Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 215085 times)

JugeL and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Paperclip20

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 137
  • Please send symmetrical board information
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #1800 on: October 03, 2022, 06:03:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Anyone have any experience with sizing on the puig indoor? Only other adidas shoe I’ve skated was the suicu and they were true to size ish
[close]

True to size. I will warn, however, that the Indoor are quite different than the cupsole version. The counter is pretty loose and slippy around the heel, the whole shoe feels very thin and flexible, and there’s not much rubber around the front, so they don’t look like they’ll last very long. I ride my cruiser to work in them and I wear them to hang out, but I don’t skate much in them.

Really, they’re like the opposite of the cupsole Puigs, which are stiff and solid, have a great heel, and feel very supportive compared to the Indoors.

I didn't have any major durability issues but they are definitely less durable than the cupsole puig and feel pretty flimsy. Completely true to size for me.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 707
« Reply #1801 on: October 05, 2022, 03:28:15 AM »
So last year I (re)learned heelflips and got quite comfortable albeit not super consistent with them. I skate every day and part of my routine is to land at least three clean(ish) heelflips. The purpose of the exercise is to get them really dialed.

However, this has become more and more frustrating as I feel not only I don't get more consistent at them but on the contrary, it always takes me more time and tries. Currently I am talking about at least 20 tries to land the first and then around 30 more for the two others... It's the part of my session I look forward to the least actually.

Have you been in a similar situation and what would be your advice?
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #1802 on: October 05, 2022, 05:03:50 AM »
So last year I (re)learned heelflips and got quite comfortable albeit not super consistent with them. I skate every day and part of my routine is to land at least three clean(ish) heelflips. The purpose of the exercise is to get them really dialed.

However, this has become more and more frustrating as I feel not only I don't get more consistent at them but on the contrary, it always takes me more time and tries. Currently I am talking about at least 20 tries to land the first and then around 30 more for the two others... It's the part of my session I look forward to the least actually.

it could be purely anecdotal on my part, but i feel like when you're actively trying to learn a trick and get it consistent that's when you start focusing on it a bit too much in terms of setting up, positioning etc. i've noticed certain times when i've tried to learn a trick or get it better, i fuck around too much with positioning and it never really works out, but if it's say in a game of skate or doing it in a line you're kinda pressed to do it quicker and atleast for me it often helps not focusing on the set up as much.

a good example for me atleast would be frontside flips, never really had them, landed a couple sketchy ones and i've tried my best skating flat to unlock them but never clicked. was filming a line the other day, landed the tricks i planned and thought i'd throw something else in there and for some reason i opted for a fs flip. set up quickly, popped it and that fucker came around and i landed on it. admittedly didn't roll away but that one sporadic attempt was closer than when i actually try to learn them. watched the clip back and my positioning for it was much higher up the board than when i've tried to learn them.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #1803 on: October 05, 2022, 05:15:05 AM »

What's going wrong if you don't land it? I think of heelflips as ollies up to the last moment when my foot leaves the nose. Flick as late as possible and it's always gonna be right under you and high as fuck.

But also what cosmicgypsies says is really important. Not a flip trick, but I've had the same experience with fs crooks. The more I think about it, the worse it gets. If I think nothing but "Ollie and put your front foot right there on the edge" it works pretty much every time.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1804 on: October 05, 2022, 05:40:53 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

What's going wrong if you don't land it? I think of heelflips as ollies up to the last moment when my foot leaves the nose. Flick as late as possible and it's always gonna be right under you and high as fuck.

But also what cosmicgypsies says is really important. Not a flip trick, but I've had the same experience with fs crooks. The more I think about it, the worse it gets. If I think nothing but "Ollie and put your front foot right there on the edge" it works pretty much every time.

Thanks guys. The most common mistakes: Sometimes I don't pop (enough), then they just ghost rocket; sometimes I don't flick (enough), then they only turn half. I know how to set up my feet, I know I have to pop and only flick later. I guess a lot of it is really psychological: the more I dread the heelflip part of my session, the less likely I am to make any progress. I've been wondering if I should just skip that part for a week and see what happens.
why come?

