Video Mic you're getting a very narrow direction of sound, instead of capturing stereo to the left and right channels. Small thing but I feel it makes the difference. Another thing as well is that the VX AGC always peaks skate sounds, such as pops and lands, everything else is well controlled. If you have manual controls of both Channel 1 and Channel 2 audio, you could set your audio levels just so and play around with the sound in the edit to match the AGC the VX1000 has. Obviously it won't be that close but it's worth experimenting with to try and match the AGC because I feel like that's where some of the quality comes into play. You ever here VX audio with MANUAL audio levels? Sounds like shite!

The VXMic is a cool idea, but it seems that the in built audio converters or whatever in your camera still add something that takes away from that VX quality we're looking for. Some people got it sounding pretty good! But there are wayyyy too many people who bought that and have no fucking idea how to use it. Also, it's £300! I bought a fully functioning VX1000e with accessories for £320! One day someone will make a plug in for Premiere Pro or something where it adjusts the sound with EQ and whatever to match it pretty close, and it probably wouldn't be that hard to make a plugin like that, but till then I'm open minded to see what people come up with!

I don't film anymore but you kinda put into words what I've always kinda felt about vx audio. Its really not that good of a mic but for whatever reason just sounds so right for skate audio. Messing around with manual audio levels, and maybe even making a custom EQ preset could definitely go a long way though nothing will get you all the way there except the real deal.

suckmadeck

« Reply #175 on: June 23, 2020, 07:56:12 AM »
Expand Quote
One day someone will make a plug in for Premiere Pro or something where it adjusts the sound with EQ and whatever to match it pretty close, and it probably wouldn't be that hard to make a plugin like that, but till then I'm open minded to see what people come up with!
[close]
somebody said they'd look into this in another thread

Expand Quote
It sounds like the VX boosts mid frequencies, whereas the GH5 is pretty flat. I'd almost guarantee that the VX boosts frequencies that Sony decided were in the 'voice' spectrum.

If you wanna send me the audio files of each I reckon I could figure out exactly what's going on. And I'd be willing to bet that a plugin could mimic the VX really, really well. Audio plugins have come a long way; they can mimic the sound of various machines and rooms at Abbey Road, so I'm sure we could crack the secret of why a VX sounds so good.
[close]

That seems about right. All they'd need to do is make it an effectt/preset you can just download and throw onto all your audio and I think people would be happy. Could even make a VX preset, it changes the aspect ratio to 4:3, changes the audio, and adds some kinda colour grade to the image.

suckmadeck

« Reply #176 on: June 23, 2020, 08:03:31 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I don't film anymore but you kinda put into words what I've always kinda felt about vx audio. Its really not that good of a mic but for whatever reason just sounds so right for skate audio. Messing around with manual audio levels, and maybe even making a custom EQ preset could definitely go a long way though nothing will get you all the way there except the real deal.

I mean from the footage I've shot on a VX, it's constantly trying to make things loud until they get loud. I think with some audio mixing you can match pretty easily how the VX handles volume. I shoot on Panasonics mainly and you have to manually adjust audio for channel 1 and channel 2. If cameras can do that, then you can have Channel 1 for pops and lands, and Channel 2 for everything else, and just mix between the 2 and you'll get a pretty close match. Obviously this is still gonna sound like whatever camera you are shooting, but maybe for a VXMic. All of that with some EQ in the edit and you maybe getting even closer.

arewedeadyet

• Rep: 42
    • Video*Days avatar image
« Reply #177 on: June 23, 2020, 08:08:46 AM »
Expand Quote
the new stussy clip is apparently ment to be 4:3. so look out for that  ;)
[close]

as promised!

Obviously filmed 4:3 in HD, and the footage is really grainy which is sick, but sort of a waste as it's uploaded at an SD resolution and an SD bitrate -- sorta digitally washed out cause of that. Bummer to have such a nice piece of work chopped up by web encoding. Would be sick to see a proper encode of this.

Most of this was actually filmed using the SD option on the HPX, so I wouldn't blame it entirely on web encoding.

One Big Cannon

« Reply #178 on: August 07, 2020, 12:43:46 PM »
Hey everyone, first post. Long time lurker, especially of this thread.

I'm just trying to fuck around with my friends and make some videos that doesn't look like dick without breaking the bank and I have a setup that cost around $1000-1200 that I'm slightly stoked on that I haven't heard really too many people talk about.

Video attached I'm using
5d Mark III (I've seen these go for like $700-1200 depending on condition)
Shaved Tokina 10-17 (Around $250 can find them $200 sometimes)
Some led light

Settings:
in camera 1280x720 60fps
render 960x720 30fps
Shutter speed 1/250 or 1/320 cant remember (1/250-1/500 is the best imo)

The Tokina came shaved, but have a photo buddy who shaved his himself and it was actually not too bad. I plan on upgrading to a Canon 8-15 within the next month but this is probably the best alternative for the price and gets decently close to the MK1 look. Late down the road hopefully this year, the end goal is get a 5d mark IV and shoot this same setup just in 4k, should look the same or very close to same as kevperez footage to be totally honest.

This look could also be achieved with a 6D instead of a 5D Mark III and save yourself a couple bucks.

Please ignore the shitty iphone broll clips in the beginning

Modify'd since I suck and somehow can't figure out how to embed clip.

spicearoni

• @nicfromkenora
« Reply #179 on: August 20, 2020, 04:22:11 PM »
A little promo for a video I'm making that's packed with different formats, but super laid back content. Park footage, street footage, lots of camping footage. Just anything I can film in 2020 and put together into a project..
Shot with a GH5/Canon XA35/Arriflex 16S, and a Canon 814 Super 8 cam. Such a blast messing with all these!