Author Topic: Covid vaccine  (Read 58528 times)

Lenny the Fatface

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
Re: Covid vaccine
« Reply #930 on: December 14, 2021, 07:47:41 PM »
Got my booster today, dude giving me the shot was being a dick.

When I was waiting around after the shot this girl (who I’m guessing is about 21-23 years old) started making small talk with me. I mentioned my wife and my 3 year old son, and she abruptly stood up and walked away.

Realizing that some gen-z chick 10 years younger tried to flirt with me and I inadvertently rejected her by talking about my wife’s favorite children's books was the funniest shit I’ve experienced in a few months.

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #931 on: December 15, 2021, 03:32:55 AM »

When I was waiting around after the shot this girl (who I’m guessing is about 21-23 years old) started making small talk with me. I mentioned my wife and my 3 year old son, and she abruptly stood up and walked away.

Realizing that some gen-z chick 10 years younger tried to flirt with me and I inadvertently rejected her by talking about my wife’s favorite children's books was the funniest shit I’ve experienced in a few months.

Blame it on the vaccine and big pharma. They not only lied to you to make money. They lied to you to get all the chicks! Damn. The truth is out. You will lose your mojo.

Loki700

• Rep: 78
« Reply #932 on: December 15, 2021, 04:27:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The plague is caused by a bacteria, so there is no pre/post inoculation for it. But I digress. Get vaccinated.
[close]
Well shit, I had always assumed it was a virus and never checked.  Thanks for the correction, I’ll have to find another more relatable pandemic now.
[close]
I mean, small pox is the really big one, but we finally got rid of that by using vaccines. Last Podcast did a 4 or 5 part series on the black death earlier this year though. Definitely check that out.
Smallpox actually had inoculations, starting in the 1500s or 1600s in China.  They would expose people to a less virulent version of the virus because they found that it made people immune or have far less severe symptoms if they caught smallpox.  Washington actually mandated that his whole military be inoculated, and they complied, which is funny because the people refusing the vaccine and saying mandates aren’t constitutional also generally deify the founding fathers.

Smallpox would still work though as it had still done what I described to multiple civilizations before that, you just never hear about those outbreaks in school cause they’re not America, so they clearly don’t matter.  However it literally took vaccines being invented to put an end to smallpox here.
teslas are the longboards of automobiles

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1971
« Reply #933 on: December 15, 2021, 05:27:01 AM »

That rocks lol. How'd you feel after?

I got my booster this past Monday morning and other than my arm being a little sore, I didn't feel a thing. Had no side effects with the previous two doses either.

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
« Reply #934 on: December 15, 2021, 08:09:47 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That rocks lol. How'd you feel after?

I got my booster this past Monday morning and other than my arm being a little sore, I didn't feel a thing. Had no side effects with the previous two doses either.

I feel great, I skated for an hour right after before I logged back on to work. Today the area near the shot is sore but I haven’t had any reactions beyond that.

Decreed Bratton

• Rep: 19
  • it's possible a man slipped in there.
« Reply #935 on: December 15, 2021, 12:22:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The plague is caused by a bacteria, so there is no pre/post inoculation for it. But I digress. Get vaccinated.
[close]
Well shit, I had always assumed it was a virus and never checked.  Thanks for the correction, I’ll have to find another more relatable pandemic now.
[close]
I mean, small pox is the really big one, but we finally got rid of that by using vaccines. Last Podcast did a 4 or 5 part series on the black death earlier this year though. Definitely check that out.
[close]
Smallpox actually had inoculations, starting in the 1500s or 1600s in China.  They would expose people to a less virulent version of the virus because they found that it made people immune or have far less severe symptoms if they caught smallpox.  Washington actually mandated that his whole military be inoculated, and they complied, which is funny because the people refusing the vaccine and saying mandates aren’t constitutional also generally deify the founding fathers.

Smallpox would still work though as it had still done what I described to multiple civilizations before that, you just never hear about those outbreaks in school cause they’re not America, so they clearly don’t matter.  However it literally took vaccines being invented to put an end to smallpox here.
There is a difference with the smallpox virus vs SARS-CoV-2 or influenza.  Smallpox only infects humans so it can be eradicated.  SARS-CoV-2 or COVID and the flu are present in other animals.  Influenza are in pigs and birds.  SARS-CoV-2 in many wildlife.  Since we can't inoculate every animal, it will be around forever. 

But vaccines do work and right now the need is to get transmission of COVID down to levels of the flu pre-pandemic.  There needs to be enough people either vaccinated or infected in the world to where it isn't as widespread and what we are seeing at the moment.  Since it is new and the world population was naive to it, it will take some time. 
« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 12:54:38 PM by Decreed Bratton »

TranquilElephant

• Rep: 6
« Reply #936 on: December 15, 2021, 12:52:25 PM »
Got my booster (moderna) Sunday and the flu vaccine, kicked my ass the next day but i'm glad I got them over with.

