Author Topic: Kader on Nike  (Read 71955 times)

Seadramon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
Re: Kader on Nike
« Reply #120 on: November 16, 2020, 12:10:49 PM »
I'm really puzzled by the people so aggressively defending Kader's (very obvious) brand disloyalty.

Like, yeah.. he's a kid and he's gunna follow the money/what's cool. But for you folks to be in his back pocket so hard is really fucking weird.

I don't give a shit where he goes. And I'd 100% do the same as a kid his age. But idk who you think you're kidding..

Dude's gone through how many sponsors over the last few years? (Can someone who's bored go through and tally them up - I'm genuinely curious).

Mike V and Markovich catch heat all the time - not sure why this kid would be any different.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 249
« Reply #121 on: November 16, 2020, 12:13:20 PM »
I'm really puzzled by the people so aggressively defending Kader's (very obvious) brand disloyalty.

Like, yeah.. he's a kid and he's gunna follow the money/what's cool. But for you folks to be in his back pocket so hard is really fucking weird.

I don't give a shit where he goes. And I'd 100% do the same as a kid his age. But idk who you think you're kidding..

Dude's gone through how many sponsors over the last few years? (Can someone who's bored go through and tally them up - I'm genuinely curious).

Mike V and Markovich catch heat all the time - not sure why this kid would be any different.

Mike V and Markovich are kooks in general and they don’t sponsor hop, they start unnecessary and unsuccessful board brands in quick succession

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1102
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #122 on: November 16, 2020, 12:16:50 PM »
Wish him the best with his new sponsor
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

Seadramon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #123 on: November 16, 2020, 12:17:15 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Mike V and Markovich are kooks in general and they don’t sponsor hop, they start unnecessary and unsuccessful board brands in quick succession

Yeah they do that too - but they also sponsor hop like crazy.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #124 on: November 16, 2020, 12:18:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I am usually one to defend the whole FA/Hockey/Supreme camp... I am a fan of a lot skaters that Slap writes off as gimmicky or wack...

But this time, I gotta agree, this switch just kinda bums me out. I really like Kader but this just feels kinda lame... like respect to a kid around my age chasing the bag and succeeding, can't hate on that, but something just doesn't sit right with me.

I'm a Supreme fan, but I really hope Kader doesn't make that his primary identifier, Reynolds and the Baker gang did a lot for him and I hope he doesnt abandon that.
[close]

What did they do for him that they didn’t do for others?
[close]

It always seemed like Reynolds really saw the potential in Kader. I remember in his Epicly Later'd, Kader and his daughter were friends and Reynolds really seemed to care about him and want the best for him.

Maybe they didnt do anything "more" for Kader or maybe its just the way Beagle & Co. edited Baker 4, but as an outside viewer, it seems the Baker lot seemed way more caring and supportive than the aura Bill curates in his videos.

Maybe I'm wrong, what do I know... just my two cents on the topic

Of course Reynolds saw potential in him.  He wouldn’t sponsor people he doesn’t see potential in. 

And what version of Baker 4 did you see?   Did I miss the part where Reynolds hugged Kader after landing a trick but assured him he’d still love him even if he didn’t?

I’m not sure why everyone is creating this dichotomy between Baker and Fat Bill when Nike is involved.   

Sick Duck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 94
« Reply #125 on: November 16, 2020, 12:19:09 PM »
Sick part I enjoyed that.

Could give a shit if he moves, it's his choice.

What height is he ? Midget vibes for a fully grown man
seriously i thought he was still like 16

hateboard

• Rep: -277
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #126 on: November 16, 2020, 12:20:25 PM »
I am usually one to defend the whole FA/Hockey/Supreme camp... I am a fan of a lot skaters that Slap writes off as gimmicky or wack...

But this time, I gotta agree, this switch just kinda bums me out. I really like Kader but this just feels kinda lame... like respect to a kid around my age chasing the bag and succeeding, can't hate on that, but something just doesn't sit right with me.

I'm a Supreme fan, but I really hope Kader doesn't make that his primary identifier, Reynolds and the Baker gang did a lot for him and I hope he doesnt abandon that.

Considering most that clip had him rocking supreme shirts id say the ship has sailed.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #127 on: November 16, 2020, 12:24:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Do they?  You sure they weren’t let go?   Also...explain why it matters these skaters aren’t loyal to A BRAND.   

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 582
« Reply #128 on: November 16, 2020, 12:31:36 PM »
These people in here mad that an 18 year old left Vans and signed a Nike contract and don't consider how fickle a career in this industry can be between trends, injuries and the economy doing poorly. Can you imagine someone shaking their head at you because you took a new job with a pay raise? I think people just generally romanticize loyalty in the skateboard industry.

Agreed.

Prinzy

• Rep: 178
« Reply #129 on: November 16, 2020, 12:33:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

It always seemed like Reynolds really saw the potential in Kader. I remember in his Epicly Later'd, Kader and his daughter were friends and Reynolds really seemed to care about him and want the best for him.

Maybe they didnt do anything "more" for Kader or maybe its just the way Beagle & Co. edited Baker 4, but as an outside viewer, it seems the Baker lot seemed way more caring and supportive than the aura Bill curates in his videos.

