Author Topic: Covid vaccine  (Read 58041 times)

Lord Viper Scorpion

Re: Covid vaccine
« Reply #900 on: December 09, 2021, 10:15:58 PM »
i am simply dumbfounded by the stupidity of humans at this point. they should come up with a word for that.

KoRnholio8

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1488
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #901 on: December 09, 2021, 11:35:02 PM »
a rare proud moment for my country in this epidemic (we've had a very strong anti-vaxx movement emerge, very disappointing)
from r/europe

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
« Reply #902 on: December 10, 2021, 03:35:23 AM »
i've read about myocarditis and seen some soccer plays drop dead but the latter isn't proven to be shot related.
Typically when a young, presumably healthy athlete drops dead like that, it's as a result of undiagnosed hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

skunty

• Rep: 73
« Reply #903 on: December 10, 2021, 06:36:05 AM »
did anyone hear about enlarged balls like nikki's cousin's bf? has anyone had any/heard of any harsh reactions? i've read about myocarditis and seen some soccer plays drop dead but the latter isn't proven to be shot related. i see a lot of 'sore arm, slightly sick for a day' reactions but did anyone or anyone you're buddies w/ have harsher reactions? sorry if i'm overstepping the rules by asking, seems like men have been blocked for less. would highspeed slap allow someone to post their harsh reactions if true or would that be grounds for block?

youre just tryin to get us to post our balls, not fallin for that one

Fhk

« Reply #904 on: December 10, 2021, 06:56:07 AM »
Expand Quote
did anyone hear about enlarged balls like nikki's cousin's bf? has anyone had any/heard of any harsh reactions? i've read about myocarditis and seen some soccer plays drop dead but the latter isn't proven to be shot related. i see a lot of 'sore arm, slightly sick for a day' reactions but did anyone or anyone you're buddies w/ have harsher reactions? sorry if i'm overstepping the rules by asking, seems like men have been blocked for less. would highspeed slap allow someone to post their harsh reactions if true or would that be grounds for block?
[close]

youre just tryin to get us to post our balls, not fallin for that one (AGAIN)

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #905 on: December 10, 2021, 09:13:11 AM »
My balls stay swollen. Lack of use.

biaherl

• Rep: 264
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #906 on: December 10, 2021, 09:31:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Not my balls but my dick grew 3 inches longer and fatter. Which SUCKS 'cause now I have a 15 inch dick

Ain't no body got time for that

Fhk

« Reply #907 on: December 10, 2021, 09:34:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Not my balls but my dick grew 3 inches longer and fatter. Which SUCKS 'cause now I have a 15 inch dick

Ain't no body got time for that
We talking balls here..gtfo with that dick talk you perv.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #908 on: December 10, 2021, 10:01:05 AM »
i love vaccines, dude.

not having covid rules.

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1361
« Reply #909 on: December 10, 2021, 10:03:49 AM »
Post your balls and I'll give you a fully flared link

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 986
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #910 on: December 10, 2021, 10:11:37 AM »
i love vaccines, dude.

not having covid rules.

What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

Loki700

• Rep: 74
« Reply #911 on: December 10, 2021, 11:07:40 AM »
thanks G, those numbers were different than the ones I had previously read, but I was so unwilling to go wading in the shit soup of misinformation myself, so I truly thank you for doing the leg work for me, and now the only thing that's holding me back from getting it is laziness. just playin i think im gonna sign up to get it monday so i dont feel shitty thorughout the weekend
Hell yeah man, happy to hear it.  I've also heard that you're not fully vaccinated until you post a picture of your balls on Slap.  It can be before or after the shot....

People weren't banned/blocked for asking questions.  They were banned for spreading disinformation and making false claims about the vaccine.  If someone had an adverse reaction and posted it here, with proof to back up that they aren't just lying to support the anti-vaxxer stance I'm sure they wouldn't have it removed, unless they tried to say it was way more prevalent than it actually is. 

Adverse effects are extremely rare; they're far far more rare than adverse effects from catching Covid, and they also happen to be less severe than the adverse effects of Covid.