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #937 on: December 15, 2021, 02:06:18 PM »
Probably a hard question to answer, but how do we exactly “end” the pandemic? What’s it look like on a timeline of time/actions? Is it along the lines of having 9X% of the world vaccinated against the most dominant strain? Or do we just have to live with it for X years, until every human has been infected and it becomes a “common flu”? I know it’s a hard question to answer.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #938 on: December 15, 2021, 07:31:17 PM »
Probably a hard question to answer, but how do we exactly “end” the pandemic? What’s it look like on a timeline of time/actions? Is it along the lines of having 9X% of the world vaccinated against the most dominant strain? Or do we just have to live with it for X years, until every human has been infected and it becomes a “common flu”? I know it’s a hard question to answer.

there's two scenarios that i heard quite frequently:

at some point we will treat it pretty much like the flu, except vaccination might be mandatory, unless we developed reliable medication that actually treats the infection should it occur, so it's less dangerous over all.

or covid is gonna mutate into a more benign corona virus such as the common cold. which would mean it's so adapted to humans that it doesn't lead to your immunesystem nuking you from the inside. you'll suffer some symptoms, but the chance of pneumonia would be similar to when you get a common cold, basically none. over time, this is what usually happens with viruses and it's also beneficial to them. it's not good for a virus if the host dies quick, so usually they mutate until they can use their hosts as more stable, living viral matter fabrics. and from then on it's from what i've read unlikely to mutate into something more destructive, since such a mutation wouldn't get far if it kills its host too quick.

so basically for covid it would be good to become harmless, because that ensures the most spread and longevity. apart from the fact that a virus has no will nor is it probably alife anyway, that's how i understood it.

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #939 on: December 15, 2021, 07:58:23 PM »
my booster fucked me up for 2 days, still feeling some effects

better than covid tho

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #940 on: December 17, 2021, 08:42:25 AM »
Boosters aren’t available here yet for my age group (Quebec), it’ll most likely be available late January…d’oh !

Got an appointment for a test tomorrow even if i’m double vaxx’d. Sinuses have been a little fucked and have had a bit of mucus in my lungs since yesterday and I don’t want to risk it.

I have problems with chronic sinusitis, bad allergies and work in a very dusty envrionment, so it’s most likely that… but with the crazy amount of cases popping up I’d rather not take a chance. I’d rather take 40 mins out of my day to get tested than risk infecting my parents, which are the only family i have left (only child).

Jagr

• Rep: 117
« Reply #941 on: December 17, 2021, 03:56:46 PM »
Got my booster (moderna) Sunday and the flu vaccine, kicked my ass the next day but i'm glad I got them over with.

Same, just got booster (Pfizer tho) and flu vaccine and felt like absolute sin the entire next day. Back to normal two days after though. Didn't feel anything after the first two Covid shots either.

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 734
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #942 on: December 17, 2021, 04:12:20 PM »
Just scheduled my booster. I highly doubt there will be any side effects for me. Didn't have any for the first two and I'm a big boy so it takes a lot of drug for me to feel anything.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #943 on: December 19, 2021, 07:38:09 AM »
Never been so stoked to have a sinus infection, just tested negative for Covid.

I was kinda worried for a min because I had been around my parents (in their 70's) in the last few days before my symptoms started.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 236
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #944 on: December 19, 2021, 09:53:26 AM »
Omicron is absolutely ROASTING my friends in NYC right now. No exaggeration, almost all of my friends tested positive over the course of a week. The good news is that it while it is definitely more contagious than previous variants, it does also seem to be a lot less severe. And most importantly, although it’s just anecdotal, those with boosters appear to get a lot less sick. Some of my boosted friends were literally sick for like 36 hours or less. The un-boosted have had a week or so of flu like symptoms. Not sure what it does to the unvaccinated but I imagine we’ll hear about it eventually.

So get your boosters if you can, and brace yourself— I suspect that NYC is going to be the canary in the coal mine again like it was in 2019. This shit is gonna come to every town and city eventually, it’s only a matter of time.

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #945 on: December 19, 2021, 10:01:31 AM »
Omicron is absolutely ROASTING my friends in NYC right now. No exaggeration, almost all of my friends tested positive over the course of a week. The good news is that it while it is definitely more contagious than previous variants, it does also seem to be a lot less severe. And most importantly, although it’s just anecdotal, those with boosters appear to get a lot less sick. Some of my boosted friends were literally sick for like 36 hours or less. The un-boosted have had a week or so of flu like symptoms. Not sure what it does to the unvaccinated but I imagine we’ll hear about it eventually.