[close]

Of course Reynolds saw potential in him.  He wouldn’t sponsor people he doesn’t see potential in. 

And what version of Baker 4 did you see?   Did I miss the part where Reynolds hugged Kader after landing a trick but assured him he’d still love him even if he didn’t?

I’m not sure why everyone is creating this dichotomy between Baker and Fat Bill when Nike is involved.

Fair fair, I think the dichotomy is just sorta concluded upon due to Supreme and Nike both being "trendy". There is no tangible evidence to even bring Bill into the discussion when talking Kader/Nike so you're right on that front.

I think you would be kidding yourself though to think Reynolds sees Kader as a money maker first and foremost. It'd be some cornball shit to dive into the rabbit hole of "How much does Reynolds love Kader" but I'm just saying in a hypothetical situation where i was a parent of a good skater, I'd trust Reynolds with my kid before I'd trust Bill.

But I digress, none of that matters, all in all I agree, a lot of conclusions being jumped to in this thread, we should just leave it at Kader moved to Nike, it is what it is.

spongebob is lit and if i see any spongebob slander i'm pulling up to your house and beating your ass

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #130 on: November 16, 2020, 12:42:46 PM »
Kader looked sick in those Half-Cabs....that is all.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #131 on: November 16, 2020, 12:42:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Fair fair, I think the dichotomy is just sorta concluded upon due to Supreme and Nike both being "trendy". There is no tangible evidence to even bring Bill into the discussion when talking Kader/Nike so you're right on that front.

I think you would be kidding yourself though to think Reynolds sees Kader as a money maker first and foremost. It'd be some cornball shit to dive into the rabbit hole of "How much does Reynolds love Kader" but I'm just saying in a hypothetical situation where i was a parent of a good skater, I'd trust Reynolds with my kid before I'd trust Bill.

But I digress, none of that matters, all in all I agree, a lot of conclusions being jumped to in this thread, we should just leave it at Kader moved to Nike, it is what it is.

Yikes I wouldn’t trust Reynolds with my kid.   Who’s an aspirational figure that came up through Baker?  Desert trash conspiracy theorist?   Guy who was set on fire by Neck Face?  Disgusting stoner rock with questionable sexual ethics?   And those are the bright spots!

Prinzy

• Rep: 178
« Reply #132 on: November 16, 2020, 12:47:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yikes I wouldn’t trust Reynolds with my kid.   Who’s an aspirational figure that came up through Baker?  Desert trash conspiracy theorist?   Guy who was set on fire by Neck Face?  Disgusting stoner rock with questionable sexual ethics?   And those are the bright spots!

2020 Baker is very different than 2007 Baker. If you think Reynolds or Spanky are still acting like hooligans, you're a tad out of the loop chief.

Also I pretty much agreed with you, not sure why you cherry picked a singular point to drag on the debate but so be it, guess I'll just wait for Stroebeck's daycare business to take off.

spongebob is lit and if i see any spongebob slander i'm pulling up to your house and beating your ass

hateboard

• Rep: -277
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #133 on: November 16, 2020, 12:52:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Sick part I enjoyed that.

Could give a shit if he moves, it's his choice.

What height is he ? Midget vibes for a fully grown man
[close]
seriously i thought he was still like 16

Its true, that recent pic with him standing next to reynolds on insta made him look like a 12 year old and reynolds was crouching down! Commenters were saying that Spanky shrunk him in photoshop but if not, thats his forever body size (18 is fully grown). Probably an asset for his ability to nugget bounce out of hammers but not good news if you are waiting for him to start popping that 9 inch slab higher than his knees.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #134 on: November 16, 2020, 12:53:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I don't think any skater or skate company really has a great track record. It's the parent's responsibility to guide their kid and help them (while not overbearing control freak like Nyjah's dad). To offload it to anyone in the industry is foolish. But, Baker's track record isn't great.

Unless you have an agent (which is generally frowned upon or mocked around here), no one outside yourself is going to look out for purely your interests in skating or almost any other business for that matter. If you want someone to manage your kids career you reach out to someone like Heath Brinkley or Ryan Clements. But, obviously, that comes at a cost.

Level 60 Dwarf Rogue

• Rep: -64
« Reply #135 on: November 16, 2020, 12:53:59 PM »
People jump sponsors, who fucking cares. How many shoe sponsors did Carroll have in the 90s? 4?

Sandygoat

• Rep: -45
  • THE BIGGEST SHALOMIE
« Reply #136 on: November 16, 2020, 01:00:12 PM »
I guess Baker is the lesser evil of the skate industry. The image they try to cultivate is they are bunch of homies etc etc.  It seems like that baker will try to help you have a career.Seems of course we don't know what goes in the back ground but with how all the team riders always seem to be taken care of ( oh you don't have a shoes sponsor we'll try to talk Emerica about it). Of course those sponsors may not have the biggest checks but it seems a bit more stable than other companies. I like Kader and I like FA too. I like Kader on Baker because it seems like he fits in. FA leans on a lot controversy on their decks( That trippy graphic with the rape victim on it http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2015/05/26/are-shocking-skateboard-graphics-still-impactful/) but there is some cool stuff coming out of there like holographic decks. It seems very trendy and I don't like the idea of him leaving. He kinda fills a spot in the Baker team ( little kid that everyone hate/likes) so I don't know how that dynamic would work no matter how many clips of you smoking weed you put in your part. Not to mention how Reynolds kinda elevated his career.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #137 on: November 16, 2020, 01:11:05 PM »
People jump sponsors, who fucking cares. How many shoe sponsors did Carroll have in the 90s? 4?

