Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 364308 times)

mstuntbless and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

shawngreg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 63
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #3990 on: February 16, 2023, 09:08:48 AM »
anyone skate their ventures with Baker decks?  i cant believe it but i have never skated a Baker deck in my life and i'm 36.  i've been curious about the b2 shape, but really am open to whatever.  insight bros?

hiljentaa

• Rep: 317
« Reply #3991 on: February 16, 2023, 09:14:47 AM »
I have an 8.475 OG shape that I first tried to ride on Indy Mids but the pop was anemic. I tried 5.8s on it, and it took it from unskateable to great.

I haven't skated the B2 shapes yet, but they would probably be great with Ventures with the longer lengths. I really want to try the 8.125 B2 on 5.6 Ventures.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #3992 on: February 16, 2023, 09:27:49 AM »
I have an 8.475 OG shape that I first tried to ride on Indy Mids but the pop was anemic. I tried 5.8s on it, and it took it from unskateable to great.
My favorite combo of all time. That specific Baker size and shape plus 5.8s just feels so good. I also thought indys made the pop feel kinda off at times on that board, but with 5.8s it feels solid.

Creachteach

• Rep: 120
« Reply #3993 on: February 16, 2023, 09:46:03 AM »

If people think your indys are tight, you'll probably be fine with venture stock.

Yeah, but I already run one pair on super hard yellows, and another on Bones Hard.
Will definitely give stock a chance, before fucking.

1. I like a long board with a short wheelbase, ideally 14.25 or less but I'll live with 14.38 if the deck is longer than 32. Alien Workshop / Habitat decks pair nicely with Ventures, I like that the 8.25 / 8.5 have the same length (32.25) and wheelbase (14.25). The use a mix of BBS for pro boards and DSM for team boards, so check out the dimensions on their websites before buying.

2. 53-54mm are fine for me without risers, I don't ride any bigger but I'm a small Asian, so the bigger guys can chime in.

3. They fit Bones but stock feels the most stable for me, but I'd suspect you should go aftermarket Indy medium hard or hard if you're bigger. The stock ones start out stiff by break in within the first session.

I’ll probably want a board that isn’t breaking 32.5”, as it’ll surpass my inseam. I’ll keep my eye out when shopping. Good answers all around.

1. I’m currently riding the 8.75 Quasi with V-light 5.8, I think it’s 14.5, it’s my second 8.75 quasi, it’s been great.

2. I’ve been riding 56mm f4 97a, no issues on the v-lights no risers, their down to 54mm now, no problems - stable and carve/turn good. I’m 6.2 200lbs.

3. Agree with @rocklobster - stock is good, bones just never felt right to me, now I stick with cylinder and it’s best. I crank them a down to a few threads showing in front, none/one in the back (Im a back foot stearer). And yeah, if needs swap out for harder aftermarket, even just the bottom bushing, that works for me, still can swerve but stable.

I’ll check out the quasis for sure.
I can’t run big wheels on my cast Indy’s. We’re the same height, im just much fatter.
I’ll try stock first, then harder aftermarket. I have 2-3 threads showing on both my set of Indy’s with 96a bushings.
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

FrenchSkater

• Rep: 28
« Reply #3994 on: February 16, 2023, 10:27:09 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
My favorite combo of all time. That specific Baker size and shape plus 5.8s just feels so good. I also thought indys made the pop feel kinda off at times on that board, but with 5.8s it feels solid.

Can't wait to try my baker 8.125 OG shape with my ventures 5.2 high raws, or maybe with my second pair, the V-lights for a very responsive pop !

Your comments reassure me for the Baker and Venture combination  :D

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #3995 on: February 16, 2023, 10:33:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Does Ben Degroes skate the low hollows?
He did a review on the hollows four years ago
[close]

Yeah it was the 5.2 LO V-Hollow
[close]

Yeah, but I think the latest are just regular cast lo, no hollow anything.

[close]

There’s at least a hollow kingpin in the video thumbnail.
[close]

That's true.....but they're Indy Hollows. Ben switches over to Venture Lo at the end of the video, and says he'll stick with them to the axle, seems to be skating them in his most recent courthouse video.

