Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 366102 times)

Schinken and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #750 on: June 06, 2020, 08:18:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Crazy for running 56mm conical fulls with 6.1? Got supercush 97a in them
[close]

Got some slightly worn 56mm conical fulls on 5.2s, which are the same height. Definitely works, but is pretty maxed out.
Some smart poster once showed how effective risers were for larger wheels. 1/8” riser is something like 3mm I think. That’d be getting up there tho. Bones used to have (maybe still does) 1/16” riser, and that’d be real decent imo.

[close]
ok thanks. Got the harder bushings in to run them not too tight, but still firmer, and want to run 56mm to maximize riding surface width for crust. Have 54mm conical full too but figured start and end with 56 and let em wear down. Thoughts
[close]

I run 5.8s that are so loose they shake freely on an 8.3 with 58 mm classics so surely you’ll be fine.  I do have wheel wells but with how loose my trucks are I’d bet you’d have plenty of clearance.
solid. Classic shape + wheel wheels giving you more room for error though too.

FleeceFlannel

« Reply #751 on: June 06, 2020, 08:26:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Crazy for running 56mm conical fulls with 6.1? Got supercush 97a in them
[close]

Got some slightly worn 56mm conical fulls on 5.2s, which are the same height. Definitely works, but is pretty maxed out.
Some smart poster once showed how effective risers were for larger wheels. 1/8” riser is something like 3mm I think. That’d be getting up there tho. Bones used to have (maybe still does) 1/16” riser, and that’d be real decent imo.

[close]
ok thanks. Got the harder bushings in to run them not too tight, but still firmer, and want to run 56mm to maximize riding surface width for crust. Have 54mm conical full too but figured start and end with 56 and let em wear down. Thoughts
[close]

I run 5.8s that are so loose they shake freely on an 8.3 with 58 mm classics so surely you’ll be fine.  I do have wheel wells but with how loose my trucks are I’d bet you’d have plenty of clearance.
[close]
solid. Classic shape + wheel wheels giving you more room for error though too.

For sure! But I just figure if I can go that big on wheels and that loose on trucks you’d be chillin with your setup.  Hope it works for you dude!  I’ve never ridden ventures in the 20 something years of skating until recently and I’m really stoked on them.

Murge

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #752 on: June 06, 2020, 08:55:16 AM »
So far I’ve had 2 short 20-30 minute sessions on the 5.6 raws. I fully buy into the hype. Coming off indys. They don’t feel much different. Except more stable. I also feel my board flips better but that may be coming from Ti 149s to 5.6s ? I don’t get the hate on the turning mine was so loose I had to tighten them. I’m a bigger guy and was on bones hardcore. So that may be it but I def have 2 or 3 threads exposed now. But I love the turn. I feel kinda surfy on them which I wouldn’t expect.
I’m running  it in 8.25 aws visitor. I think 14.25 wheel base and f4 radials. But legit love the ventures. Bout to set up an AH with the eagle that is 8.28 14.12 wheelbase. I chipped the hell out of the nose today. But I’m loving them.

Do the bushings stiffen up? I’m worried I should left them alone a bit and seen what happens.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #753 on: June 06, 2020, 10:12:01 AM »
Has anyone who has ran both the forged and cast give me an idea on any feel difference while skating them? Got some ti’s coming and planned on just putting the hangars on cast plates but sorta am curious about a slightly lower truck but don’t want to take the wheelbase hit. Any comparison is welcomed
I skate both: I have Worrest V-Lights 5.8 on my 8.5 popsicle and Kader 6.1 cast on my Franky football 9.125 shape.
The cast ones feel nicer for whatever reason to me, forged ones are also really good too. You can't go wrong with any of them but if I have to choose probably I would go for cast
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 773
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #754 on: June 06, 2020, 10:47:25 AM »
So far I’ve had 2 short 20-30 minute sessions on the 5.6 raws. I fully buy into the hype. Coming off indys. They don’t feel much different. Except more stable. I also feel my board flips better but that may be coming from Ti 149s to 5.6s ? I don’t get the hate on the turning mine was so loose I had to tighten them. I’m a bigger guy and was on bones hardcore. So that may be it but I def have 2 or 3 threads exposed now. But I love the turn. I feel kinda surfy on them which I wouldn’t expect.
I’m running  it in 8.25 aws visitor. I think 14.25 wheel base and f4 radials. But legit love the ventures. Bout to set up an AH with the eagle that is 8.28 14.12 wheelbase. I chipped the hell out of the nose today. But I’m loving them.