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1966
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1805 on: October 05, 2022, 06:30:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Thanks guys. The most common mistakes: Sometimes I don't pop (enough), then they just ghost rocket; sometimes I don't flick (enough), then they only turn half. I know how to set up my feet, I know I have to pop and only flick later. I guess a lot of it is really psychological: the more I dread the heelflip part of my session, the less likely I am to make any progress. I've been wondering if I should just skip that part for a week and see what happens.

I hate heelflips and can't do them, but 1 thing that made sense when was a friend who does heelflips consistent told was to pop, drag and really delay the flick off the edge of the board. I keep trying to liken them to kickflips and want to flick them off quickly, applying that same logic for heelflips results in ghost flicks or 1/2 flips.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #1806 on: October 05, 2022, 11:45:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I hate heelflips and can't do them, but 1 thing that made sense when was a friend who does heelflips consistent told was to pop, drag and really delay the flick off the edge of the board. I keep trying to liken them to kickflips and want to flick them off quickly, applying that same logic for heelflips results in ghost flicks or 1/2 flips.

I can only speak for myself but I realized that the flick comes better when I lean a little bit back instead of forward. And when I forget about the heel part in the word heelflip. It feels more like side of the foot flip for me. For a kickflip I want my toes to leave the side of the nose concave and for a heelflip I want the side of my foot to do that. So my front foot is placed similar as when I do a kickflip. I am goofy footed and for a kickflip my front foot stands more like this: / instead of this: I

That's what I try to do with a heelflip too, just with the opposite side of the deck.

The back foot is also important. I need my back foot toes more in the heel pocket of my tail instead of at the end of the tail for heelflips. Trying to apply pressure on both feet. I would say 60% pressure on the back foot, 40% pressure on the front foot.

Maybe look at a slow mo heelflip from Jamie Foy, he has a similar footstance.

I hope that all made sense.
IG: @flowterspace

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 989
  • the moon rules
« Reply #1807 on: October 10, 2022, 12:25:43 PM »
One of my boards took a dip in the LA river yesterday. The bearings didn’t seem to get that wet surprisingly. I was able to skate for a couple more hours afterwards with them feeling a little sluggish. This morning they were mostly seized up and rusted. I tried soaking them in acetone and putting some speed cream in to get them moving before a second acetone wash, but had moderate success at best. I left them soaking in acetone while I’m at work. I might try taking them apart and using a rust remover if they’re still seized up. Anyone have any luck in getting bearings moving again after a similar situation or are they just fucked?
fuck you bama

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 654
« Reply #1808 on: October 10, 2022, 12:38:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I can only speak for myself but I realized that the flick comes better when I lean a little bit back instead of forward. And when I forget about the heel part in the word heelflip. It feels more like side of the foot flip for me. For a kickflip I want my toes to leave the side of the nose concave and for a heelflip I want the side of my foot to do that. So my front foot is placed similar as when I do a kickflip. I am goofy footed and for a kickflip my front foot stands more like this: / instead of this: I

That's what I try to do with a heelflip too, just with the opposite side of the deck.

The back foot is also important. I need my back foot toes more in the heel pocket of my tail instead of at the end of the tail for heelflips. Trying to apply pressure on both feet. I would say 60% pressure on the back foot, 40% pressure on the front foot.

Maybe look at a slow mo heelflip from Jamie Foy, he has a similar footstance.

I hope that all made sense.
This is very on point for my heelflips too. I find that leaning back on the board makes them stay under me way easier. And flicking with the entire side of my foot makes getting the flip and controlling the board a lot easier. The way I heelflip wears down the heel, middle (usually where the logo is), and ollie area of my shoe. It rips my shoes up a lot quicker but it's worth it to have a good heelflip.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1809 on: October 10, 2022, 01:14:14 PM »
One of my boards took a dip in the LA river yesterday. The bearings didn’t seem to get that wet surprisingly. I was able to skate for a couple more hours afterwards with them feeling a little sluggish. This morning they were mostly seized up and rusted. I tried soaking them in acetone and putting some speed cream in to get them moving before a second acetone wash, but had moderate success at best. I left them soaking in acetone while I’m at work. I might try taking them apart and using a rust remover if they’re still seized up. Anyone have any luck in getting bearings moving again after a similar situation or are they just fucked?

