Author Topic: bikes  (Read 309770 times)

323-BALM

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 46
Re: bikes
« Reply #3510 on: December 13, 2023, 05:20:27 AM »
Ah, i see.

Chafing is the worst. I thought it was just some minor discomfort until it really happened to me. Hot day, couple hours of pedaling in regular underwear. Oh man I’m queasy just remembering it…walking like the cartoon cowboy from the wagon wheel after school psa.
Got into padded bike shorts after that. Chamois butter too. Euro style with menthol let it tingle…
I rarely ride without padded liners anymore…although last week I did a 90 minute mtb ride without them.
Always under shorts or pants though. I can’t see having to talk to a civilian dressed like a roadie. No way lol
You've clearly never smelled a cauliflower fart.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1075
« Reply #3511 on: December 13, 2023, 07:10:04 AM »
For me, padded vs. unpadded is entirely situational.  I have many pairs from my days racing, so if I'm going mountain biking all day? Padded shorts (bibs, actually) underneath some over-shorts. Running around town on my commuter bike? Regular-ass pants and underwear.

I will say that I've done plenty of rides where my ass would have been absolutely wrecked if I had tried to wear regular cotton underwear for 120 miles.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

hiljentaa

• Rep: 318
« Reply #3512 on: December 13, 2023, 08:00:32 AM »
Got a hardtail MTB a couple months ago. Hyped, haven't had a bike in a couple years after the degenerates of the Front Range stole both of my bikes (custom steel fillet-brazed road bike that I built from the frame and another hardtail).

I have done a ton of thru-hiking and I'm hoping to translate that to thru-riding/'bikepacking'. Trying to do the research on bags and gear to outfit my bike is so daunting though. Ultralight backpacking gear is super niche and usually built by small companies that don't have the huge marketing budgets that all these bike companies have.

Sorting thru the offerings of 'the industry' to find the ideal option of each category is annoying to me. I guess I just need to pick the brain of someone who actually does this shit instead of trying to wade thru blogspam and youtube personalities.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2023, 08:26:11 AM by hiljentaa »

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3513 on: December 13, 2023, 08:26:53 AM »
"Bikepacking" is really just a fancy word for bicycle touring. If you're on a modern hardtail, you're probably not going to be using panniers, so you want a seatbag in the style of the Revelate, of which there are now about a zillion knockoffs. On the front, you will probably add a "roll" bag, meaning a long tube-shaped bag with Velcro straps that go around the handlebar. Next you have the frame bag, which can be really useful, but can also severely limit the amount of water you can carry, depending on the size. You can get frame bags made for specific frames, which fit perfectly, or you can buy a generic frame bag which will usually attach to the toptube and leave your bottle unmolested. Finally, I recommend a stem bag or two like the kind Revelate created, for which there are again myriad cheap knockoffs that work just fine.

If you end up using a full-size frame bag, you can carry your water by attaching something like this to another part of the frame or your fork, and attaching water bottles there.

All of these bags are expensive if you're buying Swift, RandiJo, Revelate, Ron's, etc. But honestly, you could probably outfit yourself with an entire "bikepacking" kit like this for under $200 buying the generic bags on eBay/Amazon.

Or, do what I do and ride an old mountain bike with panniers.

hiljentaa

« Reply #3514 on: December 13, 2023, 08:40:26 AM »
Yeah, I'm aware of all the generalities.

I'm not doing a seatbag when a rack and panniers is way more secure and doesn't mess with dropper operation. Current thought there is Ortlieb QuickRack with their Gravel (25l) panniers. A handlebar bag and a stem bag or two should round it out?

I guess where I'm at is, which one of these 1000 different stem bags do I buy? Which handlebar bag/harness out of the 100 offerings available?

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3515 on: December 13, 2023, 08:51:51 AM »
Yeah, I'm aware of all the generalities.

I'm not doing a seatbag when a rack and panniers is way more secure and doesn't mess with dropper operation. Current thought there is Ortlieb QuickRack with their Gravel (25l) panniers. A handlebar bag and a stem bag or two should round it out?

I guess where I'm at is, which one of these 1000 different stem bags do I buy? Which handlebar bag/harness out of the 100 offerings available?

