Author Topic: 2022 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 187594 times)

LebowskisRug

Re: 2022 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #2190 on: September 25, 2022, 02:31:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Boardslides are terrifying. Id rather back tail something at speed than back boardslide most park rails.
[close]
quit lying lol
[close]

At speed for someone my age is different than Nik Stain. But if the tailslide catches it's easier to jump out of the way and I might fall onto my ass but that has rarely happened. If I slip out by leaning too much my board shoots out but I rarely actually fall when that happens.

Now back board I'll shoot out half the time if it's waxed and hit my ass/back on the rail. I've also caught and nearly taken out my teeth falling onto the rail.
[close]
Got a bunch of herniated disc in my back and would also say backside boardslide is one of the last tricks I want to try (backside blunt being the last) altho I've always had a weird thing about backside board, feeble and crooked. I'd rather do any of them frontside, halfcab in or do hurricane, 180 nosegrind. Can't see a situation where I'd personally try a backtail over back board but different people do different things so I'll believe it.

I'm the opposite anything backside is easier. I find front tails harder and always have. I don't have an issue with front 180s and fine front 180 into switch crook (on curb sized stuff) easier. I think frontside I land too much like an oaf and over pop. Probably creates too much downward force. Backside it's easier to scoop into a tailslide.

I also got a concussion back boarding a park rail as a kid and broke my wrist slipping out of a front tail so it's probably some weird trauma thing and I just try those tricks less. Id also say back feebles freak me out too.

I just think it's unpopular cuz I see tons and tons of people doing them and they're often considered beginner tricks in tutorials.

notmikerusczyk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 287
« Reply #2191 on: September 25, 2022, 04:43:45 PM »
it's really hard for me to look past gustav's dumb ass manbun. how does it not give him a headache?? that being said i still really enjoy his footage but fuck man chop it off

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 734
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #2192 on: September 25, 2022, 05:42:46 PM »
it's really hard for me to look past gustav's dumb ass manbun. how does it not give him a headache?? that being said i still really enjoy his footage but fuck man chop it off
This isn’t the most popular opinion ever thread.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 335
« Reply #2193 on: September 25, 2022, 05:56:29 PM »

No, I'm right there with you. It looks terrible. I have a friend who played professional sport at a very high level, whose career just ended, and we were catching up, and asked him about  any regrets, and he said he hated that for 4 years of his career he had the man bun/samurai style hair cut, and is embarrassed to watch highlights when he had that haircut. It'll never look good.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1149
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2194 on: September 25, 2022, 06:29:29 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

No, I'm right there with you. It looks terrible. I have a friend who played professional sport at a very high level, whose career just ended, and we were catching up, and asked him about  any regrets, and he said he hated that for 4 years of his career he had the man bun/samurai style hair cut, and is embarrassed to watch highlights when he had that haircut. It'll never look good.

It’s the most obnoxious hairstyle ever and I’ve passionately hated every one I’ve ever seen, but for sone reason Gustav’s doesn’t bother me.  It just fits with the whole supernaturally-talented wood elf thing he’s got going.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #2195 on: September 25, 2022, 06:52:26 PM »
bun is nicer than a pony tail, just gotta run it low

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #2196 on: September 25, 2022, 07:16:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

It’s the most obnoxious hairstyle ever and I’ve passionately hated every one I’ve ever seen, but for sone reason Gustav’s doesn’t bother me.  It just fits with the whole supernaturally-talented wood elf thing he’s got going.

Yeah I think he looks good with it. It’s a euro thing.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 861
« Reply #2197 on: September 25, 2022, 07:36:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Could it be a type of combover? Apart from being pointless I don't think it's too bad on him. He has kind of a small head might look kinda weird with short hair.
Hmmmm have any pros managed to pull off the pony tail? I can only think kien leui but that's a different kind of thing. Maybe Hawks worst hair including his current old man church boy thing

cky enthusiast

« Reply #2198 on: September 25, 2022, 07:59:18 PM »
fuckin donger brah

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2199 on: September 25, 2022, 09:40:55 PM »
In an era where dudes are reliving some of the worst fashions of the 90's and early 2000's a skaters choice of hair retention is pretty low on my list of complaints.

