Author Topic: Watches  (Read 47317 times)

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 151
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
Re: Watches
« Reply #810 on: December 21, 2022, 02:23:47 AM »
Found myself trawling eBay for Bulova ‘devil divers’ named after their 666ft depth rating. That led me to ‘Sea Hunter’ skin divers……and I thought I was over the vintage watch thing.

And lastly I noticed Yema do a lovely retro inspired dive watch, the ‘Pearl Diver’.

There is a theme going on here as my son is named Hunter and my daughter is Pearl.
knew about the devil diver, didn't know about the sea hunter, looks nice. Be careful of that vintage rabbit hole, it's a slippery one...
That yema is a nice looking vintage inspired number too, Yema the brand seems to get horrible reviews from the online community so take that as you will. Would be interesting to see one in the flesh.
My grail is still in the post...

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #811 on: December 22, 2022, 06:48:19 PM »

Most of you should be able to guess by that pic…

thebacker

« Reply #812 on: December 22, 2022, 08:06:53 PM »
can anyone recommend some watches in the $250 and under?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #813 on: December 22, 2022, 08:34:09 PM »
what style of watch do you want? For automatic maybe Seiko 5 or a citizen like the NY0040, otherwise you could go the g-shock route? Will it be your only watch?

thebacker

« Reply #814 on: December 23, 2022, 05:15:01 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
what style of watch do you want? For automatic maybe Seiko 5 or a citizen like the NY0040, otherwise you could go the g-shock route? Will it be your only watch?

i fuck with the seiko and ny0040

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #815 on: December 23, 2022, 05:50:32 AM »
The citizen ny0040 will serve you well, the newer ones also hack (second hands stops when setting the time) from memory, the blue version is really cool. You won’t get an seiko Skx for $250 these days, but a Seiko 5kx could also work? What’s your wrist size? Will it get wet?

thebacker

« Reply #816 on: December 23, 2022, 10:58:55 AM »
The citizen ny0040 will serve you well, the newer ones also hack (second hands stops when setting the time) from memory, the blue version is really cool. You won’t get an seiko Skx for $250 these days, but a Seiko 5kx could also work? What’s your wrist size? Will it get wet?

idk my wrist size but youve def sent me in the right direction with those recommendations

also i dont plan on getting it wet

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #817 on: December 25, 2022, 11:01:02 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

idk my wrist size but youve def sent me in the right direction with those recommendations

also i dont plan on getting it wet

Id go Seiko 5.

Maybe the snxs79

Swap the bracelet and youre good to go.
I own the exact same watch as well as the aftermarket oyster.

Its incredible versatile. Throw it on a nato and you have a field watch vibe. Put it on a brown distressed leather strap - there is your dresswatch.

Its around 150 euros.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #818 on: December 25, 2022, 05:16:11 PM »
Yes, that Seiko 5 is a great option! Listen to @pica

So…. This is my grail:

Tudor 75090 submariner. So I wasn’t planning on purchasing this actually, but I got a crazy deal on it. The watch itself is naked (came on oyster bracelet) but was recently serviced in July by a well-known watch maker over here and it came with their guarantee card so no problems with authenticity etc. hands and the lume plots are just starting to get that cream patina on them, but other than that the watch is absolutely mint. I’m really stoked on this one, I honestly don’t even feel like I need any of my other watches anymore … I really dig the matte black dial and the fact that the lume plots aren’t surrounded in silver like on the later models like the 75190. ETA movement means it can be serviced anywhere but it’s got that rolex steeze on the case and crown. Oh and I can literally put any strap on it and it looks absolutely fire!!!! Might try and find the jubilee bracelet for it that was also offered as an option when this thing was still in production.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2022, 05:27:16 PM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
« Reply #819 on: December 25, 2022, 06:23:25 PM »
This thread persistently blows my mind with displays of class and elegance.  Everything on this page is gorgeous. 

My incredible fiancé got me a versa 2 for Xmas and I’ve temporarily settled on this face;

baggy spandex

« Reply #820 on: December 27, 2022, 03:10:32 PM »
I finally pulled the trigger on the Nomos I’ve been eyeing, and I’m really glad I did. Had to sell one of my basses and a bunch of my effect pedals, but it was worth it to actually scratch the itch I had and not just settle on something cheaper (thanks for the advice, @Gray Imp Sausage Metal !)

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #821 on: December 27, 2022, 06:13:14 PM »
I finally pulled the trigger on the Nomos I’ve been eyeing, and I’m really glad I did. Had to sell one of my basses and a bunch of my effect pedals, but it was worth it to actually scratch the itch I had and not just settle on something cheaper (thanks for the advice, @Gray Imp Sausage Metal !)
pics or it didn’t happen! Congrats btw!

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #822 on: December 27, 2022, 10:47:38 PM »
Spamming this thread,
Sorry, not sorry:
« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 12:58:18 AM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

baggy spandex

« Reply #823 on: December 28, 2022, 11:54:12 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #824 on: December 28, 2022, 12:38:59 PM »
Ah, the club campus.

Great choice.

My wife has the Orion 33 Duo.

Be prepared to replace the suede strap in 1,5 years if you wear it daily. Those things age really fast.

I have a shell cordovan strap on my Nomos metro and that thing is much more durable… maybe buy one of those when the time to replace it comes.

Enjoy it, its a great watch.

baggy spandex

« Reply #825 on: December 28, 2022, 01:35:39 PM »
Ah, the club campus.

Great choice.

Be prepared to replace the suede strap in 1,5 years if you wear it daily. Those things age really fast.

I have a shell cordovan strap on my Nomos metro and that thing is much more durable… maybe buy one of those when the time to replace it comes.

Thanks for the strap tip! I really like the look of the suede strap it comes on and I do plan to wear it daily, so I’ll def need to replace it before long. Nomos seem to have a bunch of nice strap options and I’d definitely go for the shell cordovan you mentioned (jealous of your Metro btw) and maybe the textile straps too because I sweat like motherfucker.

I’m actually waiting on a replacement strap (same kind just longer) because the one it came on was too short and I can only get the buckle through the last hole. The dealer offered to throw in the replacement strap for free, so I’ll probably just rock this one til it’s toast. Actually that reminds me, I had a really good experience buying this from my closest AD, which was a super small shop, and he didn’t even charge me tax on the purchase. Told that to a friend who’s into watches and he said that’s something most ADs do, but I’m just curious if any of you all have had that experience too.

pica

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #826 on: December 28, 2022, 04:02:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Ah, the club campus.

Great choice.

[close]

Thanks for the strap tip! I really like the look of the suede strap it comes on and I do plan to wear it daily, so I’ll def need to replace it before long. Nomos seem to have a bunch of nice strap options and I’d definitely go for the shell cordovan you mentioned (jealous of your Metro btw) and maybe the textile straps too because I sweat like motherfucker.

I’m actually waiting on a replacement strap (same kind just longer) because the one it came on was too short and I can only get the buckle through the last hole. The dealer offered to throw in the replacement strap for free, so I’ll probably just rock this one til it’s toast. Actually that reminds me, I had a really good experience buying this from my closest AD, which was a super small shop, and he didn’t even charge me tax on the purchase. Told that to a friend who’s into watches and he said that’s something most ADs do, but I’m just curious if any of you all have had that experience too.

Maybe switch it up: one part of the long strap one part of the short strap. So you can double it‘s lifespan. Not sure if that works tough.

Also i bought both nomos watches through chrono24 so i guess you can say grey market.

No tax refund but cheaper than the list price. 

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 812
« Reply #827 on: December 29, 2022, 07:17:11 AM »
Any feedback on Nixon watches? Few on sale and I'm too broke to afford a really nice watch. Thinking €130 max budget. Something not digital and can handle getting wet. I've got tiny wrists..(that's why I've broke them so many times..).

pica

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #828 on: December 29, 2022, 03:15:02 PM »
Any feedback on Nixon watches? Few on sale and I'm too broke to afford a really nice watch. Thinking €130 max budget. Something not digital and can handle getting wet. I've got tiny wrists..(that's why I've broke them so many times..).