Do the bushings stiffen up? I’m worried I should left them alone a bit and seen what happens.

I got my first pair of Venture 5.6 Hi. I feel the same with the bolded parts. I don't feel the explosive pop Venture is said to have? Either this is only something the lows have, or I just still need to get used to the trucks (coming from Ace/Indy).

Junglist

« Reply #755 on: June 06, 2020, 01:06:52 PM »
I love my 5.6 raws so much, probably my favorite truck I’ve skated, but I want something to go with an 8 and to keep it a bit more street than my all around setup. Should I go raw 5.2 lo or 5.2 forged? Personally I don’t care about weight.

sadnocomply

• Rep: 151
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #756 on: June 06, 2020, 01:39:22 PM »
I love my 5.6 raws so much, probably my favorite truck I’ve skated, but I want something to go with an 8 and to keep it a bit more street than my all around setup. Should I go raw 5.2 lo or 5.2 forged? Personally I don’t care about weight.
i would say depends on the wheels you run

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #757 on: June 06, 2020, 02:26:20 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I got my first pair of Venture 5.6 Hi. I feel the same with the bolded parts. I don't feel the explosive pop Venture is said to have? Either this is only something the lows have, or I just still need to get used to the trucks (coming from Ace/Indy).
I really think you will when you find the right board. I was under the impression that more flat before the nose/tail increases the good pop, but I just threw my 5.8s on an old board with no flat and steep kicks and it was so good. Or maybe it really doesn't matter and I just had a good day (unlikely)

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1026
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #758 on: June 06, 2020, 02:40:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
I really think you will when you find the right board. I was under the impression that more flat before the nose/tail increases the good pop, but I just threw my 5.8s on an old board with no flat and steep kicks and it was so good. Or maybe it really doesn't matter and I just had a good day (unlikely)

Steep kicks has always produced great pop for me (showing my age here, but probably because I skated H-Street boards almost excursively during that era); that's why I like Dwindle boards so much. Steep, stiff and crispy.

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #759 on: June 06, 2020, 04:10:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

Steep kicks has always produced great pop for me (showing my age here, but probably because I skated H-Street boards almost excursively during that era); that's why I like Dwindle boards so much. Steep, stiff and crispy.
I'm pretty sure I'm around the same age so I understand exactly what your talking about with the old H-Street boards. I don't know what companies use Dwindle nowadays but I will definitely look into them in the future.

Banned from the room

« Reply #760 on: June 08, 2020, 12:29:59 PM »
First board I ran my 5.6s was the green krooked 8.5 with a 55 cclassic . I was using ace 44s with 56 conical fulls same deck before that. But I had to get used to it asap 

Massive change in wheel base and turn but it worked with a top bushing swap.

As long as you keep the stock barrels you can run both trucks very loose with big wheels magic carpet.
I did add a riser to the ace set up. With a classic shape at 56 I think it wouldn't be needed.

I'm gonna get 58s next on my ventures I hope. 101a radial would be the shit in a 58

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1116
« Reply #761 on: June 08, 2020, 12:32:49 PM »
First board I ran my 5.6s was the green krooked 8.5 with a 55 cclassic . I was using ace 44s with 56 conical fulls same deck before that. But I had to get used to it asap 

As long as you keep the stock barrels you can run both trucks very loose with big wheels magic carpet.
I did add a riser to the ace set up. With a classic shape at 56 I think it wouldn't be needed.

I'm gonna get 58s next on my ventures I hope. 101a radial would be the shit in a 58

My switch tre dreams on hold. Had to settle for regs. Struggling

Banned from the room

« Reply #762 on: June 08, 2020, 12:52:29 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

word up

Word up. I got to focus more on regular Tre again lol. I also want higher speed switch Ollies. That's the focus of the summer.

I'm on a mission for speed and Im going to master laybacks this fall. Switch Tre by new years?

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #763 on: June 08, 2020, 01:09:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
word up

Word up. I got to focus more on regular Tre again lol. I also want higher speed switch Ollies. That's the focus of the summer.

I'm on a mission for speed and Im going to master laybacks this fall. Switch Tre by new years?

