Author Topic: The Last Good Movie You Saw?  (Read 945432 times)

matt_2993

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
Re: The Last Good Movie You Saw?
« Reply #9630 on: April 06, 2023, 07:41:03 PM »
Return to Seoul was a really solid movie. Had no idea about it til it showed up at the theater down the street but really liked it and got a few absolute banger korean tracks to take back with me

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
  • ow
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9631 on: April 06, 2023, 08:55:41 PM »
Probably better a few beers deep but got a kick out of this movie last night

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9632 on: April 07, 2023, 10:24:36 AM »

dear god why haven't i seen this!

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #9633 on: April 07, 2023, 10:49:40 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

dear god why haven't i seen this!

Please don’t forget the sequel Any Which Way You Can (1980)

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1423
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9634 on: April 07, 2023, 11:09:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
watched a flick called "The Wages of Fear." 1953 French film by Henri-Georges Clouzot. I really enjoyed eveything about it. If nothing else, let go of the writing, the acting, cinematography, and larger themes, it's dudes driving nitroglycerin through the jungle.

Anyways, i'm interested in watching more from I'd say a ten year period after WW2. As with poetry and visual art, the camps and the bombs, obliteration of humankind and any notion of God, has to have done something to film.
[close]

Watch Sorcerer.  It’s kind of a remake, but I think most people think it’s superior.   It’s only problem was that it opened the week before Star Wars, so it kinda got swallowed up.   Directed by William Friedkin
[close]

really? i'll have to watch it and report back
@Atiba Applebum

The sorcerer was a solid film. I do however appreciate the wages of fear to a greater regard. There was a more coherent plot line in the earlier film and while the acting was strong in the latter, the earlier was more captivating despite or in spite of 0 effects.

Regardless, both strong films.

Watched Malcom X as well and wheweee. What a guy
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Carrolls Chesthairs

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
  • HANNIBAL!!
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #9635 on: April 07, 2023, 02:03:58 PM »
Mario movie Wednesday
Did they really have the use the Ah-Ha song again? Last of Us has already milked it

Scream IV on Friday
Courtney Cox  :D

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9636 on: April 07, 2023, 04:05:29 PM »
Mario movie Wednesday
Did they really have the use the Ah-Ha song again? Last of Us has already milked it

Scream IV on Friday

There’s no way you thought that Mario movie was good.    Holy shit I hated it.   Not as much as 65, but within spitting distance.

Take on Me, Mr Blue Sky, Looking for a Hero, Thunderstruck, the Kill Bill song just to give you an idea of the well trod soundtrack

fistful0dynamite

« Reply #9637 on: April 08, 2023, 08:30:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Mario movie Wednesday

Scream IV on Friday
[close]

There’s no way you thought that Mario movie was good.    Holy shit I hated it.   Not as much as 65, but within spitting distance.

Take on Me, Mr Blue Sky, Looking for a Hero, Thunderstruck, the Kill Bill song just to give you an idea of the well trod soundtrack
Damn hated it? No cinematic masterpiece obviously but more enjoyable then a marvel movie for me. Totally agree that the pop songs ruined the soundtrack but there were some good renditions of classic Mario themes.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9638 on: April 08, 2023, 08:50:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Mario movie Wednesday

Scream IV on Friday
[close]

[close]
Damn hated it? No cinematic masterpiece obviously but more enjoyable then a marvel movie for me. Totally agree that the pop songs ruined the soundtrack but there were some good renditions of classic Mario themes.

But that’s all it was - here’s a Mario thing, here’s a famous Mario song, etc.   it didn’t need to be cinematic masterpiece and I’m far from a snob (and find Marvel complainers exhausting no offense) but it didn’t even try for a semblance of a plot, stakes, character development, or purpose or that the voices of most of the characters really didn’t suit the bodies.     I’ve seen 20 minute episodes of children’s tv that was more effective than an hour and half of this.   

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9639 on: April 08, 2023, 09:18:37 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

i loved Dinner Rush...just actually mentioned a couple of pages ago. Danny Aiello is a legend.