I had this happen to a set of Reds years ago. I took the bearings apart completely I think. Removed the cages and the balls and everything and cleaned them properly with acetone. Might’ve been overkill but they worked beautifully after that. I think the most important thing with cleaning bearings is spinning them when cleaning. I use the Bones washer thing and all the bearings except the topmost one are easy to spin in that to fling all the shit out. Once they spin freely you can rinse them with clean solvent or even water and dry them quickly and relube.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1039
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1810 on: October 10, 2022, 05:49:22 PM »

Some people swear off it, but I have found a simple spray of WD40 into the bearings while still on the board and then having a gentle roll around is all that was needed to get most bearing spinning again after taking a dip.  They still roll fine and then when sounding dry in however many sessions, give them some lube and they should be sweet again.

Failing that, if they have been wet for a while or just don't seem to be coming back, another spray and taking them out of the wheels to get them moving between your fingers, but again, they almost always come up fairly well after that with anything from generic cheapies, Reds, Swiss, and everything in between.

Been doing that for twenty plus years and bearings are still rolling fine.

Each to their own though.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1811 on: October 11, 2022, 04:05:50 PM »
How are trucks tightened at the factory? We often talk about stock tightness, but is there such a thing if some random dude is just turning a wrench?

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 505
« Reply #1812 on: October 11, 2022, 04:45:06 PM »
How are trucks tightened at the factory? We often talk about stock tightness, but is there such a thing if some random dude is just turning a wrench?

from videos i've seen, impact wrench and yeah not exactly for accuracy. i've recently noticed more people mention that 'stock tightness' varies and if you want to start from scratch, just adjust to flush.

found some vids -
tracker trucks being tightened https://youtu.be/ddRjg2HtYtU?t=173

old venture vid doing the same https://youtu.be/aUlCl2a4zuw?t=89

jimgrude

• Rep: 67
« Reply #1813 on: October 11, 2022, 04:47:42 PM »

Since we're doing heelflip tips now, here's a little hack that helped me learn heelflips 20 years ago, and that I still utilize with various heelflip variations whenever I can't get the flip right.

Tap the toeside rail of your board by extending your ankle straight downwards (like how people do late flips), to help flip the board. It's possible to heelflip this way without kicking or flicking whatsoever.
I'd still combine it with a diagonal kick off the nose, but while you're still figuring out the trick, this little downwards tap can really help. It allows you to keep the board right under you, as you don't need that exaggerated flick that will often throw the board forward or behind you.

I use this to get a better flip for double heels, inward heels, nollie inward heels, halfcab heels, etc.

tom

• SLAP Pal
  • the moon rules
« Reply #1814 on: October 11, 2022, 09:48:37 PM »
@Roisto i was able to get them spinning again. Soaked them for 24 hrs in acetone. A few are a little slow, but significantly better than before. I’ll pop the cages and clean the races before setting them up again

@Mbrimson88 I used a Scrubbing Bubbles spray on a set of Quickies once. It made them feel extra fast. I tried it another time and rusted my bearings shut worse than the ones I asked my question about. That was close to 20 years ago though. I would just toss out bearings and buy new ones until a few years ago when I finally bought my first set of Bones Swiss. Now I like to try and take care of bearings
fuck you bama

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1815 on: October 11, 2022, 10:35:33 PM »
@Roisto i was able to get them spinning again. Soaked them for 24 hrs in acetone. A few are a little slow, but significantly better than before. I’ll pop the cages and clean the races before setting them up again

I've always heard that acetone destroys/weakens the plastic cages, so I'd be interested in hearing how these hold up after being soaked in it 24h.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1816 on: October 11, 2022, 10:46:28 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Since we're doing heelflip tips now, here's a little hack that helped me learn heelflips 20 years ago, and that I still utilize with various heelflip variations whenever I can't get the flip right.

