Author Topic: VX MIC by Wooden Camera  (Read 6072 times)

Jordan Wiens

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 49
  • @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
VX MIC by Wooden Camera
« on: March 01, 2019, 09:20:15 AM »
sounds eerily like a vx. excited to see videos made with it in the future.

$299 pre-order
https://woodencamera.com/pages/vxmic
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

doyle

• Rep: 214
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: VX MIC by Wooden Camera
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2019, 09:34:15 AM »
Had to cop

Statebird

• Rep: 47
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2019, 09:40:15 AM »
this with a 4:3 HD Setup could be a game changer

Spaghetti Croc69

• Rep: -10
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2019, 09:49:55 AM »
So the vig on both of those cameras is the exact same? Kinda suspect to me but what do I know.

Also, Im an EE and Im slighlty upset with myself that I didnt think of this idea.

doyle

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2019, 10:16:59 AM »
So the vig on both of those cameras is the exact same? Kinda suspect to me but what do I know.

Also, Im an EE and Im slighlty upset with myself that I didnt think of this idea.

The comparison video clips are the exact same, it's just the audio that changes.

Probably filmed with this setup:

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 79
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2019, 10:47:23 AM »
wow if only this was around a few years ago when I was more serious about filming. I want to see a test video by someone who isn't endorsing the product though

Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 673
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2019, 11:00:28 AM »
yeah changing clips audio to "fake" vx ones has been done a LOT. This looks like a great idea, I'm just curious about how it will handle hits (the mic tends to break pretty easily on the vx given it's standing right in the risky zone)

Spaghetti Croc69

• Rep: -10
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2019, 11:11:51 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The comparison video clips are the exact same, it's just the audio that changes.

[img]https://scontent-sea1-1.cdninstagram.com/vp/bbdce2ff64f05358f59566648389d6be/5D21FE7D/t51.2885-15/e35/51769957_587244945123227_7487409456329285038_n.jpg?_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.cdninstagram.com[/img

ahhh yes ok.

Clayton

• Rep: 78
    • Spot Hunter avatar image
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2019, 01:35:56 PM »
Would cop this in a heartbeat if I still filmed and switched to HD.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1367
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2019, 04:48:26 PM »

Right? The design is old enough that it might even be public domain by now.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 753
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2019, 04:59:18 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Who's filmin' with that setup, Goro?

For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

ungzilla

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2019, 05:24:51 PM »
Goro's work with Magenta was great

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2019, 11:28:47 PM »

well maybe you can rig up a vx to record onto an internal harddrive?
truthfully if i could get someone to figure out how to make my gl2 record videos NOT stills onto the mini sd card id still be using it. need some hacking or something. id rather not buy an xlr to external weird hard drive. the components are already there, just need some proper wiring maybe?

djtraceman610

• Rep: 38
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2019, 05:42:43 AM »
Anybody got a promo code or discount for these? I wanna try it out, but i don't know bout that price

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 389
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2019, 01:33:33 PM »
paging Grey mag

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

Szechuan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
  • BadDreams nightmarecollective.
    • BadDreams nightmarecollective. 📺 avatar image
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2019, 01:57:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
paging Grey mag
Hopefully by the time I make the switch to HD there will be a camcorder that does 4:3 in the cam with a lens size for the mk1. A man can dream at least.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2019, 02:41:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
truthfully if i could get someone to figure out how to make my gl2 record videos NOT stills onto the mini sd card id still be using it. need some hacking or something. id rather not buy an xlr to external weird hard drive. the components are already there, just need some proper wiring maybe?
[close]

You can’t have it both ways. The mini dv workflow is part of using the vx1000, or in your case a gl2(???? Awful camera). As long as you don’t reuse tapes you’ll always have the clips incase your hard drive fails or something.

Is essentially what you’re describing but I don’t think it’s practical for skating seeing as how if a cable comes loose mid line or something you’re fucked.

I agree with how easily these may break if hit.

I wanna know Kerry at video electronic’s opinion on this.
yeah, thats what i was hoping to avoid. if there was a possibility to bypass the tapes and record onto the sd internally is what i want. tapes will become harder and harder to find. i dont want to run any cables ideally.

Burton Ernie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
    • Black Mesa avatar image
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2019, 03:35:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[img]https://scontent-sea1-1.cdninstagram.com/vp/bbdce2ff64f05358f59566648389d6be/5D21FE7D/t51.2885-15/e35/51769957_587244945123227_7487409456329285038_n.jpg?_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.cdninstagram.com[/img
[close]

ahhh yes ok.

Doesn’t the VX1 have a 3.5mm mic input? My VX21 does. BUT to me both comparison clips look like the same clip. Maybe they recorded the VXMic to a stand-alone audio recorder so they could get both sources of audio with the same clip.

doyle

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2019, 03:39:26 PM »
The clip is the exact same, the audio is replaced as the comparison. The VX1000 is recording side-by-side with the HD camera (the only angle we see) just so that the VX1000 audio can be used to compare to the new mic.

Ed boy

• Rep: 80
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2019, 01:56:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

You can’t have it both ways. The mini dv workflow is part of using the vx1000, or in your case a gl2(???? Awful camera). As long as you don’t reuse tapes you’ll always have the clips incase your hard drive fails or something.

