Author Topic: When did it become acceptable to drag your tail on 5.0’s???  (Read 6719 times)

DarkPools

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
Re: When did it become acceptable to drag your tail on 5.0’s???
« Reply #60 on: August 21, 2023, 11:14:31 PM »
I thought it was well understood by most that it's a spectrum for balance vs drag depending on the spot

Balance your 5-0 and Nose grind tricks as often and as preferable as possible.

Scrape them in specific scenarios where it makes sense: ledge combos (Taylor Kirby's) & transitions are obvious examples.

If I'm playing ledge game of skate, drag still counts on 5-0s to me on defense because it's a slight preference in doing the same trick. The difficulty between drag and balance on smaller ledges seems minimal to me, as I've done both before.

Lastly, how the fuck is anyone nose grinding a ledge while scraping their nose and not getting pitched? The forward inertia is begging you to get pitched anytime you tap the nose down. I've never been able to slide nosegrind because I always stick, so I've always stuck to balancing them.
Super Champion Fun Zone

Dummklaus

• Rep: 45
« Reply #61 on: August 21, 2023, 11:17:42 PM »
i think the chris roberts fs ones where he leans so far toward to ledge that his trucks look like they bend are repulsive

EmilioBestevez

• Rep: 71
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #62 on: August 21, 2023, 11:25:27 PM »
Travis Stenger’s balanced fs 5-0 360flip in the middle of the ledge cancels out the Chris Roberts 5-0.

Terminal

« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2023, 11:37:23 PM »
Jail time if dragging tail on transition. Highly Illegal IMO

Sangriawaterfall

• Rep: 34
« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2023, 11:40:15 PM »
Angle of obstacle, height, length, point of dismount, speed, quality of obstacle….lots of variables to consider. A really long perfectly balanced 5-0 on a really smooth ledge would look just as boring as one with the tail fully dug in

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 777
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #65 on: August 21, 2023, 11:41:06 PM »

Take a load of this guy

Terminal

« Reply #66 on: August 22, 2023, 05:18:34 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Take a load of this guy
Spoken like a true tail dragger. But seriously, tail drag 5-0's on a ledge look cool, but on coping should be pinched or open with no tail touching.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #67 on: August 22, 2023, 06:02:26 AM »
When people realized that policing how other people ride their skateboards is the lamest shit.

i will politely disagree.
it’s a very fine line, between, bullying and inspiring, gatekeeping and toxic positivity**.
i would further argue that a lot of the absolute nonsense dogshit no-comply tic-tac shuv-it safety hands crap of the last few years, wouldn’t have felt so kinky/‘creative’ to the practitioners, if it wasn’t ‘against the rules’ (of decency).
those fuckers owe a tip of the cap, to those that were acerbic enough in the past, to give a random person skating by, shit over something so trivial.
it’s super ok, to me, to not like everything, and to share that. i think it’s a bit helpful. creative writing is garbage, outside of it being a potentially rewarding exercise, for process. but i don’t want to read it.

**i generally despise these types of phrases. they sound so gross. but a younger relative was explaining the concept to me, and the old, bitter, twisted, injured, cruel person that i am, smiled a little.
criticism is ok

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 777
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #68 on: August 22, 2023, 06:03:56 AM »
Oh tail drag equalled "pinched" to me,
I was thinking you only accepted Chris Roberts like manuals on the coping...

Wait wait, so are people pro tail drag talking about a straight 5oh, like a balanced one, but dragged??

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
« Reply #69 on: August 22, 2023, 06:29:28 AM »

Wait wait, so are people pro tail drag talking about a straight 5oh, like a balanced one, but dragged??
As somebody who used to do horrible manual grinds on coping I'll say we def don't need any more of those.

Now as an advocate for tail drag (well more grinds don't always have to be balanced) I'd say it's more case by case. It can be straight but there has to still be something making it harder than a 5050 so leaning back to make it go or full dedication in landing so if you miss you'll land flat on your back etc. Going slow and just doing an 80s tailblock wheelie will prob never look good

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
« Reply #70 on: August 22, 2023, 06:41:16 AM »
Only some weirdos cared in the late 90s. Early nineties no one gave a fuck. I don’t care. I don’t even think dragging a back 5-0 matters

SSBSTRS

• Rep: 6
« Reply #71 on: August 22, 2023, 07:20:02 AM »
Manual grinds look awful

What a fried take. A balanced back nosegrind is a thing of beauty.

