Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 367609 times)

toque and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1045
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #5700 on: May 22, 2024, 08:13:46 AM »
Expand Quote
My stock purples have now broken in, and I feel comfy with the forged plates. However, during some cold spring days I noticed the stock bushings freeze up pretty bad. So I guess I need a plan for fall. Any recommendations? I have blue Indys in ice, are they any better in cold conditions?
[close]

I guess all "normal" bushings go hard in cold conditions. Bones bushings don't do that, at least not to the extent of Ventures/Indys, so you could probably try that route. Bones Mediums would probably do the trick, as the Hards are pretty friggin' hard by default.

I don't have a really cold climate change here, but even just the difference between getting the board out on a cold morning, compared to when I am ready to put it away, I often feel like the bushings are pretty firm feeling out the door.

This might not help whatsoever in really cold conditions, but keeping the board inside with you and just doing some stand still side to side / heel to toe type movements on it on carpet or a mat or something before heading out can help a whole lot to warm the bushings up a bit so they feel a bit more normal.

Failing that, as said Bones and I think Ace bushings also don't freeze the way some others do - Venture, Thunder, Indy are all in that category - softer when warm, way more firm when cold.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1196
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5701 on: May 22, 2024, 08:15:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
My stock purples have now broken in, and I feel comfy with the forged plates. However, during some cold spring days I noticed the stock bushings freeze up pretty bad. So I guess I need a plan for fall. Any recommendations? I have blue Indys in ice, are they any better in cold conditions?
[close]

I guess all "normal" bushings go hard in cold conditions. Bones bushings don't do that, at least not to the extent of Ventures/Indys, so you could probably try that route. Bones Mediums would probably do the trick, as the Hards are pretty friggin' hard by default.
[close]

I don't have a really cold climate change here, but even just the difference between getting the board out on a cold morning, compared to when I am ready to put it away, I often feel like the bushings are pretty firm feeling out the door.

This might not help whatsoever in really cold conditions, but keeping the board inside with you and just doing some stand still side to side / heel to toe type movements on it on carpet or a mat or something before heading out can help a whole lot to warm the bushings up a bit so they feel a bit more normal.

Failing that, as said Bones and I think Ace bushings also don't freeze the way some others do - Venture, Thunder, Indy are all in that category - softer when warm, way more firm when cold.

i skate through the winters here in the midwest (when dry patches are available or in above ground parking garages) and the indy aftermarket bushings (med) have never frozen up on me
hardly art, hardly starving

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1045
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5702 on: May 22, 2024, 08:38:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

i skate through the winters here in the midwest (when dry patches are available or in above ground parking garages) and the indy aftermarket bushings (med) have never frozen up on me

That is good to know - so it might just be the stock Indy bushings that have the same issues as others - stock Venture and stock Thunder bushings that also tend to firm up a bit more, but as you said the aftermarket Indy bushings do not have those issues.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Musicaldeath107

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 122
« Reply #5703 on: May 22, 2024, 09:01:16 AM »

I know they aren't the cool bushing but Doh Doh's work and do well in the cold, plus they fit Ventures

Bongwater Mojito

• Rep: 74
« Reply #5704 on: May 22, 2024, 10:21:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I think Ventures have been the worst I have experienced in few years. In 0C the bushings felt like stones. I remember skating Aces in -5C without huge issues, they're stiffer of course.

As said, I have blue Indy aftermarkets unopened, if they manage cold better, could work that way.

But first let's enjoy the summer...

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #5705 on: May 22, 2024, 03:13:02 PM »
Blue 92s year round!

ARealWombat

• Rep: 2
« Reply #5706 on: May 24, 2024, 07:54:24 AM »
Anyone know if there's a difference between the cast baseplates that come on the Hi and Lo trucks?

I currently have a set of 5.2 Venture Hi and Lo, both with forged baseplates. I want to keep a set of cast baseplates around in case I want to try them out, I'm very happy with the forged plates (and they're what I'm accustomed to) but I like to keep options around. I'm on the forged lows right now with 50mm wheels, it's been a good setup and I love how fast and responsively the tail hits, but it's definitely a low-rider setup and I want to experiment with some different heights.

I can just disassemble the trucks at home and compare but thought someone here would already know. Also (just rambling now) I only ride 8" boards, may try an 8.13" at some point but considering that I like to stay on low(er) trucks like Ventures with a max ~53mm height to keep things proportional to the width of my board.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1975
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #5707 on: May 24, 2024, 08:20:32 AM »
Anyone know if there's a difference between the cast baseplates that come on the Hi and Lo trucks?

I currently have a set of 5.2 Venture Hi and Lo, both with forged baseplates. I want to keep a set of cast baseplates around in case I want to try them out, I'm very happy with the forged plates (and they're what I'm accustomed to) but I like to keep options around. I'm on the forged lows right now with 50mm wheels, it's been a good setup and I love how fast and responsively the tail hits, but it's definitely a low-rider setup and I want to experiment with some different heights.