Tap the toeside rail of your board by extending your ankle straight downwards (like how people do late flips), to help flip the board. It's possible to heelflip this way without kicking or flicking whatsoever.
I'd still combine it with a diagonal kick off the nose, but while you're still figuring out the trick, this little downwards tap can really help. It allows you to keep the board right under you, as you don't need that exaggerated flick that will often throw the board forward or behind you.

I use this to get a better flip for double heels, inward heels, nollie inward heels, halfcab heels, etc.

Sorry, I am not a native English speaker: what do you mean by tap the toeside rail exactly?
why come?

jimgrude

• Rep: 67
« Reply #1817 on: October 12, 2022, 12:26:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Sorry, I am not a native English speaker: what do you mean by tap the toeside rail exactly?

The edge of your board (rail), where your toes are hanging off when setting up for a heelflip.

for a heelflip you usually extend your knee to kick off the side of the nose. You can get more flip by also using your ankle. flex your foot downward like you would on a gas pedal or a bass drum pedal.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 642
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #1818 on: October 12, 2022, 01:29:27 AM »

stock tightness means nothing
better consider them flush or not

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1819 on: October 12, 2022, 04:13:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Cheers bro I’l try to remember that tonight.

[close]

[close]

The edge of your board (rail), where your toes are hanging off when setting up for a heelflip.

for a heelflip you usually extend your knee to kick off the side of the nose. You can get more flip by also using your ankle. flex your foot downward like you would on a gas pedal or a bass drum pedal.
why come?

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #1820 on: October 12, 2022, 11:35:57 AM »
I switched from some worn Spits F4 50mm conicals to some Spits F4 53mm lock-ins and I could suddenly ollie a bit higher.

Which is cool, but why? I don't understand the physics behind that. I always thought smaller wheels are easier to pop with because the way from the tail to the ground is shorter. Pretty confusing session yesterday and made me question a lot of things I thought I knew.
IG: @flowterspace

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1821 on: October 12, 2022, 12:01:24 PM »

You need to take a break. You're reinforcing bad habits. In rock climbing, which is highly skill based, there is an old "7 try" rule where you can try a move 7 tries and if you can't do it you should come back to it. Motor learning patterns come and go quickly in the short run but stick around long-term if you're consistent. You don't want to get consistent at the wrong thing.

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #1822 on: October 12, 2022, 12:13:42 PM »
I switched from some worn Spits F4 50mm conicals to some Spits F4 53mm lock-ins and I could suddenly ollie a bit higher.

Which is cool, but why? I don't understand the physics behind that. I always thought smaller wheels are easier to pop with because the way from the tail to the ground is shorter. Pretty confusing session yesterday and made me question a lot of things I thought I knew.

You're right insofar that the shorter the distance between the tail and the ground (which is influenced by wheel diameter, truck height, risers, and concave/shape), the easier it is to pop your board, simply because it takes less force to make contact. However, this also limits the angle of pop, meaning how vertical your board is when the tail hits the ground. For many people, a higher angle of pop allows for higher Ollies because the board can get almost perpendicular to the ground before the front foot levels it out. The higher the front trucks get initially, the higher the Ollie is once the board is parallel to the ground again.

tl;dr: small wheels, low trucks: easier, more responsive pop. big wheels, high trucks: harder to pop, but potentially higher Ollies.

Diklap

• Rep: 0
« Reply #1823 on: October 12, 2022, 12:21:00 PM »
So I have this 8.375 laying around I used to skate those but have been skating 8.5 lately, which has really improved my 360flip. Now I want to use the deck but will it affect my 360 flips/pinch going with 8.375 and 149 thunders. Somehow I'm feeling like I can't go back while it's only a few mm. Thoughts/experiences on this? Really felt like I improved when switching up, otherwise I'll just sell the deck.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1824 on: October 12, 2022, 01:13:27 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

You need to take a break. You're reinforcing bad habits. In rock climbing, which is highly skill based, there is an old "7 try" rule where you can try a move 7 tries and if you can't do it you should come back to it. Motor learning patterns come and go quickly in the short run but stick around long-term if you're consistent. You don't want to get consistent at the wrong thing.

