Author Topic: New Ace AF1 *Low* announced  (Read 40917 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1016
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
Re: New Ace AF1 *Low* announced
« Reply #300 on: May 01, 2022, 07:01:55 AM »
I'm dreaming of a 51mm ace, so I gotta get 2mm risers somehow. I wish I could manage to grind the real 3ply risers down to 2mm, but I'm not sure about that. Any recommendations? I know mini logo makes 2.5mm ones.
I'd love to try every height from 49 to 52mm actually. Standards always felt a bit too high for me.

https://www.warehouseskateboards.com/blank-skateboards-h-block-clear-riser-pads-set-of-two-2-2mm

I threw in some bones mediums bottoms (no bottom washer = same stock height ace low bushing using washer) using stock tops; will report back later...I don't have high hopes, the stock top is 91a compared to bones 92a but the swap from 86a ace to 92a bones bottom will surely negate some of the ACE magic.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2022, 07:10:58 AM by Xen »

Bumba

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 32
« Reply #301 on: May 01, 2022, 07:02:30 AM »
I'm dreaming of a 51mm ace, so I gotta get 2mm risers somehow. I wish I could manage to grind the real 3ply risers down to 2mm, but I'm not sure about that. Any recommendations? I know mini logo makes 2.5mm ones.
I'd love to try every height from 49 to 52mm actually. Standards always felt a bit too high for me.

Ace make "shock pads" which are 1.5mm or 1/16". Should be close enough

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #302 on: May 01, 2022, 07:26:13 AM »

Wait…you are dreaming of a truck that is 1mm shorter, than it is?
badatmeth.

Someone else mentioned it, but ace has a 1/16th pad, and bones also had/has 1/16th risers.
Someone on here made some really nice looking risers a bit back, from some plastic (I think). Puffin may remember who made em. Maybe.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #303 on: May 01, 2022, 07:31:46 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

badatmeth.

Someone else mentioned it, but ace has a 1/16th pad, and bones also had/has 1/16th risers.
Someone on here made some really nice looking risers a bit back, from some plastic (I think). Puffin may remember who made em. Maybe.

Yeah, just get classics at 52mm and call it a day....or get lows and 2mm risers and do you.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #304 on: May 01, 2022, 07:34:21 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

badatmeth.

AF1 are (at least) 53mm. They're huge compared to my forged thunder 148(51mm)

Edit: Also wanna say that real is onto something with the 3ply risers. Using riser pads without everything feeling like shit is amazing. They're just adding too much for my taste. 3.4 mm in my case

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #305 on: May 01, 2022, 07:41:07 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

https://www.warehouseskateboards.com/blank-skateboards-h-block-clear-riser-pads-set-of-two-2-2mm

I threw in some bones mediums bottoms (no bottom washer = same stock height ace low bushing using washer) using stock tops; will report back later...I don't have high hopes, the stock top is 91a compared to bones 92a but the swap from 86a ace to 92a bones bottom will surely negate some of the ACE magic.

I thought about the same thing but thought the conical wasn’t gonna chill things out.  So I just crammed.  I’m not a fan of Ace bushings….too mushy.  It makes sense for the demographic though….

In A Jar

• Rep: 35
    • just say null avatar image
« Reply #306 on: May 01, 2022, 07:56:18 AM »
Gave up on my 55 lows when the brand new axle nuts repeatedly fell off on front slappies.  I know I could get other nuts, but I used it as a sign.  Back to cast base/titanium 5.8s which is where I guess I'm destined to belong. 

bryan

• Rep: 26
« Reply #307 on: May 01, 2022, 08:58:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I thought about the same thing but thought the conical wasn’t gonna chill things out.  So I just crammed.  I’m not a fan of Ace bushings….too mushy.  It makes sense for the demographic though….

I went with Bones hard bottom, medium top. It's like a better turning thunder now.

Gave up on my 55 lows when the brand new axle nuts repeatedly fell off on front slappies.  I know I could get other nuts, but I used it as a sign.  Back to cast base/titanium 5.8s which is where I guess I'm destined to belong.

I noticed the same thing about the axle nuts, very loose even through the nylon. Might have to swap in some old truck nuts.

Personally I just wanted wide venture lows, these are different but good enough until that happens.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #308 on: May 01, 2022, 09:35:35 AM »
Time to adjust my nuts.

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #309 on: May 01, 2022, 11:30:31 AM »

I’m not positive but I believe if you put a standard af1 hanger on a low baseplate it will be 51mm? That was pet of aces initial advertising for the lows is that there would be more size combos

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #310 on: May 01, 2022, 11:31:59 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I’m not positive but I believe if you put a standard af1 hanger on a low baseplate it will be 51mm? That was pet of aces initial advertising for the lows is that there would be more size combos

Unfortunately not, they only changed the baseplate. I guess they meant that you can turn all the standard aces you already have into lows.

BTW I'm getting +2.75 on the low wheelbase. All my standard AF1 are between 2.90 and 2.95

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #311 on: May 01, 2022, 11:37:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Unfortunately not, they only changed the baseplate. I guess they meant that you can turn all the standard aces you already have into lows.

Yup. "lowered baseplate for more size options across the range"

Frank and Fred

« Reply #312 on: May 01, 2022, 12:27:13 PM »
I have never owned low trucks (unless Venture Featherlights from the 90s count?) but I will likely purchase some Ace Low baseplates when they are available by themselves... might be fun to set up with some 50mms on a Loveseat/ Couch deck.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #313 on: May 01, 2022, 12:36:24 PM »
Bones bottoms = no more clicky click

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #314 on: May 01, 2022, 01:27:30 PM »
I’ll give those a whirl…..

