Author Topic: Skate Shit you've Bought Recently  (Read 988065 times)

Jerrys Kid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 56
Re: Skate Shit you've Bought Recently
« Reply #3900 on: December 15, 2019, 06:10:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

that strip of clear mob is all its good for. my worst mistake was gripping almost an entire deck with that bullshit that turns to a sticker in days
[close]

Black griptape or bust, maybe Grizzly if I'm feeling adventerous.  Shops around here are charging $11 for regular grip and upwards of $20 for graphic griptape from Primitive, Santa Cruz or Spitfire.  Like damn I already spend enough on skateboarding as it is, I'll save my money for boards and shoes.

Clearance Lakai shoes off a China website, made sure it was a vulcanized sole, damn cupsoles don't stand the test of time in the humid tropics.

If someone could help me ID the model, that would be fantastic:

[close]
Lakai Howard Selects. Sorry to be the carrier of bad news but selects aren't very good.
[close]

Guess that's why they were going for $25.  How are they shitty? 

Well, after the DC shoes that fell apart yesterday my standards are pretty low.  The etnies Manara were not great either, got them for free so I ain't complaining.
[close]
You'll see but free is always good.
[close]

What issues did you have with the Marana? It's arguably the best skate shoe of the 2010s, and objectively the most durable.
[close]

I got them free (which is great) but they were 1/2 a size too small while feeling a little loose on the heel and lacking heel support area. The guy who passed them to me probably had them lying around for a while so the sole was splitting from the rest of the shoe.

Not sure if things changed, but the selects were made at a time when Lakai shoes had notoriously bad soles. The upper was typically good, but the glue or whatever they used to put the sole together was Elmer's grade.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1964
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3901 on: December 15, 2019, 07:09:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

that strip of clear mob is all its good for. my worst mistake was gripping almost an entire deck with that bullshit that turns to a sticker in days
[close]

Black griptape or bust, maybe Grizzly if I'm feeling adventerous.  Shops around here are charging $11 for regular grip and upwards of $20 for graphic griptape from Primitive, Santa Cruz or Spitfire.  Like damn I already spend enough on skateboarding as it is, I'll save my money for boards and shoes.

Clearance Lakai shoes off a China website, made sure it was a vulcanized sole, damn cupsoles don't stand the test of time in the humid tropics.

If someone could help me ID the model, that would be fantastic:

[close]
Lakai Howard Selects. Sorry to be the carrier of bad news but selects aren't very good.
[close]

Guess that's why they were going for $25.  How are they shitty? 

Well, after the DC shoes that fell apart yesterday my standards are pretty low.  The etnies Manara were not great either, got them for free so I ain't complaining.
[close]
You'll see but free is always good.
[close]

What issues did you have with the Marana? It's arguably the best skate shoe of the 2010s, and objectively the most durable.
[close]

I got them free (which is great) but they were 1/2 a size too small while feeling a little loose on the heel and lacking heel support area. The guy who passed them to me probably had them lying around for a while so the sole was splitting from the rest of the shoe.
[close]

Not sure if things changed, but the selects were made at a time when Lakai shoes had notoriously bad soles. The upper was typically good, but the glue or whatever they used to put the sole together was Elmer's grade.

Good news is that the seller ran out of stock and couldn't process the order. Sticking to newer shoes from reputed brands from now on.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3902 on: December 16, 2019, 03:34:01 AM »

The tongues are huge but the heel and arch support feel so good.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

FrankSweat

• Rep: 0
« Reply #3903 on: December 16, 2019, 03:41:11 AM »

It's a process to get used to the tongues. I was between that colorway and the leather one but I got the leather instead. Comfy af

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3904 on: December 16, 2019, 03:45:43 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

It's a process to get used to the tongues. I was between that colorway and the leather one but I got the leather instead. Comfy af
You have 4 options:
- cut it
- fold it
- forget about it
- hide it in your pants
In my case is a mix between 3 and 4
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3905 on: December 16, 2019, 04:28:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
You have 4 options:
- cut it
- fold it
- forget about it
- hide it in your pants

I'm usually in shorts (tropical weather) so #4 is out. I'll try #2 for a start.

