Author Topic: Julien Stranger, what's up with that?  (Read 12795 times)

Shtonk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -438
Re: Julien Stranger, what's up with that?
« Reply #90 on: April 05, 2024, 03:26:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
did the op really get banned off his first post for asking why people like julien so much? because if so that is the most slap thing of all time.
[close]

I'm all for free speech but questioning Stanger's legacy? Yeah fucking ban 'em.
[close]

Lol this forum is a trashfire echo chamber these days. OP makes 1 post asking an earnest question about a skater who's career was 30 years ago, and mods just ban him. Just to let you know, if you find yourself agreeing with most people here and think that proves anything about your beliefs, it's only because mods have banned like half of the people who have ever tried posting here for any diverging opinion.

‘Now social media will come down on you with the fury of a middle aged man who has accomplished nothing.’ - Dennis Reynolds

Let me guess that your "diverging opinion" is somewhere in the area of Tim Pool? Other than that, read the thread and find out. There is such a thing as deleting posts, shocking as that may  sound to you.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #91 on: April 05, 2024, 03:39:19 AM »
good julien story
live in big euro city and skate the plaza w close homie every saturday morning early
like maybe two years ago, were skating and i see a guy accross plaza that looks like him in vans, hiking backpack, skating w a second board in hand. go over to homie and say something bout it. we both dont think its him all alone. sure enough he comes over and hands a fresh 8.75 brian anderson board to the homie who was riding a 18 board. "here man take it, sell it if you need to, skate it, whatever you gotta do" we ask him to skate but he says hes going to Barcelona via train later that morning. could have been different day but 90% sure the fs noseblunt slide in fantastic voyage was that same day as he was wearing same fit. super chill guy. we chatted for a second and then he dipped. legendary 2 minute interation that lives forever
those types of stories, gestures.... you dont get Ronaldo just dropping by your local pitch to say hello and drop some boots off.
Julien forever gonna be cool for that

it is a pretty cool story. and I'd love a free BA 8.75! But comparing Stranger to Ronaldo? No way. That would be Nyjah or Sheckler maybe. Stranger would be more like Eden Hazard or something....   :P

jonnysheen

• Rep: -64
« Reply #92 on: April 05, 2024, 04:16:03 AM »
Expand Quote
good julien story
live in big euro city and skate the plaza w close homie every saturday morning early
like maybe two years ago, were skating and i see a guy accross plaza that looks like him in vans, hiking backpack, skating w a second board in hand. go over to homie and say something bout it. we both dont think its him all alone. sure enough he comes over and hands a fresh 8.75 brian anderson board to the homie who was riding a 18 board. "here man take it, sell it if you need to, skate it, whatever you gotta do" we ask him to skate but he says hes going to Barcelona via train later that morning. could have been different day but 90% sure the fs noseblunt slide in fantastic voyage was that same day as he was wearing same fit. super chill guy. we chatted for a second and then he dipped. legendary 2 minute interation that lives forever
those types of stories, gestures.... you dont get Ronaldo just dropping by your local pitch to say hello and drop some boots off.
[close]

it is a pretty cool story. and I'd love a free BA 8.75! But comparing Stranger to Ronaldo? No way. That would be Nyjah or Sheckler maybe. Stranger would be more like Eden Hazard or something....   :P

Hazard?   Nah mate,  more like a Matt le Tissier,  underground legend

carbonite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 490
    • frozen in carbonite avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #93 on: April 05, 2024, 06:20:18 AM »

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 830
« Reply #94 on: April 05, 2024, 08:04:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
did the op really get banned off his first post for asking why people like julien so much? because if so that is the most slap thing of all time.
[close]

I'm all for free speech but questioning Stanger's legacy? Yeah fucking ban 'em.
[close]

Lol this forum is a trashfire echo chamber these days. OP makes 1 post asking an earnest question about a skater who's career was 30 years ago, and mods just ban him. Just to let you know, if you find yourself agreeing with most people here and think that proves anything about your beliefs, it's only because mods have banned like half of the people who have ever tried posting here for any diverging opinion.

