Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 798252 times)

weon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • todo gratis todo gay
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #2940 on: April 25, 2020, 05:15:21 PM »
why do wheels still come with tread???

because they are s(h)aving precious seconds of production time

Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

gaunting

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2941 on: April 25, 2020, 06:04:41 PM »
anyone tried those new pig “prime” wheels? I’m intrigued....but it says they are 104a! idk about all that....
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

Diocletian

« Reply #2942 on: April 25, 2020, 08:33:32 PM »
A China made wheel that has nothing going for it besides labeled as “104a”. I’d play it safe and not get them. Not to say pigs are shitty wheels but I doubt they’d outperform a 101a F4.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 833
« Reply #2943 on: April 26, 2020, 08:56:32 PM »
I’ve had a different experience with Loophole regarding the slide - I’ve been riding around on some  54mm teardrops for about a week and found them to be more difficult to break into a slide than F4. Mine definitely feel more grippy. I’m really, really enjoying them though.

Really? Do you usually ride 99 F4s? Loopholes definitely felt more icy than them, I’ve new we skated 101 F4s though

The teardrop shape does seem harder to slide for some reason, I had trouble breaking loose my first few times on them but it seems to be getting better. Not sure if that's because of them breaking in a little or me just kind of getting used to it. The 56mm V's slide almost as well as an F4 though. Really glad I picked up the V's because they're pretty ideal for the streets around here and with a good set of bearings they're really fast which makes my morning commute both easier and more fun. Being able to bomb down the middle of the empty streets at 5:30am and just monster truck over everything in your way is a great way to start the day. 

chris.

• Rep: 184
« Reply #2944 on: April 27, 2020, 03:34:30 AM »
They had an IG story recently about some new molds for 54mm V-shape which I will definitely pick up.

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 470
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2945 on: May 08, 2020, 07:17:36 AM »
Was thinking of going from 54mm F4 down to a 52 in the same wheel. I’ve always ridden bigger wheels (55/56) and now I’m actually sizing down. I’m trying to cut a little weight and get closer to the ground. Will I notice a major reduction in speed?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #2946 on: May 08, 2020, 07:23:49 AM »
They had an IG story recently about some new molds for 54mm V-shape which I will definitely pick up.
yeah, this will probably be the perfect wheel for me

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

heritage

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #2947 on: May 08, 2020, 10:20:58 AM »
Expand Quote
So I decided to give Loopholes a try. For those unfamiliar they're the same as NFG, so small batch hand-poured wheels from SF.

First ones I got were the 54mm "teardrop" shape which is pretty much just a classic shape. Was pretty impressed with how fast and smooth they were on rough terrain despite being pretty hard (52D). Really enjoyed them but being on the narrow side I wasn't super comfortable and kind of limited myself to only skating smooth, flat areas.

Seeing as how it was a shape issue more than anything I decided to get the 56mm V shapes which are kind of like a tablet on steroids. These things are WIDE and it's mostly contact patch. I'm absolutely loving them so far. They're fast as hell, crush through pebbles and debris, and have a super buttery slide. They almost slid too well at first, but after an hour or so they settled down and I got used to them.

The graphics do come off really easily, almost like a temporary tattoo. You could wipe the whole thing bare with a rag in seconds if you wanted to, which is a negative for some people but for the "graphics in" crowd it's kind of nice. The V shapes do have some bubbling/pitting but it's only in a few small spots and I kind of like that they have minor flaws that don't affect performance. It shows that they really are hand poured and comes across as honest if that makes any sense.

Overall I think they're really fucking good. I don't think theyre ever going to be super popular like spitfire or bones but that's part of what I like about them. The formula is excellent, the shapes are great, and I think the V shape might even replace my  go-to F4 conical full in a lot of situations. Hopefully they hold up long term as well as F4 does.
[close]
accurate description. I had some of the 56mm conicals too, I reviewed them a few pages back. Actually just picked up another set because I missed them!