Also, how many different shoe brands is Guy wearing in Mouse?

REGS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 111
« Reply #138 on: November 16, 2020, 01:16:14 PM »

People acting like Kader owes these companies anything. He signed a contract with Vans, the contract expired, and he went to a better contract elsewhere. Who the fuck cares about VF corp? I'm sure they'll survive.

He left RVCA for Supreme, and quit Bronson and Indy to skate for Spitfire and Venture. You want him to stay on Bronson forever because they started giving him free bearings when he was 14?

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 598
« Reply #139 on: November 16, 2020, 01:38:13 PM »
real question is will he ever develop some power in his skating like tyshawn did or will he skate like a little kid forever

If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -766
« Reply #140 on: November 16, 2020, 01:49:46 PM »
Expand Quote
real question is will he ever develop some power in his skating like tyshawn did or will he skate like a little kid forever
[close]

What point is the post in favor of ? Kid or power ?

Looks kid to me. Bunny hopping out of grind
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

PlugSkullcandy

• Rep: 92
« Reply #141 on: November 16, 2020, 01:51:05 PM »
If was a successful skateboarder when I was 18 I would probably go for the $$$ too. At that age loyalty seemed very conceptual for me.

Who knows what’s going on behind the scenes ? Does he  have an agent / manager ? I don’t know. Do I care ? Not that much, the kid does what he wants and we’ll see in the future if it was the right decisions...

That said, he looked good with Vans especially Half-Cabs.

Massivebellend

• Rep: -13
« Reply #142 on: November 16, 2020, 01:53:33 PM »
trying to look cool while smoking weed in videos is next level cringe

This.

Fair play to him getting the Nike sb $$$ but fat bill is whack. Stay with baker Kader. (Not the biggest fan of his big rail skating anyway)

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #143 on: November 16, 2020, 01:58:15 PM »
If was a successful skateboarder when I was 18 I would probably go for the $$$ too. At that age loyalty seemed very conceptual for me.

Who knows what’s going on behind the scenes ? Does he  have an agent / manager ? I don’t know. Do I care ? Not that much, the kid does what he wants and we’ll see in the future if it was the right decisions...

That said, he looked good with Vans especially Half-Cabs.

Ive found the people who valorize loyalty the most are those with the fewest options to go elsewhere

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -766
« Reply #144 on: November 16, 2020, 02:02:12 PM »
I guess Baker is the lesser evil of the skate industry. The image they try to cultivate is they are bunch of homies etc etc.  It seems like that baker will try to help you have a career.Seems of course we don't know what goes in the back ground but with how all the team riders always seem to be taken care of ( oh you don't have a shoes sponsor we'll try to talk Emerica about it). Of course those sponsors may not have the biggest checks but it seems a bit more stable than other companies. I like Kader and I like FA too. I like Kader on Baker because it seems like he fits in. FA leans on a lot controversy on their decks( That trippy graphic with the rape victim on it http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2015/05/26/are-shocking-skateboard-graphics-still-impactful/) but there is some cool stuff coming out of there like holographic decks. It seems very trendy and I don't like the idea of him leaving. He kinda fills a spot in the Baker team ( little kid that everyone hate/likes) so I don't know how that dynamic would work no matter how many clips of you smoking weed you put in your part. Not to mention how Reynolds kinda elevated his career.

Surprised that FA deck doesn't have its own thread on here.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Seadramon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #145 on: November 16, 2020, 02:18:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Do they?  You sure they weren’t let go?   Also...explain why it matters these skaters aren’t loyal to A BRAND.

They could have been - wouldn't surprise me at all.

I couldn't care less about who's loyal to who. I thought i made that clear in my original post.

Lame_Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -5
  • Just a lame nigga who can't kickflip
« Reply #146 on: November 16, 2020, 02:23:26 PM »
Bummed he left Vans because that's another skater sucked up by Nike (seriously, how much money does NIke SB make to sponsor half the industry?), But I can't be mad at a young nigga making money when that may be his only option to help his family. I'm Sure Vans paid OK but not nike money

skatingisntspecialstupid

• Rep: 57
« Reply #147 on: November 16, 2020, 02:29:25 PM »
Him and Bill so sassy about switching from one corpo sponsor to another. It’s kind of funny. Wonder if these kids see guys like Gall doing renovations and odd jobs to make ends meet later in life and say fuck that. Cant blame em personally.
Don’t dip your head in or your board will end up behind you

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 988
« Reply #148 on: November 16, 2020, 02:43:57 PM »
Looks kid to me. Bunny hopping out of grind

stephop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -388