Author Topic: bikes  (Read 309195 times)

Plan9Customs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 540
Re: bikes
« Reply #3330 on: June 27, 2023, 10:02:32 PM »
What’s olds new.

Ironically I worked for 2 years and saved up enough to buy the frame, fork, bars(Mike Dominguez not pictured), and some Skyway mags(not pictured but still have everything), then I started skating about 6 months later after going to a Curb Dogs demo at the local bike shop.

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 810
« Reply #3331 on: June 28, 2023, 03:40:05 AM »
What’s olds new.

Ironically I worked for 2 years and saved up enough to buy the frame, fork, bars(Mike Dominguez not pictured), and some Skyway mags(not pictured but still have everything), then I started skating about 6 months later after going to a Curb Dogs demo at the local bike shop.

Thats sick. Mix of old school and new? I wish the top tubes on my old bmx's were longer, after riding my newer S&M's I can't stand the old ones anymore.

Mr. Pickles

• Rep: 39
« Reply #3332 on: June 28, 2023, 07:42:24 AM »
Expand Quote
I need to sell my Crust. Shit's tight right now and it's the least utilitarian bike I have so it can go. Selling a bike on Craigslist is a fucking nightmare though, especially a custom one that's $$$$. I might just take the hit and see what a reseller would give me, like the pro's closet.
[close]

TPC is not going to give you the amount of what it can actually go for, but they will give it to you quickly.

If you have the time I would try another option. basically save TPC for a last resort if you need money in a day or two. They undercut my homie for a nice hardtail frameset by so much, it was almost an insult. But that is their business model I guess.
Yea I got a quote from them and was insulted. Not even 1/3 of what I could get.

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 353
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3333 on: June 28, 2023, 11:00:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I need to sell my Crust. Shit's tight right now and it's the least utilitarian bike I have so it can go. Selling a bike on Craigslist is a fucking nightmare though, especially a custom one that's $$$$. I might just take the hit and see what a reseller would give me, like the pro's closet.
[close]

TPC is not going to give you the amount of what it can actually go for, but they will give it to you quickly.

If you have the time I would try another option. basically save TPC for a last resort if you need money in a day or two. They undercut my homie for a nice hardtail frameset by so much, it was almost an insult. But that is their business model I guess.
[close]

they're also kinda assholes as a company, IMO. buncha friends worked there, and every single one has quit.

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

Mr. Pickles

« Reply #3334 on: June 28, 2023, 12:14:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

they're also kinda assholes as a company, IMO. buncha friends worked there, and every single one has quit.
That’s kind of a bummer to hear. I can’t stand my LBS, so I go to one half an hour a way for repairs I can’t handle, but parts are usually so marked up at a LBS. I’ve bought a lot of gear from TPC just because they seemed alright and had good prices. I bought a couple of swift bags from them for like half off around the holidays too.

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 700
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #3335 on: June 30, 2023, 02:33:22 PM »
i had a mongoose decade BMX that color when I was a kid.  i wish i had appreciated it more, it was a cool bike.  the Fairdale looks really fun

anyone here into indoor training?  i just picked up a used Kinetic trainer for my Felt road bike, and have been riding on Zwift the last couple days.  I haven't ridden the road bike in a while (shitty, dangerous roads here), but I'm having a lot of fun riding on Zwift in my spare room.  already decided to upgrade to a direct drive trainer.

I started zwift just after christmas.  Really helped with sanity over the long winter.  Made a "slap pals"  group on there.  We don't do anything with it, but if you;re in there I'll give you a follow, and encouragement.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

hiljentaa

• Rep: 317
« Reply #3336 on: June 30, 2023, 03:52:55 PM »
My road bike and MTB were stolen in Denver two years ago. Haven't ridden since.

I'm moving back to Colorado and looking into buying a new hardtail MTB to get back into it. Not interested in full suspension- too expensive, too much maintenance and most importantly- I hate how they jump.

I don't really want to spend more than $3500, and would prefer less than 3. I don't want something ridiculously slack, but would prefer low standover, short chainstays and a frame that isn't too stiff.

I haven't really paid any attention to the market in the past 4 years, so not sure what is out there. Looking for something like the Kona Honzo DL or Salsa Timberjack, but definitely interested in other options. Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2023, 06:29:23 PM by hiljentaa »

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #3337 on: July 01, 2023, 05:24:15 AM »
I haven't really paid any attention to the market in the past 4 years, so not sure what is out there. Looking for something like the Kona Honzo DL or Salsa Timberjack, but definitely interested in other options. Any suggestions?