Exactly my experience with SML. The AG formula is just a little too soft for me. Really nice wheels but I prefer less bite and a little more slide. The OG formula actually felt like banana peels when I first skated them. I love them. I currently have a set of Suciu slim in OG formula and they are REALLY thin, like pizza cutters. It doesn’t take much for them to cut loose!

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 103
« Reply #2948 on: May 09, 2020, 10:40:50 AM »
Just looking for some insight on some bones v5s or spitfire classics 54mm as they have similar measurements. I currenty ride spitfire F4 classics 101 52mm and they seem to be way too jarring on the streets I ride. Basically just want to know your guys thoughts on what wheel is better on rough crust.
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

Spacetravelisboring

• Rep: -422
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #2949 on: May 09, 2020, 12:39:46 PM »
The bubbles are pretty common if you've ever tried hand-pouring urethane or epoxy. It's pretty hard to avoid introducing air/moisture in the mixing/pouring process without a perfectly controlled environment and machinery, but it shouldn't really affect the quality of the wheel. The quality (and amount) of the ingredients is what's most important, so if they're doing small batch hand pours of high quality urethane then the wheels are still going to be good with or without the bubbles.

I used to mess around with a girl who's dad was really into roller skating (he did speed skating trials and shit) and the wheels they used always had bubbles because they used some special urethane that poured really slowly and he wouldn't buy wheels that were perfectly smooth because it was a sign they were using fillers or lower quality urethane. Wheels from the big manufacturers undergo a smoothing and bleaching process to make them look pretty but it doesn't make them skate any better. It's kind of the same thing as any other homebrew process... just because the final presentation isn't as polished doesn't mean the product is inferior quality. I'll take a small batch IPA in a mason jar from someone who knows what they're doing over a budweiser any day.

I haven't tried NFG's wheels so they could be dogshit for all I know, but I wouldn't be scared off by the imperfect casting. If anything its nice to know they're actually hand pouring them and its not just marketing bullshit.

Ipa in a mason jar hahahaha. Typical hipster.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1018
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #2950 on: May 09, 2020, 02:03:21 PM »
Just looking for some insight on some bones v5s or spitfire classics 54mm as they have similar measurements. I currenty ride spitfire F4 classics 101 52mm and they seem to be way too jarring on the streets I ride. Basically just want to know your guys thoughts on what wheel is better on rough crust.

V5 in the STF 99 might suit you? I find them better than the F4 99a on shittycrust spots (but only if you don't plan on sliding as the STF 99s are grippier than the F499a).

Saint Coke

« Reply #2951 on: May 09, 2020, 10:56:41 PM »
would 101d spitfires feel to icy on metal ramps?

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 521
« Reply #2952 on: May 10, 2020, 12:29:01 AM »
would 101d spitfires feel to icy on metal ramps?

definitely. well to me the feel icy on everything.

toque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
    • Portmanteau avatar image
« Reply #2953 on: May 10, 2020, 12:40:36 AM »
Anybody Tried Jivaro 101s?

Anybody tried Loophole?

wheee!

Live Fast Johnny

• Rep: 22
« Reply #2954 on: May 10, 2020, 08:08:45 AM »
Anybody Tried Jivaro 101s?

Had a set a few years ago.  Just basic hard wheels that wore out pretty quick.  Way better options out there.

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 103
« Reply #2955 on: May 10, 2020, 09:54:29 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

V5 in the STF 99 might suit you? I find them better than the F4 99a on shittycrust spots (but only if you don't plan on sliding as the STF 99s are grippier than the F499a).

Nice I'll see what I can find online from the shops sites I've been lurking on. Thanks.
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 586
« Reply #2956 on: May 10, 2020, 10:13:36 AM »
Would the SPF formula be better on crust?
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Fat Tire

• Rep: -18
  • "Do A Kickflip!" Hahaha...
« Reply #2957 on: May 10, 2020, 10:40:50 AM »
Would the SPF formula be better on crust?

