Author Topic: When did it become acceptable to drag your tail on 5.0’s???  (Read 6762 times)

KGB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: When did it become acceptable to drag your tail on 5.0’s???
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2023, 09:59:39 AM »
I never knew it was unacceptable at some point to drag your tail on a 5-0. In my opinion, the only 5-0s that should be balanced are fakie ones.

Could you imagine if that back 5-0 to switch front crook that Taylor Kirby did in his recent part if it was balanced? It would have looked hideous

Hard to imagine anything Taylor Kirby does as hideous lol

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"

sizzle_chest

• Rep: -12
  • Kookin' Ain't Easy
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2023, 10:04:32 AM »
wtf is a 5.0

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2023, 10:28:47 AM »
if ur flipping into it, it ought to be balanced

kookdusoleil

• Rep: 63
  • Have fun out there
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2023, 10:30:06 AM »
Life is short, drag the fuck out of that tail and have fun doing it

my english is bad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • no hablo english
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2023, 11:25:14 AM »
I like to drag the tail on fs 5-O and balanced on bs 5-O

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2023, 11:29:10 AM »
I still think it looks better if the tail is dragged, especially frontside. Nosegrinds should definitely be balanced though.

Here here
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Banned from the room

« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2023, 11:38:47 AM »
It's ok to put the heel down over the tail. Unless you tryna be all crooked and stuff. Then sporting the wood is fine.

Extra points for dragging heel loud AF and staying on the the truck

Suangi

• Rep: 9
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2023, 11:40:49 AM »
I've always dug a tweaked front 5 or suski. Tbh if you can do them on a ledge overcrooks are also sick.

As with everything, depends on the rider. In the wrong hands it can all look awful

Ourladyoftheflowers

• Rep: 100
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2023, 11:48:15 AM »
For sponsored skater video parts judge the tricks subjectively but for having fun in the board I say scrape those 5-0s. Recently a person gave me a whole lot of crap cause I touch on my wallrides. I’m not filming a part I just like riding on walls. The funny thing is I asked if he could do them without touching and he admitted he couldn’t do the trick at all. His excuse was “if I can’t do it right I just won’t do it”. Seemed like a bummer to me cause he’s missing out on doing fun tricks under the assumption that literally anyone gives a shit how he’s skating

EmilioBestevez

• Rep: 71
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2023, 12:10:46 PM »
I think if it’s a front 5-0 and is perfectly straight with the ledge it looks better balanced, but if the tail is dragging the 5-0 looks better when it’s pinched on a slight angle like a crooked grind.  A perfectly straight 5-0 with a tail drag looks kind of stupid.

When it comes to the Chris Roberts 5-0 I don’t think it’s a matter of balanced vs tail drag…I think it’s a matter of whether long fs 5-0s are an aesthetically pleasing trick in general.  I can’t imagine a world where someone looks at that long 5-0 and thinks it would look better with a tail drag…that would look ridiculous.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2023, 12:19:10 PM by EmilioBestevez »

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1572
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2023, 12:12:25 PM »
For sponsored skater video parts judge the tricks subjectively but for having fun in the board I say scrape those 5-0s. Recently a person gave me a whole lot of crap cause I touch on my wallrides. I’m not filming a part I just like riding on walls. The funny thing is I asked if he could do them without touching and he admitted he couldn’t do the trick at all. His excuse was “if I can’t do it right I just won’t do it”. Seemed like a bummer to me cause he’s missing out on doing fun tricks under the assumption that literally anyone gives a shit how he’s skating

That person is just jealous you dare do what's fun to you when they don't because they're riddled with insecurities they wish everyone also shared and project onto you, fuck that person (not literally, or well y'all do y'all). Let them enjoy never knowing how good a wallride feels because of all the mental circus in their head, but with compassion. That means, the next time you do one and they're there and your hand happened not to touch and they saw it, lock eyes, ride up to them, pat their shoulder for sympathetic transmission then roll away into the sunset as far as the next little rock.

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 104
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2023, 12:33:17 PM »
Balancing a 5-0 doesn’t feel satisfying enough to actually make an effort for it, fuck it

Natas_Fauxas

• Rep: 102
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2023, 12:43:26 PM »
Balancing then switching 180 to crook looks dumb.
🚨🚨ILLEGAL!!!! 👇👇👇🚨🚨

witty pseudonym

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2023, 12:49:03 PM »
I got 5 on it. 

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1309
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2023, 12:51:22 PM »
balanced 5-0s remind me of chris roberts and thats why I drag even if I land balanced.

Pastasash

• Rep: 79
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2023, 01:14:48 PM »
What if you're terrible at manuals? I can't nose manual at all so do I get a pass for not being able to balance my nose grinds?I swear I'm trying but unless it's the last 3 inches of the ledge I can't ever hold it  :-\

I'm pretty sure my back 5-0s are typically balanced especially on a bump to ledge but it's never intentional, and apart from hitting a quick front 5-0 on a ledge, mine always scrape (ledges, coping, flatbar, etc)

kookdusoleil

• Rep: 63
  • Have fun out there
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2023, 02:10:24 PM »
What if you're terrible at manuals? I can't nose manual at all so do I get a pass for not being able to balance my nose grinds?I swear I'm trying but unless it's the last 3 inches of the ledge I can't ever hold it  :-\

I'm pretty sure my back 5-0s are typically balanced especially on a bump to ledge but it's never intentional, and apart from hitting a quick front 5-0 on a ledge, mine always scrape (ledges, coping, flatbar, etc)

Don’t beat yourself up. This thread is ridiculous.

georgethecat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 637
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2023, 02:18:52 PM »
I scrape hard on the work/life balance

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2023, 02:25:28 PM »
Balance em for sure

It just looks better.