Most people who are "asking questions" are doing so in bad faith.
teslas are the longboards of automobiles

artskool

• Rep: 31
« Reply #912 on: December 11, 2021, 12:15:00 PM »
Since we live a world where one-off anecdotal news is the norm; I'm triple vaccinated, spend most of a weekend hanging out with a guy who later that day tested positive for COVID. A week later, I just tested negative. So, you know, sometimes the vaccine does just work and keep you from catching it.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1392
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #913 on: December 11, 2021, 01:00:14 PM »
Since we live a world where one-off anecdotal news is the norm; I'm triple vaccinated, spend most of a weekend hanging out with a guy who later that day tested positive for COVID. A week later, I just tested negative. So, you know, sometimes the vaccine does just work and keep you from catching it.

Since we are getting anecdotal, I'm curious if the guy was vaccinated? Curious about vaccines efficacy in slowing spread from those who may be both vaccinated and infected.
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Decreed Bratton

• Rep: 19
  • it's possible a man slipped in there.
« Reply #914 on: December 11, 2021, 04:57:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Since we are getting anecdotal, I'm curious if the guy was vaccinated? Curious about vaccines efficacy in slowing spread from those who may be both vaccinated and infected.
There was a few studies about that.  I saw one out of Singapore that tested the viral loads of both vaccinated and unvaccinated individuals who were PCR positive.  They tested them daily and found out that the viral loads dropped a lot quicker in vaccinated people then unvaccinated.

There were also studies in unvaccinated people that show that some have huge viral loads compared to others.  There are people who are super spreaders for some unknown reason and will infect many people.  Other people shed very little virus which isn't enough to infect someone else.

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #915 on: December 11, 2021, 06:23:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
There was a few studies about that.  I saw one out of Singapore that tested the viral loads of both vaccinated and unvaccinated individuals who were PCR positive.  They tested them daily and found out that the viral loads dropped a lot quicker in vaccinated people then unvaccinated.

There were also studies in unvaccinated people that show that some have huge viral loads compared to others.  There are people who are super spreaders for some unknown reason and will infect many people.  Other people shed very little virus which isn't enough to infect someone else.

I've read similar studies, and remain mostly curious because my partner and I caught Covid and got really sick despite being fully vaccinated, but no one that we had been in close contact with before realizing we were sick caught anything.

T-Funke

• Rep: -23
« Reply #916 on: December 13, 2021, 12:08:59 AM »
“I don’t trust the government, we need to take the vaers data seriously. The data compiled by the government and reported on a government website.”

I’ll take this as a positive step forward that I was not given a classic Bunk  “shut your bitch ass up.”

But Bunk, are you implying that you accept the vaers numbers as valid?

I’ll clarify and say that I don’t trust what the government says and does, but I am inclined to consider the info from a reporting system they’ve set up for health professionals and individuals to report adverse events.

On the subject of the PCR test, according to its creator Kary Mullis, it was never meant to be a diagnostic tool.
https://www.brandnewtube.com/watch/pcr-test-inventor-kary-mullis-explains-why-it-is-not-a-diagnostic-tool_7jIyJEuwubWwYHr.html

The New York Times has reported on why and how the results can be skewed.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/29/health/coronavirus-testing.amp.html
The PCR test amplifies genetic matter from the virus in cycles; the fewer cycles required, the greater the amount of virus, or viral load, in the sample. The greater the viral load, the more likely the patient is to be contagious.

This number of amplification cycles needed to find the virus, called the cycle threshold, is never included in the results sent to doctors and coronavirus patients, although it could tell them how infectious the patients are.

In three sets of testing data that include cycle thresholds, compiled by officials in Massachusetts, New York and Nevada, up to 90 percent of people testing positive carried barely any virus, a review by The Times found...

One solution would be to adjust the cycle threshold used now to decide that a patient is infected. Most tests set the limit at 40, a few at 37. This means that you are positive for the coronavirus if the test process required up to 40 cycles, or 37, to detect the virus.

Tests with thresholds so high may detect not just live virus but also genetic fragments, leftovers from infection that pose no particular risk — akin to finding a hair in a room long after a person has left, Dr. Mina said.

Any test with a cycle threshold above 35 is too sensitive, agreed Juliet Morrison, a virologist at the University of California, Riverside. “I’m shocked that people would think that 40 could represent a positive,” she said.

Fauci himself is aware of this. He speaks to this at 4:22 into this video

If you get a cycle threshold of 35 or more, the chances of it being replication competent are minuscule. You almost never can cultivate virus from a 37 cycle threshold. So if someone does come in with a 37, 38, even 36, you’ve gotta say it’s just dead nucleotides

Also, Decreed, I get the hypocrisy that I’m posting a video from your trusted covid source of info now to make a point after formerly shit talking them. In this case dude is asking Fauci some good questions and I give him props for broaching this topic so early into the pandemic.

