Author Topic: bikes  (Read 306879 times)

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 797
Re: bikes
« Reply #3570 on: March 04, 2024, 04:25:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
make sure your seatpost collar isn't stretched btw. overtightening that shit too much forces it together which pulls the seat tube out of shape. you can always shim it with a piece of a coke can and it'll work fine either way, i just wouldnt be suprised if the QR skewer isn't the issue
[close]

Cheers dude. I think I didn't tighten it enough, dude that sold me the bike was way taller than me.

I passed my local this morn to get a deck for a mate who told me last night she wants to learn to skate, and the owner told me he has a fairdale carrier for me, just needs a strap! Stoked! Anyone got any DIY ideas for making a strap?
[close]
Hey, that’s sick. Not sure exactly how it’s supposed to sit, but an old bike tube is always a good and simple strap solution imo.
[close]

also the replacement strap is $8

https://shop.fairdalebikes.com/collections/fairdale-skaterack/products/fairdale-skaterack-bungee-strap

Cheers, I'm trying to find one in the EU that delivers to France.

sharkjumper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 40
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3571 on: March 04, 2024, 12:21:22 PM »
Seems like you could use a voile strap or a bungee cord.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3572 on: March 04, 2024, 10:00:17 PM »
Seems like you could use a voile strap or a bungee cord.
Yeah I'll see tonight. I'm sure could even just use a shoe lace to tie it down.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3573 on: March 13, 2024, 09:56:15 AM »
Pretty stoked in this bike. I had a reissue of Real's Sluggo deck hanging in my office and randomly checked it's the same year as the bike (well the og one was if that makes sense) 1991 so set it up.
Used an old BMX tube for a strap for the Fairdale and had some Vans/Cult grips laying about. Tried changing the pedals but only had a short 15mm spanner so they will have to wait.
God,  after only being on BMX bikes for the last twentish years it's so strange being on a 26" let alone having gears lol.

sharkjumper

• Rep: 40
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3574 on: March 13, 2024, 09:07:14 PM »
Pretty stoked in this bike. I had a reissue of Real's Sluggo deck hanging in my office and randomly checked it's the same year as the bike (well the og one was if that makes sense) 1991 so set it up.
Used an old BMX tube for a strap for the Fairdale and had some Vans/Cult grips laying about. Tried changing the pedals but only had a short 15mm spanner so they will have to wait.
God,  after only being on BMX bikes for the last twentish years it's so strange being on a 26" let alone having gears lol.

All around awesomeness in that photo.

Skibb

• Rep: 68
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #3575 on: March 13, 2024, 11:23:37 PM »

Hell yeah dude. The world is your oyster with that thing man, an old 26-incher will take you anywhere.

Setup looks sick as well.

c. 1995

• Rep: 31
« Reply #3576 on: March 26, 2024, 01:49:22 AM »
https://youtu.be/2KmaINbwhtc?si=D0mkYOzV5Y605z4J

Loved this. The Fahey, the sick build, the little bit of skating, the whole vibe. Good shit. Don’t know how to make YouTube embed these days.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 315
« Reply #3577 on: March 29, 2024, 03:49:06 PM »

I just got this yesterday. Took it for a short spin to the local park. Gonna go on a longer ride with the lady today!
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3578 on: March 30, 2024, 03:33:48 AM »

I just got this yesterday. Took it for a short spin to the local park. Gonna go on a longer ride with the lady today!

That's sick! Both the bike and the setup. Enjoy!

bartlaser

• Rep: 16
« Reply #3579 on: March 30, 2024, 04:33:08 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That's sick! Both the bike and the setup. Enjoy!

Sweet rig.  I'm running that same deck at the moment too.

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3580 on: March 30, 2024, 09:29:00 AM »
Thanks fellas! It'd been a while since I got a bike.. I got a Fairdale secondhand last month only to be stolen a week later  :'( :'( :'( :'(

So I got this one, my first new bike in ages! Btw that 8.38 DLX shape goes! Digging all the bikes on here, especially ones with all the skate racks, esp the custom made ones!

[

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3581 on: March 30, 2024, 09:53:53 AM »
I'm thinking about getting a cheap sattle bag for the other side of mine for wax, skate tool , water bottle/cans etc.

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3582 on: March 30, 2024, 11:10:20 AM »
I'm thinking about getting a cheap sattle bag for the other side of mine for wax, skate tool , water bottle/cans etc.

I wanna but a small bag for a bike tool and what not- the frame bags look cool and convenient
« Last Edit: March 30, 2024, 10:22:54 PM by fulfillthedream »

[

Gnarfunkell

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 135
« Reply #3583 on: April 01, 2024, 06:22:54 AM »
Been absolutely loving going out on scenic rides after realizing I can just barely fit my bike in my car. I don't know much about bikes, but I got lucky with my brother-in-law giving me this basically unused bike for free. He put it together years ago but didn't get around to using it much, and when he heard I was looking for a bike he said I can take this one.

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3584 on: April 01, 2024, 07:57:31 AM »
thats a good come up!

[

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 310
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #3585 on: April 01, 2024, 09:08:35 AM »

1990 Specialized Stumpjumper
its main use is for commuting to the rock climbing gym, but it is my ideal bike to ride on Houston's shitty roads

homicidalpsychojunglecat

• Rep: 15
« Reply #3586 on: April 03, 2024, 08:44:49 PM »

its main use is for commuting to the rock climbing gym, but it is my ideal bike to ride on Houston's shitty roads

Damn that looks great.

I've lurked this thread in the past but haven't owned a bike in a few years due to moving somewhere I didn't think I would use one. But I've been inspired in the past few weeks so I just dropped cash and ordered a brand new Surly Bridge Club and I am fucking excited for it to arrive.