Something Wild is also on Prime right now

such a fucking classic for so many reasons...for one, there's an awesome John Watters cameo in it--he's a used car salesman. probably my favorite Ray Liotta performance...he's firing on all cylinders around 1:10. i read somewhere that this performance is what made Scorsese ask to play in Good Fellas

I loved this movie. Just watched it last night with my mom and both Jeff Daniels and Ray Liotta were phenomenal in it.  Basically a romantic comedy turned thriller, exactly the kind of story I was in the mood for.  Also awesome seeing Jeff Daniels prior to Dumb and Dumber

fistful0dynamite

« Reply #9640 on: April 08, 2023, 09:37:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Mario movie Wednesday

Scream IV on Friday
[close]

[close]
[close]

But that’s all it was - here’s a Mario thing, here’s a famous Mario song, etc.   it didn’t need to be cinematic masterpiece and I’m far from a snob (and find Marvel complainers exhausting no offense) but it didn’t even try for a semblance of a plot, stakes, character development, or purpose or that the voices of most of the characters really didn’t suit the bodies.     I’ve seen 20 minute episodes of children’s tv that was more effective than an hour and half of this.
I feel like throwing to much plot into a Mario movie is how they ended up with the 93 film. But I totally see your criticism, I personally wasn’t expecting much out of the film so maybe that’s why my critiques are minimal

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9641 on: April 08, 2023, 10:31:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Mario movie Wednesday

Scream IV on Friday
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
I feel like throwing to much plot into a Mario movie is how they ended up with the 93 film. But I totally see your criticism, I personally wasn’t expecting much out of the film so maybe that’s why my critiques are minimal

I can see that, but spare us all the stuff in Mario’s world (esp his family and that Spike guy) and beef up the actual narrative.  I mean Toad doesn’t have any reason to exist.  He’s just there…

I’m also very aware of who movies are are targeted to and this movie wasn’t meant for someone in their 30s, but i be seen Lego Movies, the last Puss N Boots, and so many others that can manage the balance.   I wasn’t expecting much, I was going in to have a dumb good time.   

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 682
« Reply #9642 on: April 08, 2023, 01:35:36 PM »
Been on a Wong Kar-wai kick since most of his catalogue is on hbo max. Just finished…

Love his films, but man they can be pretty depressing…. Fallen Angels is on deck.
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • ow
« Reply #9643 on: April 10, 2023, 04:33:09 PM »
If you're a fan a Tetris, definitely check out this one

Was skeptical at first but really enjoyed it

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9644 on: April 10, 2023, 06:23:50 PM »

Did you know that was Ghislaine Maxwell (if Jeffrey Epstein fame) ‘s dad and brother?

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • ow
« Reply #9645 on: April 10, 2023, 07:41:24 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Did you know that was Ghislaine Maxwell (if Jeffrey Epstein fame) ‘s dad and brother?

I did. Knew of Robert Maxwell from the Epstein doc before this movie and didn’t know he had the main role in trying to acquire/steal the rights to Tetris in some skeevy ways. Totally fitting that he was the bad guy in the movie/a bad guy in real life. Makes sense how she became the monster that she is today.

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9646 on: April 10, 2023, 10:24:28 PM »
Been on a Wong Kar-wai kick since most of his catalogue is on hbo max. Just finished…

[img]https://m.media-amazon.com/images/W/IMAGERENDERING_521856-T1/images/I/81PVQbnP0kL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg[/im

Love his films, but man they can be pretty depressing…. Fallen Angels is on deck.

Depressing? This might be the only one I haven't seen yet but my God do his movies breath life into me. But maybe that's a matter of interpretation of the overall story

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 682
« Reply #9647 on: April 11, 2023, 05:04:35 AM »
Ya… especially in the mood for love. Left me sad as hell. But watched it with an ex who had an entirely different reaction. That’s why his films are so damn good. We can interpret them so differently.

Chungking Express ending was satisfying though…
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

ChompskyHonk

• Rep: 8
  • flow state in the bruh dimension
« Reply #9648 on: April 13, 2023, 09:19:48 AM »
pirated the Mario movie a few days ago. it was good, but not good enough to warrant spending 20 bucks per ticket to see it on the big screen. best video game adaptations that I've seen so far are the last of us hbo show and the 2 live-action/cgi sonic movies that have come out

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9649 on: April 13, 2023, 10:20:40 AM »
Y Tu Mama Tambien was as wild and enjoyable as I was hoping it'd be

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9650 on: April 13, 2023, 12:07:48 PM »
pirated the Mario movie a few days ago. it was good, but not good enough to warrant spending 20 bucks per ticket to see it on the big screen. best video game adaptations that I've seen so far are the last of us hbo show and the 2 live-action/cgi sonic movies that have come out

Better or worse than Shark Tale?