Gotcha. Yeah, I spent years trying to make the whole seatbag configuration work before I just finally switched back to panniers. It's a joy when everyone needs an hour to carefully pack all their belongings into their boutique bags and I'm jamming everything into the same pair of Jandd panniers I bought for $3 at a yard sale in 2007.

For stem bags, I've had the same Revelate for the past ~10 years, and then I recently purchased this fairly generic Amazon one and I can say that it appears to be every bit as good as my original Alaskan-made bag.

As far as handlebar bags go, I don't really have too many strong opinions, but I have a friend who gave up on his boutique handlebar bag in favor of the Ortlieb with its incredibly secure attachments and complete waterproofness.

hiljentaa

« Reply #3516 on: December 13, 2023, 09:19:01 AM »
Yeah the ease of packing and retrieval is definitely a plus for panniers vs seatbag. I'm also considering using a usually-empty backpack lashed to the rack for dry or long-resupply sections.

Thanks for the stembag chat. I guess those are pretty cheap and not as important as the handlebar bag.

I like the idea of the harness systems like the Miss Grape Ilcoso.

Having a hard time with the frame bag idea. With 25l of pannier space and a handlebar bag, that would be equivalent capacity to what I've used backpacking (with much longer sections between resupply).

Why turn your frame into a sail and make picking up your bike nearly impossible? I dunno, I guess I'm missing something there..
« Last Edit: December 13, 2023, 09:28:19 AM by hiljentaa »

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3517 on: December 13, 2023, 10:25:02 AM »
Yeah, I was gifted a full-frame framebag for my hardtail and I never use it. Instead I just use the basic Jandd "Large Framebag" (which looks to be discontinued), which leaves plenty of room inside of the triangle for two large water bottoms and still gives me enough storage to stuff my tent poles, a stuffable jacket and snacks. IMO a better choice than the full size frame bags, unless you're planning on bikepacking something like the Colorado Trail.

easymoneysniper

• Rep: 31
« Reply #3518 on: December 13, 2023, 10:45:53 AM »
want to get into biking. leaning towards a hybrid bike because i'll be doing some trail and some road riding, not really sure what my goals will be but i just need a new hobby to get me outside and active.

any advice on buying new or used bikes, and what models to go for? my parents may also have some bikes in the garage that need tire repairs, is it worth investing into these rather than buying another bike? thanks guys

addie pray

• Rep: -527
  • u a whole goofy
« Reply #3519 on: December 13, 2023, 02:23:09 PM »
90's 26" mtb (trek, specialized hardrock/stumpjumper/streetstomper) are the best bikes for the price and u can outfit them to do anything

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1589
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3520 on: December 13, 2023, 10:56:02 PM »
You might be able to just throw some new tires on your parents bike.  Something with a bit of tread for the trails…. Get riding and then see what type of terrain you ride more, then pick your bike. 

sharkjumper

• Rep: 40
« Reply #3521 on: December 13, 2023, 10:59:12 PM »
On the bag talk…
Chrome has some good handlebar bags. Can usually catch a good sale from them too.
I have a front basket so have been using a RAL/simworks loader bag. Good stuff.

My buddy has a top tube bag that is long and skinny. Maybe a good compromise on a frame bag. You could get get long stuff like tent poles in there.

breezer

• Rep: -16
« Reply #3522 on: December 16, 2023, 12:30:18 PM »
"Bikepacking" is really just a fancy word for bicycle touring."

Isn't part of bike packing carrying minimal kit so as to achieve optimal distance?  Trad tourers will load their bikes with kit, while bikepackers dispense with tents, cooking utensils etc....that allows them to cover way more territory. 

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3523 on: December 17, 2023, 07:52:42 AM »
"Bikepacking" is really just a fancy word for bicycle touring."

Isn't part of bike packing carrying minimal kit so as to achieve optimal distance?  Trad tourers will load their bikes with kit, while bikepackers dispense with tents, cooking utensils etc....that allows them to cover way more territory.

That's one way to bikepack, but it's not the way to bikepack, just like there are ultralight and minimalist backpackers, and there are backpackers who carry everything and the kitchen sink.