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -521
« Reply #72 on: August 22, 2023, 07:47:23 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
As somebody who used to do horrible manual grinds on coping I'll say we def don't need any more of those.

Now as an advocate for tail drag (well more grinds don't always have to be balanced) I'd say it's more case by case. It can be straight but there has to still be something making it harder than a 5050 so leaning back to make it go or full dedication in landing so if you miss you'll land flat on your back etc. Going slow and just doing an 80s tailblock wheelie will prob never look good

What are these manual grinds you speak of? If you balancing a grind the truck should be doing plenty of “grinding”, more than if you put your tail down and are sliding some weight on it.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
« Reply #73 on: August 22, 2023, 08:09:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

What are these manual grinds you speak of? If you balancing a grind the truck should be doing plenty of “grinding”, more than if you put your tail down and are sliding some weight on it.
Well again it's hard because somebody could hold a grind nicely but to use manual as a negative term it would be when the person is tipping like a see saw and nudging the grind along.

Not the best example because it's gnar no matter how he did it but the first two are first that come to mind for the nudge technique. (And also a bit slack to Roberts because he's done a ton of steadily held grinds)

D10S

• Rep: -56
  • la patineta no se mancha
« Reply #74 on: August 22, 2023, 08:18:15 AM »
It is never acceptable to drag your tail on 5.0’s when skating street

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -521
« Reply #75 on: August 22, 2023, 08:19:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
Well again it's hard because somebody could hold a grind nicely but to use manual as a negative term it would be when the person is tipping like a see saw and nudging the grind along.

Not the best example because it's gnar no matter how he did it but the first two are first that come to mind for the nudge technique. (And also a bit slack to Roberts because he's done a ton of steadily held grinds)

Ah ok.  Grinding like this it’s always felt to me like I’m balancing or pushing though sticky spots on the ledge, not like when I’m balancing on a manual with no resistance, if that makes sense.

Either way, I think they look way better personally, but I guess I have a strong preference for tech skating.

exlurker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 557
« Reply #76 on: August 22, 2023, 09:29:14 AM »
Honestly you ballerinas can have your measly one-truck grinds, i'm gonna keep grinding both trucks all the time from my seat of power.

- looks cooler
- literally grinding twice as much
- nollie 180 into switch 50-50 objectively a better trick than equivalent one-truck grinds
- very relatable
- i'm tired

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #77 on: August 22, 2023, 12:46:05 PM »
Honestly you ballerinas can have your measly one-truck grinds, i'm gonna keep grinding both trucks all the time from my seat of power.

- looks cooler
- literally grinding twice as much
- nollie 180 into switch 50-50 objectively a better trick than equivalent one-truck grinds
- very relatable
- i'm tired

nollie 180 into switch 50-50 IS better, and i appreciate you saying so.

Koozin

• Rep: -18
« Reply #78 on: August 22, 2023, 08:13:56 PM »
THPS made y’all think this shit was a balancing act

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 954
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #79 on: August 22, 2023, 09:47:38 PM »
Expand Quote
IF you are really GRINDING (off your trucks) then you have to DRAG.

all that other stuff is a manual on a waxed or slick surface.

It's a booger slide.
[close]

There is literally no more surface area of truck grinding less in either scenario….  This makes no sense.  If anything you feel more of the grind on a balanced one because all the weight is going into the truck and not the tail.  A lot of arguments here sound like they’re coming from guys who don’t know how to 5-0 both ways.

I don't really get to skate butter stuff much. I usually don't drag me tail either. I stand up on the truck mostly. Less friction.

Fakie it really matters.

Back 80 to snowplow is a bad look. Might be the only time when a crook but it's way less g than the real trick.

I definitely think that back 80 crook and front 80 front crooks are not real tricks.

