Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 364292 times)

rikki

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 302
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #4890 on: September 25, 2023, 07:39:59 AM »
I'll try some Venture's with cast then :D It might be the thing that fixes my issues with V-Hollows heftyness. I was under the impression that casts were 55mm tall so... Which is why I got the V-Hollows. And also because they were on sale.

Thanks guys!

Define heftiness in this case? The wb effect is not as drastic as the Illuminati wants you to believe.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #4891 on: September 25, 2023, 07:57:49 AM »
I'll try some Venture's with cast then :D It might be the thing that fixes my issues with V-Hollows heftyness. I was under the impression that casts were 55mm tall so... Which is why I got the V-Hollows. And also because they were on sale.

Thanks guys!

I measured height my cast and forged when they came. Forged were about a 1mm lower. Had 53mm-ish for cast, and 52mm-ish for forged.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

Vintagebody

• Rep: 84
« Reply #4892 on: September 25, 2023, 08:04:44 AM »
Its complicated. It was a "stupid" buy. My main is 8.25-8.38 with Thunder 148 std. I got this idea to try 8.5 decks. Bought a Real board I hate, and then bought these Venture 5.8s on sale because why not? They were 50% off! I also thought Venture casts wore 55mm tall, which I hate. Hence I got the V-Hollows. Dident like them on that Real deck. Put them on my main deck, which is a Polar 8.25, and I do quite enjoy that. But there is some heft to it compared to my Thunders. I also dislike having wider trucks then board, so I dont mind getting a pair of 5.6s. Got a Alltimers 8.3 on its way. I'll see how they are on that. Not skated them with a new board.

The Real deck worked pretty good with Indy's, just like I expected. Mason Silva skates Indy, duh :D

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #4893 on: September 25, 2023, 08:18:22 AM »
Its complicated. It was a "stupid" buy. My main is 8.25-8.38 with Thunder 148 std. I got this idea to try 8.5 decks. Bought a Real board I hate, and then bought these Venture 5.8s on sale because why not? They were 50% off! I also thought Venture casts wore 55mm tall, which I hate. Hence I got the V-Hollows. Dident like them on that Real deck. Put them on my main deck, which is a Polar 8.25, and I do quite enjoy that. But there is some heft to it compared to my Thunders. I also dislike having wider trucks then board, so I dont mind getting a pair of 5.6s. Got a Alltimers 8.3 on its way. I'll see how they are on that. Not skated them with a new board.

The Real deck worked pretty good with Indy's, just like I expected. Mason Silva skates Indy, duh :D

this isn’t really here or there, but for me, ventures can feel ‘larger’ than their same sized indy counterparts. this only bothers me, when i’m skating a larger setup, that is already too big for me. maybe this is all bs in my head. when folks around me went from 5.0 lo’s and 7.5-7.75s, in the early early ish 2000s, to 8s, most went with indy 139s.
anyways, carry on.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #4894 on: September 25, 2023, 08:18:24 AM »

All of this is far too…relatable. :)
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1964
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #4895 on: September 27, 2023, 07:38:33 PM »
I know we say stock is boss but I got a touch of bushing madness setting in - thinking if I should go medium hard 92a (Indy blue) or just tighten my kingpin a little. My red stock bushings are fully broken in and cracked in some areas, still fully functional.

A friend tried my board and noticed my truck would slant to 1 side occasionally before popping. It's helpful for some tricks like FS Flips but on tricks I'm less confident on (BS Flips / 360 flips) I'm more likely to whiff and ghost pop. I noticed for kickflips I have to pressure directly down and be perfectly balanced before popping, but my kickflips are all or nothing. Either knee height and caught nicely, or flopping barely off the ground, nothing in between like a controlled shin high one. Also I can't fakie flip without almost credit carding myself, fakie FS flip is fine.

I'm probably overthinking this.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4896 on: September 27, 2023, 08:54:06 PM »
When you fakie flip push your popping foot forward harder and delay the flick. My fakie flips are my best flip trick and I push my foot almost like a >. Back foot covering the first 2 bolts and a bit more towards the middle and basically fakie ollie timing and flicking when the rear foot is on its way up.

So ya, think about the trick more than your trucks. I'm definitely not the one to talk, but finally coming around the madness corner.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4897 on: September 27, 2023, 09:35:32 PM »
fakie frontside, and frontside flips, are really difficult for me. backside flips too. shit.

i used to feel very confident with fakie flips. one of the few tricks i’d be genuinely surprised/possibly upset if i didn’t land it. now, everything is a hope and a prayer.
i like the trick tip.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4898 on: September 27, 2023, 09:58:44 PM »
When you fakie flip push your popping foot forward harder and delay the flick. My fakie flips are my best flip trick and I push my foot almost like a >. Back foot covering the first 2 bolts and a bit more towards the middle and basically fakie ollie timing and flicking when the rear foot is on its way up.