Haha, damn. I dunno how I didn’t pay any attention that those are Indys. I’ve even watched the video a while ago. I’ll get my coat…  :-[ :-[ :-[

Ourladyoftheflowers

• Rep: 97
« Reply #3996 on: February 16, 2023, 12:20:42 PM »
Just checking. I’ve had those dlx wood risers for a little over a year and they’re worn to shit. My local doesn’t have em anymore and was gonna grab some risers from the skate warehouse sale. What other risers sit flush with ventures?

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1100
« Reply #3997 on: February 16, 2023, 12:22:48 PM »
Just checking. I’ve had those dlx wood risers for a little over a year and they’re worn to shit. My local doesn’t have em anymore and was gonna grab some risers from the skate warehouse sale. What other risers sit flush with ventures?

pics when you get a chance. I'm curious how they look worn out.

Ourladyoftheflowers

• Rep: 97
« Reply #3998 on: February 16, 2023, 12:38:48 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

pics when you get a chance. I'm curious how they look worn out.

Too many nose and tail slides, I usually wear the baseplate to the pivot cup so the corners of the baseplates dig into the riser. Adore the risers but I broke a kingpin and didn’t have spare parts to Frankenstein so set up a fresh set and the corners front of the risers are so worn they don’t extend to the end of the baseplate.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #3999 on: February 16, 2023, 01:26:09 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Was hoping you’d chime in, I remember this was your go to

Baker boards have always been good for me. Except I’m the boss’ age and sometimes felt a little silly. I’m of the age where I should not skate, or skate a more mature brand, idk. (The antwuan deck with the cuffs!? I had it. Fucked. Skated great tho).
The b16 shape was so sick, I would love one that was 8” ish, same shape. That c shape Reynolds was on looked sick, but I never saw one in real life.

I like ventures on all decks, but generally more mellow.

FrenchSkater

• Rep: 28
« Reply #4000 on: February 16, 2023, 01:30:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Was hoping you’d chime in, I remember this was your go to

Baker boards have always been good for me. Except I’m the boss’ age and sometimes felt a little silly. I’m of the age where I should not skate, or skate a more mature brand, idk. (The antwuan deck with the cuffs!? I had it. Fucked. Skated great tho).
The b16 shape was so sick, I would love one that was 8” ish, same shape. That c shape Reynolds was on looked sick, but I never saw one in real life.

I like ventures on all decks, but generally more mellow.

What is exactly the B16 Shape ? I've always wondered that.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 953
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #4001 on: February 16, 2023, 03:56:02 PM »
Expand Quote

If people think your indys are tight, you'll probably be fine with venture stock.
[close]

Yeah, but I already run one pair on super hard yellows, and another on Bones Hard.

Expand Quote
1. I like a long board with a short wheelbase, ideally 14.25 or less but I'll live with 14.38 if the deck is longer than 32. Alien Workshop / Habitat decks pair nicely with Ventures, I like that the 8.25 / 8.5 have the same length (32.25) and wheelbase (14.25). The use a mix of BBS for pro boards and DSM for team boards, so check out the dimensions on their websites before buying.

2. 53-54mm are fine for me without risers, I don't ride any bigger but I'm a small Asian, so the bigger guys can chime in.

3. They fit Bones but stock feels the most stable for me, but I'd suspect you should go aftermarket Indy medium hard or hard if you're bigger. The stock ones start out stiff by break in within the first session.
[close]

I’ll probably want a board that isn’t breaking 32.5”, as it’ll surpass my inseam. I’ll keep my eye out when shopping. Good answers all around.

Expand Quote

1. I’m currently riding the 8.75 Quasi with V-light 5.8, I think it’s 14.5, it’s my second 8.75 quasi, it’s been great.

2. I’ve been riding 56mm f4 97a, no issues on the v-lights no risers, their down to 54mm now, no problems - stable and carve/turn good. I’m 6.2 200lbs.

3. Agree with @rocklobster - stock is good, bones just never felt right to me, now I stick with cylinder and it’s best. I crank them a down to a few threads showing in front, none/one in the back (Im a back foot stearer). And yeah, if needs swap out for harder aftermarket, even just the bottom bushing, that works for me, still can swerve but stable.
[close]

I can’t run big wheels on my cast Indy’s. We’re the same height, im just much fatter.
I’ll try stock first, then harder aftermarket. I have 2-3 threads showing on both my set of Indy’s with 96a bushings.

