Author Topic: bikes  (Read 309182 times)

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1156
  • What, me worry?
Re: bikes
« Reply #3090 on: April 01, 2023, 11:27:45 AM »
It's just cloth newbaums tape. I sold all my kashimax protectors when they jumped up in price. And thanks! I feel like I've got it in a good spot now. It just needs a Chris king headset and some disco hubs and it'll be perfect. I might get some of those sks raceblade fenders or whatever

Such a good build. Love a basket bike

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 552
« Reply #3091 on: April 01, 2023, 02:04:40 PM »
Just placed my order for my new roadie.

Can’t wait for it to come in.

swongolianbbq

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 54
« Reply #3092 on: April 01, 2023, 11:20:54 PM »

Such a good build. Love a basket bike

Thanks! The basket is so handy for real

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #3093 on: April 02, 2023, 08:45:10 AM »

Hell yeah, what’d you get?

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3094 on: April 02, 2023, 09:45:04 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This. But with 45mm Scope R4.A carbon wheels.

Steel is real.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #3095 on: April 02, 2023, 10:15:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Steel is real.

Damn that’s a sick one. Post pics and a ride review when you get it!

swongolianbbq

• Rep: 54
« Reply #3096 on: April 02, 2023, 10:56:33 AM »
Doooope

Mr. Pickles

• Rep: 39
« Reply #3097 on: April 02, 2023, 11:38:30 AM »
My Dad gave me an 82 Schwinn 5-speed cruiser that he bought new, 40 years ago. It's been sitting at my uncle's place for at least 30. It's pretty beat, but the frame is solid. I'm going to do something with it, I just don't know how much. There's some rust on the frame and the black paint is pretty dull, but I don't know how in-depth I want to get with prepping and powder coating something. Going to have to get new wheels though; they're rusty and dented, and the rear hub has an internal drum brake that needs to go. The ass on this thing weighs A TON. 26" with 126 hubs look cheap enough. I'm not really going to replace anything, other than the wheels and brakes. Cables obviously. Maybe the saddle. I know how these projects go, I'll probably end up replacing everything and spending $500 on a free bike and ride it once a year.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3098 on: April 02, 2023, 11:58:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Steel is real.

[close]

Damn that’s a sick one. Post pics and a ride review when you get it!

Thanks!

I plan on calling in sick to work when this thing comes in — which will be a few weeks as it’s coming from Germany. I’ll most def do a ride review.

This is an all-road, so it’s gravel capable and I’ll be rocking 36mm tires (coming from 23mm) so I can’t wait to feel how comfortable this ride will be.

Planning a route that has some road and packed dirt ;D

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #3099 on: April 02, 2023, 05:34:49 PM »
A standert is a lottery bike for me. They’re so nice.

I happened upon this while getting a bike for a few months back.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #3100 on: April 03, 2023, 05:39:48 AM »
My Dad gave me an 82 Schwinn 5-speed cruiser that he bought new, 40 years ago. It's been sitting at my uncle's place for at least 30. It's pretty beat, but the frame is solid. I'm going to do something with it, I just don't know how much. There's some rust on the frame and the black paint is pretty dull, but I don't know how in-depth I want to get with prepping and powder coating something. Going to have to get new wheels though; they're rusty and dented, and the rear hub has an internal drum brake that needs to go. The ass on this thing weighs A TON. 26" with 126 hubs look cheap enough. I'm not really going to replace anything, other than the wheels and brakes. Cables obviously. Maybe the saddle. I know how these projects go, I'll probably end up replacing everything and spending $500 on a free bike and ride it once a year.

My sincere advice from a one-time career bicycle mechanic is absolutely do not sink $500 (or $100) into a 30 year old Schwinn.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

c. 1995

• Rep: 31
« Reply #3101 on: April 03, 2023, 06:08:05 AM »

My commuter, get around town bike

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3102 on: April 03, 2023, 06:09:16 AM »

A stone cold classic.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #3103 on: April 03, 2023, 08:59:53 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

My sincere advice from a one-time career bicycle mechanic is absolutely do not sink $500 (or $100) into a 30 year old Schwinn.

Seconded (signed, another former bicycle mechanic)

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #3104 on: April 03, 2023, 09:00:24 AM »

Mr. Pickles

« Reply #3105 on: April 03, 2023, 10:25:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I know, I know. But I probably still will. I've been wanting a klunker for a minute and if all I need is wheels and brakes, I might as well just go for it on this.

I'll probably just strip the paint and hit it with spray.bike.

c. 1995

• Rep: 31
« Reply #3106 on: April 03, 2023, 11:10:27 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Thanks! For me it’s the perfect commuter

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3107 on: April 03, 2023, 11:29:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
I know, I know. But I probably still will. I've been wanting a klunker for a minute and if all I need is wheels and brakes, I might as well just go for it on this.