Not even

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 171
« Reply #2958 on: May 10, 2020, 10:59:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anyone tried SML? how do they compare to Spitfires?
[close]

Good timing, I'm just about done skating my second pair of SML AG 52mm v-cut 99as, these ones:
https://www.tactics.com/sml/grocery-bag-ii-v-cut-skateboard-wheels

Really like them once the tread goes away (why do wheels still come with tread???), feel slightly softer than 99a f4s, maybe a hair better on rough ground, really like the way they slide, very controlled, just as good as f4s imo. Felt just as good bombing hills and doing bluntslides. Maybe a little less flatspot resistant compared to f4s, I got a few small ones that went away quickly (though for context I also flatspot f4s regularly so...). If we're splitting hairs maybe a tiny bit grippier. The conical ish shape is good too, though would be curious to try the classics lookin og-wides in the future.

My next set of wheels are some f4s just because I wanted to skate radial slims again, but in the future I definitely see myself skating these again regularly and probably over f4s if I can find them either for cheaper or in the og wides. Good to support a smaller company, and I like the colour or the urethane a lot more, much less yellow and ever so slightly translucent like classics kinda. Though if you skate really dirty terrain the dirt seems to stick to the wheel a bit more. If I had to compare them to anything I'd say maybe a hybrid of a spitfire classic and an f4? With the riding feel and appearance leaning closer towards classics, and the slide and performance leaning towards f4s.
[close]

Wow! Appreciate the in depth review!

The Grocery Bags are Austyn's preferred formula. We get them from Creative and they're the closest thing to the older Spitfire Classic's. Our OG formula is closer to an F4 or Bones STF from what I have personally tried. Way more flat spot resistant.

As a small brand (pun intended ha) we are really hyped to hear these kinds of reviews and see what people really think.

Much love SLAP fam and Shalom!
[close]

Of course! Super hyped on them. If I understand correctly, there are two sml formulas? The AG is the one I skated and then there's the OG which is harder and more flatspot resistant?

I had a set of these a few years ago https://www.nativeskatestore.co.uk/skateboards-c7/skateboard-wheels-c8/sml-wheels-gillette-commies-og-wide-skateboard-wheels-52mm-p31344. I think they were the harder ones. They were noticeably harder, slid great, felt more like an stf or 101 f4. But like the 101 f4s, a bit too hard and a little rattly on rough ground for me. I definitely prefer the AG formula but these would be great for many people too if they value absolute flatspot resistance and the slidyness (though I don't find any of these really lacking in the AG).

If anything to improve on at all, I'd just say lose the tread if possible but thats a minor issue that only lasts a few days. More shapes would be cool (something like a radial slim maybe). But for a two shape selection, the og wide (classic style) and v-cut (conical style) combo both seem like great choices.

Highly recommended, shalom!
[close]

Technically they're not harder. Both are 99a (which can also vary slightly from batch to batch because of the chemistry)

The OG's have a higher rebound and are a little harder to power slide. We get them from Aend (use to make the old Darkstar duel duros) Super good quality and are harder to flat spot.

Just to be sure if I understood, the OG ones are more difficult to powerslide than AG formula? Or they are "harder structuraly", in order to improve the powerslides?
I have been riding STFs for years, and would like to try SML wheels, really like the direction of the brand and most feebacks are really great. I just have difficulties to understand the difference between AG and OG formula (nothing on the website). I understand that the AG seems to feel softer than OG, but i'd like to know which ones slides better. The prices on SML wheels in Europe is really interesting so I want to check it.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 521
« Reply #2959 on: May 10, 2020, 02:30:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Good timing, I'm just about done skating my second pair of SML AG 52mm v-cut 99as, these ones:

Really like them once the tread goes away (why do wheels still come with tread???), feel slightly softer than 99a f4s, maybe a hair better on rough ground, really like the way they slide, very controlled, just as good as f4s imo. Felt just as good bombing hills and doing bluntslides. Maybe a little less flatspot resistant compared to f4s, I got a few small ones that went away quickly (though for context I also flatspot f4s regularly so...). If we're splitting hairs maybe a tiny bit grippier. The conical ish shape is good too, though would be curious to try the classics lookin og-wides in the future.