(PS people going to see/liking Mario and not really checking out D&D is why we can’t have nice things)

ChompskyHonk

« Reply #9651 on: April 15, 2023, 08:37:32 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

(PS people going to see/liking Mario and not really checking out D&D is why we can’t have nice things)

shark tale fucking wipes

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9652 on: April 15, 2023, 12:36:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

shark tale fucking wipes

Do you prefer Antz over A Bugs Life, too?

ChompskyHonk

« Reply #9653 on: April 15, 2023, 02:27:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

shark tale fucking wipes
[close]

Do you prefer Antz over A Bugs Life, too?

I haven't seen either in a while so I think some rewatches are due. I'll get back to you on this one

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1423
« Reply #9654 on: April 15, 2023, 04:36:16 PM »
been watching the harry potter movies for the first time. got one left. they're pretty enjoyable. the characters are able to be appreciated and at least until the 6th movie with Hagrid and Harry escaping on the motorcycle, I didn't feel the special fx were over the top. read most of the books when they first came out and although i was a kid and don't remember them much, I don't feel like the movies butcher the spirit of the books.
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9655 on: April 15, 2023, 10:21:04 PM »
been watching the harry potter movies for the first time. got one left. they're pretty enjoyable. the characters are able to be appreciated and at least until the 6th movie with Hagrid and Harry escaping on the motorcycle, I didn't feel the special fx were over the top. read most of the books when they first came out and although i was a kid and don't remember them much, I don't feel like the movies butcher the spirit of the books.

Don’t really remember that VFX but the 6th one Half Blood Prince has my favorite cinematography - Bruno Delbonnel - and I was pumped when he got an Oscar nom for it

Sketch Hitchcock

• Rep: 168
« Reply #9656 on: April 15, 2023, 10:37:54 PM »

Saw D&D today.  Definitely entertaining.  Also since you and I were among the several people to see 65, it was funny how Chris Pine’s daughter in D&D basically played the same role in both films.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9657 on: April 15, 2023, 10:49:53 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Saw D&D today.  Definitely entertaining.  Also since you and I were among the several people to see 65, it was funny how Chris Pine’s daughter in D&D basically played the same role in both films.

Hahah yeah there’s like 3 other movies like that she’s been in also.   I guess because she’s sorta distinct looking it’s easier to pick her out. 

Also, it’s sad more people can’t enjoy that “little” cameo in D&D.

Saw Renfield - crowd was eating it up until I realized during the credits it was a bunch of the crew from the makeup SFX department in the crowd.    It’s a serviceable film: the Renfield/Dracula stuff is fun but the other plot felt lacking/weird (trying not to spoil anything).   I left satisfied enough to have used a AMC free ticket on.   

Sketch Hitchcock

• Rep: 168
« Reply #9658 on: April 15, 2023, 10:58:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Hahah yeah there’s like 3 other movies like that she’s been in also.   I guess because she’s sorta distinct looking it’s easier to pick her out. 

Also, it’s sad more people can’t enjoy that “little” cameo in D&D.

Saw Renfield - crowd was eating it up until I realized during the credits it was a bunch of the crew from the makeup SFX department in the crowd.    It’s a serviceable film: the Renfield/Dracula stuff is fun but the other plot felt lacking/weird (trying not to spoil anything).   I left satisfied enough to have used a AMC free ticket on.

Oh I liked the cameo too.  The thing that didn’t make sense was how they escaped the maze (if that’s enough detail for you without getting too spoilery) - that was a little confusing for such a clear and otherwise well plotted popcorn movie.  But there were little kids literally yelling in my ear the whole movie so I may have missed something - parents in LA truly don’t give a shit.

Yeah Renfield’s coming up next.  AMC Stubs is making spring movies fun again, way lower stakes when you can see like 12 a month haha.

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 442
« Reply #9659 on: April 16, 2023, 12:03:43 AM »
Cocaine Bear. Good romp, esp. with all the eating of actors familiar from various TV shows etc.