The overall point is that the pcr tests are prone to false positives and that by not mandating a cycle threshold that was more likely to give accurate results there was an over abundance of false positives being reported.

I do have follow ups to Loki, but I did say I wasn’t going to continue that conversation on here so it’s in the PMs and I’ll spare you guys.

Decreed Bratton

« Reply #917 on: December 13, 2021, 10:40:39 AM »
Expand Quote
“I don’t trust the government, we need to take the vaers data seriously. The data compiled by the government and reported on a government website.”
[close]

I’ll take this as a positive step forward that I was not given a classic Bunk  “shut your bitch ass up.”

But Bunk, are you implying that you accept the vaers numbers as valid?

I’ll clarify and say that I don’t trust what the government says and does, but I am inclined to consider the info from a reporting system they’ve set up for health professionals and individuals to report adverse events.

On the subject of the PCR test, according to its creator Kary Mullis, it was never meant to be a diagnostic tool.
https://www.brandnewtube.com/watch/pcr-test-inventor-kary-mullis-explains-why-it-is-not-a-diagnostic-tool_7jIyJEuwubWwYHr.html

The New York Times has reported on why and how the results can be skewed.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/29/health/coronavirus-testing.amp.html
Expand Quote
The PCR test amplifies genetic matter from the virus in cycles; the fewer cycles required, the greater the amount of virus, or viral load, in the sample. The greater the viral load, the more likely the patient is to be contagious.

This number of amplification cycles needed to find the virus, called the cycle threshold, is never included in the results sent to doctors and coronavirus patients, although it could tell them how infectious the patients are.

In three sets of testing data that include cycle thresholds, compiled by officials in Massachusetts, New York and Nevada, up to 90 percent of people testing positive carried barely any virus, a review by The Times found...

One solution would be to adjust the cycle threshold used now to decide that a patient is infected. Most tests set the limit at 40, a few at 37. This means that you are positive for the coronavirus if the test process required up to 40 cycles, or 37, to detect the virus.

Tests with thresholds so high may detect not just live virus but also genetic fragments, leftovers from infection that pose no particular risk — akin to finding a hair in a room long after a person has left, Dr. Mina said.

Any test with a cycle threshold above 35 is too sensitive, agreed Juliet Morrison, a virologist at the University of California, Riverside. “I’m shocked that people would think that 40 could represent a positive,” she said.
[close]

Fauci himself is aware of this. He speaks to this at 4:22 into this video

Expand Quote
If you get a cycle threshold of 35 or more, the chances of it being replication competent are minuscule. You almost never can cultivate virus from a 37 cycle threshold. So if someone does come in with a 37, 38, even 36, you’ve gotta say it’s just dead nucleotides
[close]

Also, Decreed, I get the hypocrisy that I’m posting a video from your trusted covid source of info now to make a point after formerly shit talking them. In this case dude is asking Fauci some good questions and I give him props for broaching this topic so early into the pandemic.

The overall point is that the pcr tests are prone to false positives and that by not mandating a cycle threshold that was more likely to give accurate results there was an over abundance of false positives being reported.

I do have follow ups to Loki, but I did say I wasn’t going to continue that conversation on here so it’s in the PMs and I’ll spare you guys.
It's all good and I encourage you to watch more of the recent Twiv podcasts where he and his fellow scientists break down pre-printed and peer reviewed papers.   I first found Vincent on the Lex Fridman podcast.  You can think whatever you want of Fridman, but listening to Vincent, I knew he knows what he's talking about.  He's been studying and teaching virology at Columbia University for 40 years.

What they and you are saying is absolutely correct. PCR tests can be too sensitive and if you test positive at a high threshold of 35, it's more than likely you aren't producing enough infectious virus to infect someone else and this is in part skewing the number of cases.  He's always been one saying antigen tests are far better. 

There is also a difference between someone who is infected opposed to someone who only has been exposed.  To be infected you need the virus to reproduce inside of you.  With exposure you could have been talking to someone, got some virus in your nasopharynx and it didn't reproduce.  Yet you could still test positive on a PCR test.  I think this happens and there are people who were asymptomatic thinking they got Covid which they actually didn't.