So ya, think about the trick more than your trucks. I'm definitely not the one to talk, but finally coming around the madness corner.

Yeah it was more the fakie flips that got me thinking about bushing hardness, I'll do the rational thing and tighten up a 1/4 turn before I decide to indulge in bushing madness.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4899 on: September 27, 2023, 10:10:03 PM »
I just wish my nollie flips were half as good as fakie flips and I didn't have to blame my bummed ankle

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4900 on: September 27, 2023, 11:33:15 PM »
I just wish my nollie flips were half as good as fakie flips and I didn't have to blame my bummed ankle

my nollie flips have always been really pedal push. it’s one of the few tricks i learned, when it was kind of cool. most of the other tricks i couldn’t keep up with. i rarely get a real deep flick.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4901 on: September 28, 2023, 12:30:59 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
nollie flips are still cool

my nollie flips have always been really pedal push. it’s one of the few tricks i learned, when it was kind of cool. most of the other tricks i couldn’t keep up with. i rarely get a real deep flick.
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4902 on: September 28, 2023, 12:57:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
nollie flips are still cool

[close]

ha, true. my fault there.
what i was trying to say, is i first learned them, in (aging myself here) 1994. i think. i felt current.
being old, i think about this kind of crap. in truth, people had been doing nollie flips for years, i wasn’t current.

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1433
« Reply #4903 on: September 30, 2023, 09:36:38 AM »
Yo a humble request. If anyone got the dlx lowering kit and didn't enjoy it plz send it to me.

My soul is dying rn. Idk if I can go back.

I was feeling the same. Ground the fuck out of my nuts this morning, they're now ~2.5mm shorter so my trucks can be really loose without ordering the Venture low bushings to faraway lands. Cost €0. Trashed the metal file, but I stole that when I was working for Nestle. Haha, fuck you Nestle, I can not be doxxed.

i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4904 on: September 30, 2023, 10:49:40 AM »
For cheaper than trashing a file you can just order "low profile nylock nuts". I am seeing several pairs for <$10 on Google and they're half the height

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1433
« Reply #4905 on: September 30, 2023, 12:59:39 PM »
For cheaper than trashing a file you can just order "low profile nylock nuts". I am seeing several pairs for <$10 on Google and they're half the height

It's where I got the idea. Unfortunately, they're not available for a reasonable price in Europe.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

Mixed Bag

• Rep: 4
« Reply #4906 on: September 30, 2023, 04:58:43 PM »
“Jam nylock”
“Thin nylock”
And “Shear nylock” also apply to thinner nylon insert nuts.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4907 on: September 30, 2023, 09:13:46 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It's where I got the idea. Unfortunately, they're not available for a reasonable price in Europe.

Well, I'll trade you dozens of low profile lock nuts for your healthcare and rail systems.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1017
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4908 on: October 01, 2023, 04:55:54 PM »
“Jam nylock”
“Thin nylock”
And “Shear nylock” also apply to thinner nylon insert nuts.

Thing is trucks already use them. These are 'thin' by other industry standards, not ours. The only thinner ones I've been able to find are the Ti ones (King and axle); they're light and thin, but if you fux with your trux a lot, the [hard] nylon they use becomes useless in less time than a regular counterpart.

FrenchSkater

• Rep: 28
« Reply #4909 on: October 02, 2023, 12:01:50 AM »
Just out of curiosity, I have the opportunity to have 5.2 lows ventures not too expensive. I skated highs for a long time, and in my first 5 years of skating (I have 15 years of skating), I was only on low Ventures.

My kickflips worked well, now I have lost them for a very long time.. I am currently on indy hollows 139 and I skate 8.0

Do you really think that for a person with small legs, low trucks are better and that it totally changes the success of certain Tricks ?

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4910 on: October 02, 2023, 12:36:44 AM »
Just out of curiosity, I have the opportunity to have 5.2 lows ventures not too expensive. I skated highs for a long time, and in my first 5 years of skating (I have 15 years of skating), I was only on low Ventures.

My kickflips worked well, now I have lost them for a very long time.. I am currently on indy hollows 139 and I skate 8.0

Do you really think that for a person with small legs, low trucks are better and that it totally changes the success of certain Tricks ?