I am biased towards Kona because they're local and I've got a dozen friends who work or have worked there, but also I have a Honzo ST and it's the best fucking hardtail ever made.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3338 on: July 01, 2023, 09:14:47 AM »
It's cool seeing pros jump on bikes now and then
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CuD3llstY_w/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Mr. Pickles

« Reply #3339 on: July 01, 2023, 11:53:15 AM »

I'm moving back to Colorado and looking into buying a new hardtail MTB to get back into it. Not interested in full suspension- too expensive, too much maintenance and most importantly- I hate how they jump.

I don't really want to spend more than $3500, and would prefer less than 3. I don't want something ridiculously slack, but would prefer low standover, short chainstays and a frame that isn't too stiff.

Have you looked at the Marin San Quintin?

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #3340 on: July 05, 2023, 09:38:33 AM »

Posted some in progress photos awhile back, but been riding this new build this season. First new bike in basically a decade. Custom carbon fiber with machined aluminum. Campy chorus group set, carbon wheels with DT Swiss 240 hubs. Integrated headset.

Wanted a “do anything” kinda build, and while I mainly ride roads this thing holds up well in gravel and trail riding. It’s also fun to under bike sometimes too.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 552
« Reply #3341 on: July 05, 2023, 10:32:05 AM »

Posted some in progress photos awhile back, but been riding this new build this season. First new bike in basically a decade. Custom carbon fiber with machined aluminum. Campy chorus group set, carbon wheels with DT Swiss 240 hubs. Integrated headset.

Wanted a “do anything” kinda build, and while I mainly ride roads this thing holds up well in gravel and trail riding. It’s also fun to under bike sometimes too.

That thing is a beaut! The saw blade looking chainring looks crazy as fuck. LOL.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 552
« Reply #3342 on: July 05, 2023, 10:34:16 AM »
I found a brand new Ultegra 8000 46/33 crankset for under $200 and copped it so I can replace the 53/39 crank from my 6700 group. I've been liking more spin as I've been climbing a lot. Then to have the same size crank on my gravel and road bike will be nice bonus. 

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 540
« Reply #3343 on: July 05, 2023, 09:59:57 PM »
Expand Quote
What’s olds new.

[close]

Thats sick. Mix of old school and new? I wish the top tubes on my old bmx's were longer, after riding my newer S&M's I can't stand the old ones anymore.

Yes sir.
 I understand about the size as well. After I started making my own frames I can’t ride most factory stuff anymore.

Skibb

• Rep: 68
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #3344 on: July 06, 2023, 03:15:04 AM »
Jenkem did a Terry B interview:

breezer

• Rep: -16
« Reply #3345 on: July 06, 2023, 12:26:58 PM »

Stooge! 

http://stoogecycles.co.uk

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 315
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #3346 on: July 06, 2023, 12:39:11 PM »

1988 Miyata 1200 w/ Sante 7-speed sis shifters

I got doored about a month ago while riding the '83 Miyata 310 and I'm still waiting to hear back from my claim whether or not the other party's insurance will take care of everything ($200 Japanese steel fork that I upgraded to about a month prior totally destroyed). I walked away with no major injuries besides a laceration on the jaw which I guess makes me look tough as fuck according to the homies.

This bike has been super fun so far and is way lighter; although I put 600 miles on the 310 so it had sentimental value :(

231st Street

• Rep: -207
« Reply #3347 on: July 06, 2023, 07:38:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
What’s olds new.

[close]

[close]

Yes sir.
 I understand about the size as well. After I started making my own frames I can’t ride most factory stuff anymore.

Nice.  Does anyone on here make homeaid 26 inch bmx frames?  Or know of something better than my "dyno throwback" 26 inch brought in last few years that isn't crazy expensive or an SE ripper.  I used to put together 20 inch dirt race bmxrs but long gone and can't get myself onto 20 inches anymore, though maybe its more of a length thing.  Like I discussed wheelbase later in life, am I missing the point as to why I need the 26

Mr. Pickles

« Reply #3348 on: July 06, 2023, 07:55:14 PM »

I got doored about a month ago while riding the '83 Miyata 310 and I'm still waiting to hear back from my claim whether or not the other party's insurance will take care of everything ($200 Japanese steel fork that I upgraded to about a month prior totally destroyed). I walked away with no major injuries besides a laceration on the jaw which I guess makes me look tough as fuck according to the homies.