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 236
« Reply #3587 on: April 03, 2024, 10:49:12 PM »

Picked this up marin today. Very stoked. I was riding a repurposed mountain bike i got for 200$ a couple years ago so this is a great upgrade. Took it out for a long ride with lots of hills and it felt real nice

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3588 on: April 03, 2024, 11:59:49 PM »
That Giant is sweet! Jealous thou of the stump jumper!

I almost took out some lady this morning on my way to work, we were both cycling on the bike path and she looked back and saw me coming, she singled that she was going to turn left, so I moved to the right of her, she jams on her breaks and swerves all the way to the right edge of the path to do a giant turn...I lock up and almost hit her. Fucking dumb as a rock that one. I should mention that this was at the bottom of a hill and a T intersection of bike paths...

Skibb

• Rep: 68
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #3589 on: April 04, 2024, 12:35:36 AM »

That's sick. I'm kinda confused with the handlebar height & angle vs. your seat height? Weird camera angle or do you have an insanely long torso? Haha.

notinternetfamous

« Reply #3590 on: April 04, 2024, 06:34:06 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That's sick. I'm kinda confused with the handlebar height & angle vs. your seat height? Weird camera angle or do you have an insanely long torso? Haha.

the seat height is comfortable for my pedal strike. it may just be the camera angle. the handlebars sweep back quite a bit and i'm riding in an upright position with my arms in a relaxed downward position with a slight bend in the elbows. i do not have a long torso by any means lol

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1393
« Reply #3591 on: April 04, 2024, 07:09:34 AM »
Left my work stand on the other coast. Gotta replace that soon and tune up the old crosscheck. Big chain ring is toast.

Been putting in 17-25 miles on the fixed gear a couple times a week. I love riding that thing on these almost country roads. Pretty flat with some decent climbing at times.
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

notinternetfamous

« Reply #3592 on: April 04, 2024, 08:38:59 AM »

1988 Miyata 1200 w/ Sante 7-speed sis shifters

I got doored about a month ago while riding the '83 Miyata 310 and I'm still waiting to hear back from my claim whether or not the other party's insurance will take care of everything ($200 Japanese steel fork that I upgraded to about a month prior totally destroyed). I walked away with no major injuries besides a laceration on the jaw which I guess makes me look tough as fuck according to the homies.

This bike has been super fun so far and is way lighter; although I put 600 miles on the 310 so it had sentimental value :(

just wanted to provide an update on the Miyata 1200, swapped for a classic nitto stem, gp5000's and a brooks B17 saddle
since owning this bike (bought in July 2023), i'm about to break 1000 miles considering how much less i bike since moving back to Houston. no where near as bike-friendly as Oakland.

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 509
« Reply #3593 on: April 04, 2024, 08:43:31 AM »
In a desperate attempt to claw myself out of crippling debt, I’ve started buying and flipping anything I can, including bicycles.  Here’s a couple that I’ve cleaned the rust off of and gave minor tune-ups before selling;

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3594 on: April 04, 2024, 08:59:59 AM »
My buddy did that around 2018-19 in California. He'd buy a bunch of bikes in Los Angeles, drive em up to the Bay and re sell them in that area because they had a bigger cycling scene. Try hitting up college towns to resell.

[

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3595 on: April 04, 2024, 11:34:23 AM »
In a desperate attempt to claw myself out of crippling debt, I’ve started buying and flipping anything I can, including bicycles.  Here’s a couple that I’ve cleaned the rust off of and gave minor tune-ups before selling;

I wanted to do that but ended up giving them away. Had a pretty good stable of 80s japanese steel bikes. The panasonic frames were particularly decent

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3596 on: April 04, 2024, 04:59:25 PM »
You just reminded me of the mint condition Miyata I bought from Sally Ann’s for $25 back in the day.  Score of a lifetime, miss that one.

Bought and cleaned up another one today.  Brushed a little black rust paint on the particularly bad frame spots, cleaned and greased the chain which was basically orange, and changed the flat tube.  Almost hate to put it up for sale.

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3597 on: April 04, 2024, 05:16:10 PM »
You just reminded me of the mint condition Miyata I bought from Sally Ann’s for $25 back in the day.  Score of a lifetime, miss that one.

Bought and cleaned up another one today.  Brushed a little black rust paint on the particularly bad frame spots, cleaned and greased the chain which was basically orange, and changed the flat tube.  Almost hate to put it up for sale.

what's your general profit on these flips? are you in a uni town?

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3598 on: April 04, 2024, 06:55:06 PM »
I am in/near a uni town, but my only 2 buyers so far have been working age.  First one I bought for $35 and sold for $80, next was $40 and sold for $120.  Pretty good margins but not something I come up on that often.

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 770
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #3599 on: April 04, 2024, 08:00:24 PM »
Expand Quote

1988 Miyata 1200 w/ Sante 7-speed sis shifters

I got doored about a month ago while riding the '83 Miyata 310 and I'm still waiting to hear back from my claim whether or not the other party's insurance will take care of everything ($200 Japanese steel fork that I upgraded to about a month prior totally destroyed). I walked away with no major injuries besides a laceration on the jaw which I guess makes me look tough as fuck according to the homies.

This bike has been super fun so far and is way lighter; although I put 600 miles on the 310 so it had sentimental value :(
[close]

just wanted to provide an update on the Miyata 1200, swapped for a classic nitto stem, gp5000's and a brooks B17 saddle
since owning this bike (bought in July 2023), i'm about to break 1000 miles considering how much less i bike since moving back to Houston. no where near as bike-friendly as Oakland.
Almost bought that same topo design bag a couple of months ago. Noticed it on sale. Been wanting a bag like that for phone and keys when I do rides with bike shorts. You liking the bag? I have a little topo bag for my handlebars but frame bag would work with my road bikes for sure

nothing's been the since same