The 80s are wrong. It goes front 80 into crooks back 80 front crooks.

That's the highest level of crooks making it almost as g as back 80 fakie 5oh proper.

Front 80 into 5oh is hesh.

Everything into front crooks is gnarly tho. Switch less so but still gnarly. Switch front crooks lock is basically the not a suski backwards. Just gotta pop one higher.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 954
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #80 on: August 22, 2023, 09:49:38 PM »
Anyone know what KB does? I'm betting tail dragon
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

AllisonChalmers

• Rep: -41
« Reply #81 on: August 22, 2023, 10:24:15 PM »
Was Butteryards draggin is the only question that matters and the answer is yes yes and more yes. Nose and tail

marcusbutler

• Rep: 40
« Reply #82 on: August 23, 2023, 07:30:58 AM »
Depends. I balance my shit on ledges f/s and /bs. 5-0 and nose grinds. But if i'm on a rail. Fuck nah. I'm pushing that shit down. Hubba's are balanced as well. Learning to skate hubbas, I could kick out of the grind when I would balance it. I think I balance my pivot grinds as well lol.
We rode 7.5's" and didn't complain.

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #83 on: August 23, 2023, 07:55:57 AM »
Depends. I balance my shit on ledges f/s and /bs. 5-0 and nose grinds. But if i'm on a rail. Fuck nah. I'm pushing that shit down. Hubba's are balanced as well. Learning to skate hubbas, I could kick out of the grind when I would balance it. I think I balance my pivot grinds as well lol.

This is pretty much what I was saying. If you want to pop out of a 5ver proper you should be balanced so you can smack that tail like an ollie. Big rails get a pass, especially if there steep and your parallel to the ground still looks good.

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"

AllisonChalmers

• Rep: -41
« Reply #84 on: August 23, 2023, 10:40:14 PM »
I feel the exact opposite, big, steep rails being the only time a balanced 5-0 can look cool, and even then, usually look kinda lame as the board and shoulders stay parallel to the ground. Ideally the board and the riders weight need to be leaned back as far as possible. Transition, out ledge or long mellow hubba need to be completely dragged. A balanced 5-0 is like a smith that's not dipped, as in your only doing the trick half way.

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
« Reply #85 on: August 24, 2023, 07:22:46 AM »
Pros and cons to both, kinda lame to feel like it should be one way. Shit like this is why so many of the 90’s OGs are such man-babies.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #86 on: August 24, 2023, 10:32:32 AM »
I feel the exact opposite, big, steep rails being the only time a balanced 5-0 can look cool, and even then, usually look kinda lame as the board and shoulders stay parallel to the ground. Ideally the board and the riders weight need to be leaned back as far as possible. Transition, out ledge or long mellow hubba need to be completely dragged. A balanced 5-0 is like a smith that's not dipped, as in your only doing the trick half way.

I know this is your opinion and you're welcome to it, but what the fuck? This is the hottest take yet.

Not balancing the grind is arguably more like not dipping the smith, as you're not actually "balancing" the grind to perform the trick and only doing it halfway. Not balancing the grind is objectively easier on most obstacles for 5-0, so by that logic not fully dipping the smith = not balancing the 5-0.
Super Champion Fun Zone

sk84gay

• Rep: -24
« Reply #87 on: August 24, 2023, 10:34:51 AM »
I still think it looks better if the tail is dragged, especially frontside. Nosegrinds should definitely be balanced though.

A frontside 5-0 needs a bit of tweak also. Parallel with the ledge looks wack and balanced even worse. It's a charge/push through anything grind not a fragile manual.

Ricky Vaughn

• Rep: 269
« Reply #88 on: August 24, 2023, 10:53:26 AM »
Tell the world to eat my dick
I’m a prick motherfucker
Life Hell Tough shit
I’m the bic motherfucker

Uncle Guss

• Rep: -3
« Reply #89 on: August 26, 2023, 12:16:23 AM »
a good balanced back 5-0 is top tier. front looks weird. also shoutout gravesite for that one balanced back 5 down a handrail i still think about that shit