So yeah they do think that these positive cases shouldn't be counted and we should be looking more at hospitalization and deaths.  Also this goes back to the point where people get it wrong saying the vaccines don't work because they don't understand how the vaccines work in the first place.  It's main purpose is to prevent serious disease and death and not only infection.  They say we don't test for everyone who got infected with Polio, only the ones who have paralysis. 

I think you might find they agree with you on some things.  They understand and don't necessarily like Big Pharma, Amy in particular doesn't agree with Fauci or other doctors or scientists at times.  They don't like how mainstrem media are portraying everything, cherry picking information or going to wrong sources.  Yet they agree on one thing, that people should without a doubt get vaccinated.

Fibs

• Rep: -11
« Reply #918 on: December 13, 2021, 11:18:26 AM »
Hey Loki, how important is the Booster? Like say what's the % chance of contracting/spreading covid comparing an unvaxed/already had it/vaxed/boosted? I got my moderna in February. From what I understand the vaccine had like 5% chance of breakthrough, and after 8 months its like 6% or 7% chance (or in scarier terms, 37% more likely). If what I said is accurate, the zeal with which people are pushing the booster does not seem warranted. I don't know shit about virology and I am opposed to learning about it, but those stats are easy for anyone to understand. Am I way off?

Coming to a skateboard forum for answers about a global pandemic should be everyone’s main priority.

Loki700

« Reply #919 on: December 13, 2021, 03:09:22 PM »
I finally caught up with everything posted in the vax thread and thank you for the apology on there. I thought some of what you said was kinda harsh, but didn’t take offense to it. You clearly care enough to take the time to cite info for your opinions and for that I thank you.

Since I said I wouldn’t continue the conversation on the thread I’ll hold true to that and send this to you on here.
I'm going to only continue the conversation in the thread, because there's really no reason to not continue it in the thread.  I've cooled down by now, and while I'm doubting I can change your mind, I am hoping that a lurker who was on the fence reads all of the information I've put forward and decides to get the vaccine.  I literally have nothing to gain by continuing to have this conversation in pms, nor do I see the point.

Pfizer expects to make 65 billion dollars for 2021 and 2022 from the vaccine. That’s a lot! https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/pfizer-raises-covid-19-vaccine-sales-forecast-36-billion-2021-11-02/

The fact that Scott Gottlieb is on their board of directors after just working as the fda commissioner is fucking scary to me. Are you familiar with the term “regulatory capture”?
That is indeed a lot, and as I have said I think it's gross that they're using this as a means to make such an ungodly amount of money rather than just replacing their expenditures.  But using how much they profited to say that's the only reason they're pushing the vaccine is the same as saying no doctor has ever cared about actually treating people since they've profited from it. 

But at the end of the day you can't definitively prove why they are pushing the vaccine.  You can use the fact that governments not related to the companies in any way are pushing the vaccine as well as evidence that it's likely not just profit, especially since they are losing money by encouraging their citizens to get vaxxed, but that's it.

I am familiar with the concept of regulatory capture, but someone moving from the public sector into the private sector is not an indicator.  In industries that need to work closely with the government agencies, such as the FAA and aerospace companies, of which I can speak from first hand experience, there's a lot of movement of people from companies to the government agencies or vice versa.  Realistically it's in your own best interest to move jobs every few years otherwise you'll only get cost of living raises.

Pfizer now says they’ll need 75 years to release the data for their vaccine. https://www.notlinkingtothisschlock.com

This seems insane to me.
Just a heads up, RT is a known propaganda outlet for Russia that frequently puts forth conspiracy theories, so not the best place to get your information.

The FDA did not say it would need 75 years to release the data.  329,000 pages of information were requested, and every single line of that text needs to be gone through with a fine toothed comb to see if there is any information that needs to be redacted because it's got personal information of participants in the trials or proprietary information specific to Pfizer.  If they miss even one thing, they can be sued into oblivion essentially.  So redacting information is super time consuming, far more time consuming than simply reading a report.

Due to the intensive nature of the ask, the FDA did say they would release 500 pages per month, every month, starting immediately.  Realistically, they're actually doing pretty good on that request all things considered.