‘Now social media will come down on you with the fury of a middle aged man who has accomplished nothing.’ - Dennis Reynolds

there are no opinions about stranger, gall, gerwer or lee ralph. only facts. learn them or be banished.

assvogel

• Rep: 210
« Reply #95 on: April 05, 2024, 08:34:57 AM »
Whaddap!

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 830
« Reply #96 on: April 05, 2024, 08:36:25 AM »
Outstanding.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #97 on: April 05, 2024, 10:10:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
good julien story
[close]

[close]

Hazard?   Nah mate,  more like a Matt le Tissier,  underground legend

so underground I never heard of him  :P....so you just might be right!

SkateCerealBowl

• Rep: 4

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 364
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #100 on: May 08, 2024, 06:52:39 AM »
One of the oldest, if not the oldest, board brand from Chile is called Stranger. Wonder if is due to him. Logo is a lion that has a interesting aesthetic
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

OrangeVHStapes

• Rep: 84

ChrisSennsGirlfriend

• Rep: 128
« Reply #102 on: May 08, 2024, 09:12:37 AM »

imagine being stuck with a brain that sees this > 30 year old clip and can only react with 'he didn't even slide'...
Mike Anderson is a small town labor union hottie

Troubadour26

• Rep: 91
« Reply #103 on: May 08, 2024, 10:30:11 AM »

bluntfullofmid

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 0
« Reply #104 on: May 08, 2024, 10:36:22 AM »
https://youtu.be/b03yoY0JIqs?si=TY0VRCM2YemOiUu3

saw julian pull up to borough hall solo and skate one morning this past summer, which im assuming was one of the days in this clip, and just had to sit back and watch. dude has still got it and makes everything look so effortless/easy
"yall act like abusin' women is so bad."
- Crailtap

work_lurker

• Rep: 95
  • I've never had a shaved head in my entire life
Hopefully not a kook, but if so, fuck it.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2249
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #107 on: May 08, 2024, 01:20:09 PM »
Can’t recall ever seeing Julien “Jaeb” his landing.
Not even once.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #108 on: May 09, 2024, 02:32:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
My friend asked me at the park tonight "what's the deal with Julien?"
I didn't have an answer. Maybe style? I've heard he has nice bs ollies or something.
Is it just a holdover of 80s heads who liked him in short shorts bombing the SF hills? Is it cause of the first handrail fs boardslide?
My buddy goes "I'd like to know what it is but he never films anything."
I didn't want to derail the pro Julien threads and get kooked or banned but is this the Emperor's new clothes? Is he overrated or was there a time he was top pro/style warrior?
[close]

"If he's a pro, how come he isn't posting on Youtube and IG 24/7?"
[close]
Inappropriate comparison. He's been around longer than Carroll and produced less. Koston, Markovich, all the dudes from then to now have more parts than Julien. And the Greyhound back lip, i thought it was rad but my friends said 'there's not a pro alive at the time who couldn't do it.' In fact, Cairo was going switch backside over the whole ledge. And Wu Welsh was doing techner tricks for his am checkout.
[close]

I truly do not understand how this post is real. Are you and your friend 15? What’s going on?

Cairo? Welsh? What the fuck are you talking about? Completely different eras - the difference between 1992/3 and 1997/8 is probably bigger than the difference between 2003 and 2023. A completely altered skate universe.

I started skating in 2000 at 12 years of age, one of millions of pubescent boys to do so in the wake of THPS’s release. I remember one of the first TWS issues I got had the Vans ad with the pic of this noseblunt:

and, though it didn’t know it at the time, it sowed the seeds of much of my skate perception and general aesthetic sensibility. I was born to late for his prime, I never fully fucked with norcal barney culture and hellride ethos, but Julien always seemed like one of the absolute coolest guys to ever ride a board. It was immediately apparent to me. It’s fine if you don’t get it, but you shouldn’t say so outloud.

this reads like you’re me. 🤣 same age, even the julien vans ad. i wanna say it was my very first transworld. I’m almost 100% sure I had that ad pinned up on my wall. i don’t even think I physically owned a board yet when I got that transworld.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.