Switch tre by New Years confirmed.
I’m highly backing the higher speed aspect. I’ve always been a low speed whittler, but it’s getting worse. My one good slam the other day was from what up until that moment felt like a good switch ollie to wheelbite.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #764 on: June 08, 2020, 06:52:29 PM »
Just set up the 5.6 ti with my cast plates and I noticed the weight difference more than I thought I would. Cast plate ti axel might be the perfect venture, I felt the difference on flip tricks for sure. Very stoked on the combo

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #765 on: June 08, 2020, 07:06:44 PM »
Just set up the 5.6 ti with my cast plates and I noticed the weight difference more than I thought I would. Cast plate ti axel might be the perfect venture, I felt the difference on flip tricks for sure. Very stoked on the combo

Goddamn it

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #766 on: June 08, 2020, 07:23:01 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Goddamn it
Should add it’s on a 8.1 primitive.. just to add to the temptation for you

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1974
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #767 on: June 08, 2020, 07:24:38 PM »

Glad that worked out for you. I got a 5.8 Ti and 5.6 V-Hollow, swapping the baseplates out in future setups.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Goddamn it
[close]

What are the dimensions on that 8.1? Primitive locked their website behind a registration wall, I can't access it from overseas.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #768 on: June 08, 2020, 07:26:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Glad that worked out for you. I got a 5.8 Ti and 5.6 V-Hollow, swapping the baseplates out in future setups.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Goddamn it
[close]
[close]

What are the dimensions on that 8.1? Primitive locked their website behind a registration wall, I can't access it from overseas.
Damn that’s whack.
8.1x 31.7x 14.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1026
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #769 on: June 08, 2020, 08:11:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
I'm pretty sure I'm around the same age so I understand exactly what your talking about with the old H-Street boards. I don't know what companies use Dwindle nowadays but I will definitely look into them in the future.

Outside of in-house brands (Blind, Almost, Darkstar and Enjoi), there's Palace and NHS SC/Creatures (rumor has it Zero sometimes still as well); thing is SC/Creature does their own shit under Dwindle and doesn't use the Dwindle molds or shapes.

I just picked up a palace board (didn't know they were Dwindle) but knew it right away, steep kicks, stiff and crispy.

https://dwindle.com/catalogs

It used to be that you had to sort through the brands to find what you wanted. Steep Kicks' and 'Full Concave' were usually only found in Blind and Darkstar drops, occasionally you'd find them in Enjoi. Nowadays, it's either 'Mellow Concave' or 'Full Concave" for the previous brands and I've no clue if they're all steep kicks or if mellow is mellow and Full is full all around when it comes to kicks and 'cave.

However, Madness is the oddball now as they use various combos of medium concave, mellow concave, mellow kicks or steep kicks in their recent drop.

For me it was finding the: Impact lights, FULL Shape, Steep Kicks and FULL Concave; I'm still sitting on an 8.3 (on ice) that matches all of those requirements lol.  It's like waiting for REAL to do a slick, Low-Pro II twin-tail SE...

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1974
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #770 on: June 08, 2020, 09:51:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

For me it was finding the: Impact lights, FULL Shape, Steep Kicks and FULL Concave; I'm still sitting on an 8.3 (on ice) that matches all of those requirements lol.  It's like waiting for REAL to do a slick, Low-Pro II twin-tail SE...

Why the love for Dwindle? Last Darkstar I rode a few months ago felt pretty horrible, maybe the dimensions were too tiny for me at 8 x 31.5 x 14. It was regular logo board, so the quality could have been slightly worse.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

411bandit

• Rep: -42
« Reply #771 on: June 09, 2020, 02:17:59 AM »
I'm skating an old Palace on my 5.2 lows and it's amazing. I never thought I'd love dwindle wood so much. It's an amazing combo. I know this size ain't for everybody but it's spot on with the ventures.

Width 7.75”
Length 31.25”
Wheelbase 13.8

Battery Aziz

• Rep: -1
« Reply #772 on: June 09, 2020, 09:25:20 AM »
Wanting to give Ventures another shot but cannot find the 5.2 hi polished hollow axle/kingpin with the purple bushings for the life of me.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 696
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #773 on: June 09, 2020, 06:02:13 PM »
I religiously ride the 32x8.25 DLX shape with a 14.38 WB (II and III are my faves. IV is a tad too flat, I is a tad too steep). 144 Indy ti, and 53mm Spit Classics.

I hate everything NHS and have wanted to get off Indy for years, but have yet to find another truck that I really like.

Aces do turn great, but they are heavy as fuck, and the shorter wheel base really makes my feet feel too cramped/less stable, esp on any 1-truck grind (5-0, nose grinds, Smith, etc). Ollies feel like I am loosing power, as if swinging a baseball bat while holding the middle of bat rather than the end. 