Don't do this to yourself - I think you will feel some difference but it's not game changing or will magically unlock tricks you lost or didn't have in the past. Same logic with the height - board width conversation, Rob Welsh should be riding a 9" given his height but he gave us amazing skating riding a 7.5 - 7.75.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2023, 01:37:55 AM by rocklobster »
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4911 on: October 02, 2023, 01:22:11 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Don't do this to yourself - I think you will feel some difference but it's not game changing or will magically unlock tricks you lost or didn't have in the past. Same conversation with the height - board width conversation, Rob Welsh should be riding a 9" given his height but he gave us amazing skating riding a 7.5 - 7.75.
seconded
the timing will be faster which may help
but if you dont have the trick/technique, you cant “buy it”

going back to what you know probably wouldnt hurt though
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
« Reply #4912 on: October 02, 2023, 09:38:55 AM »
I know it's not what you want...but don't underestimate the whiffed kickfilp of a venture high...not ideal...but it works...

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4913 on: October 02, 2023, 10:21:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Don't do this to yourself - I think you will feel some difference but it's not game changing or will magically unlock tricks you lost or didn't have in the past. Same conversation with the height - board width conversation, Rob Welsh should be riding a 9" given his height but he gave us amazing skating riding a 7.5 - 7.75.
[close]
seconded

@french

i agree with these folks, j.soy too.

now i’ll talk about me, because that’s what i like to do.
i can kickflip on almost every skateboard, eventually. a fair amount of them i’ll kickflip on sooner/better/etc than my own board. it is maddening.
i don’t have good kickflips, but i can do them, so the setup really doesn’t matter.
kickflips on lower trucks, work much much much more consistently for me. i can get higher freak wave kickflips with taller trucks/wheels, and the kickflips i do on lo’s can be ‘muffled’/less …..lofted (please allow me this indulgent word choice, none of my shit is going high).

the shortened version:

if you can kickflip, you will, the gear doesn’t matter.
it is easier for me to kickflip on venture lo’s and thunder 147s, and shorter/narrower boards.

hopefully you are able to find some time to skate, some peace of mind.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 953
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #4914 on: October 02, 2023, 10:48:22 AM »
It's the slow turn. That's why it feels taller than Indys' truck.

I love tall dumpy loose trucks. I've gotten used to my 93a 58mm rat bones 2 though the wheel is deadly on morning dew and when it's just sprinkling out.

Zero traction in damp conditions.

I'll continue in a wheel thread....
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4915 on: October 02, 2023, 11:39:17 AM »
It's the slow turn. That's why it feels taller than Indys' truck.

I love tall dumpy loose trucks. I've gotten used to my 93a 58mm rat bones 2 though the wheel is deadly on morning dew and when it's just sprinkling out.

Zero traction in damp conditions.

I'll continue in a wheel thread....

I think dumpy is the best description yet, really spot on.

rikki

• Rep: 302
« Reply #4916 on: October 02, 2023, 11:50:37 AM »
Just wanted to say that I feel AWAKE.

Having switched to Ventures (currently on 5.6 Hi V-Lights, 8.125 deck, 14.25 wb) has done good things to my skating. I feel like I'm getting old stuff back (had an aeon-long break and started again a couple of years ago) and learning new stuff / personal NBDs faster than before, especially on street. I don't if this is just a coincidence with my progress level in general, but it sure feels like the overall solid feel of the trucks have unlocked something that other trucks haven't been able to, at least not yet. Feels good.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4917 on: October 02, 2023, 07:20:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
seconded

[close]

@french

i agree with these folks, j.soy too.

now i’ll talk about me, because that’s what i like to do.
i can kickflip on almost every skateboard, eventually. a fair amount of them i’ll kickflip on sooner/better/etc than my own board. it is maddening.
i don’t have good kickflips, but i can do them, so the setup really doesn’t matter.
kickflips on lower trucks, work much much much more consistently for me. i can get higher freak wave kickflips with taller trucks/wheels, and the kickflips i do on lo’s can be ‘muffled’/less …..lofted (please allow me this indulgent word choice, none of my shit is going high).

the shortened version:

if you can kickflip, you will, the gear doesn’t matter.
it is easier for me to kickflip on venture lo’s and thunder 147s, and shorter/narrower boards.

hopefully you are able to find some time to skate, some peace of mind.

If you got the trick, then you can do it on whatever setup you're riding, adaptation is part of skateboarding. Don't kid yourself that 1 setup or piece of gear will address the skill gap.

The itch to try something new will always be there, but sticking to what you know works for you trumps changing things up hoping it will unlock new stuff for you. It's how I've managed to avoid stocking decks I may be itching to try but know I won't like. We retrospectively overestimate our abilities especially as we get older, but not losing tricks or not doing tricks as high is part of being an older skater.

I've got so much nostalgia for the 5.2 V-Hollow LOs even though I've been riding the 5.8 TI for so long, I'm sure I'd hate my first few sessions back on them.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Badandoldskater

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 31
« Reply #4918 on: October 02, 2023, 07:54:18 PM »
5.6 v lights comes in standard height and low ? Or do 5.6 not come in lows?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4919 on: October 02, 2023, 08:08:16 PM »
No 5.6 in lows, sadly.