Author Topic: The Thunder Thread  (Read 146202 times)

skateboardingenthusiast

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 5
Re: The Thunder Thread
« Reply #1770 on: December 07, 2023, 08:26:47 PM »
Thunders pair well with any kicks. They're probably the most middle ground in every way imaginable. Longer than Ace/Indy but shorter than Venture. Proper mid height. Fairly generic design with no cool wings or thick ass hanger barrels. They rarely are a bad combo with a given deck even if they're not the best. That's why I love em.

If the T2 keeps this theme then we're at near perfection.
Good take. All I’m hoping for with the new Thunder design is a slightly longer baseplate for slides (just enough so the geo isn’t thrown off), a bit of a taller height say at 53.5mm, and more durable bushings. Even with cast plates, they still feel a tad bit low (I ride 148’s). An increase of a couple mills wouldn’t be too drastic of a change, all while still keeping their low to the ground feel.

With that being said, I know the 149 cast plates are 53.5mm tall, while 148 cast plates are 52mm. I suppose I could just get 149 baseplates and rock them with 148 hangars just for the added height. Does Thunder sell baseplates individually?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1771 on: December 07, 2023, 08:32:15 PM »
The cast plates are not 53.5 on any Thunder. All cast Thunders use the same plates and are 52mm except the 147, which are lower from the hanger being different.

I love the height, 53 sounds fine as well.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2023, 09:25:24 PM by LebowskisRug »

diplodocus

• Rep: 162
  • long neck
« Reply #1772 on: December 07, 2023, 09:09:54 PM »
Thunders pair well with any kicks. They're probably the most middle ground in every way imaginable. Longer than Ace/Indy but shorter than Venture. Proper mid height. Fairly generic design with no cool wings or thick ass hanger barrels. They rarely are a bad combo with a given deck even if they're not the best. That's why I love em.

If the T2 keeps this theme then we're at near perfection.

Maybe being on ace for so long corrupted me. Thunders are long to me and probably making me over think it.

skateboardingenthusiast

• Rep: 5
« Reply #1773 on: December 08, 2023, 06:52:09 AM »
The cast plates are not 53.5 on any Thunder. All cast Thunders use the same plates and are 52mm except the 147, which are lower from the hanger being different.

My bad, got my info about the baseplate heights from this slap thread: https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=104383.0

Checked the Thunder website and it appears only the 161’s (9.125) are the only size that do not come with a 52mm tall plate, with the 161’s coming at 53mm tall. https://www.thundertrucks.com/sizing/

Also, I’d like to see an update with the bushing washers. The edges of the bushings washers tend to dig into the bushing.

If anyone from Thunder is reading this thread, we’re asking for just a slightly longer baseplate for more baseplate contact on slides, a slight increase in height of the cast baseplates, and updated bushings that don’t crumble and bushing washers with edges that don’t dig and cut into the bushings.

The hangar design is fine as is, although some added metal on the hangar would be nice, as the longevity of the trucks are not as long lasting as competing brands. Pivot cups have crumbled on me before, as well. This is nitpicking, but its worth throwing out there.

If the rumors are true, I hope these requests fall on the right ears!

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1774 on: December 08, 2023, 10:46:36 AM »
I had some bushing/washer issues and Thunder sent me some more rounded washers that have not bent and do not dig into the sides of the bushings. I think the issue is mostly geometry related as both Venture and Thunder have washers that bind into the hangers.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1050
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1775 on: December 08, 2023, 02:05:58 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
  My bad, got my info about the baseplate heights from this slap thread: https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=104383.0

Checked the Thunder website and it appears only the 161’s (9.125) are the only size that do not come with a 52mm tall plate, with the 161’s coming at 53mm tall. https://www.thundertrucks.com/sizing/

The height difference is all in the hangers, with the baseplates staying the same, either cast or forged (1.5 mm lower than cast) as the two options for baseplates, regardless of hollow or solid kingpins.

143, 145, 147 are all lower hangers
148, 149, 151 are all "normal" at 52 mm tall on cast baseplates, 50.5 mm tall on forged baseplates
161 are taller at 53 mm tall on cast plates, 51.5 tall on forged baseplates

Just to avoid any confusion, as it often gets muddled up.

* Also curious to see what comes of the new design, but I guess we will just have to wait.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2023, 06:09:27 AM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

YeoWhattup

• Rep: 22
« Reply #1776 on: December 15, 2023, 09:10:07 PM »
Im excited for to see what a new design from thunder. Love the hanger and hope they don’t change at all. I just put risers on my 148s with low ace bushings and they are really nice. Anyone else riding 148s-151s with risers?

