Author Topic: The Thunder Thread  (Read 146097 times)

rawbertson.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 702
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: The Thunder Thread
« Reply #1620 on: October 10, 2023, 08:10:35 AM »
The 1 thing I do like Aces better for is that i mess up my approaches less often on grinds seemingly becuase the turning is just a tiny bit better. But its not like i am messing up that often on the thunders either, it is a pretty rare thing

it is possible my lines look a little nicer on Aces because there is less tic-tacking etc. but i am so much more consistent on the flip tricks with thunders.

Meathook

• Rep: 78
« Reply #1621 on: October 11, 2023, 06:08:45 AM »
Anyone got recc’s for bushings that don’t freeze in the cold like the stock do?  Not TOO worried about messing with geo but ideally something close to stock.  Indy bushings freeze too.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1622 on: October 11, 2023, 06:50:00 AM »
Bones don't, and don't quote me on this one as I've never ever done it, but I've heard that Tensor bushings fit and don't freeze either. Riptide might make an option that fits and doesn't freeze.

One thing a friend does in the winter is just removes the bottom washer and puts the kingpin nut exactly in the same spot.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1201
« Reply #1623 on: October 11, 2023, 08:08:09 AM »
Anyone got recc’s for bushings that don’t freeze in the cold like the stock do?  Not TOO worried about messing with geo but ideally something close to stock.  Indy bushings freeze too.

skate through most midwest winters and I've never had the aftermarket (conical) indy bushings freeze up on me. 
hardly art, hardly starving

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #1624 on: October 11, 2023, 08:32:34 AM »
Any tips on what bushings to use if i wanna keep the geometry the same? I hate the stock ones because they always blow up on me

hiljentaa

• Rep: 319
« Reply #1625 on: October 11, 2023, 08:41:56 AM »
Any tips on what bushings to use if i wanna keep the geometry the same? I hate the stock ones because they always blow up on me

Indy conicals are very close. Shave down the top bushing a bit and you're there.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1626 on: October 11, 2023, 10:13:26 AM »
If you take the stock top washers and use them on the bottom or use the Bones washer bottom stock on top they're also very close.

El Freegano

• Rep: 219
« Reply #1627 on: October 12, 2023, 03:03:59 AM »
I have been with blue indy conicals for half an year and i am very content. Bottoms were the same as stock, tops were a hair longer, but i didnt shave them, just skated a bit tighter in the beginning and later they have compressed a bit and everything became perfect.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1628 on: October 12, 2023, 09:43:14 AM »

I've used Venom bushing with great success at different times. They are just a hair taller than thunder bottoms (but compress just fine or you can sand them down); significantly better grade urethane with tons of rebound, even at softer duros (helps with compression) they are better feeling than stock.

chillclinton87

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #1629 on: October 12, 2023, 10:11:50 AM »
the last years i skated through winter outdoors mostly and tried the thunder aftermarket bushings in the usual/ stock duro 90A, they come in red and did not freeze. they are the same hardness as the stock bushings but feel way softer so after the winter you might wanna change back.

that would be worth a try and you wouldn't have to mess with the geometry.

mind it wasn't the coldest winters around here, coldest i skated was until around 0 degrees celsius since my knees are bitchy if it is any colder

FGO925

• Rep: 20
« Reply #1630 on: October 12, 2023, 03:03:19 PM »
Been skating Indy standards recently and it blew me away how amazing they are for tailslides. The way the baseplate slides on the edge of ledges makes it a breeze to lock in and hold slides to the point where you need way less wax to get through the ledge. I’ve noticed most nose & tailslides with Thunders tend lock in where your wheels are sliding on the edge making it a bit stickier, where you need to “push” through the slide a bit more instead of just sitting on top.

Just some observations lol. Still prefer thunders overall but man I love being so solid/locked in with the Indy baseplate.   

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1125
« Reply #1631 on: October 12, 2023, 03:07:50 PM »
wade’s thunder clip 😮‍💨

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
« Reply #1632 on: October 12, 2023, 03:33:50 PM »

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
  • The mistery of shadows

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1634 on: October 13, 2023, 09:49:40 AM »
Been skating Indy standards recently and it blew me away how amazing they are for tailslides. The way the baseplate slides on the edge of ledges makes it a breeze to lock in and hold slides to the point where you need way less wax to get through the ledge. I’ve noticed most nose & tailslides with Thunders tend lock in where your wheels are sliding on the edge making it a bit stickier, where you need to “push” through the slide a bit more instead of just sitting on top.

Just some observations lol. Still prefer thunders overall but man I love being so solid/locked in with the Indy baseplate.

On smooth ledges the baseplate is good, on chunky stuff it can catch. You can never fully win with anything it seems.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1635 on: October 13, 2023, 10:47:10 AM »
Expand Quote

fuuuuck

It's all about technique with them...see, Wade here doesn't worry about his wheels sliding because he (same for me) doesn't lock the plate, but instead, tips back on the kick to leverage the fingers of flat and rest on the flat of the kick.

Vintagebody

• Rep: 84
« Reply #1636 on: October 13, 2023, 11:07:29 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

On smooth ledges the baseplate is good, on chunky stuff it can catch. You can never fully win with anything it seems.