So get your boosters if you can, and brace yourself— I suspect that NYC is going to be the canary in the coal mine again like it was in 2019. This shit is gonna come to every town and city eventually, it’s only a matter of time.

Cases here are soaring here in Quebec. Certain restrictions have been put back in, and I have a feeling we might be seeing a lockdown coming in about a week or two after Christmas. I sure as shit hope not, I can't take it anymore. We had some of the strictest lockdown laws in the world for a long time and I'm sick of it.

Decreed Bratton

• Rep: 19
  • it's possible a man slipped in there.
« Reply #946 on: December 19, 2021, 03:33:08 PM »

Have your friends said they were all sequenced for Omicron?  If so fair enough, but let's remember that there is still quite a bit of Delta going around.  Yes Omicron could soon take over, but this is not only an Omicron problem, but a human behavior problem as well spreading the virus. 

They aren't really roasted if all the ones who got it were sick for 36 hours for boosted and a week for unboosted.  That shows he vaccines are working and they yes it could be a lot worse if unvaccinated.

I keep bringing up these podcasts and I apologize, but I think everyone should have a listen to get a full scope of everything and so you don't freak out and lose your shit.  This doctor discusses with scientists about his take on boosters and what is the goal of the vaccines are.  They also talk about Omicron, why we shouldn't be looking at cases so much, but more people should get vaccinated amongst other things.
Starts about 20:48
« Last Edit: December 19, 2021, 04:55:59 PM by Decreed Bratton »

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 236
« Reply #947 on: December 19, 2021, 04:40:30 PM »
Yeah, when I refer to them all getting “roasted” I am referring to the sheer volume of cases, not the severity. Like you said, at this point it’s pretty clear that when you get your shots you generally don’t get as sick. But I was already convinced of that and hence Ive already gotten all 3 doses. The mild severity of these cases is extremely good news, especially considering how well the boosted people are doing. And when I call the cases “omicron” you’re right, I don’t really know if that’s true. It just seems to fit the bill based on the early reports. The sheer explosion in spread is really unprecedented. I mean regardless as to what strain it is I think the writing is on the wall, we’ve all seen what the winter weather and holiday gatherings can do to case numbers. Last January was super gnarly for a lot of the US, and this one probably will be too. So yeah, hope everyone who can do so is scheduling an appointment for their shots. Don’t be a statistic clogging up the hospitals if you can help it.

I suspect this is gonna be the wave where we all just finally catch it and actually achieve herd immunity. Gos knows we ain’t getting any more checks to stay home

Loki700

• Rep: 78
« Reply #948 on: December 20, 2021, 08:38:21 AM »
Well if it's anything like last year I'll probably be sick for New Years again.... Worst part of that was I had gone to get a massage my wife had gifted me, then I was suuuuper tired.  I then thought it was just a cold and went into a store to get some stuff to ease the "cold" and decided to get tested just to be on the safe side.  Then I found out it was Covid and had to call everyone I had been in contact with.  I felt like an asshole for going into the store after I was already symptomatic.

I had worn a mask the whole time, but even so, it's a shitty feeling that I could have spread it.  Luckily it was pretty mild for me, and same for my wife, so hopefully it was some variant that wasn't as bad just in case I did spread it.

I'd actually be in favor of a lockdown and working from home again.  It sucked, don't get me wrong, but the US is leading the world in cases, which is fucking insane.  We've got a smaller population than India, and are way less dense.  To compare, India is still only at like 40% fully vaccinated, we're at 60% and have been at 50% since August.  At the same point India was at 8%.  We've had 150% of the cases they have had, yet have had 173% of the deaths they have had (and we likely have access to better medical equipment, although they do have universal health care....).  Our cases have basically been on the rise since July, and don't show any signs of stopping.  We had actually had a steady fall in cases from January to July.

Canada has been a lot better so I don't think you guys would need to lockdown, but the US definitely needs to.
teslas are the longboards of automobiles

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #949 on: December 20, 2021, 09:11:42 AM »

Canada has been a lot better so I don't think you guys would need to lockdown, but the US definitely needs to.

Can’t speak for all of Canada, but never under-estimate Quebec’s Premier, François Legault. He’s very trigger happy when it comes to new saftey measures. Thing is, most of our cases are in Montreal yet the whole province gets punished for it.

He was very proud of having some of the strictest lockdowns in the world and he said he was still open to lockdowns and curfews should he decide it’s necessary. Last year, we were on lockdown + 8pm curfew from mid October to mid March. Things opened up for a week, then we were locked down again until late May, no curfew at least… Thank you O merciful God. Only thing that kept me sane was that I don’t work from home (factory mechanic)

Plus, our booster shots JUST started for the elderly. I wouldn’t be surprised to get mine in February (I’m almost 33).