For 130 you can chop almost any casio . Also a seiko 5 automatic. Some citizend. Maybe a decent swatch.
I‘d put my money in one of those.

Never had a nixon but… i dont know.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #829 on: December 29, 2022, 03:37:17 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

For 130 you can chop almost any casio . Also a seiko 5 automatic. Some citizend. Maybe a decent swatch.

Nixon are overpriced for what they are, their designs don’t age well, and for the most part their watches are very chunky. Pica’s suggestions all work, for Seiko 5, look up the snk series of field watches. Moderately sized for small wrists, can take a splash and will look good on whatever strap you throw at it!

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #830 on: December 29, 2022, 03:44:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

nice, that’s a solid watch! Nomos are very very underrated

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #831 on: December 30, 2022, 11:17:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Nixon are overpriced for what they are, their designs don’t age well, and for the most part their watches are very chunky. Pica’s suggestions all work, for Seiko 5, look up the snk series of field watches. Moderately sized for small wrists, can take a splash and will look good on whatever strap you throw at it!

Thanks Pals. I wanna buy a new watch after that Vostok that broke after one day...they are €260+ on the Seiko site. Gonna look around but if any EU folk know a decent site please recommend.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #832 on: December 31, 2022, 04:37:07 AM »
$260 euros is ridics, give me a 100+ postage and I’ll send you one for japan ;)
Alternatively:
https://longislandwatch.com/amp/seiko-snk809-snk809k2-watch-snk809k2/

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #833 on: December 31, 2022, 05:43:44 AM »
Alternatively:
It's outa stock. Send me pics of yours GISM.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #834 on: December 31, 2022, 07:50:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Alternatively:
[close]
not my actual snk, but I could buy one for you, yen is super cheap atm too!
セイコー 逆輸入モデル SEIKO5 機械式(自動巻き) SNK809K1 [海外輸入品] メンズ 腕時計 時計【あす楽】
[楽天] #Rakutenichiba
https://item.rakuten.co.jp/10keiya/6561/?scid=wi_ichi_iphoneapp_item_share

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #835 on: December 31, 2022, 07:56:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Alternatively:
[close]
[close]
not my actual snk, but I could buy one for you, yen is super cheap atm too!
セイコー 逆輸入モデル SEIKO5 機械式(自動巻き) SNK809K1 [海外輸入品] メンズ 腕時計 時計【あす楽】
[楽天] #Rakutenichiba
https://item.rakuten.co.jp/10keiya/6561/?scid=wi_ichi_iphoneapp_item_share
I prefer the first one you sent. It's new years eve, i shouldn't make any purchases. But defo will hit you up tomorrow or day after. I liked the NATO straps. Enjoy your evening!

Andrefosho

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 147
« Reply #836 on: January 06, 2023, 12:45:39 AM »
@Gray Imp Sausage Metal I will kindly inquire for your service when I'm ready to cop that Seiko Astron... It will take a while tho.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #837 on: January 06, 2023, 03:01:08 AM »
@Gray Imp Sausage Metal I will kindly inquire for your service when I'm ready to cop that Seiko Astron... It will take a while tho.
all good, ask everyone else too! I only know what I do about watches because I spent so much money on buying ones that I ended up not liking/ flipping because they didn’t tick enough boxes for me. I’m actually a terrible collector, but I’ve learnt a thing or two over the years due to a lot of mistakes…
« Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 06:51:06 AM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #838 on: January 10, 2023, 09:04:45 PM »
Spam:

I may also have a timex in the mail, but I doubt it will go anywhere near my wrist …

Also I don’t follow Danny Way on insta but I saw a recent pic of him on there and it looked like he was rocking a Rolex submariner…
« Last Edit: January 11, 2023, 01:14:44 AM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 500
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #839 on: January 11, 2023, 06:16:48 AM »
Omega / Pulsar Time Computer.  Fuckin' llove em.