Also, you did compare it to the Black Death. So that’s not a straw man. “We could let the virus run its course and cull the population until there aren't enough people to transmit it and have it mutate effectively, thus stopping its propagation.  That's what happened with the black death.”
Nowhere in there did I compare them; I didn't say this is just like the Black Death.  What I did say is that the virus, like every other virus that causes death, will spread until the population gets to such a point that it cannot sustain itself anymore, and then will effectively "end".  That doesn't mean the death toll will be the same nor did I say that. I used the Black Death because that's the most well known pre-inoculation pandemic that people know, and it illustrates the point well.  Saying that I compared them is a straw man.  But continuing to argue this point back and forth won't be fruitful.

Why not engage with my comments about ivermectin, and hydroxychlroquine? There is a lot of evidence that these work. My point was that we have effective treatments and it’s not about just letting the virus run its course. I think for those that are at risk they should take the necessary precautions and for everyone else who is not at risk and is in the 99.7% who survive they should be able to live their lives.
I ignored it because I thought it was bad faith because it seems like the information on these was widely known.  It seems that I was mistaken on both counts.

The data available shows that hydroxychloroquine has no effect on covid.  It also is known that in high doses it can have negative effects.  Trying to use it to treat covid is like trying to use antacids to treat covid.

Likewise, ivermectin has been shown to have no beneficial effect on covid, and is also dangerous in high doses.

People who are at risk, as well as people who are not, should get vaccinated to end the disease.  There is no known method for ending the course of a virus prematurely short of being vaccinated and developing antibodies.

Also, if you are vaccinated, you are more easily able to live your life without worry, and the sooner we make it so we don't have to worry about covid, the sooner we can go back to normal.

I get that you think I’m an idiot and a conspiracy theorist, but this whole thing does not make sense when a one size fits all approach is taken. I think we should be excited by the fact that omicron is mild and no one has died from it. Hopefully that can help get us to herd immunity and back to some semblance of normality.

I don't think you're an idiot.  You are bordering on conspiracy theorist if you don't already fit the definition.

The thing is that a one-size-fits-all approach is the only thing that will work.  This is a virus, not an individualized illness.  Our bodies all work the same when it comes to fighting off viruses, and that is through antibodies.  To develop the antibodies, we need to be vaccinated.  Natural immunity is not as protective against the virus and do not last as long.  Literally the only way to stop this virus and build a herd immunity is to be vaccinated.

I'll look at the rest of the stuff in this thread when I have a chance.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2021, 05:30:09 PM by Loki700 »

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #920 on: December 13, 2021, 04:26:01 PM »
The plague is caused by a bacteria, so there is no pre/post inoculation for it. But I digress. Get vaccinated.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

straight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #921 on: December 13, 2021, 04:48:02 PM »
you know you can get myocarditis from covid19 as well right? and the chances of getting it are higher if you test positive than by developing it after the vaccine .. the anti-vax “logic” is so frustrating

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #922 on: December 13, 2021, 05:21:04 PM »
has anyone received myocarditis from it? i read that a healthy teenage boy is more likely to receive myocarditis than be hospitalized from it. so at least for me, do you understand why i'm not getting in line?
does that make sense?
if you're fat, diabetic or over the 69 yr, i can see why. but young people? just seems cray-cray.

aye shut the fuck up with that ableist "fat, diabetic, old person" shit, mr. cray cray. guess you're scared of a big bad vaccine.

I'm healthy as fuck and got the shit kicked out of me from the Delta. 4 months out and I've gotta have a chest CT tomorrow. Similar with my partner. healthy & young and has had a resting heart rate in the high 90s since her infection. 

there's no conspiracy with this vaccine.

Also, here are the stats on US height and weight averages

Men:
Height in inches: 69.0
Weight in pounds: 199.8
Waist circumference in inches: 40.5
Women:
Height in inches: 63.5
Weight in pounds: 170.8
Waist circumference in inches: 38.7

that's some generalized obesity and comorbidities are the norm for the average American. Not to mention almost 35% of the total population being 65+.

sounds like you're pretty self absorbed to me

straight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #923 on: December 13, 2021, 05:28:33 PM »
i'm not so sure, straight. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/sep/10/boys-more-at-risk-from-pfizer-jab-side-effect-than-covid-suggests-study

you’re argument is that boys are more likely to be hospitalized for side effects from vaccine than being hospitalized from getting the virus

my argument is that you’re more likely to get myocarditis if you catch covid than developing myocarditis as a side effect from the vaccine

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #924 on: December 13, 2021, 05:52:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
has anyone received myocarditis from it? i read that a healthy teenage boy is more likely to receive myocarditis than be hospitalized from it. so at least for me, do you understand why i'm not getting in line?
does that make sense?
if you're fat, diabetic or over the 69 yr, i can see why. but young people? just seems cray-cray.
[close]

aye shut the fuck up with that ableist "fat, diabetic, old person" shit, mr. cray cray. guess you're scared of a big bad vaccine.