Either way I'm psyched to ride Busenitz's shoe, I'm think the shoes upgraded my bearings from ABEC 7 to 11.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3906 on: December 16, 2019, 04:35:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
You have 4 options:
- cut it
- fold it
- forget about it
- hide it in your pants
[close]

I'm usually in shorts (tropical weather) so #4 is out. I'll try #2 for a start.

Either way I'm psyched to ride Busenitz's shoe, I'm think the shoes upgraded my bearings from ABEC 7 to 11.
They're super nice, last ones I skated were the mid ones. Never tried them on shorts tho, I think I'll feel like TX which is not a bad thing at all
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

shingles

• Rep: -61
« Reply #3907 on: December 16, 2019, 06:00:24 AM »
Ordered some Fixer Boards... 9.75 Pig Tanks
I fucking love big boards and Fixer is a very sick company with some good art direction
support your local ramp-tramp

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 149
« Reply #3908 on: December 16, 2019, 07:27:24 AM »
To all my short wb dudes: the new 917 slicks (all prefaced with "Cyrus Matrix" i assume he designed them) are all 14.19. that's incredibly reasonable from a company that traffics in pool-board size pro models
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

FrankSweat

• Rep: 0
« Reply #3909 on: December 16, 2019, 09:01:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
You have 4 options:
- cut it
- fold it
- forget about it
- hide it in your pants

I really like the long tongue, I used to play soccer and I had some Adidas Copa Mundial and Nike Tiempos that had some folding tongues. Either way they are sick, now I understand why they've lasted this much in the market, I wish they'd re-release the original black and gold stripes colorway.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #3910 on: December 16, 2019, 10:22:51 AM »
To all my short wb dudes: the new 917 slicks (all prefaced with "Cyrus Matrix" i assume he designed them) are all 14.19. that's incredibly reasonable from a company that traffics in pool-board size pro models

Hot post! Thanks.

And for reals their stuff was all long before, rocket everything

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #3911 on: December 16, 2019, 04:59:18 PM »

And a slick too, this is interesting

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #3912 on: December 16, 2019, 05:49:39 PM »

what do you consider pool size? i rarely see them put shit out above 8.5
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #3913 on: December 16, 2019, 06:38:29 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think he was talking about the WB's. They had a long succession of drops with anything above an 8.25 having a 14.75 + wheelbase. I think the Olson shaped decks even had 15" wheelbases.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #3914 on: December 16, 2019, 09:51:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I think he was talking about the WB's. They had a long succession of drops with anything above an 8.25 having a 14.75 + wheelbase. I think the Olson shaped decks even had 15" wheelbases.

ok i see now. half an inch smaller than what i like but i might still have to throw confetti at an 8.5 with a 14.75 wb. has potential to be a good setup
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

palelight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #3915 on: December 17, 2019, 02:05:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

ok i see now. half an inch smaller than what i like but i might still have to throw confetti at an 8.5 with a 14.75 wb. has potential to be a good setup

Shop near me had this guy a few months ago. I loved the full nose and the slight taper toward the tail but I was contemplating a truck switch at the time and couldn't deal with the wheelbase. A lot of the Max Palmer decks have the same 8.5/14.75" specs.
https://peopleskateandsnowboard.com/products/call-me-917-max-drippy-deck-8-5

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3916 on: December 17, 2019, 03:56:31 AM »
Walked around 4km both ways to find a skateshop in Australia

Arrow 52mm 83a wheels, Australian brand for $25, Spitfires were going for around twice the price.
19mm wide with a "Straight Shot Cut", which should resemble a Spitfire Radial / Radial Slim but just 1mm wider , which I was looking to try. Don't have a tape measure handy, can't wait to try them this weekend.