^ This. Indys on crusty concrete ledges is... meh. Rather have thunder then. Also going down stuff. The more consistent and slower slide def helps here

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1637 on: October 13, 2023, 11:07:54 AM »

It's all about technique with them...see, Wade here doesn't worry about his wheels sliding because he (same for me) doesn't lock the plate, but instead, tips back on the kick to leverage the fingers of flat and rest on the flat of the kick.

is he still on 147s tho?
which primitive shape?
rictas? which ones? they look nice and slim (crispy pop with the slim wheels)

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1638 on: October 13, 2023, 07:46:37 PM »
My first thought was they look like 149‘s to me

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1639 on: October 13, 2023, 09:23:00 PM »

thanks!

with the gold board i thought maybe 148s, but some of the other clips i thought i saw 147s (slightly more svelte looking hanger).

marcusbutler

• Rep: 42
« Reply #1640 on: October 14, 2023, 12:16:25 AM »

I put some old ass indy bushings in my thunders after the bones mids blew out on me. It's been 6-7 months and they haven't blown out. Turn or feel didn't change going from one to the other.
We rode 7.5's" and didn't complain.

Vintagebody

• Rep: 84
« Reply #1641 on: October 14, 2023, 10:51:28 AM »

Def not 149s. I believe he said 147 on nineclub. He does ride small stuff

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 480
« Reply #1642 on: October 14, 2023, 12:20:33 PM »
Thought Wade was a 148a dude, as that's what those looked like to me
Super Champion Fun Zone

diplodocus

• Rep: 162
  • long neck
« Reply #1643 on: October 16, 2023, 06:13:12 AM »
Anyone got some advice? I really like the way my thunders pop and skate on flat but on transition they’re kinda messing with me.

For starters, i can’t seem to really find the places I normally pinch my stalls. Like bs 5-0 on the heel. Sometimes I’ll just miss and get my full truck on instead of my heel. Also holding grinds on transition just seems way harder, almost as if I’m too pinched in if that makes sense.

Thinking maybe I need different wheels or different board shape or something.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #1644 on: October 16, 2023, 06:19:18 AM »
Anyone got some advice? I really like the way my thunders pop and skate on flat but on transition they’re kinda messing with me.

For starters, i can’t seem to really find the places I normally pinch my stalls. Like bs 5-0 on the heel. Sometimes I’ll just miss and get my full truck on instead of my heel. Also holding grinds on transition just seems way harder, almost as if I’m too pinched in if that makes sense.

I have found that truck width and board shape can fuck up bs 5-0s for sure.
Did you ride the exact same setup before or did you change anything else? There really shouldn't be any difference in how you hold a bs 5-0 if only the truck height changed (and a tiny wheelbase difference...). Which trucks did you ride before?

diplodocus

• Rep: 162
  • long neck
« Reply #1645 on: October 16, 2023, 06:38:44 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I have found that truck width and board shape can fuck up bs 5-0s for sure.
Did you ride the exact same setup before or did you change anything else? There really shouldn't be any difference in how you hold a bs 5-0 if only the truck height changed (and a tiny wheelbase difference...). Which trucks did you ride before?

Riding same set up as before. Just changed my trucks. I was riding aces before. My thinking is that the wb change changed the length of my tail? Idk. I was also thinking the 8.5 trucks on 8.38 made the lunch feel off since it was wider than the board?

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #1646 on: October 16, 2023, 07:10:38 AM »
Wade rides 8.38 Primitive (14.1825" wb, 6.75"t, 7" n) on Thunder HL 148s with Rictas that are Radial Slim styled wheel like this:
https://nhsskatedirect.ca/products/51mm-desarmo-vortex-naturals-white-slim-99a-skateboard-wheels-ricta
I have taken lots of pictures of his setup he often posts it on instagram and I ride his exact board (spencer uses this shape too) except with Team Thunders + spitfire classics instead.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #1647 on: October 16, 2023, 07:23:08 AM »
as far as the baseplate dragging thing
i have not really noticed it as an issue at all for me. I seem to apply the same amount of wax as i always did. i am also riding a lot skinnier wheels though, so that may also be contributing to the ease of slide
i feel like my noseslides actually have gotten way better, it could just be a technique thing, i feel like i am putting my foot in a more ideal place maybe. but i feel like my noseslides and crooks are looking mint since i got these and i can combo so easily.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1648 on: October 16, 2023, 07:23:38 AM »
Wade rides 8.38 Primitive (14.1825" wb, 6.75"t, 7" n) on Thunder HL 148s with Rictas that are Radial Slim styled wheel like this:
https://nhsskatedirect.ca/products/51mm-desarmo-vortex-naturals-white-slim-99a-skateboard-wheels-ricta
I have taken lots of pictures of his setup he often posts it on instagram and I ride his exact board (spencer uses this shape too) except with Team Thunders + spitfire classics instead.

thanks for the info. i appreciate the wade setup responses!

spencer skates indy

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #1649 on: October 16, 2023, 08:01:13 AM »
yep i just meant the board shape 8.38 x 14.1 wb !