My next set of wheels are some f4s just because I wanted to skate radial slims again, but in the future I definitely see myself skating these again regularly and probably over f4s if I can find them either for cheaper or in the og wides. Good to support a smaller company, and I like the colour or the urethane a lot more, much less yellow and ever so slightly translucent like classics kinda. Though if you skate really dirty terrain the dirt seems to stick to the wheel a bit more. If I had to compare them to anything I'd say maybe a hybrid of a spitfire classic and an f4? With the riding feel and appearance leaning closer towards classics, and the slide and performance leaning towards f4s.
[close]

The Grocery Bags are Austyn's preferred formula. We get them from Creative and they're the closest thing to the older Spitfire Classic's. Our OG formula is closer to an F4 or Bones STF from what I have personally tried. Way more flat spot resistant.

As a small brand (pun intended ha) we are really hyped to hear these kinds of reviews and see what people really think.

[close]

Of course! Super hyped on them. If I understand correctly, there are two sml formulas? The AG is the one I skated and then there's the OG which is harder and more flatspot resistant?

I had a set of these a few years ago https://www.nativeskatestore.co.uk/skateboards-c7/skateboard-wheels-c8/sml-wheels-gillette-commies-og-wide-skateboard-wheels-52mm-p31344. I think they were the harder ones. They were noticeably harder, slid great, felt more like an stf or 101 f4. But like the 101 f4s, a bit too hard and a little rattly on rough ground for me. I definitely prefer the AG formula but these would be great for many people too if they value absolute flatspot resistance and the slidyness (though I don't find any of these really lacking in the AG).

If anything to improve on at all, I'd just say lose the tread if possible but thats a minor issue that only lasts a few days. More shapes would be cool (something like a radial slim maybe). But for a two shape selection, the og wide (classic style) and v-cut (conical style) combo both seem like great choices.

[close]

Technically they're not harder. Both are 99a (which can also vary slightly from batch to batch because of the chemistry)

The OG's have a higher rebound and are a little harder to power slide. We get them from Aend (use to make the old Darkstar duel duros) Super good quality and are harder to flat spot.
[close]

Just to be sure if I understood, the OG ones are more difficult to powerslide than AG formula? Or they are "harder structuraly", in order to improve the powerslides?
I have been riding STFs for years, and would like to try SML wheels, really like the direction of the brand and most feebacks are really great. I just have difficulties to understand the difference between AG and OG formula (nothing on the website). I understand that the AG seems to feel softer than OG, but i'd like to know which ones slides better. The prices on SML wheels in Europe is really interesting so I want to check it.

OGs definitely harder and more slidy in my experience. If you're coming off stfs you'll probably like OGs more, but personally I really grew to like the AGs after getting used to them.

legion

• Rep: 32
« Reply #2960 on: May 10, 2020, 02:36:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Cliff's made some interesting wheel tech posts relating rebound and slide/grip and it triggered my inner geek. I think he's talking about hysteresis. I think of it as how the wheel deforms to grip an irregular surface. Rebound is a wheel deforming and returning to its original shape, plays into rolling resistance..
Higher rebound = more energy return, should *feel* faster and that might make ppl think they're harder
Higher rebound = more grip, less slide

http://insideracingtechnology.com/tirebkexerpt1.htm
If you want more info try searching for "friction tire rebound hysteresis"

sml's formula names confuse me a lil but I think I have it right. Or backwards... it's a 50-50 chance..

AG formula is more like old Spitfire Classics. Slide well, don't have crazy high rebound, wear more quickly than OG formula.
My confusion is the name, OG seems more fitting to me.

OG formula has higher rebound and is more flatspot resistant. Doesn't slide as well as AG formula. This sounds like it'd be more like a Bones STF.

