Author Topic: Things You Pondered Today  (Read 584776 times)

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
Re: Things You Pondered Today
« Reply #3720 on: September 07, 2019, 06:01:49 PM »
Designing a new "cool" skate helmet. Something not as cumbersome as the current models out there. It might not be as protective; but it will be better than nothing. Growing up, my dad was really into bike racing. We'd go to his races and watch the tour de france on tv. I remember he had different helmets. One was like a spider web with leather wrapped foam. I'm picturing something like that. Lightweight and breathable. Maybe it could even be hidden within a beanie. Or a hoodie.
Last week, I had to attend the funeral of a good friend. He passed away after falling and hitting his head skating at the local park. 5 years ago, the same thing happened to another friend.
Maybe it's time we all start pulling an AA and protect our noggins.
Of course, after designing this, I'll need to find someone cool to endorse it, if its ever to catch on.

When I skate the local park I always wear a helmet. It’s a promise I made to my wife and with two kids I respect it. I have a this helmet:

https://www.google.com/search?q=tsg+superlight&client=safari&hl=en-us&prmd=sinv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi_0OuwgMDkAhUIVN8KHQVuB2gQ_AUoAnoECAwQAg&biw=375&bih=553#imgrc=nxlI9jqTa22HEM

In cold weather I pull the padding out and use a thin beanie. I also use it snowboarding where helmets are super common now.

I would love a less dorky helmet, but the thing I hate the most is the way the helmet moves a little when pushing. I believe side impact is how people die, so that would be the area of the helmet to concentrate on the most.

Would be cool to do custom helmets. You figure a helmet should last five years. I spent $60 and it’s basically a bowl on my head.

The issue will be passing safety standards with something that does not rely on standard materials. I guess you could sell as a beanie with no safety claims but that limits your market.

I like the idea though and I think the skate market is in need of a street helmet. Sorry about your friend. That’s a tough one.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 06:05:29 PM by GardenSkater77 »

FROTHY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #3721 on: September 08, 2019, 07:48:45 AM »
Why methane generated from biomass power plants is considered “carbon neutral” but methane from cattle enteric fermentation is not. They’re both converting stored carbon in plant matter into methane. 

Complements4U

• Rep: 397
« Reply #3722 on: September 08, 2019, 10:20:14 AM »
Why methane generated from biomass power plants is considered “carbon neutral” but methane from cattle enteric fermentation is not. They’re both converting stored carbon in plant matter into methane.
Because the growing of the biomass consumes an amount of carbon from the environment that is equal or less than the output. It's not about the physical process it's about the balance of carbon in and carbon out. Through the supply chain for cows, many carbon emitting processes are used to grow a healthy cow who is then converting stored carbon into methane. For the biomass, it consumes carbon first in order to have stored energy, then releases an equal amount.

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3723 on: September 08, 2019, 10:43:42 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Because the growing of the biomass consumes an amount of carbon from the environment that is equal or less than the output. It's not about the physical process it's about the balance of carbon in and carbon out. Through the supply chain for cows, many carbon emitting processes are used to grow a healthy cow who is then converting stored carbon into methane. For the biomass, it consumes carbon first in order to have stored energy, then releases an equal amount.
But all of the carbon that the cow takes in is from plants, just like biomass. What carbon is the cow consuming and converting that didn’t originate from it’s plant-based food?

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3724 on: September 08, 2019, 11:02:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
But all of the carbon that the cow takes in is from plants, just like biomass. What carbon is the cow consuming and converting that didn’t originate from it’s plant-based food?
Just did some more reading on biomass and although a lot of government agencies consider it carbon neutral, it’s really not. I think that makes more sense to me now. Neither are carbon neutral.

Complements4U

« Reply #3725 on: September 08, 2019, 11:40:05 AM »
I think I am confused because for me carbon neutral refers to energy sources in our grid. What did it take to create the fuel, what was the output of waste and what was the output of energy? It's a balance. Compared to fossil fuels, wind energy, nuclear etc. Theres a plethora of pros and cons, if we look under the "carbon" aspect some energy sources are very carbon neutral. Cows do not provide energy beyond calories, in order to make a cow it requires many carbon emissions. A plant soaks up pure c02 from the atmosphere. Burning it releases that with very little in between. Every time you convert energy waste is released. You want to minimize conversion and maximize efficiency in your energy grid. If carbon is becoming a problem you can compare your sources. Biomass definitely has many cons, so it becomes very confusing to try and argue about environment as a whole or morality, which is what politicians frequently do. It makes people angry and muddies the subject.

Cows contribute to the carbon cycle a certain amount, when do they take carbon away from the cycle? And how much? They should take out almost the same amount of carbon that they contribute from the cycle in order to be neutral.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 12:04:55 PM by Complements4U »

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3726 on: September 08, 2019, 12:09:07 PM »
I was mainly focusing on biomass energy in the form of fermentation of biological matter in big tanks, not burning plants. Biomass energy facilities generate methane gas just like how cows expel methane gas from fermentation in their digestive system. And originally I was wondering why one adds greenhouse gases to the atmosphere (not carbon neutral) and the other one doesn’t. Turns out they both do, because they’re essentially doing the same thing.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 736
« Reply #3727 on: September 08, 2019, 12:56:42 PM »
I was mainly focusing on biomass energy in the form of fermentation of biological matter in big tanks, not burning plants. Biomass energy facilities generate methane gas just like how cows expel methane gas from fermentation in their digestive system. And originally I was wondering why one adds greenhouse gases to the atmosphere (not carbon neutral) and the other one doesn’t. Turns out they both do, because they’re essentially doing the same thing.