Thunders have a much slower/sluggish turn. The longer wheelbase is noticeable on flip tricks/more effort, but this is somewhat off-set by lighter weight. Lower height makes pop feel wonky. All of these issue I can somewhat deal with. My major sticking point with Thunders is that inane wheel/baseplate clearance issue. I don't want to be forced to use turbostupid amounts of wax on a ledge to get a decent nose/tail slide without the wheels sticking.

So...I'm thinking of revisiting Ventures. It's been a minute. After reading everything in this thread, I'm thinking about 5.6 cast. I don't want to go too crazy with extending the wheelbase (e.g. forged, but lighter would be nice).

Has anyone gone from a 14.38 with Indys to Ventures? if so, what were your thoughts? I didn't seem to see anyone mention that specific scenario in the previous 20+ pages of this thread.   
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

sadnocomply

• Rep: 151
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #774 on: June 09, 2020, 06:06:25 PM »
Wanting to give Ventures another shot but cannot find the 5.2 hi polished hollow axle/kingpin with the purple bushings for the life of me.
not what you asked for but a good alternative

https://libraryskateshop.com/products/venture-v-light-trucks?_pos=6&_sid=341aa6005&_ss=r

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 522
« Reply #775 on: June 09, 2020, 06:08:11 PM »
I religiously ride the 32x8.25 DLX shape with a 14.38 WB (II and III are my faves. IV is a tad too flat, I is a tad too steep). 144 Indy ti, and 53mm Spit Classics.

I hate everything NHS and have wanted to get off Indy for years, but have yet to find another truck that I really like.

Aces do turn great, but they are heavy as fuck, and the shorter wheel base really makes my feet feel too cramped/less stable, esp on any 1-truck grind (5-0, nose grinds, Smith, etc). Ollies feel like I am loosing power, as if swinging a baseball bat while holding the middle of bat rather than the end. 

Thunders have a much slower/sluggish turn. The longer wheelbase is noticeable on flip tricks/more effort, but this is somewhat off-set by lighter weight. Lower height makes pop feel wonky. All of these issue I can somewhat deal with. My major sticking point with Thunders is that inane wheel/baseplate clearance issue. I don't want to be forced to use turbostupid amounts of wax on a ledge to get a decent nose/tail slide without the wheels sticking.

So...I'm thinking of revisiting Ventures. It's been a minute. After reading everything in this thread, I'm thinking about 5.6 cast. I don't want to go too crazy with extending the wheelbase (e.g. forged, but lighter would be nice).

Has anyone gone from a 14.38 with Indys to Ventures? if so, what were your thoughts? I didn't seem to see anyone mention that specific scenario in the previous 20+ pages of this thread.

I went from Indy tis to Venture v-lights on a 32.125 x 14.5wb. It was a noticeable difference, doing stuff took more conscious effort and the pop felt heftier but resulted in good yield and was manageable for sure. Though I ended up still going down in length and wheelbase a bit to even it out. I'm happy on 14.25 wheelbase now for the most part.

YungJugg

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 229
« Reply #776 on: June 09, 2020, 06:22:08 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I went from Indy tis to Venture v-lights on a 32.125 x 14.5wb. It was a noticeable difference, doing stuff took more conscious effort and the pop felt heftier but resulted in good yield and was manageable for sure. Though I ended up still going down in length and wheelbase a bit to even it out. I'm happy on 14.25 wheelbase now for the most part.

Just curious, what was the 32.125 x 14.5 board? Polar?

Anyone running 5.0s? Have a pair thats probably 15 years old and I wanna show em love, not sure if 7.75 would magic carpet too hard.

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #777 on: June 09, 2020, 06:25:19 PM »
Tossing up switching from 44's to 5.8s on my new board, AH Brown Bomber 8.8 x 32 x 14.25.

How do you guys find them on transition? Any better or worse than say Indy or Ace? I've been so used to these two brands anything else is a scary change for me

midtownatl

• Rep: -10
« Reply #778 on: June 09, 2020, 06:31:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

I heard mixed things about DSM lately but the Madness brand (DSM) has some sick bigger shapes and I just got one in resin-7 it’s incredibly crisp and tight so far.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #779 on: June 09, 2020, 08:18:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Goddamn it
[close]
[close]

[close]
Damn that’s whack.
8.1x 31.7x 14.

Thanks for coming thru!
Last time I checked I thought their 8.1 was long, longer wb.