Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 215076 times)

LebowskisRug

Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #630 on: April 03, 2022, 08:39:39 PM »
I've been super bummed on my Old Skools. It makes no sense as I skate the Slip Ons and Half Cabs fine, but the Old Skools feel oddly stiff like the midsole never hugs my foot and the flick is worse somehow.

goodatmeth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #631 on: April 04, 2022, 02:07:05 AM »
When did 99a become the standard

I'd like to take this a bit further, been thinking about this for a long time.

How did we end up with around 52mm standard size, 99a standard durometer? The size seems so arbitrary because if you get used to it you can do everything on 56mm just as well.
How did decks go from huge 10+ inch planks to suddenly 7.5" decks in the 90s? Was it sudden or a smooth transition?
How much experimenting went into ending up at 48-55mm truck height? Were 40mm and 60mm high trucks ever a thing?

I'd also be happy if somebody just tells me some literature about these topics so I can answer it myself.
I'd love to have the history of skating in every little detail, all the gear evolution.
I feel like in the end all the sizes are pretty much arbitrary, it just works and changing shit up sucks.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 866
« Reply #632 on: April 04, 2022, 05:29:42 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'd like to take this a bit further, been thinking about this for a long time.

How did we end up with around 52mm standard size, 99a standard durometer? The size seems so arbitrary because if you get used to it you can do everything on 56mm just as well.
How did decks go from huge 10+ inch planks to suddenly 7.5" decks in the 90s? Was it sudden or a smooth transition?
How much experimenting went into ending up at 48-55mm truck height? Were 40mm and 60mm high trucks ever a thing?

I'd also be happy if somebody just tells me some literature about these topics so I can answer it myself.
I'd love to have the history of skating in every little detail, all the gear evolution.
I feel like in the end all the sizes are pretty much arbitrary, it just works and changing shit up sucks.
Looking thru old ccs catalogues etc it's actually surprising how diverse the size of boards and wheels always was. Altho that may not be the most dependable source. Even in the 00s there's plenty of bigger boards and wheels on offer. That being said I remember the only shops anywhere near me in the early 00s were mall stores (altho it's kinda different in Aus) and it definatly seemed like the entire wall was either 7.5 or 7.75.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #633 on: April 04, 2022, 08:19:20 AM »
I remember Tum Yeto and lots of other rail chomper brands having 8” or 8.25 boards quite often- my friend skated them exclusively from like 1999-2010. I think wheels had more to do with trucks as trucks were often lower then and 52 was about what you could run and not have crazy wheelbite. I don’t remember anyone really caring much about wheels and some park dudes ran risers and 56+.

What I do remember being jarring is I was skating 7.875 exclusively, took 2 years off skating, first session back I cracked my tail and skated to a shop and they had a single deck under 8”. Even then 90% of the stock was 8.25 and up. Memory is fuzzy but around 2012 or 2013 maybe.

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112
« Reply #634 on: April 04, 2022, 09:00:41 AM »
Is it worth subscribing to thrasher? Last time I had it was in high school and the interviews sucked. I don't even remember most of em. Bunt is more memorable IMO.

Seems like the mag is more relevant for pro's since they are chasing nbd's and photo incentives; it's their livelihood.

twic3

• Rep: 16
« Reply #635 on: April 04, 2022, 09:15:16 AM »
Is it worth subscribing to thrasher? Last time I had it was in high school and the interviews sucked. I don't even remember most of em. Bunt is more memorable IMO.

Seems like the mag is more relevant for pro's since they are chasing nbd's and photo incentives; it's their livelihood.

Go to your local shop or barnes and noble and read it for free like I do.

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #636 on: April 04, 2022, 09:23:08 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Go to your local shop or barnes and noble and read it for free like I do.