Considering Quebec just had its worst number of cases in one day since the begining of the pandemic, I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s the first thing he does the week after Christmas. It’s an election year, so he’ll win points for letting us have Christmas.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2021, 09:19:05 AM by TheBoognish »

PAWL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -67
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #950 on: December 20, 2021, 09:17:15 AM »
Currently have it, I assume omicron but who fucking knows. I should've got the booster before I went on a trip to Puerto Rico.. very dumb.
yo mike mo new age ape style high five with my reborn hand.

2008 psychedelic experience. thanks.

lilboosie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 227
« Reply #951 on: December 20, 2021, 09:21:09 AM »
yea i tested positive. well this sucks.

but its been about long enough so i should be good in days. i hope

Fhk

« Reply #952 on: December 20, 2021, 09:46:57 AM »
 Partner recently had it, despite of being fully vaccinated. Multiple elderly people have died in my county, they were fully vaccinated as well. Almost everyone I know has had Covid has contracted it in the last 2 months. Two people in my town had their fucking hair fall out as their fevers reached unbelievable temperatures. They were fully vaccinated as well. Is is an understatement to say that They are not getting something right. I sure as fuck hope this booster turns the tide. I can't imagine it will.

Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 672
« Reply #953 on: December 20, 2021, 10:33:51 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Can’t speak for all of Canada, but never under-estimate Quebec’s Premier, François Legault. He’s very trigger happy when it comes to new saftey measures. Thing is, most of our cases are in Montreal yet the whole province gets punished for it.
 He was very proud of having some of the strictest lockdowns in the world and he said he was still open to lockdowns and curfews should he decide it’s necessary. Last year, we were on lockdown + 8pm curfew from mid October to mid March. Things opened up for a week, then we were locked down again until late May, no curfew at least… Thank you O merciful God. Only thing that kept me sane was that I don’t work from home (factory mechanic)
Plus, our booster shots JUST started for the elderly. I wouldn’t be surprised to get mine in February (I’m almost 33).
Considering Quebec just had its worst number of cases in one day since the begining of the pandemic, I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s the first thing he does the week after Christmas. It’s an election year, so he’ll win points for letting us have Christmas.
Well there you go, back to semi-lockdown in Quebec. Indoor skateparks again closed during winter......

Some dude

• Rep: -40
« Reply #954 on: December 20, 2021, 10:40:48 AM »
Partner recently had it, despite of being fully vaccinated. Multiple elderly people have died in my county, they were fully vaccinated as well. Almost everyone I know has had Covid has contracted it in the last 2 months. Two people in my town had their fucking hair fall out as their fevers reached unbelievable temperatures. They were fully vaccinated as well. Is is an understatement to say that They are not getting something right. I sure as fuck hope this booster turns the tide. I can't imagine it will.

If this one doesn’t, maybe the next one will.🤷🏻‍♀️

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #955 on: December 20, 2021, 11:24:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
Well there you go, back to semi-lockdown in Quebec. Indoor skateparks again closed during winter......
Yeah I was just about to write that. Fucking bummed. At least I still have hiking and ski touring.

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 653
« Reply #956 on: December 22, 2021, 07:29:46 AM »
Just got boosted last night after work by our Pfizer overlords. Had the J&J single dose the first time with no side effects, so far just a sore arm with this one.

Get hungry on it!

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1426
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #957 on: December 22, 2021, 11:47:05 AM »

how's she doing, man? the rona, whatever it is, is no joke.

this chick I know, who was not vaccinated, caught it in VT and had a fever for 3 weeks she said. said she was having crazy mental problems during the whole ordeal, hallucinations and what not. I can't imagine having a fever for that long. that's meningitis status brain frying.
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Fhk

« Reply #958 on: December 22, 2021, 06:26:29 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

how's she doing, man? the rona, whatever it is, is no joke.

this chick I know, who was not vaccinated, caught it in VT and had a fever for 3 weeks she said. said she was having crazy mental problems during the whole ordeal, hallucinations and what not. I can't imagine having a fever for that long. that's meningitis status brain frying.
She's good! She got off fairly easy other than the loss of taste and smell. I will know her sense of smell has come back as soon as notices the cashed out bowl scent coming from my pocket. (Still drives her crazy)  ;D Thanks for asking bud and I hope that girl you spoke about ends up ok!

dofrenzy

« Reply #959 on: December 22, 2021, 07:30:56 PM »
She's good! She got off fairly easy other than the loss of taste and smell. I will know her sense of smell has come back as soon as notices the cashed out bowl scent coming from my pocket. (Still drives her crazy)  ;D Thanks for asking bud and I hope that girl you spoke about ends up ok!

Really nice to read this update friend.

Getting my booster in the A.M.