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 861
« Reply #1777 on: December 15, 2023, 09:16:08 PM »
Yeah. 151s with risers is a combo I rocked for a long long time. Loved it. But these days I can't get off my Aces. I'll no doubt be tempted by these new Thunders if and when they are available. A slightly taller, turnier Thunder could be dreamy, especially with a more nose/ tail slide friendly baseplate deign....

Shame they likely won't be made at Ermico in SF....

Micki Free

• Rep: 6
« Reply #1778 on: December 19, 2023, 05:30:30 PM »
I think im done with thunder bushings…

I ride pretty loose trucks and theyre great when its warm, but man even when the temp gets below like 50 they just harden up so much for me. I switched them with some bones softs and was able to make the nut and kingpin flush and theyre perfect.

Anyone else with similar experience?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1779 on: December 19, 2023, 08:28:40 PM »
Everyone that has ridden Thunders in more than 1 temp range has experienced frozen bushings in the cold or mushy bushings in the heat.

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 751
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1780 on: December 19, 2023, 08:43:29 PM »
Everyone that has skateboarded Thunders in more than 1 temp range has experienced frozen bushings in the cold or mushy bushings in the heat.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

juniormint

• Rep: 142
« Reply #1781 on: December 19, 2023, 10:05:21 PM »
Yeah. 151s with risers is a combo I rocked for a long long time. Loved it.

This is my jam. I’m convinced by the magical properties of this combo and always end up back at it even after long stints sans risers.

Micki Free

« Reply #1782 on: December 20, 2023, 06:15:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Everyone that has skateboarded Thunders in more than 1 temp range has experienced frozen bushings in the cold or mushy bushings in the heat.
[close]

Royal bushings stayed nice and soft for me and it was damn near 30 deg last time i rode em

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 702
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1783 on: December 20, 2023, 06:19:45 AM »
I am not finding the cold to be a problem for the bushings and I live in one of the colder parts of Canada
i will take them to the extreme test in January / February and get back to you, but this time of year has not been a problem for me at all. I'll run my aces with them to compare. I am not leaving my boards in the car anymore this time of year but I was up until we got the first big snow fall.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1784 on: December 20, 2023, 09:45:51 AM »
I remember last year I was skating in November and it got to 45-55 in the mornings and I had to loosen my Thunders substantially. We went to Miami over Thanksgiving for a wedding and I forgot about that and threw my board down out of the car to push to skatepark and instantly wheelbit. They felt so comically loose that I couldn't skate them. Tightened them 2-3 full turns. Came back and went out in 45 degree weather again and my board would not turn the wheels would lift first. Its not a big deal, you just have to kinda remember it.

My friend lives in a place that gets super cold and just takes the bottom washer out in the winter. Same exact nut position on the kingpin.

Micki Free

« Reply #1785 on: December 20, 2023, 07:40:24 PM »
I remember last year I was skating in November and it got to 45-55 in the mornings and I had to loosen my Thunders substantially. We went to Miami over Thanksgiving for a wedding and I forgot about that and threw my board down out of the car to push to skatepark and instantly wheelbit. They felt so comically loose that I couldn't skate them. Tightened them 2-3 full turns. Came back and went out in 45 degree weather again and my board would not turn the wheels would lift first. Its not a big deal, you just have to kinda remember it.

My friend lives in a place that gets super cold and just takes the bottom washer out in the winter. Same exact nut position on the kingpin.

Yea i had a similar experience. I will say the bones softs i put in are actually holding up in the cold pretty well so ill probably stick with those for a little.

marcusbutler

• Rep: 42
« Reply #1786 on: December 20, 2023, 11:42:17 PM »
I think im done with thunder bushings…

I ride pretty loose trucks and theyre great when its warm, but man even when the temp gets below like 50 they just harden up so much for me. I switched them with some bones softs and was able to make the nut and kingpin flush and theyre perfect.

Anyone else with similar experience?

I think after the first session with stock bushings I was over it. Went to bones mediums and the bottom ring kept breaking on me. I threw in some stock indy bushings from a cruiser board. I've been riding the same bushings for over a year now.
We rode 7.5's" and didn't complain.

minilogoflow

• Rep: 86
« Reply #1787 on: December 21, 2023, 11:06:11 AM »
I just switched back to thunders and I'm looking for some risers that fit. I have some with the slotted holes but those move around after doing nose/tail slides. Besides the Real wood risers are there any other brands that fit exact?