That's too much work. I'd rather subscribe, money isn't the issue. I just don't want to see annoying "hellride" articles.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #637 on: April 04, 2022, 11:10:52 AM »

I subscribe. It's nice to get something analog in the mail, something light to read that isn't a screen. The writing is as good as ever, probably better. You get a free t-shirt.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #638 on: April 04, 2022, 11:48:39 PM »
Anyone ever redrill a deck that already had two sets of bolt holes drilled in it already? Planning on doing this but was wondering if adding a third set would compromise the deck integrity too much.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1972
« Reply #639 on: April 05, 2022, 07:35:37 AM »

It's no brain busting literature, but I still enjoy having something tangible to flip through once a month.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #640 on: April 05, 2022, 07:52:13 AM »
I’m the same way. I still get the print version of The Economist and enjoy it way more than the online version even tho it’s not current to the millisecond. I also prefer actual books to a Kindle unless they’re too heavy and bulky to transport.

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #641 on: April 05, 2022, 09:01:32 AM »
I remember Tum Yeto and lots of other rail chomper brands having 8” or 8.25 boards quite often- my friend skated them exclusively from like 1999-2010. I think wheels had more to do with trucks as trucks were often lower then and 52 was about what you could run and not have crazy wheelbite. I don’t remember anyone really caring much about wheels and some park dudes ran risers and 56+.

What I do remember being jarring is I was skating 7.875 exclusively, took 2 years off skating, first session back I cracked my tail and skated to a shop and they had a single deck under 8”. Even then 90% of the stock was 8.25 and up. Memory is fuzzy but around 2012 or 2013 maybe.

Idk. I seem to recall 8.5 being the upper end for a loooong time. There were bigger decks out there, but 8.5 was the biggest size reliably available. The size trend downward in the 90’s was steeper and more rigid, though. All I know is right now you can get pretty much whatever you want more so than any time in skate history, which is nice.

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 989
  • the moon rules
« Reply #642 on: April 05, 2022, 09:10:29 AM »
[quote  author=yourbreakfsat link=topic=120185.msg3771018#msg3771018 date=1649141319]
Anyone ever redrill a deck that already had two sets of bolt holes drilled in it already? Planning on doing this but was wondering if adding a third set would compromise the deck integrity too much.
[/quote]
https://www.chemsfb.com/product/wheelbase-mod

They say that it’s not good to redrill within 1/4 of an inch from the other baseplate holes

Why do my trucks feel tighter on a new board? It could be the same board with the same wheelbase, but my trucks always feel tighter on the new board
fuck you bama

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 297
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #643 on: April 05, 2022, 10:30:11 AM »
Why do my trucks feel tighter on a new board? It could be the same board with the same wheelbase, but my trucks always feel tighter on the new board

Wild guess, probably BS, but maybe b/c a new board itself is stiffer and less flexible, making the turn feel more rigid. 

Fooj

• Rep: 188
« Reply #644 on: April 05, 2022, 12:51:36 PM »

I think it really comes down to how long your average #2 is….. I tend to take my time, so a appreciate a nice mag to flip through rather than looking at my phone.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2246
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #645 on: April 05, 2022, 10:31:54 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I think it really comes down to how long your average #2 is….. I tend to take my time, so a appreciate a nice mag to flip through rather than looking at my phone.
And this brings up another good point: how often do you hold the magazine that lives in your bathroom up to the side of your face?
Kinda makes the cost of a subscription seem a little more worthwhile, eh?

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Vintagebody

• Rep: 84
« Reply #646 on: April 05, 2022, 10:44:01 PM »
Whats ur guys view on buying decks that have sat on the shelf for a looooooooong time?

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #647 on: April 06, 2022, 12:19:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
And this brings up another good point: how often do you hold the magazine that lives in your bathroom up to the side of your face?

I honestly hate having physical stuff since I'm an annoying minimalist. It's a lot of clutter. Wish they had a digital version. I've basically been running exclusively slap for years since i hate physical so much.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #648 on: April 06, 2022, 06:14:07 AM »
Whats ur guys view on buying decks that have sat on the shelf for a looooooooong time?

Over the years I have had many boards that have been old stock, from clearance bins or been on a wall for a long time and almost all of them have been fine, with no issues.  Even some I have had on my own walls for almost ten years are still good to go.

This might not always be possible, but check to make sure they are still straight, not warped.  (Even the Krooked boards, but they should be strait.)

If they are still in shrink, even better, but if not, just check to make sure they are still stiff and no delamination or other visible issues across the surfaces, or on the ply layers round the edge.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1039
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #649 on: April 06, 2022, 06:37:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

I honestly hate having physical stuff since I'm an annoying minimalist. It's a lot of clutter. Wish they had a digital version. I've basically been running exclusively slap for years since i hate physical so much.