Is essentially what you’re describing but I don’t think it’s practical for skating seeing as how if a cable comes loose mid line or something you’re fucked.

I agree with how easily these may break if hit.

I wanna know Kerry at video electronic’s opinion on this.
[close]
yeah, thats what i was hoping to avoid. if there was a possibility to bypass the tapes and record onto the sd internally is what i want. tapes will become harder and harder to find. i dont want to run any cables ideally.

I dreamed I invented a mini DV SD card adapter 5 years ago but never knew how to go about making it.

doyle

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2019, 08:48:39 AM »
So I just got one on Friday and did a little side by side test with a VX1000.

GH5 had internal audio on manual at -12db, VX1000 audio on auto. VX in left hand, GH5 in right. Audio is straight from the camera, it hasn't been edited at all.

In my opinion it's definitely the best mic option for skate audio available. It's obviously not 100% identical, but the pop/land/grind sounds seem veeeery close.

I might try to do this again at some point with a Rode VideoMic as well, but its annoying enough filming with two cameras at once let alone adding in a third. If anyone has any other suggestions for tests let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Jordan Wiens

• @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2019, 12:32:28 PM »

GH5 had internal audio on manual at -12db, VX1000 audio on auto. VX in left hand, GH5 in right. Audio is straight from the camera, it hasn't been edited at all.

In my opinion it's definitely the best mic option for skate audio available. It's obviously not 100% identical, but the pop/land/grind sounds seem veeeery close.

I might try to do this again at some point with a Rode VideoMic as well, but its annoying enough filming with two cameras at once let alone adding in a third. If anyone has any other suggestions for tests let me know and I'll see what I can do.
thanks so much for doing the test doyle! im not hearing the snap crackle and pop of the og mic, like the new preamps are too good. maybe boosting the levels and then taking them down in post or degrading the quality somehow would make it sounds more similar. i asked wooden camera if it would sound different on different cameras and they said no but i highly doubt that. hope to see more tests from people with different cameras. berrics test on the hpx170 was impossible to tell because of how insanely echoey it is.
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

Burton Ernie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
    • Black Mesa avatar image
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2019, 12:42:56 PM »
Nothing like purposely degrading the output of a decent mic to match some perceived flaws of a mic from the 90s!

doyle

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2019, 01:43:15 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
thanks so much for doing the test doyle! im not hearing the snap crackle and pop of the og mic, like the new preamps are too good. maybe boosting the levels and then taking them down in post or degrading the quality somehow would make it sounds more similar. i asked wooden camera if it would sound different on different cameras and they said no but i highly doubt that. hope to see more tests from people with different cameras. berrics test on the hpx170 was impossible to tell because of how insanely echoey it is.
I'm not sure what difference using other cameras would be, but I can try this same side-by-side with an HPX/Xtreme soon.

I think having a third one, either Rode VideoMic or even just HPX internal mic will help show just how much the VX mic is an improvement (and just how similar it is to the VX1000 mic).

If you wanted to try messing with exporting/levels and shit, there is a downloadable folder of a bunch of different audio files from different mics on the Wooden Camera site - https://woodencamera.com/pages/vxmic

BacksideWallride

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -24
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2019, 01:57:29 PM »

Actual VX still sounds better.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 31
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2019, 04:00:31 PM »
fuck so expensive but pretty sick

clintendo

• Rep: 25
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2019, 05:51:08 PM »
I'm in the middle of filming something with an all iphone set up, I'm tempted to get one of these for it, but not sure how much of a fuck around its going to be to rig to an iphone

hadouken

• Rep: 54
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2019, 01:37:57 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

It sounds like the VX boosts mid frequencies, whereas the GH5 is pretty flat. I'd almost guarantee that the VX boosts frequencies that Sony decided were in the 'voice' spectrum.

If you wanna send me the audio files of each I reckon I could figure out exactly what's going on. And I'd be willing to bet that a plugin could mimic the VX really, really well. Audio plugins have come a long way; they can mimic the sound of various machines and rooms at Abbey Road, so I'm sure we could crack the secret of why a VX sounds so good.
&& lives to fuck the tits off new mums

Jordan Wiens

• @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2019, 08:42:37 AM »
I'm in the middle of filming something with an all iphone set up, I'm tempted to get one of these for it, but not sure how much of a fuck around its going to be to rig to an iphone
just get a death lens and a hot shoe handle and call it a day. iphone should be more about ease of use and spontaneity.
It sounds like the VX boosts mid frequencies, whereas the GH5 is pretty flat. I'd almost guarantee that the VX boosts frequencies that Sony decided were in the 'voice' spectrum.

If you wanna send me the audio files of each I reckon I could figure out exactly what's going on. And I'd be willing to bet that a plugin could mimic the VX really, really well. Audio plugins have come a long way; they can mimic the sound of various machines and rooms at Abbey Road, so I'm sure we could crack the secret of why a VX sounds so good.
I am not good at audio by any means but i mustve tried every filter in premiere lol. you should download the video using https://y2mate.com and see if you can do it in an nle. some if any are willing to send their audio to a different program to be mastered but its not practical, especially for a skate video.
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

doyle

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2019, 09:36:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Here you go!
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/akndojdbtvrufv5/AABQQfCkQm7qosd_N168V5qSa?dl=0