Author Topic: Independent Trucks Mid  (Read 75990 times)

Fifty8mm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 136
Re: Independent Trucks Mid
« Reply #660 on: July 03, 2023, 01:49:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Anybody else here tried teflon tape?

I used tellow teflon tape or Gas rated teflon tape and my kingpin has not come loose on my mid standard 144s. These are the first ones that came out as well if that makes a difference.

They skate great but wheelbite more thatn my 151 thunder hollow team trucks.

I like magic carpet riding over monster trucking, so i switched to the 144s
[close]

Damn, this is a really good idea. I've got some DIY IKP 144s which always come loose despite ample blue Loctite, and I've got rolls and rolls of Teflon tape, so I'm going to try this next.

Use the yellow one though. Shits a little thicker.

I like my teflon like i like my hinas. Thick as fuck.

logjammin

• Rep: 346
« Reply #661 on: July 10, 2023, 09:44:33 AM »
Took apart my front truck today to find the shaft nut totally loose inside the baseplate. Done with ever using these Indy IKP plates now. Unless anyone can attest to it not happening with the forged ones?

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #662 on: July 10, 2023, 04:44:28 PM »
Took apart my front truck today to find the shaft nut totally loose inside the baseplate. Done with ever using these Indy IKP plates now. Unless anyone can attest to it not happening with the forged ones?

Do NHS still warranty that, like they used to, or have they had enough and don't want to deal with the Mid kingpin issue any more?

Guessing it might be out of acceptable warranty period too, but it never hurts to check.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

logjammin

• Rep: 346
« Reply #663 on: July 10, 2023, 07:31:12 PM »
I used some old converted ace classic plates with the jb weld for the hold as an emergency and they actually worked perfect today. They used to feel like something was off with the turn for some reason, and have a little kingpin play in the baseplates, so I just threw them in the junk box. Today I equipped them with Kreper pins and I think the thicker and sturdier steel alleviated the issue of play. Nice to no longer be on frankentrucks. I'd keep some forged inverted Indy plates as a backup option if they're worth it, I wish they just sold the baseplates though.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #664 on: July 10, 2023, 08:53:49 PM »
By using an off brand kingpin you're still on Frankentrucks

lurkpiv

• Rep: 4
« Reply #665 on: September 15, 2023, 03:12:01 PM »
Anyone here have experience with standard Thunder teams and cast Indy mids? Asking because those seem to be the closest in height. Looking for comparisons on how they turn, grind, pinch, stability, etc. Most of my experience is with standard cast Indys and Venture highs.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2023, 03:33:04 PM by lurkpiv »

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1016
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #666 on: September 15, 2023, 04:00:03 PM »
Anyone here have experience with standard Thunder teams and cast Indy mids? Asking because those seem to be the closest in height. Looking for comparisons on how they turn, grind, pinch, stability, etc. Most of my experience is with standard cast Indys and Venture highs.

Thanks!

Seriously?

Mindys skate like indys

Thunders Teams skate like thunders

Tiltmode Army Reservist

• Rep: 22
  • RIP Ben Raemers
RIP Ben Raemers

In A Jar

• Rep: 35
    • just say null avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #668 on: September 15, 2023, 07:49:22 PM »
Had a lot of track madness lately since I've sized down and want a lower truck.  I tried the Reynolds mids and really loved the geometry, but man the heaviness got to me on flip tricks.  I'm wondering if forged plates would actually help for flip tricks since it seems most of the weight is in the hanger?

lurkpiv

• Rep: 4
« Reply #669 on: September 15, 2023, 07:57:54 PM »
Seriously?

Mindys skate like indys

Fair enough. I guess I'm wondering if Indy mids make them turn/behave a little more like a Thunder due to the decreased height. Assuming that since they're lower, they won't turn quite as deep as a standard.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 833
« Reply #670 on: September 15, 2023, 11:29:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Seriously?

Mindys skate like indys

[close]

Fair enough. I guess I'm wondering if Indy mids make them turn/behave a little more like a Thunder due to the decreased height. Assuming that since they're lower, they won't turn quite as deep as a standard.

They turn like a shitty Indy and they squeak no matter what you do. The height doesn't affect turn as much as you might assume, there's 49mm trucks that will turn on a dime or surf...its mostly in the geo/bushing setup.

If you want a mid height truck with a deep turn ace classics are where I'd start.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 365
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #671 on: September 16, 2023, 10:06:53 AM »
Fucking hated the set of mids I had. Felt wildly different than normal Indy’s to me.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #672 on: September 17, 2023, 02:40:34 PM »
Had a lot of track madness lately since I've sized down and want a lower truck.  I tried the Reynolds mids and really loved the geometry, but man the heaviness got to me on flip tricks.  I'm wondering if forged plates would actually help for flip tricks since it seems most of the weight is in the hanger?

The forged mids are still my favorite Indy if you are hunting for a low [indy] truck that has that style of geo; Ace low comes damn close but only with hard bushings.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #673 on: September 17, 2023, 03:38:40 PM »
Wonder if they'll discontinue them? I don't see many sponsored riders on them anymore and my locals don't carry them which says a lot since Rhino is also local.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #674 on: September 17, 2023, 04:48:43 PM »
Wonder if they'll discontinue them? I don't see many sponsored riders on them anymore and my locals don't carry them which says a lot since Rhino is also local.

Most of the shops that I have seen have overstock of the mids and have been trying to clear them out, some for pretty much wholesale prices just to get rid of them.

Maybe the forged or hollow versions have a little more interest, or everyone just over ordered everything when they first came out and people went back to whatever other options they were on before.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
« Reply #675 on: September 17, 2023, 05:26:08 PM »
it seemed for a hot minute truck companies were stepping over each other during and post COVID.  I wouldn't be surprised, but honestly I think they were fine, not a bad truck.  i actually think they are a good thunder alternative, the turn better, shorter wheelbase, still pretty heavy though and there's a point where the best move is to pick one of the three traditional trucks ie. thunder/venture hi/regular indy.

brownjenkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #676 on: September 17, 2023, 09:01:57 PM »

Even Tiago might have ditched them. Looks like his trucks have a normal kingpin in all of his more recent IG stuff.

mstuntbless

• Rep: 12
« Reply #677 on: September 17, 2023, 09:22:08 PM »
I think I may be in the minority here, but I have had 2 pairs of Mindys. 1 set of the forged hollows and 1 set of regulars. I like the pop feel of the standards and the weight to them. The Forged hollows were low and dope as well. I hope they figured out the IKP issues because it’s a great truck. For those asking about the comparison to thunders, the height is the only thing that is similar.

Vintagebody

• Rep: 84
« Reply #678 on: September 17, 2023, 10:44:42 PM »
Carlos Ribeiro just recently released his colorway on the mids. He seems to love them

brownjenkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #679 on: September 18, 2023, 07:31:14 AM »
For the record, I actually really liked my set of forged hollow mids but I unfortunately had the loosening kingpin issue. Loctite did the job of keeping it in place, but I adjust the tightness of my trucks throughout their life and I didn't want to be dealing with that over and over

I think I'd be perfectly happy with an Indy mid with a regular kingpin, even at the cost of some clearance.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #680 on: September 18, 2023, 08:17:50 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Even Tiago might have ditched them. Looks like his trucks have a normal kingpin in all of his more recent IG stuff.

Gnar'd for being a fellow IG sleuth

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
« Reply #681 on: September 18, 2023, 09:52:02 AM »
I think I may be in the minority here, but I have had 2 pairs of Mindys. 1 set of the forged hollows and 1 set of regulars. I like the pop feel of the standards and the weight to them. The Forged hollows were low and dope as well. I hope they figured out the IKP issues because it’s a great truck. For those asking about the comparison to thunders, the height is the only thing that is similar.

What trucks would you think they are close to (other than Indys)? 

LebowskisRug

« Reply #682 on: September 18, 2023, 10:12:29 AM »
When I came off Mindys due to shaft nut issues I thought they'd be closest to a Thunder due to the height, but I found Forged Hollow Indys to be the best transition. Probably because at the end of the day lots of tricks depend on scooping the board, which the turn-in does contribute to and that was closest.