https://www.basementskate.com.au/arrow-shiva-52mm-83b-skateboard-wheels/
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 04:07:50 AM by rocklobster »
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #3917 on: December 17, 2019, 07:46:37 AM »
In case you're curious about foreign brands:

Sunrise stated as an 8.5 but is actually 8.475. Length is 31.875 which is kinda scary since I'm used to 32.25-32.5
Love the graphic and is the first time a Chilean company offers different shapes, this one is a square one and it looks like a Hockey board.
Can't wait to try it.
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1100
« Reply #3918 on: December 17, 2019, 08:33:20 AM »
Great for holding my nintendo switch

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #3919 on: December 17, 2019, 06:37:22 PM »
went christmas shopping for myself and had to put on for some NYC brands (and dime). expensive but worth it. definitely not skating in this shit unless its time to flex for the camera

yes, i wear black almost exclusively
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 06:40:52 PM by off »

SWPhillyFloater

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 63
« Reply #3920 on: December 18, 2019, 08:38:13 AM »
Just got the new Passport video and a bronze 56K hat from Season’s online store. If my local doesn’t have something I always just get it from Seasons since they ship stuff really fast.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #3921 on: December 19, 2019, 04:11:43 PM »
Just got some ATG's, couldn't find 5.75 bit at least got a good deal on 5.5
Super stoked.
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #3922 on: December 19, 2019, 04:16:58 PM »
Just got some ATG's, couldn't find 5.75 bit at least got a good deal on 5.5
Super stoked.

I had the atg maglites and I actually really enjoyed them. Planing a second bigger setup and think I might put the biggest set on it

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #3923 on: December 20, 2019, 09:03:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
You have 4 options:
- cut it
- fold it
- forget about it
- hide it in your pants
does cutting the tongue help w it slipping to each side? The long tongue is a no go for me.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #3924 on: December 21, 2019, 03:42:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
You have 4 options:
- cut it
- fold it
- forget about it
- hide it in your pants
[close]
does cutting the tongue help w it slipping to each side? The long tongue is a no go for me.
Nope, it doesn't :(
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 343
« Reply #3925 on: December 22, 2019, 06:18:26 PM »
Just got my second pair of these. Love em. Really good skate shoe

Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

5teve.0h

• Rep: 24
« Reply #3926 on: December 23, 2019, 02:22:59 AM »
Just picked up some of the Sunday 6 Balls.
Will probably set them up tomorrow.
Interested to see how they feel compared to the Bones Big Balls.

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 343
« Reply #3927 on: December 23, 2019, 04:27:29 PM »
Just picked up some of the Sunday 6 Balls.
Will probably set them up tomorrow.
Interested to see how they feel compared to the Bones Big Balls.

nice! are they only in Aus? I imagine if they're china made they come from the same factory as the big balls. I ordered a set of the big balls but wont be able to get em til i visit the States next month. the sunday x thunder thing was also cool!
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #3928 on: December 24, 2019, 04:48:38 PM »
Came up on this for 20 bucks, stoked!

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1382
« Reply #3929 on: December 24, 2019, 06:09:30 PM »
Damn, that's nice Monk. You deserve it!

I bought way too much shit these last two months. To recap - Bones Swiss 6, Bones 1/8 riser pads, Spitfire 99d 52 mm conical full fawmula faws, Ace 33s raw, Girl x Kodak board, Chocolate Yonnie windowsill board, Scumco logo board, Pops' last Chocolate board, a Jenny liquid lunch deck, and then four pairs of shoes - DC Butter Goods x Kalis, Converse Fastbreaks, Lakai Newports (rose blossoms colourway), and Supra Elevates. Planning on setting up the Scumco with my current trucks and wheels, and then the Yonnie as a totally new setup with the Aces and Swiss 6.

I'm still not done, either. I guess it's to make up for stretching dollars the last few months and then getting a new job, plus I can't spend too much on myself from 2020 onwards with my new budget. May as well take advantage of the sales around this time.