When I first encountered the term in the 00s, it was commonly used to refer to people who packed up their mountain bikes with frame bags, butt rockets, etc., and then did "bike touring" via singletrack. Now it just seems to mean some form of primarily off-road bike touring. But either way, it's a distinction without a difference.

streetmeat

• Rep: 169
« Reply #3524 on: December 17, 2023, 07:59:49 AM »
bag options/configurations are driving me crazy. after being on the extreme side of UL backpacking for a decade its somehow making the decision even harder. in my mind im like ‘i could just put my entire 5lb backpacking kit into a dry bag and strap it literally anywhere, why do i need all these little bags?’ 

vicious cycle

• Rep: 166
« Reply #3525 on: December 18, 2023, 03:35:30 AM »
want to get into biking. leaning towards a hybrid bike because i'll be doing some trail and some road riding, not really sure what my goals will be but i just need a new hobby to get me outside and active.

any advice on buying new or used bikes, and what models to go for? my parents may also have some bikes in the garage that need tire repairs, is it worth investing into these rather than buying another bike? thanks guys
Used bikes are tricky if you don't know much about bikes. So i would recommend to asked someone who has knowledge. Most people selling their bikes for to much because they think it's still worth it but as a bike mechanic I can tell you, many are not.
I would check out some dealers and try out as much bikes as possible before you buy anything. And go to different dealers if possible. Some wanna make a quick bug, some are really professionals and know their shit.
Check out some cross country bikes, hardtail should be fine, 26" is kinda small, I mean it's fun but you have to pedal more. And it's a thing of the past... I would prefer 27.5" depends on what kinda trails you wanna ride. But even 29" is totally fine for trail riding. I personally would never go back to 27.5..
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

c. 1995

• Rep: 31
« Reply #3526 on: December 18, 2023, 05:48:26 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Used bikes are tricky if you don't know much about bikes. So i would recommend to asked someone who has knowledge. Most people selling their bikes for to much because they think it's still worth it but as a bike mechanic I can tell you, many are not.
I would check out some dealers and try out as much bikes as possible before you buy anything. And go to different dealers if possible. Some wanna make a quick bug, some are really professionals and know their shit.
Check out some cross country bikes, hardtail should be fine, 26" is kinda small, I mean it's fun but you have to pedal more. And it's a thing of the past... I would prefer 27.5" depends on what kinda trails you wanna ride. But even 29" is totally fine for trail riding. I personally would never go back to 27.5..

Why never 27.5 again if you don’t mind me asking? Been thinking about getting a bridge club

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3527 on: December 18, 2023, 09:02:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Why never 27.5 again if you don’t mind me asking? Been thinking about getting a bridge club

FWIW I've got a 650b/27.5 "adventure"/gravel/whatever bike and it's great. IMO for a bike like the Bridge Club (off road tourer), it's a much better wheel size than it is for a trail bike, where 700c/29" has won the war for all but the smallest sizes and most niche bikes.

Ultimately I don't think it really matters. 700c/29" will roll over things a little more easily, and 29" wheels are "faster" (all things being equal). 650b/27.5" is better for smaller riders, but not by much and it I don't actually believe that you're going to feel these differences on a fully rigid touring bike like the Bridge Club.

But as far as touring bikes go, the final word IMO is that 26" and 700c/29" wheels, tires and tubes are much more commonly available and, depending on how far and where you're planning to go, that should really matter more.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2023, 11:14:19 AM by manysnakes »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1589
« Reply #3528 on: December 18, 2023, 05:22:08 PM »
is it the same though as people just getting into skateboarding and talking about wheelbase?

if dude is just getting started...I'd say go with what you got and start researching.....

bartlaser

• Rep: 16
« Reply #3529 on: December 19, 2023, 05:50:37 AM »
I just learned about this site last night, and it looks like an awesome resource for anyone in the market looking for a new bike-  https://bikeinsights.com/

My problem is understanding bike geometry charts and how all those numbers add up to a bike's fit.  This site makes it easier for me to get an idea of a frame's fit compared to the one I have or between two bikes I'm considering in the future.