I would just move the broken in Indy bushings over to the new trucks. Venture is the same size as Indy Genuine parts. The stocks are usually fine for everyone but here always Green Bait and Tackle if you want a clean classic look. They're 92 or 94a and they're the sick solid green.
Bait and Tackle seem to always hold up better than the stock bushings too.

... I ride a 58mm og classic and I recently started using a 3 ply riser just to have more sick green venture product under my feet. Without risers works fine with 58s and the cut bushing lowering kit.

I need green pivot cups someday.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4002 on: February 16, 2023, 04:23:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I would just move the broken in Indy bushings over to the new trucks. Venture is the same size as Indy Genuine parts. The stocks are usually fine for everyone but here always Green Bait and Tackle if you want a clean classic look. They're 92 or 94a and they're the sick solid green.

... I ride a 58mm og classic and I recently started using a 3 ply riser just to have more sick green venture product under my feet. Without risers works fine with 58s and the cut bushing lowering kit.

Oooooooof green pivots are so nice! Day dreaming of some Shao type of shit

burner

• Rep: 94
« Reply #4003 on: February 16, 2023, 07:30:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Oooooooof green pivots are so nice! Day dreaming of some Shao type of shit

They’re a lighter green, but still Riptides ride and look great in Venture, works for me.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4004 on: February 16, 2023, 08:43:36 PM »
35th ave x venture
5.2, 5.6, 5.8 hi
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4005 on: February 16, 2023, 08:53:00 PM »
35th ave x venture
5.2, 5.6, 5.8 hi

Top top shop

Those look nice

burner

« Reply #4006 on: February 16, 2023, 09:13:23 PM »
Expand Quote
35th ave x venture
5.2, 5.6, 5.8 hi

[close]

Top top shop

Those look nice

Wow - love that British racing green baseplate.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4007 on: February 16, 2023, 09:42:39 PM »

Those green bushings are definitely a hit too.

https://venturetrucks.net/videos/venture-x-35th-ave/

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

burner

« Reply #4008 on: February 17, 2023, 12:14:21 AM »
Expand Quote
I thought the kingpin weight savings was higher than axle?

Hollow kingpin solid axle is weird to me. If you're saving weight go for it. And hollow axles are often stronger.
[close]

feels like there'd be more weight saved from the axle than the kingpin, just because of width (even thought the kingpin in thicker) but I guess that also depends on the axle size, wider trucks would be even bigger weight saving with hollow. Do you know the weight of the v-cast hollows? Anyone? I thought I saw a post of the Kader (or Barrow) being weighed but now I can't find it. Anyone know the weight (any size will do).

Just following up on this, out of my own interest, I crunched some numbers to see weight saving of cast Venture with hollow axle (but solid kingpin). I used the weights on Tactics, and just did it for standard 5.2 hi. And also I have v-light,hollow,standard in the 5.2 hi, so I can switch things up to try stuff.
Standard 5.2 hi are 360.9g, and by swapping out the hangers for hollows that number goes down to 343.9g. I reckon that’s a good saving to reduce weight but keep cast feeling, wb and height, considering v-light 5.2 are only 3g lighter at 340.8g. I don’t know how much weight reduction is just the hollow king pin in the v-cast hollow, but surely that’s fuck all, and these are basically cast hollow. I like my trucks under 350g, just make a difference to getting up and flips, so this hack for castes really worked for me (working with the trucks i had).

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4009 on: February 17, 2023, 08:38:27 AM »
does it feel like the tail hits the floor way sooner on the low versions? or is it not really that much of a difference?
I actually really like the height of 53mm it seems pretty perfect - i think every truck brand makes a truck in this height. why do we want to go so low? more stability? will it affect the grinds / slides at all? I feel really happy with the stability and grind / slide action currently, but maybe it can be even better. lol I am back on this 8" setup and everything is just coming up to my feet perfectly after riding beast boards for the past year. I am on a VERY mellow kick / concave board. its an older Paul Shier Isle deck, its really nice.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4010 on: February 17, 2023, 10:01:04 AM »
I think being close to the ground makes you think you can do shit…..too bad I can’t. 