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #1788 on: December 21, 2023, 11:17:09 AM »
I just switched back to thunders and I'm looking for some risers that fit. I have some with the slotted holes but those move around after doing nose/tail slides. Besides the Real wood risers are there any other brands that fit exact?
Nope, just use any scissor or knife to easily cut them to fit

Dick Dastardly

• Rep: 11
  • Muttley!!!
« Reply #1789 on: December 21, 2023, 02:05:34 PM »
Hope they don’t change. I’ve ridden thunders for the last 10 years or so and they are perfect as is. Anyone complaining about the baseplate for tailslides I’m putting it down to skill error.
Muttley!!!!

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1312
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1790 on: December 21, 2023, 02:08:08 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Nope, just use any scissor or knife to easily cut them to fit
I really want to know what scissors or knife you use to easily cut off 1/8" of plastic. Haven't tried in awhile but I remember it being a sweat inducing affair.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1791 on: December 21, 2023, 02:08:19 PM »

How much height do you want?

I cut up some rubber sheet scraps that is a good 2 mm thick that works great.  Used a hole punch to do the holes too.

The Bones or Mini Logo 1/10" or something like that are good and did fit well under Thunders from what I can recall - even have the slotted holes and are softer, not harder, so they don't move at all.

They do seem harder to get in some areas though.

https://minilogoskateboards.com/mini-logo-10-rubber-riser-2-pack

minilogoflow

• Rep: 86
« Reply #1792 on: December 21, 2023, 02:39:09 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

How much height do you want?

I cut up some rubber sheet scraps that is a good 2 mm thick that works great.  Used a hole punch to do the holes too.

The Bones or Mini Logo 1/10" or something like that are good and did fit well under Thunders from what I can recall - even have the slotted holes and are softer, not harder, so they don't move at all.

They do seem harder to get in some areas though.

https://minilogoskateboards.com/mini-logo-10-rubber-riser-2-pack

I appreciate the input but I just wanted to see if any other brands would fit thunders the way the Indy risers only have holes for Indy instead of the slotted holes. I'm either gonna buy the real 3 ply risers or just diy some with a punch.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1793 on: December 21, 2023, 02:50:40 PM »

I appreciate the input but I just wanted to see if any other brands would fit thunders the way the Indy risers only have holes for Indy instead of the slotted holes. I'm either gonna buy the real 3 ply risers or just diy some with a punch.

It is kind of funny, even the 1/8" Thunder hard plastic ones just don't quite fit.

I do find the softer ones do not move at all, if that was more your concern from your previous post.

This is what my first version of risers looked like from more than two years ago, not so pretty, but they did the job and I cut them smaller to fit under and not stick out at all.

I have since refined it quite a lot and have the exact specs to make risers for which ever truck brand, with pretty much perfect holes too, but it just took a little trial and error to start with.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1794 on: January 05, 2024, 09:23:41 AM »

Untitled by
Reynolds on thunders? Cound be indy stage 4 but hanger looks slimmer.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1017
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1795 on: January 05, 2024, 09:38:23 AM »
Looks like Thunder to me...could be someone else's board? Hard to imagine The Boss switching off Indy at this point...

Vintagebody

• Rep: 84
« Reply #1796 on: January 05, 2024, 09:51:41 AM »
He might be testing some boards, from the last pic. And therefore also testing trucks

Rick Trapasso

• Rep: 7
« Reply #1797 on: January 05, 2024, 10:08:32 AM »
As a longtime indy rider who has recently converted to thunder, this makes me feel things.

I shouldn't care this much, but I do.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1798 on: January 05, 2024, 10:17:48 AM »
He might be testing some boards, from the last pic. And therefore also testing trucks
I saw some 14 wb decks in that pile from the post. Maybe he's using thunders on those since indy's might inset it too much for him.

Rick Trapasso

• Rep: 7
« Reply #1799 on: January 05, 2024, 01:32:25 PM »
The last couple times I tried my luck with thunders, a big gripe I had was with the bushings, they would just crack/split/crumble way too easily for me.

However, I've had no issues with the bushings in the last two sets I've bought (not yet anyway) and I think this might be because I broke them in differently. Instead of tightening them to feel good from the start, I just adjusted the kingpin nut down to almost flush with the pin, a little above the pin actually. And let the bushings do their thing.

That first sesh was pretty loosely goosey, but they firmed up considerably within an hour of skating. I have the kingpin nut just slightly tighter now, more or less flush and they feel great. On the  previous sets I had issues with I had to have a thread or two showing for them to feel ok.

Starting to think I was just crushing the bushings and not letting them break in properly.