This bike has been super fun so far and is way lighter; although I put 600 miles on the 310 so it had sentimental value :(
Is this around Richmond?

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3349 on: July 07, 2023, 06:29:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
What’s olds new.

[close]

[close]

Yes sir.
[close]

Nice.  Does anyone on here make homeaid 26 inch bmx frames?  Or know of something better than my "dyno throwback" 26 inch brought in last few years that isn't crazy expensive or an SE ripper.  I used to put together 20 inch dirt race bmxrs but long gone and can't get myself onto 20 inches anymore, though maybe its more of a length thing.  Like I discussed wheelbase later in life, am I missing the point as to why I need the 26

Fit do 22" , 26" and 29" bmx's. No clue where your based but if you have a local shop try one. Personally a 22" would be my next choice (then again i'm 45 and daily my 20")..the top tube makes a huge difference all the old school ones are way too short for adults..plus having decent size bars helps also, I have 9.5" bars they make them up to 12". No one believes my they are comfortable to ride with a longer top tube and decent bars till they try. Even my boss borrowed my bike to get his car that was towed one day and when he came back he was ok now I get it.

potpie

• Rep: 30
« Reply #3350 on: July 07, 2023, 07:29:58 AM »

I feel like I may follow you on instagram

323-BALM

• Rep: 46
« Reply #3351 on: July 07, 2023, 10:03:53 AM »
riding some of Dad's bikes around the beach town.

ride your bikes people!!!
You've clearly never smelled a cauliflower fart.

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3352 on: July 07, 2023, 10:09:36 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Oh yeah? I got the same name on there as I do here, and there’s only a few of these bikes in existence at the moment so there’s a good chance it’s me, or someone I know.

potpie

« Reply #3353 on: July 07, 2023, 10:17:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Oh yeah? I got the same name on there as I do here, and there’s only a few of these bikes in existence at the moment so there’s a good chance it’s me, or someone I know.
is that a frameworks bike? i follow them on IG, just recently found them.

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 315
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #3354 on: July 07, 2023, 10:48:58 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Is this around Richmond?
this pic was taken on the hill just before Albany bulb

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3355 on: July 07, 2023, 11:18:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

Yeah it’s a Frameworks. It’s some pretty cool stuff they have going on there. How did you come across them if I may ask?

potpie

« Reply #3356 on: July 07, 2023, 04:46:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

Yeah it’s a Frameworks. It’s some pretty cool stuff they have going on there. How did you come across them if I may ask?
haha wow that’s rad. i’ve been showing all my friends their stuff. i joined a bikes discord and ended up seeing somebody mention frameworks there. i’m a complete noob to anything involving drops or narrow tires but i can appreciate a finely crafted machine. currently working on getting into this scene more, there’s so much to learn.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #3357 on: July 07, 2023, 04:58:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
haha wow that’s rad. i’ve been showing all my friends their stuff. i joined a bikes discord and ended up seeing somebody mention frameworks there. i’m a complete noob to anything involving drops or narrow tires but i can appreciate a finely crafted machine. currently working on getting into this scene more, there’s so much to learn.

It’s a hobby and a passion which can consume you in exactly the same way skateboarding does.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

8 Foot Tranny

• Rep: -4
« Reply #3358 on: July 08, 2023, 04:37:01 AM »

How about a Fairdale Taj?
It's 27.5" rather than 26" but there's not much in it.

https://shop.fairdalebikes.com/products/fairdale-x-vans-taj-27-5-authentic-blue

Mr. Pickles

« Reply #3359 on: July 08, 2023, 11:17:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

It’s a hobby and a passion which can consume you in exactly the same way skateboarding does.
For me it’s way worse. Especially being older and having some disposable income. It’s gonna be a hard day when my kid gets into college and I have to let him know he’s on his own because Dad dropped $10k during Covid (it’s still a thing) on bike shit. I’ve spent entire weeks obsessing about wheels and tires, getting absolutely no work done. I feel like I’m finally at peace though and I can ride these 3 bikes I have until I die.

Until Black Mountain drops a new frame and I spend a week grinding my teeth adding it and removing it from my cart, figuring out if my wife knows why my credit card is next to the laptop.