I can just disassemble the trucks at home and compare but thought someone here would already know. Also (just rambling now) I only ride 8" boards, may try an 8.13" at some point but considering that I like to stay on low(er) trucks like Ventures with a max ~53mm height to keep things proportional to the width of my board.

No difference in the cast baseplates for Hi and Lo trucks, height difference is from different hanger design
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

ARealWombat

• Rep: 2
« Reply #5708 on: May 24, 2024, 08:28:40 AM »
Cool beans. I think the forged hi's may be the perfect middle ground for me, but like I said - I like keeping options around.

southphillytapwater

• Rep: 32
« Reply #5709 on: May 25, 2024, 07:38:03 AM »
Did Venture change their bushings recently? I bought a pair of the Skate Jawn cast hollows off a Pal and they feel much looser than I remember. Before, I couldn't skate Ventures without the Bones flat top washer but on these the turn feels perfect stock. It's probably been a year or two since the last time I bought a pair. The bushings are clear red, so I know they're not the loose truck ones.

CarcassToss

• Rep: 45
« Reply #5710 on: May 25, 2024, 08:28:03 AM »
I have had a set of purples recently that were softer (~1/2-3/4 turn tighter nut) but all others were normal. I've been riding cast hollows (Manderson and Kader eyeballs) with green, purple, and reds and they're all about the same.

As someone above mentioned my Ventures feel like a slightly lower, more stable Indy standard with 92's in except that they don't make feel racist and my representative clothing doesn't have as bro of slogans on it.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5711 on: May 25, 2024, 10:02:01 AM »
Did Venture change their bushings recently? I bought a pair of the Skate Jawn cast hollows off a Pal and they feel much looser than I remember. Before, I couldn't skate Ventures without the Bones flat top washer but on these the turn feels perfect stock. It's probably been a year or two since the last time I bought a pair. The bushings are clear red, so I know they're not the loose truck ones.

I have a pair of the 8.5 Jawns, first Ventures I've skated stock; second pair was a new set of 8.25s with purples, they both skated great, no need to swap for anything else (I still swap out for a bones top washer tho).

CarcassToss

« Reply #5712 on: May 25, 2024, 12:18:53 PM »
My Venture tops haven't disintegrated recently, which seemed common at the start of this thread. Maybe they changed when they moved to Mexico? The nice thing about them being a standard size is a billion brands are workable so worst case I blow out and pop Indy bushings in or something.

chaosisme

• Rep: 59
  • mankind is unkind man
« Reply #5713 on: May 25, 2024, 02:38:32 PM »
Bones flat top washer on venture stock bushings (regular bottom washer)
No threads showing, literally absolutely perfect trucks, I’ve been skating ventures my whole life, I definitely used to skate them unbelievably loose and I’m not sure how I used to get them that way but this very easy modification makes so much difference, perfect turn, perfect amount of wobble.

Also, I’m skating an 8.5 deck with a 14.5 wheelbase and can confirm that wheelbase makes little to no difference, i will stand by this. Think less, fun more.
mankind is unkind man

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5714 on: May 25, 2024, 03:04:48 PM »

GT

• Rep: -12
« Reply #5715 on: May 25, 2024, 08:36:30 PM »
I see lots of ideas here but have to ask so I can make it easier, hard bushings for ventures?
I usually get the blue replacement/rebuild kits for thunders which I like and want the same tight feeling not turning truck.
Any suggestions please?

MxsDx

• Rep: 102
« Reply #5716 on: May 25, 2024, 10:06:24 PM »
I see lots of ideas here but have to ask so I can make it easier, hard bushings for ventures?
I usually get the blue replacement/rebuild kits for thunders which I like and want the same tight feeling not turning truck.
Any suggestions please?

Indy hard (94 duro), or super hard (96) will work. Just make sure not to get the stage 4 replacement bushings.

GT

• Rep: -12
« Reply #5717 on: Today at 12:41:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Any suggestions please?
[close]

Indy hard (94 duro), or super hard (96) will work. Just make sure not to get the stage 4 replacement bushings.

Thank you!!

ambiguousclarity

• Rep: 11
« Reply #5718 on: Today at 04:01:27 AM »
I have had a set of purples recently that were softer (~1/2-3/4 turn tighter nut) but all others were normal. I've been riding cast hollows (Manderson and Kader eyeballs) with green, purple, and reds and they're all about the same.

As someone above mentioned my Ventures feel like a slightly lower, more stable Indy standard with 92's in except that they don't make feel racist and my representative clothing doesn't have as bro of slogans on it.

I've just set up some Venture standards with the purple bushings which are very soft. So much so, they're wheel biting rocking heel to toe without rolling. Do they firm up like thunder bushings?

CarcassToss

« Reply #5719 on: Today at 08:24:31 AM »
If you can find the old Supercush bushings they make a purple 97 and I think a 94. Really rare now it seems.

My Venture bushings feel great from day 1 I don't think they change much. I think with this set they came flush with the nylock and I tightened a half turn and they feel great to this day.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5720 on: Today at 03:47:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Any suggestions please?
[close]

This is the correct answer. 96a are damn hard.