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4011 on: February 17, 2023, 11:17:23 AM »
does it feel like the tail hits the floor way sooner on the low versions? or is it not really that much of a difference?
I actually really like the height of 53mm it seems pretty perfect - i think every truck brand makes a truck in this height. why do we want to go so low? more stability? will it affect the grinds / slides at all? I feel really happy with the stability and grind / slide action currently, but maybe it can be even better. lol I am back on this 8" setup and everything is just coming up to my feet perfectly after riding beast boards for the past year. I am on a VERY mellow kick / concave board. its an older Paul Shier Isle deck, its really nice.

For me, lo trucks do hit quicker. Which I like.
Thinking back, the only setups o ever really liked Indy’s on were with 50mm wheels, negating some of their height.
5.2 lo’s are my favorite truck. Mellow boards are the shit

standfast

• Rep: 19
« Reply #4012 on: February 17, 2023, 11:54:31 AM »
I agree that lower trucks makes you feel more comfortable on the board, especially for those who aren't skating everyday. It helps get that sweet spot when you got things dialed down.

Creachteach

• Rep: 120
« Reply #4013 on: February 17, 2023, 01:20:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Thanks man!

I’ll check out the Green bait and tackle. Looks like they’re 96a. Perfect. Don’t know when I’ll get this setup.
Thinking about 54mm on team standards, or 53mm on v-hollow. Might even go down 1 mm on each.
I have 57mm radials setup on cast Indy 169/9” board, for my transition needs. First couple of seshes I got ejected from wheel bites until I got it dialled.
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #4014 on: February 17, 2023, 03:35:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
Thanks man!

I’ll check out the Green bait and tackle. Looks like they’re 96a. Perfect. Don’t know when I’ll get this setup.
Thinking about 54mm on team standards, or 53mm on v-hollow. Might even go down 1 mm on each.
I have 57mm radials setup on cast Indy 169/9” board, for my transition needs. First couple of seshes I got ejected from wheel bites until I got it dialled.

Fun thing about Ventures is you can actually use the wheelbite like a friction brake if your wheels are hard enough. The geo tends not to automatically pitch you to the concrete like most other trucks.

I’ve been digging them on Quasi, Hockey, and lately a Black Eagle (5.6 Hi). I’ve ridden the 5.2 Lo on a few 8-inch decks recently (used to love them way back when) and they’re like I remember; stable, snappy, lots of fun, just not in quite the same way as the surfier trucks.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4015 on: February 17, 2023, 07:10:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
Thanks man!

[close]

Fun thing about Ventures is you can actually use the wheelbite like a friction brake if your wheels are hard enough. The geo tends not to automatically pitch you to the concrete like most other trucks.

I’ve been digging them on Quasi, Hockey, and lately a Black Eagle (5.6 Hi). I’ve ridden the 5.2 Lo on a few 8-inch decks recently (used to love them way back when) and they’re like I remember; stable, snappy, lots of fun, just not in quite the same way as the surfier trucks.

I always have a thirst, for deck recommendations with 5.2 lo’s.

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #4016 on: February 17, 2023, 08:01:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
Thanks man!

[close]

[close]

I don’t like the way the Hockey 8.0 looks from above (very Band-Aid), but I think it’s pretty fun on the Lo if you like steep kicks but are too old to ride them on normal-height trucks like me.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4017 on: February 18, 2023, 02:13:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
Thanks man!

[close]

[close]

[close]

I don’t like the way the Hockey 8.0 looks from above (very Band-Aid), but I think it’s pretty fun on the Lo if you like steep kicks but are too old to ride them on normal-height trucks like me.

Interesting. Thank you. I am old.

I also do not like the way they look, I prefer the pointer shapes. I had only one fa from bbs and it was unrideable, for me, just so steep. I liked the ps stuff of course, but had a few duds (ps problems).

Thanks

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 276
« Reply #4018 on: February 18, 2023, 04:28:22 AM »

Those green bushings are definitely a hit too.

https://venturetrucks.net/videos/venture-x-35th-ave/

ok i need these and a set of 40mm wheels and NMB bearings

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #4019 on: February 18, 2023, 05:43:05 AM »
6 more hours to get $30 Venture OG Polished Lows in 8".

https://www.skatewarehouse.com/dailydose.html
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021