Adding to this — if there was rust on the outside of the frame, there could be more on the inside. Be careful as you don't want that thing breaking on you at the welds.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1973
« Reply #3108 on: April 03, 2023, 11:35:51 AM »
took my first ride of the year yesterday. Love this thing.

Mr. Pickles

« Reply #3109 on: April 03, 2023, 03:30:22 PM »
Here's the Schwinn:

And here's my bike: Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross. 1x11, xt with the bar end shifter. I've had this a year and it's been a townie with a basket, a single speed, and now this. This is probably its final form.

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 294
« Reply #3110 on: April 03, 2023, 05:49:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

i can’t really say no to sinking a bunch of money into a bike that doesn’t warrant it at all but i would definitely advise against stripping and painting, it is super time consuming and really not worth it. i tried it on a bike last year, did everything right, multiple coats of primer and paint, let it cure for weeks and used multiple cans of that expensive (and highly toxic) clear coat for cars and it chips so easily. it’s fun to concoct your own color scheme, but unless you can powder coat just keep the patina.

sle_epy

• Rep: -96
« Reply #3111 on: April 03, 2023, 07:07:26 PM »
Man, all these bikes are so sick! I wish I could afford the type of bike that I really need. I have upper back issues so if the bike doesn't fit, doesn't have the right handle bars, isn't light, has the wrong whatever I can't do it it's too painful. I realize it's only a few hundred bucks to cobble together a decent starter bike but it's hard to set that aside while buying decks and shoes every 6 or 8 weeks on a tight budget. That said, I think about it a lot so does anyone have similar between the shoulder issues (spasm mostly that seizes up my back and makes me light headed / nauseous from the pain)? What type of bike do you ride to prevent it?
eau de toilette: Sk8IQ by Sle_epy

Skibb

• Rep: 68
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #3112 on: April 03, 2023, 11:34:39 PM »

A perfectly reasonable.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3113 on: April 04, 2023, 06:50:51 AM »
Man, all these bikes are so sick! I wish I could afford the type of bike that I really need. I have upper back issues so if the bike doesn't fit, doesn't have the right handle bars, isn't light, has the wrong whatever I can't do it it's too painful. I realize it's only a few hundred bucks to cobble together a decent starter bike but it's hard to set that aside while buying decks and shoes every 6 or 8 weeks on a tight budget. That said, I think about it a lot so does anyone have similar between the shoulder issues (spasm mostly that seizes up my back and makes me light headed / nauseous from the pain)? What type of bike do you ride to prevent it?

If you go into a competent bike shop and explain your issues they can help you find something which works for you. I don’t know about the budget issue, but it’s worth looking into.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3114 on: April 04, 2023, 09:03:47 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If you go into a competent bike shop and explain your issues they can help you find something which works for you. I don’t know about the budget issue, but it’s worth looking into.

This.

A consult with a proper shop is usually free. Talk to them and they'll make a general assessment for a bike that will best fit your needs based on your height/weight/build, use, and expected mileage. 

A fitting — an adjusting of the bike to your body to the millimeter — will cost some money, but it's worth its weight in gold.

That said, that's the best

cky enthusiast

« Reply #3115 on: April 04, 2023, 12:06:37 PM »
search "trek 26"" on craigslist

buy the cheapest one with fully functioning components

size the saddle roughly to where your pelvic bone is from the side

never buy another bike again

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3116 on: April 04, 2023, 12:53:23 PM »
search "trek 26"" on craigslist

buy the cheapest one with fully functioning components

size the saddle roughly to where your pelvic bone is from the side

never buy another bike again

I search “trek” and “specialized” and sort by lowest price. Get past a few dozen kids bikes and you’re onto the 800s, 900s, Rockhoppers and the occasional Stumpy.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 51
« Reply #3117 on: April 07, 2023, 01:38:18 PM »
Bought a Giant Escape 3 from my local bike shop. I was amazed that after 20 years I can still ride a bike. Guess the saying is true. Anyway, I’m already overwhelmed with the gears. Will be keeping it in the middle and call it a day. Don’t think madness will take me with this hobby. Skateboards are so simple and that’s what makes them addictive (to me).

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #3118 on: April 08, 2023, 06:51:54 AM »
This week marks the start of the outdoor riding season again. Was nice to get out a couple times this week and  chat with people I haven’t seen in a few months.

Also bike is coming along. Hopefully be on the road with it in a week or so.

ungzilla

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 993
« Reply #3119 on: April 08, 2023, 06:58:46 AM »
this bike finally works

i had a pseudo-derailleur chain tensioner doodad on there that did not fucking work and i'd get slipping every time i put a lot of force into a pedal stroke. went back and got a single tooth smaller rear freewheel and removed a chain link and now it's seemingly the perfect length despite my vertical dropouts, but most importantly, no slipping. raw aluminum is cool and i stripped this frame (used to be same as fork). also, sorry the bike hasn't heard that shalom is no longer copacetic.