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #315 on: May 01, 2022, 01:33:47 PM »
Additionally, the bones did not fuck with the ability to turn it’s just as tight/responsive, just not as mushy.

Should’ve come as no surprise as I rode bones hards in the 03s years back with great success.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2022, 02:03:39 PM by Xen »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #316 on: May 05, 2022, 12:25:40 PM »
I tried both, but just ended up putting in the bones top/bottom. 

I’ve been skating worn down 52’s and have a new set ready to go…it’ll be interesting to see how they fair.  So far though they don’t bite until they are turned around backwards…it gives you a chance to stay on before you get bucked…

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #317 on: May 05, 2022, 01:16:48 PM »

51mm Ace would be fuckin 🤌🤌🤌! Why the fuck they made these 49mm, I'll never know.

I still buy Indy stage 10's and put on Indy forged baseplates to get 51.5mm trucks. To me, it's as low as I've found worked to sit low but still have a good turn and not get crazy wheelbite.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #318 on: May 05, 2022, 01:27:10 PM »
Are you guys really saying the Ace low is too low?

bryan

« Reply #319 on: May 05, 2022, 02:25:46 PM »

Ace and other brands make 1/16" (1.5mm) Shock Pads.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #320 on: May 05, 2022, 02:26:25 PM »

Not at all, the lower the truck, the more range it has. For my current setup, 49mm would be too low, but with a longer wheelbase and steeper kicks, I'd ride them without risers. (Currently on 2.5mm risers)
Still can't believe this incredible kingpin clearance.

bryan

« Reply #321 on: May 05, 2022, 02:37:44 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Not at all, the lower the truck, the more range it has. For my current setup, 49mm would be too low, but with a longer wheelbase and steeper kicks, I'd ride them without risers.
Still can't believe this incredible kingpin clearance.

Agreed, the kingpin clearance is amazing for a low truck.

I think the real problem for a lot of truck companies was wheelbite on low trucks wider than 8". I think what ace accomplished here wasn't possible for Thunder and Venture without bad wheelbite or completely changing their geometry, which I imagine is why venture low only come in 7.75 + 8, and thunder are 49-50mm tall 6.9-8 (140-147) wide but 52-53mm high for 8.25-9 (148-161).

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #322 on: May 05, 2022, 03:13:33 PM »
The geo pushes the wheel to the inside, it twists considerably before you have contact.  Thunder the wheel just hits….Venture high as least the geo is so shallow it rubs but doesnt snag like a thunder. 

I’ll update with the 52’s….too much new shit right now….

Frank and Fred

« Reply #323 on: May 05, 2022, 06:58:57 PM »
That's the beauty of Ace geometry, the turn keeps going and 'hooks' under the deck so wheel bite isn't as harsh. Glad to hear the lows work like that also.

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #324 on: May 05, 2022, 08:06:57 PM »
Well, I bought some 66s on my way home to swap the hangers onto the Low baseplates, went to mount the last wheel, and the axle is defective; too girthy for the bearings.

After looking at the way the hanger sits on the Low bottom bushing, I was all excited to tinker with the taller Ace bushings to see how these can be customized. Will report back once I get this warranty claim sorted.

logjammin

• Rep: 346
« Reply #325 on: May 06, 2022, 12:15:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

BTW I'm getting +2.75 on the low wheelbase. All my standard AF1 are between 2.90 and 2.95

If this is true, I think I might buy some lows now and do a 1/8" Ace Riser with a 1/16" shock pad underneath like I am already doing with the standard AF1's, and just downsize my wheels. The shortened wheelbase should make them turn even better, slightly lighten the load, and since the kingpin still sits pretty low, no worries there!

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 194
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #326 on: May 07, 2022, 02:56:18 AM »
I swapped my top bushing with a bones hard top and my ace 44 lows are very nice and stable with still a crazy deep turn when you need it

I recently copped and extra set of 44 af1 regulars with the af1 hard bushings and man what a difference!

They need to make those af1 hard bushings in a low
yes

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #327 on: May 07, 2022, 07:20:14 AM »
Looks like NFG has something….

To me Ace stock feel like a better version of OG Indy stock….

mvdbosch90

• Rep: 20
« Reply #328 on: May 08, 2022, 11:12:23 AM »
I’m considering giving the AF1 55 low’s a try. I tried the regular AF1’s for a while, and even though I really liked the turn and general feel, I had the feeling that it was just more difficult to do my tricks on due to the heavy feel. How is that with the lows? Is the pop/flip feeling lighter due to the reduced weight and height? And is the steering still comparable even though the bushings are smaller?

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #329 on: May 08, 2022, 12:12:00 PM »
I’m considering giving the AF1 55 low’s a try. I tried the regular AF1’s for a while, and even though I really liked the turn and general feel, I had the feeling that it was just more difficult to do my tricks on due to the heavy feel. How is that with the lows? Is the pop/flip feeling lighter due to the reduced weight and height? And is the steering still comparable even though the bushings are smaller?

They are 20g lighter, and also shorten the wheelbase even more. And lower obviously, which leads to an even quicker pop. Steering is amazing. These are the best trucks I've ever been blessed to skate.

I felt like the new royals are going to be the only trucks in my future because they were better than everything I've tried, but ace made a comeback with these lows. Huge win for ace and the people in my opinion