They do have an online version as well, don't they?

https://shop.thrashermagazine.com/1-year-digital-edition-subscription.html

Less than $10 for a year if you don't want the paper version.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #650 on: April 06, 2022, 04:23:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

They do have an online version as well, don't they?

https://shop.thrashermagazine.com/1-year-digital-edition-subscription.html

Less than $10 for a year if you don't want the paper version.

Thanks! Just got a subscription!

Banned from the room

« Reply #651 on: April 06, 2022, 07:07:19 PM »

I feel like it’s because the ground in the US is in steady decline. Or the F4 shortage at the beginning of Covid was the beginning of the change.

It’s a bummer. I like 101a f4 and would like an even harder wheel in 58 or 60 mm. 64-66mm 101a f4 would be the greatest thing to ever happen in my skateboarding life.

oak leaf

• Rep: 56
« Reply #652 on: April 07, 2022, 07:12:26 AM »
i notice that people who shred have really fucked up shoes. i am not a shredder by any means but i can ollie a foot or so consistently and heelflip fairly consistently as well. neither of these tricks damage the uppers of my shoes, just wear down the rubber.

at first i assumed it was kickflips and tres that were the tricks that damage shoes, but now that I started thinking about it i see people who can barely ollie a curb with big ollie holes.

the question is : does the upper of my shoe *not* getting damaged mean my form is somehow wrong? would be cool to ollie higher so cant hurt to ask

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 521
« Reply #653 on: April 07, 2022, 10:32:28 AM »
i notice that people who shred have really fucked up shoes. i am not a shredder by any means but i can ollie a foot or so consistently and heelflip fairly consistently as well. neither of these tricks damage the uppers of my shoes, just wear down the rubber.

at first i assumed it was kickflips and tres that were the tricks that damage shoes, but now that I started thinking about it i see people who can barely ollie a curb with big ollie holes.

the question is : does the upper of my shoe *not* getting damaged mean my form is somehow wrong? would be cool to ollie higher so cant hurt to ask

Not necessarily. Kickflips will definitely wear down your toecap. Tres don't really wear shoes out at all.

Often people who can barely ollie a curb have big ollie holes because all they're doing is practicing ollies non stop.

My switch foot gets less wear than my regular foot even if I consciously decide to skate more switch than regular, probably because my form is different and I don't roll my foot as hard. But it doesn't matter as long as it feels fine.

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 92
« Reply #654 on: April 08, 2022, 06:05:23 AM »
Do your tricks like flips and manuals suffer when you switch between decks with different nose / tail shape / steepness and tiny width differences of let’s say .125 or .25?

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 866
« Reply #655 on: April 08, 2022, 06:24:24 AM »
Do your tricks like flips and manuals suffer when you switch between decks with different nose / tail shape / steepness and tiny width differences of let’s say .125 or .25?
"Suffer" might not always be right. Could actually improve. I personally don't think tiny differences matter with width but nose/tail size and steepness could do something (but even then not that much if it's a tiny difference)

Fooj

• Rep: 188
« Reply #656 on: April 08, 2022, 06:59:04 AM »
Not so much a question as an observation, this "Under the Radar" tactics section is actually a pretty solid lineup of product. At least for the brands i usually browse
https://www.tactics.com/under-the-radar-skate-brands

LebowskisRug

« Reply #657 on: April 08, 2022, 11:14:24 AM »
Is the April 8.38 length on their site accurate? Just doesn’t seem to add up with the stated nose, tail, and WB but otherwise sounds good.

keepthefunkalive

• Rep: 130
« Reply #658 on: April 08, 2022, 06:08:41 PM »

A slight difference in width takes less time to adjust to. Length takes a little more time if it's longer. If it's different in steepness on the nose it might take me a couple days to get straight kickflips and heelflips down solid.

keepthefunkalive

• Rep: 130
« Reply #659 on: April 08, 2022, 09:08:15 PM »
Why doesn't Adidas put out more Forums... with suede too. They could get in on some of that dunk money at least if they did it better.