You get a certain amount of energy from eating a cow, but producing that same amount of energy through burning biomass releases less carbon dioxide. Meeting human energy needs by producing cows is like making a bonfire in order to cook one weenie.

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3728 on: September 08, 2019, 05:46:09 PM »
Not sure I’m getting my point across, but I appreciate the responses. I’m not talking about the energy output of a cow versus biomass. I’m not talking about energy in/energy out. Also, burning plants is not what I mean by biomass. Countries like Germany create these big vats of animal and plant waste that they ferment in order to produce methane and CO2. That’s what I’m talking about. So, I was simply questioning why one form of fermentation (cow burps/farts) was considered so harmful to the climate, while another (biomass fermentation) was supported as a sustainable practice. After some further reading, I found out that biomass fermentation for energy is not as harmless as the countries that practice it claim it to be. Which is a shame, because Germans pay extravagant costs for their electricity because it comes from “sustainable sources” but nah, not really.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1150
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3729 on: September 13, 2019, 09:06:03 PM »
How are bananas so fucking cheap?

You gotta figure, they’ve got to:

Pay someone to harvest them
Pay someone to package them
Pay for a sticker to put on there
Pay to load them on a big ass boat
Pay someone to sail that fucker wherever it’s going
Pay for the fuel
Pay to gas them with ethylene
Pay someone to transfer them onto an 18 wheeler
Pay the driver of the 18 wheeler and buy fuel
Pay someone to unload them at the store
Pay someone to stock them

Then there’s taxes to pay on everything and of course paying all the executives/IT guys/lawyers/PR people/bookkeepers etc.

And after all of that, I can buy a big-ass cluster of like nine bananas... for $1.40.  How the hell do they pay for all that?

The whole thing seems a little fishy if you ask me.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

WastedHippy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #3730 on: September 13, 2019, 11:54:38 PM »
Let me tell you, I feel like a banana right now, get dat potassium

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -717
« Reply #3731 on: September 14, 2019, 03:00:14 AM »
Don't worry, when we fuck the climate even more, banans might be 100 bucks a pound.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 149
« Reply #3732 on: September 14, 2019, 11:19:14 AM »
Was talking to this girl from sf the other night and I realized that like, normal people have no conception of what a "skate trip" is, and that it's sorta strange to travel incredible distances to play with a toy/look at a thing that jovontae turner did a varial heel right next to. anyway i'm going back to the bay in january it's gonna be sick
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #3733 on: September 16, 2019, 06:34:08 AM »
Kinda weird the way google skews search results, like 2am I'm up for some reason searching moon landing conspiracies. Type in "moon hoax proof" on Google and it's all articles refuting the conspiracies, search the same shit on duckduckgo and you get the actual articles you're looking for.

DanTheDoucher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -195
« Reply #3734 on: September 16, 2019, 07:22:43 AM »

Pay for the fuel

Then there’s taxes to pay on everything and of course paying all the executives/IT guys/lawyers/PR people/bookkeepers etc.

And after all of that, I can buy a big-ass cluster of like nine bananas... for $1.40.  How the hell do they pay for all that?

It's a volume thing. They are harvested/packaged/transported in such large quantities that the price can still remain low at the end of the line for the consumer.
FUCK YOU
not stoked on orcas today. leave the whales alone. big ass black and white motherfuckers. free willy can suck my dick

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3735 on: September 16, 2019, 02:21:09 PM »
These energy drink companies are really slacking on getting their foot in the spiked seltzer game. I don't think I'd ever buy an alcoholic monster energy seltzer, but come on, seems like a no brainer.

WobbleHeadBob

• Rep: 80
« Reply #3736 on: September 16, 2019, 02:33:26 PM »
Was talking to this girl from sf the other night and I realized that like, normal people have no conception of what a "skate trip" is, and that it's sorta strange to travel incredible distances to play with a toy/look at a thing that jovontae turner did a varial heel right next to. anyway i'm going back to the bay in january it's gonna be sick

Totally! i had that same realisation recently too, was talking to agfw and she couldnt wrap her head around going across the world to play on a skateboard. it is kind of weird when you think about it. when you say 'l'm gonna go to Spain to slide on a specific wall' you sound mental to them, but theyll never understand how magical sliding on that wall is.