I'm healthy as fuck and got the shit kicked out of me from the Delta. 4 months out and I've gotta have a chest CT tomorrow. Similar with my partner. healthy & young and has had a resting heart rate in the high 90s since her infection. 

there's no conspiracy with this vaccine.

Also, here are the stats on US height and weight averages

Men:
Height in inches: 69.0
Weight in pounds: 199.8
Waist circumference in inches: 40.5
Women:
Height in inches: 63.5
Weight in pounds: 170.8
Waist circumference in inches: 38.7

that's some generalized obesity and comorbidities are the norm for the average American. Not to mention almost 35% of the total population being 65+.

sounds like you're pretty self absorbed to me
[close]
jabbed jabronis can still spread it. you don't take it for others, it's billed as lessening the symptoms, that's all. so if i'm of the age that the shot is more dangerous, it just seems counterintuitive to take it. 'ableist' isn't a thing, fat, old and diabetic are literally at higher risk of death from illness. no healthy child has died of it alone. these things are important descriptors to diagnose problems.

here's the thing, and I'm not going to waste my time providing sources you won't read, but folks who are vaccinated are far less likely to spread a viral load. no getting around that.

Loki700

« Reply #925 on: December 13, 2021, 09:42:19 PM »
The plague is caused by a bacteria, so there is no pre/post inoculation for it. But I digress. Get vaccinated.
Well shit, I had always assumed it was a virus and never checked.  Thanks for the correction, I’ll have to find another more relatable pandemic now.

artskool

• Rep: 31
« Reply #926 on: December 14, 2021, 10:08:58 AM »
ANECDOTAL/NOT SCIENCE WARNING

Yes, he was vaccinated. Not sure which one. He did not get sick, and also did not pass it on to the other guy he was traveling with. Generally it seems like both severity and transmissibility comes down to the viral load that you carry. Vaccinated people carry less virus, get less sick, transmit at lower rates. In this case, you can see how both of us being vaccinated was the end of the line for that potential vector back into society at large/my young kid/my elderly parents, etc.

Expand Quote
[close]

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #927 on: December 14, 2021, 11:09:39 AM »

Yes, he was vaccinated. Not sure which one. He did not get sick, and also did not pass it on to the other guy he was traveling with. Generally it seems like both severity and transmissibility comes down to the viral load that you carry. Vaccinated people carry less virus, get less sick, transmit at lower rates. In this case, you can see how both of us being vaccinated was the end of the line for that potential vector back into society at large/my young kid/my elderly parents, etc.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

for sure. That's what I was thinking. I'm fully vaccinated and was fully vaccinated when we caught Delta in August. We live in one of the least vaccinated areas of the state and could have caught it in the grocery store... Anyhow, I asked because my partner and I were both required to be around large groups of people in the days prior to realizing we were getting very sick.

With contact tracing we learned that NO ONE we had spent time with also go sick at that time. The vaccine most certainly does lessen the viral load!

Decreed Bratton

« Reply #928 on: December 14, 2021, 11:28:34 AM »

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
In this case I think a couple of things could have happened.  He could have just been exposed and had minimal virus like I said in a previous post or he had high enough antibody levels from the vaccine that stopped it from reproducing. 

It's probably too late now, but if he took a PCR test he should have asked at what cycle he tested positive.  I believe it goes to 40 cycles.  The higher the cycle, the less virus.  If it was a low cycle like 10 then he had a lot, if a high cycle like 35 then not that much. 

He could have also done an at home antigen test after the PCR.  There a lot of people who are PCR positive, but negative on the antigen test which says you probably don't have a lot of virus in you.

So cases like these where the person was vaccinated and are asymptomatic shouldn't be counted IMO.  This only leads to people either getting scared thinking cases are going up or antivaxxers saying the vaccines don't work.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #929 on: December 14, 2021, 05:27:55 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Well shit, I had always assumed it was a virus and never checked.  Thanks for the correction, I’ll have to find another more relatable pandemic now.
I mean, small pox is the really big one, but we finally got rid of that by using vaccines. Last Podcast did a 4 or 5 part series on the black death earlier this year though. Definitely check that out.