It was pretty night and day. I went from Mindys on the AH Eagle shape, then FH and my pop was much nicer. Tried both on an 8.38/14.38 and was like "why did I waste my time on these"

More recently I was chatting with an Indy sponsored rider at my local skatepark. Total ATV/bowl crusher. He had the IKP plates with standard hangers and had tried to loctite the shaft nuts in place, but he got hung up on something and it yanked the nut out of place and the assembly was wobbling. Dude rides fairly tight trucks and hated the Mid hangers. Next time I saw him he was on Thunder 151s with Indy bushings so.... I guess he is "fucking with the rest"

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #683 on: September 18, 2023, 10:51:16 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What trucks would you think they are close to (other than Indys)? 

Forged Hollow Mindy (50.5mm)
Mini logo (47.5mm) <- lighter than either and no IKP
Ace Low (49mm)

ML are terribly underrated trucks. If you want a low indy that doesn't way like an ACE, this is what you want. KP clearance could be better tho.

But if you really want a truck like a Thunder or Venture but has a smoother indy-ish turn = Royal.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2023, 10:59:21 AM by Xen »

mstuntbless

« Reply #684 on: September 18, 2023, 10:55:09 AM »
When I came off Mindys due to shaft nut issues I thought they'd be closest to a Thunder due to the height, but I found Forged Hollow Indys to be the best transition. Probably because at the end of the day lots of tricks depend on scooping the board, which the turn-in does contribute to and that was closest.

It was pretty night and day. I went from Mindys on the AH Eagle shape, then FH and my pop was much nicer. Tried both on an 8.38/14.38 and was like "why did I waste my time on these"

More recently I was chatting with an Indy sponsored rider at my local skatepark. Total ATV/bowl crusher. He had the IKP plates with standard hangers and had tried to loctite the shaft nuts in place, but he got hung up on something and it yanked the nut out of place and the assembly was wobbling. Dude rides fairly tight trucks and hated the Mid hangers. Next time I saw him he was on Thunder 151s with Indy bushings so.... I guess he is "fucking with the rest"

I agree with you in saying Forged Hollow Indy’s are closest to thunder. I’m curious if Indy had made an effort to actually try and resolve the IKP issue or if they are just letting it slide (pun intended)

LebowskisRug

« Reply #685 on: September 18, 2023, 11:05:29 AM »
I'm not sure it can be resolved really. Maybe the Slappy design is better/different? Frankly, the trucks were sort of a miss and the team riders seem to have all moved on. They're not bad, but just don't really solve a problem. I think people wanted a lower truck, but not necessarily at the expense of a much heavier hanger and KP. The KP and shaft nut assembly is heavier than a normal kingpin/nut. What they should have done instead was modify the plates so the hanger is the same as Ace has done. That way you maintain some clearance without adding weight.

mstuntbless

« Reply #686 on: September 18, 2023, 12:17:36 PM »
Agreed. People buy the after market IKP kit from Indy and think that they are getting a mid. Really it’s just the 55mm height of the standard and it’s heavier. This begs the question…what tricks are you running??

macho taildrop

• Rep: 22
« Reply #687 on: September 19, 2023, 08:30:16 AM »
Is / was the boss on these at any point, or was he always on standard 139s? I only ask because he had that signature model.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #688 on: September 19, 2023, 10:33:59 AM »
Agreed. People buy the after market IKP kit from Indy and think that they are getting a mid. Really it’s just the 55mm height of the standard and it’s heavier. This begs the question…what tricks are you running??

Not sure if you were asking me but right now I have Venture 5.6 cast with the hollow KP and axle. I also have Thunder Standards that I really like.

mstuntbless

« Reply #689 on: September 19, 2023, 10:58:01 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Not sure if you were asking me but right now I have Venture 5.6 cast with the hollow KP and axle. I also have Thunder Standards that I really like.

Tight!! I have heard good things about those ventures.