Maybe you're jealous that he's got dope ass long hair and keeps it hidden? I wish I could grow my hair long and look good just to use the option but I like more like an unkempt hillbilly.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #2200 on: September 25, 2022, 10:19:24 PM »
Ben Degros' private skatepark > P Rod's private skatepark
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 335
« Reply #2201 on: September 25, 2022, 11:19:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
Could it be a type of combover? Apart from being pointless I don't think it's too bad on him. He has kind of a small head might look kinda weird with short hair.
Expand Quote
[close]
Hmmmm have any pros managed to pull off the pony tail? I can only think kien leui but that's a different kind of thing. Maybe Hawks worst hair including his current old man church boy thing

Gabriel Rodriguez.

sacking rails

• Rep: -222
  • sacking rails
« Reply #2202 on: September 26, 2022, 12:46:08 AM »
any skater i dont like is bad

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #2203 on: September 26, 2022, 04:29:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
Expand Quote
[close]

Jeron Wilson
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 294
« Reply #2204 on: September 26, 2022, 05:20:20 AM »
didn’t guy run a ponytail for a bit in the 90’s too? no way a bun could be cooler than that

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 333
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #2205 on: September 26, 2022, 05:25:36 AM »
Gustavs hair is dope. It looks good certain frames but yuck on your everyday white guy. Asians pull it off with style aswell. Freddy has tied up his long hair for years I don't see anyone complaining about that. Lol you want Gustav to chop it and hide some generic short hair under a hat so he can look exactly like every insecure skater at the spot?

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 294
« Reply #2206 on: September 26, 2022, 06:13:28 AM »
gustav’s hair plays into harmful stereotypes about european men, it’s uncomfortable for the viewer

IpathCats

« Reply #2207 on: September 26, 2022, 06:24:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

There is not one else in skateboarding that gets a man bun pass.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 861
« Reply #2208 on: September 26, 2022, 07:40:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Guru Khalsa?

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 149
« Reply #2209 on: September 26, 2022, 08:02:01 AM »
the ignore button is a great resource and makes this place much more enjoyable

Going through a bad thread and just letting ignore sing has made Slap 100% better for me in the last few years
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

notmikerusczyk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 287
« Reply #2210 on: September 26, 2022, 08:48:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
Guru Khalsa?
actually, guru and steve durante looked fine with theirs

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -424
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #2211 on: September 26, 2022, 09:36:44 AM »
delatorre was rocking manbuns before the word even entered the lexicon so he's grandfathered in

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 206
« Reply #2212 on: September 26, 2022, 05:05:24 PM »
I don’t get the manbun hate. I wouldn’t rock one cause hippie yoga dude isn’t me but I think they’re fine.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #2213 on: September 26, 2022, 05:57:42 PM »
if TNT didn’t put his hair up i don’t have to either

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2214 on: September 26, 2022, 07:29:54 PM »
I fuck with the manbun. I had it a couple years ago when I had long hair and now that Im going my hair out long again I will be rocking it again.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2215 on: September 26, 2022, 07:35:05 PM »
When were people metro sexual?  That’s when you hated on a man bun…..

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 584
« Reply #2216 on: September 26, 2022, 07:37:21 PM »
I don't mind the bun as long as it's not the onion looking top knot that dudes were rocking a few years back. Add Dickson to the list, he rocks a super low bun type thing but wears it well.

thehogsniper

• Rep: 47
« Reply #2217 on: September 26, 2022, 09:42:29 PM »
My honest opinion is that skate shoes are in a very odd period right now where people are either firmly thin, or firmly thick. I think the industry as a whole needs some change. Vans is oversaturating their market with cheap shoes, Sole tech doesn't know what direction they're going, Lakai is happy with being ten years in the past, DC has one foot in OG and one foot in the type of stuff that relegated them to bargain bin fodder, Adidas throws out the same crap as always and is losing ground in skate shops, Nike is complacent, new balance is pretty decent, last resort is good, converse is alright, and everyone else is seemingly irrelevant.
It's incredibly boring to walk into a skate shop and see the exact same thing:
- Nike Ishod, Blazer, or Dunk if you're lucky
- Last Resort in several color ways
- 1 or 2 OG DC models
- Lakai Cambridge/Telford
- Typical Vans
- New Balance 1010
Maybe I'm just jaded, but I wish there was just something different once in a while. I was looking at old CCS catalogs, and it seemed like each year there was tons of brand new models, brand new companies even. Besides the 808 and Ishod, what has really come out this year? The latest company to hit the scene is last resort, and that was two years ago.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2242
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #2218 on: September 27, 2022, 12:03:51 AM »
The latest company to hit the scene is last resort, and that was two years ago.
With you on this: I too want a new skate shoe brand every single year.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #2219 on: September 27, 2022, 04:06:46 AM »
What about Hours? That's new and different (and forgettable)