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 171
« Reply #2961 on: May 11, 2020, 12:43:33 PM »

Higher rebound = more energy return, should *feel* faster and that might make ppl think they're harder

I'm not sure about your interpretation, for me high rebound = low hysteresis = low energy loss -> less deformation friction = less grip = more slide

Diocletian

« Reply #2962 on: May 11, 2020, 07:33:42 PM »
I have an extra set of Loophole 54mm “teardrop” shapes (classic round wheel) if anyone wants em. Brand new never skated. PM me if interested

weon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #2963 on: May 11, 2020, 08:31:32 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I'm not sure about your interpretation, for me high rebound = low hysteresis = low energy loss -> less deformation friction = less grip = more slide

I feel like deformation is more of a matter of hardness than rebound. assuming they truly are the same hardness, would they deform the same amount yet at different rates? If so, I wonder if it means there’s a smaller window to break into a slide? edit: before the energy is rebounded back into the ground. edit2: trying to mentally theorize this is already giving me a headache.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 11:58:03 PM by Weon »
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

cliff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 743
    • Sml. Wheels avatar image
« Reply #2964 on: May 12, 2020, 02:13:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
Cliff's made some interesting wheel tech posts relating rebound and slide/grip and it triggered my inner geek. I think he's talking about hysteresis. I think of it as how the wheel deforms to grip an irregular surface. Rebound is a wheel deforming and returning to its original shape, plays into rolling resistance..

http://insideracingtechnology.com/tirebkexerpt1.htm
If you want more info try searching for "friction tire rebound hysteresis"

sml's formula names confuse me a lil but I think I have it right. Or backwards... it's a 50-50 chance..

AG formula is more like old Spitfire Classics. Slide well, don't have crazy high rebound, wear more quickly than OG formula.
My confusion is the name, OG seems more fitting to me.

OG formula has higher rebound and is more flatspot resistant. Doesn't slide as well as AG formula. This sounds like it'd be more like a Bones STF.

This is correct. The OG's we're our first wheels made by Aend (the use to make the old darkstar dual duros). I wanted high quality and flatspot resistant.   

Austyn specifically wanted something closer to a spitfire classic. hence the AG formula.

I don't know all the technical stuff with all those big words haha.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #2965 on: May 12, 2020, 08:09:21 PM »
anyone get less pop on bigger wheels or is it in my head? i want to run 56 conical fulls on my big boy but if the pop feel is gonna be drastically different from the 53s im riding now then ill pass.

how many mm's can you guys go up until shit feels off?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Saint Coke

« Reply #2966 on: May 12, 2020, 08:13:53 PM »
anyone get less pop on bigger wheels or is it in my head? i want to run 56 conical fulls on my big boy but if the pop feel is gonna be drastically different from the 53s im riding now then ill pass.

Not to derail what you are asking but I am having the same problem, so I have some almost a year old conicals that were 53 but are now 47mm. I want to switch but everything else feels too big. Like I'm addicted to these wheels.

« Reply #2967 on: May 14, 2020, 12:10:36 PM »

I think these red and white Dogtown wheels look great. Offset bearings so would work well on a wider board when you don't have wide enough trucks for centre-set. Or your 80s freestyle set-up.

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #2968 on: May 14, 2020, 01:51:33 PM »
I would like Pig to offer something to compete with oj elites, bones stf, and spitfire f4. It would be cool if they were actually a good wheel company.

But if they do already make a legit wheel and I'm unaware, please let me know.

Skart

• Rep: -33
  • Ham control
« Reply #2969 on: May 14, 2020, 02:35:08 PM »

Same. Skate more is the answer

52-54 no issue but 56-60 def feel a difference/lack of control from the weakness in legs

Going through it right now. Hoping to get a 8.5 with a sub 14.5 wb to make these 60s tolerable.
i need a break from this thread dawg. knowledge doesnt feel like power anymore