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 734
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #3737 on: September 16, 2019, 06:53:45 PM »
Maybe if lobotomies never went out of vogue they would have gotten better at them. Imagine, you have some ex you can't get over so you have some future super surgeon laser out the exact portion of brain that contains any memory of her. I know the brain doesn't actually work that way but that was just an example. I'm talking fixing serious mental disorders. I don't know. It's just you never really know what way a technology will go in the early stages and there's almost always a disgusting amount of collateral damage. This thought makes less and less sense as I think about it. Maybe I shouldn't have had that whole bottle of wine and 3 beers.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1150
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3738 on: September 16, 2019, 07:18:58 PM »
Maybe if lobotomies never went out of vogue they would have gotten better at them. Imagine, you have some ex you can't get over so you have some future super surgeon laser out the exact portion of brain that contains any memory of her. I know the brain doesn't actually work that way but that was just an example. I'm talking fixing serious mental disorders. I don't know. It's just you never really know what way a technology will go in the early stages and there's almost always a disgusting amount of collateral damage. This thought makes less and less sense as I think about it. Maybe I shouldn't have had that whole bottle of wine and 3 beers.

Pretty much the plot to that Jim Carrey movie.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1936
« Reply #3739 on: September 16, 2019, 07:36:50 PM »
They can successfully laser out every part of your brain that doesn't like eating newspaper

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3740 on: September 18, 2019, 12:53:50 PM »
"Boner" is an excellent substitute for "Archaeologist".

animalflesh

« Reply #3741 on: September 18, 2019, 01:25:57 PM »
Expand Quote

Pay for the fuel

[close]

It's a volume thing. They are harvested/packaged/transported in such large quantities that the price can still remain low at the end of the line for the consumer.

Also, bananas now are genetic clones of one another which makes them very easy to grow, don’t require  much water or nutrients to grow compared to other fruits and are easily transportable because of how hearty they are when they’re green

DanTheDoucher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -195
« Reply #3742 on: September 18, 2019, 01:30:02 PM »
"Boner" is an excellent substitute for "Archaeologist".

Q: What does a boner do?

A: They dig up dinosaurs.

FUCK YOU
not stoked on orcas today. leave the whales alone. big ass black and white motherfuckers. free willy can suck my dick

ghettygreensili

• Rep: -9
« Reply #3743 on: September 18, 2019, 05:48:08 PM »
These energy drink companies are really slacking on getting their foot in the spiked seltzer game. I don't think I'd ever buy an alcoholic monster energy seltzer, but come on, seems like a no brainer.

Four Loko?

Aka Energy Beer?

Aka Using a key to puncture a hole in the side of a redbull, pouring half of it out and replacing it with raspberry vodka your sorority sister bought for 35$ from an upperclassman and slamming it all at once because you don't have a connection to actual drugs and college is all about experimentation..... right?

All in All, I'd probably give it a try

Frontside grind blind on the government

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3744 on: September 18, 2019, 07:28:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Four Loko?

Aka Energy Beer?

Aka Using a key to puncture a hole in the side of a redbull, pouring half of it out and replacing it with raspberry vodka your sorority sister bought for 35$ from an upperclassman and slamming it all at once because you don't have a connection to actual drugs and college is all about experimentation..... right?

My friend, my friend. We all know how to make an energy alcohol. But are we making enough millions off of it yet? Neg

I was trying to help someone design a logo, and I came up with Stryke Force. I got a pretty sick brand. People with assault weapons will love it.

What a find

« Reply #3745 on: September 18, 2019, 10:02:29 PM »
When you see roaches dead on their back, what happend to them? Were they throwing down backflips and just ofed themselves?

They have dirty ass wings and legs so there's no way they are subject to the endless back rocking stage

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -717
« Reply #3746 on: September 18, 2019, 10:06:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Four Loko?

Aka Energy Beer?

[close]

My friend, my friend. We all know how to make an energy alcohol. But are we making enough millions off of it yet? Neg

I was trying to help someone design a logo, and I came up with Stryke Force. I got a pretty sick brand. People with assault weapons will love it.

Red Bull and vodka was all the rage, until some people with pre-existing heart problems died.

Also, there is one in Russia: Jaguar.

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #3747 on: September 18, 2019, 10:45:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Four Loko?

Aka Energy Beer?

[close]

[close]

Red Bull and vodka was all the rage, until some people with pre-existing heart problems died.

3 college students died over here in Washington from drinking too many 4Lokos, they took the caffeine outta them so people started dropping Caffeine free 4lokos into a pitcher of redbull and calling them Loko Bombs. Always thought that was pretty special, I respected the brand loyalty and purism.

50mm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #3748 on: September 19, 2019, 01:31:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Four Loko?

Aka Energy Beer?

[close]

[close]

[close]

3 college students died over here in Washington from drinking too many 4Lokos, they took the caffeine outta them so people started dropping Caffeine free 4lokos into a pitcher of redbull and calling them Loko Bombs. Always thought that was pretty special, I respected the brand loyalty and purism.
last time I had a Joose I blacked out when I was supposed to be helping pack to move that night. Ended with my cousin telling me my dad killed someone and me crying calling him on the phone asking if it was true.

Complements4U

« Reply #3749 on: September 19, 2019, 06:45:34 AM »
If I had pasta salad for lunch, like fusilli with black olives feta and the works, maybe even a bit of bacon, like 2 bowls of this meal. Then someone's all  like "yo pebble head whatd u have for lunch" and I'm all like, "salad you fatass bitch" taking the W and handing him the L, am I being morally wrong? Am I lying?