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 291
« Reply #3530 on: December 19, 2023, 07:20:53 AM »
advising against 26" is one of the worst things i've read on here.
used bikes are not that tricky, if you find something your size that looks good, research it and the retail/average sold price to see if it's a good deal or not. and when checking out used bikes in person, test ride, make sure everything works and can be adjusted, nothing rusted or seized, no dents on the frame, etc. i think it's easy to tell when a bike has been treated well. though i would probably go with whatever your parents have, especially if they just need tires/tubes.

vicious cycle

• Rep: 166
« Reply #3531 on: December 19, 2023, 08:36:23 AM »
advising against 26" is one of the worst things i've read on here.
used bikes are not that tricky, if you find something your size that looks good, research it and the retail/average sold price to see if it's a good deal or not. and when checking out used bikes in person, test ride, make sure everything works and can be adjusted, nothing rusted or seized, no dents on the frame, etc. i think it's easy to tell when a bike has been treated well. though i would probably go with whatever your parents have, especially if they just need tires/tubes.
Maybe.. I don't know what bikes you ride or have riddin in your lifetime. I just can share what I know from a mechanic perspective. I'm a trained professional with a decade of experience. Many people came to me with used bikes, i mostly talk about highend stuff, or what used to be high end. Starts with suspensions that have never seen service. Brakes that have never been bleeded, running on break disc's that are way over min. measurements. Chains and sprockets that "look" clean but have never been changed and are way over miles so you have to change everything in the near future. Spokes and rims that are fucked, even when they "look ok". Headsets that are watered but hey they turn. Bearings rusted into the frame, mostly common on fullys that got "cleaned" with a pressure cleaner, winter bikes and bike park bikes. The list goes on but whatever. Maby I'm just to picky because I'm a mechanic and have seen too many shity used bikes.
Mostly bought on ebay from people with no clue.
And if you wanna ride 26" man, go for it.. I've never seen a 26" in years besides kids bikes. Even 27.5 is kinda rare these days besides women sizes and mullet dirt bikes. Damn even my 70 year old dad rides a 29" pedelec these days.
I'm German btw, so all I refer to is the marked here. I have no clue what's going on elsewhere. All I know is that the US likes gravel bikes it seems. And I don't speak for anyone but myself. Maybe someone else has a different opinion or experiences.
I like 29" because it's fast (not in startup but after) and stable, more ground room and more traction and because I'm 186 cm big. It feels just nice.
27.5 is also great don't get me wrong. I think a mullet style bike could be something I would ride too. Best of both, but I haven't tested one yet.
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

323-BALM

« Reply #3532 on: December 19, 2023, 08:47:06 PM »
All things equal, 26” has been dead for a while.
But all things are not equal.
If the only bike you can get is a 26”—thats way better than not having a bike.

Skibb

• Rep: 68
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #3533 on: December 20, 2023, 05:13:22 AM »
is it the same though as people just getting into skateboarding and talking about wheelbase?

if dude is just getting started...I'd say go with what you got and start researching.....

100% this. Get what you got and go riding, don’t get caught in the madness.

breezer

« Reply #3534 on: December 22, 2023, 06:11:35 AM »
26' is still going strong.......and a 90's steel mtb, or alloy for that matter, is a solid choice to get rolling. 

https://www.instagram.com/_2ndlifebikes/?hl=en-gb

323-BALM

« Reply #3535 on: December 24, 2023, 04:42:37 AM »
bonkers scenery, fair trails

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3536 on: December 24, 2023, 06:14:13 AM »
26' is still going strong.......and a 90's steel mtb, or alloy for that matter, is a solid choice to get rolling. 

I love that people are fixing up old 26” bikes, but I wouldn’t exactly say that it’s “going strong” when you can no longer find a folding bead 26” tire in a bike shop.

breezer

« Reply #3537 on: January 02, 2024, 05:16:36 AM »
2 weeks into E-bike ownership and I'm loving it.  I can fit both kids on the rear deck - and even though its midwinter here I am using it way more than I expected....so far so good!

« Last Edit: January 02, 2024, 05:23:38 AM by breezer »

trash

• Rep: 15
« Reply #3538 on: January 02, 2024, 06:08:35 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I love that people are fixing up old 26” bikes, but I wouldn’t exactly say that it’s “going strong” when you can no longer find a folding bead 26” tire in a bike shop.

I think it depends on the shop. I haven't lived in the US for a few years but you can find 26" tires all over Europe. I opted to do a recent Bridge Club build with them because of how cheap you can find 26" wheelsets built around good hubs on the used market.

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 291
« Reply #3539 on: January 02, 2024, 07:07:35 AM »
yeah it's probably a location thing, but here in minneapolis there are several shops within a few miles of me that stock 26" inch tires