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2023, 02:26:27 PM »
I think if it’s a front 5-0 and is perfectly straight with the ledge it looks better balanced, but if the tail is dragging the 5-0 looks better when it’s pinched on a slight angle like a crooked grind.  A perfectly straight 5-0 with a tail drag looks kind of stupid.

When it comes to the Chris Roberts 5-0 I don’t think it’s a matter of balanced vs tail drag…I think it’s a matter of whether long fs 5-0s are an aesthetically pleasing trick in general.  I can’t imagine a world where someone looks at that long 5-0 and thinks it would look better with a tail drag…that would look ridiculous.

This I can agree with.

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"

FUBAR

• Rep: 247
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2023, 06:10:45 PM »
Drag or no drag, I give zero fucks, just as long as I roll away.

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -528
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2023, 06:42:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I still think it looks better if the tail is dragged, especially frontside. Nosegrinds should definitely be balanced though.
[close]

Yep, hated some of chris roberts' 5-0's because of the balancing
[close]

Bet you gave Pops a pass though…
[close]

He did balance his nosegrinds but not his 5-0s as far as I remember...
I actually don't remember any regular 5-0 of him (Photo, Mosaic, FF ?? I.E. maybe.. )

Balanced 5-0s look wrong to me, especially frontside. A lot of curb tricks come from transition, but this one feels particularly similar to the original transition trick.Then, balancing it comes off a bit odd.
I also immediately thought of Crob, but i felt like he broke the mould by balancing fir so long it in Hot Choc. He sort of turned a hesh trick into a tech one. Still an exception, though.

The one I was thinking of he did 180 to fakie 5-0 perfectly balanced here… (1:45)

Hilariously enough a couple clips later is roberts doing the longest balanced one ever that I always loved. 

Pops does one later in this vid where he crushes tail, so you’re right though, maybe only when it’s the truck facing forward (nose grinds and fakie 5-0).
« Last Edit: August 21, 2023, 06:53:10 PM by Newphone »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1594
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2023, 06:45:33 PM »
it's when skating realized it wasn't just about skating ledges......

'I mean...in the 90's right...'

That was 30 years ago...are you looking for a date...I'm going to say...sometime in the 2000's it became acceptable, ie. it's been acceptable longer than it has not been acceptable......

Banned from the room

« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2023, 07:15:28 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This I can agree with.

Also it's hard to go far when tail draggin.
And what What feels better than a long balanced 5oh? Not too much.
Balance is better....

Also when you are on a rail balances and nice but the 5ohs  begin to ever so slowly pivot on the rail and then you do an ILL dumpy shuv out.

Id trade my car for a public in ground flat bar with nice ground down town Salem.

Like one of those Rob Dyrdek Carl's Jr spots.

Id go exactly like Lynch 's flat bar except we'd have pole jammer ends so you can bash up an on too.

How do I make this happen?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2023, 07:28:01 PM by Uncle Flea »

Weezil

• Rep: 32
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2023, 07:22:15 PM »
Imo scraping 5-0s is hesh, balancing them is fresh. I can think of good examples of both. I prefer the scraped ones but balanced bs 5-0s are sick.

Never scrape on a nosegrind though.

RossDailey

• Rep: -53
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2023, 08:09:22 PM »
It was always acceptable as far as I know.  It’s a 5.0 grind not a manual grind.  The back truck grinds, the front truck is in the air.  Balancing is a bonus, but not a requisite.  Look at how they’re done on ramp, where everything originated.

I hardly remember anyone in the 90s caring about this until Jamie Thomas started doing backside ones like that and when Photosynthesis came out

Started skating mid-90's LA / OC scenes, always 'dragged' my tail.... nobody gave a shit.

I've been doing them like that for 20+ years & will continue to.

Only person to ever call me out is some self proclaimed ex-pro who lurks the local & makes comments on absolutely everything anyone does, and in general just bothers anyone he comes in contact with.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1424
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2023, 08:20:12 PM »
Damn. I thought my 5-0s sucked at this point in life after losing the balance. Looks like i got the slap style going on
Support your local skate shop

Rocuronium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 48
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2023, 09:15:31 PM »
IF you are really GRINDING (off your trucks) then you have to DRAG.

all that other stuff is a manual on a waxed or slick surface.

It's a booger slide.
[img]https://i.pinimg.com/236x/59/48/b8/5948b85016497192c5b5df8b620f75db.jpg[img]

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 778
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2023, 10:27:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Balancing a long fs 5-0 is for psychos
[close]

Feels really good though, especially if there is some resistance from the texture but it's still slick enough so you don't stick (on skatepark metal kind of sucks because you just glide with little feeling). But I think even better when balanced but short and popping out mid ledge, and either way you have to go fast.

It feels weird having to specify 'balanced' because the idea of not balancing a frontside 5-0 but by accident never crossed my mind in twenty plus years. Mind you I'm talking ledges, not rails. To me proper definition and form for 5-0 and nosegrind always was wheelie and nosewheelie ideal just you're grinding, it's part of the principle and just sometimes you slip. Idea of downright sitting on top of the truck crunching it with all your weight, crooked grind style, on purpose feels super gross.

If I picture a balanced fs 5oh it usually looks like a 1 wheel manual with how people pinch toe-side.

This could all be due to 1 guy at my local though

EmilioBestevez

• Rep: 71
« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2023, 11:00:18 PM »
IF you are really GRINDING (off your trucks) then you have to DRAG.

all that other stuff is a manual on a waxed or slick surface.

It's a booger slide.

There is literally no more surface area of truck grinding less in either scenario….  This makes no sense.  If anything you feel more of the grind on a balanced one because all the weight is going into the truck and not the tail.  A lot of arguments here sound like they’re coming from guys who don’t know how to 5-0 both ways.