Interesting take, thanks.
why come?

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 470
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1825 on: October 12, 2022, 01:20:49 PM »
So I have this 8.375 laying around I used to skate those but have been skating 8.5 lately, which has really improved my 360flip. Now I want to use the deck but will it affect my 360 flips/pinch going with 8.375 and 149 thunders. Somehow I'm feeling like I can't go back while it's only a few mm. Thoughts/experiences on this? Really felt like I improved when switching up, otherwise I'll just sell the deck.

If it’s brand new sell it. If you’ve already skated it then set it back up and give it a go. Lots of people do 149 on 8.3+ so it will work. Also take a tape measure to it. Measure the both boards. Sometimes you’ll find that the manufacturer stated measurements don’t always add up. Meaning your 8.5 could be slightly under or your 8.3 could be over.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1039
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #1826 on: October 12, 2022, 11:33:27 PM »

@Mbrimson88 I used a Scrubbing Bubbles spray on a set of Quickies once. It made them feel extra fast. I tried it another time and rusted my bearings shut worse than the ones I asked my question about. That was close to 20 years ago though. I would just toss out bearings and buy new ones until a few years ago when I finally bought my first set of Bones Swiss. Now I like to try and take care of bearings

I had to look up what Scrubbing Bubbles was, as we don't have it here in AU.  Looked like it was good for the shower but not so good for bearings.

It is amazing though hearing all the different things people have tried to clean bearings with, more often than not when they have come in for some new bearings, because "they tried Brand XXX product and it destroyed them" or something similar, cause the first thing I usually ask is what and where are your old ones?

I just find it interesting to see what their old bearings look like.

Edit:

I guess that is nothing compared to the shields on or off debate.

My preference is always shields on and lubed, but I have a few friends who are strictly no shields and no lube, which is always a funny conversation (polite argument) when it comes up.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 11:45:18 PM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

thanksgiving

• Rep: 214
« Reply #1827 on: October 13, 2022, 01:22:16 AM »
skated hi top cons for the first time today. laces blew almost instantly about halfway up the shoe. whats the best method to prevent laces from ripping? normally i dont really care and skate shoes with torn laces but i need to undo these pretty far to take them on/off

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 642
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #1828 on: October 13, 2022, 01:41:17 AM »
skated hi top cons for the first time today. laces blew almost instantly about halfway up the shoe. whats the best method to prevent laces from ripping? normally i dont really care and skate shoes with torn laces but i need to undo these pretty far to take them on/off
metal eyelets far on the side of the shoes suck
put some glue on the laces

tom

• SLAP Pal
  • the moon rules
« Reply #1829 on: October 13, 2022, 02:25:50 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I had to look up what Scrubbing Bubbles was, as we don't have it here in AU.  Looked like it was good for the shower but not so good for bearings.

It is amazing though hearing all the different things people have tried to clean bearings with, more often than not when they have come in for some new bearings, because "they tried Brand XXX product and it destroyed them" or something similar, cause the first thing I usually ask is what and where are your old ones?

I just find it interesting to see what their old bearings look like.

Edit:

I guess that is nothing compared to the shields on or off debate.

My preference is always shields on and lubed, but I have a few friends who are strictly no shields and no lube, which is always a funny conversation (polite argument) when it comes up.

My friends skate bones Swiss without shields all the time and don’t have any issue. They’ll maybe use speed cream if they’re feeling sluggish. They never seem to have any problem. Meanwhile it seems like if my board comes within 5 feet of any sort of dirt my bearings will seize up and get progressively worse until I clean them. To this day the fastest set of bearings I’ve ever had were these metal cage Lucky abec 1’s that came with this complete that I won from a Thrasher website trivia contest in 2006

Sometimes new gear just feels and skates better. Your old wheels could be a little coned or have little chips or spots that make them not roll as great
fuck you bama