Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 366418 times)

Boog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 202
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #2640 on: March 28, 2022, 03:56:21 AM »
Dude that’s so sick he responded.
 He was an incredibly nice person, the very few times I interacted with him.
Seemed like he sized down, the thunders looked like 8.25, from the footage, but as gear obsessed as I am, I cannot claim to be that good at judging sizes from pics/footage. I’m always surprised at how difficult it is for me to tell. I was watching some BDK stuff and I have no idea how big that guy’s shit is. Another thing I used to see with people riding Indy’s in addition to their ‘regular’ setup was when they’d size up/ride a shaped board. Makes sense.
Yeah I was honestly surprised when he replied. It is hard to tell just from footage what size someone rides. I think that's why we all obsess over trucks because we can actually tell what people are riding and it makes us wonder if it will work for us since it works for them.

jsettle

• Rep: 134
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2641 on: March 28, 2022, 04:37:03 AM »
Expand Quote
so just to get it out of the way all color bushings on ventures that come stock are the same durometer. purple, yellow, red etc - all the same
now you have a few options as far as getting a deeper turn goes:
- flat top washer
- supercush 90a's will be the same as stock so you probably won't notice a difference, but i swear by supercush 90a's if i have to replace. people do seem to enjoy the 88's as well, and bones for as long as they last before blowing out
- you can throw some wax in the pivot cup to help things out too
- panic mode: sell 'em and get indy's again lol (obv you are trying to make the ventures work though, and kudos to you for that)

of those choices, i would try wax in pivot cup and a flat top washer first. ventures aren't really going to 'indy out' at any point in my experience, but that will definitely help things out a little
[close]

wait what? was there ever confirmation on venture stock purple durometer bc i recall a few people saying 92a, some saying 94a etc but having skated both the stock purple bushings and then the supercush 90a's i refuse to believe they're the same duro.

I dm'd venture yesterday and asked about their bushings. They said all stock bushings no matter what the color are 90du. I sort of find that hard to believe because my purples feel like 96 or so...maybe because of the cold weather but thats what they said.

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 799
« Reply #2642 on: March 28, 2022, 05:20:51 AM »
i switched from ace to venture after 4 years of skating 44 classics. i got the standard 5.8s. yesterday was my first day on them shits, they grind great but my kickflips suck on them, i can 360 flip easily but kickflips take a lot of effort and i can't do tiny small quick controlled kickflips like i used to. the board i have is short though, i'm changing the deck on friday to a 101 gino reissue that has the same wheelbase but the deck is 0.4" longer, maybe this will sort that out. the main issue is that i can't get them to be as surfy as the aces, is there anything i can do with those trucks to make them turn better? i have the flat washer on the top bushing, they're as loose as they can get, the bushings are already broken in because i got the trucks from my friend. what are the best aftermarket bushings for these? ace bushings are too tall and the ace low bushings are unavailable in my country as of now.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #2643 on: March 28, 2022, 07:05:08 AM »
i switched from ace to venture after 4 years of skating 44 classics. i got the standard 5.8s. yesterday was my first day on them shits, they grind great but my kickflips suck on them, i can 360 flip easily but kickflips take a lot of effort and i can't do tiny small quick controlled kickflips like i used to. the board i have is short though, i'm changing the deck on friday to a 101 gino reissue that has the same wheelbase but the deck is 0.4" longer, maybe this will sort that out. the main issue is that i can't get them to be as surfy as the aces, is there anything i can do with those trucks to make them turn better? i have the flat washer on the top bushing, they're as loose as they can get, the bushings are already broken in because i got the trucks from my friend. what are the best aftermarket bushings for these? ace bushings are too tall and the ace low bushings are unavailable in my country as of now.

the most common suggested aftermarket bushings are the deluxe supercush ones which range in various duros from 88a up to 99a. i can only give my anecdotal experiences here, but i skated the 90a ones since around last june/july and i found them to be a definite improvement over the stock purple bushings which strikes me as very odd given the stock ones are also supposedly 90a yet the difference between the two was immediately apparent upon skating the supercush bushings.

i threw in some bones hardcore softs the other day and had a few sessions on them, definitely a lot more carvier/turning ability (to be expected given it's 81a vs 90a prior), less wheelbite compared to the 90a supercush (i assume the bones adjust the geometry slightly) and overall generally feels a lot better - still get that venture stability but can carve around pretty well and arguably my favourite truck/bushing combo to date. longevity is another question but i'll cross that bridge when i get to it.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #2644 on: March 28, 2022, 07:06:56 AM »

I know it’s a part of truck vernacular, but ‘surfy’ just irks me for some. Personal problem.
Venture will never be Ace, I prefer, emphatically, Ventures. Bones bushings give a deep turn, and allow for lots of tiny, quick turns.
As far as popping tricks, I’d recommend putting your popping foot further towards the tip of the nose/tail. Helps me.

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 316
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #2645 on: March 28, 2022, 07:55:07 AM »
the most common suggested aftermarket bushings are the deluxe supercush ones which range in various duros from 88a up to 99a. i can only give my anecdotal experiences here, but i skated the 90a ones since around last june/july and i found them to be a definite improvement over the stock purple bushings which strikes me as very odd given the stock ones are also supposedly 90a yet the difference between the two was immediately apparent upon skating the supercush bushings.

i threw in some bones hardcore softs the other day and had a few sessions on them, definitely a lot more carvier/turning ability (to be expected given it's 81a vs 90a prior), less wheelbite compared to the 90a supercush (i assume the bones adjust the geometry slightly) and overall generally feels a lot better - still get that venture stability but can carve around pretty well and arguably my favourite truck/bushing combo to date. longevity is another question but i'll cross that bridge when i get to it.

In my experience, the 90a supercush feel pretty identical to the stock bushings. they definitely last longer than stock when running the flat top washer so my guess is that they are more durable due to better rebound?? I definitely will keep riding the supercush as I think that is the best aftermarket choice for Ventures, but I also would love to have some extra purple or green stock bushings lol

No comply

• Rep: 0
« Reply #2646 on: March 28, 2022, 09:31:24 AM »
For people asking about flat washers other than Bones: it’s very difficult finding one that has a small enough outside diameter. My local hardware store has a lot of different washers but none of them didn’t rub against the truck. The link provided to Muirskate flat washer would be too big as well. You could buy a smaller inside diameter and drill it out if you have access to a drill press.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2647 on: March 28, 2022, 09:46:31 AM »
I found some at my Local Ace, but they were in the stainless section and pretty pricey per washer.

No comply

• Rep: 0
« Reply #2648 on: March 28, 2022, 09:51:28 AM »
I found some at my Local Ace, but they were in the stainless section and pretty pricey per washer.
Good to know. How much per washer?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1590
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2649 on: March 28, 2022, 11:14:01 AM »

I’m not sure which is more opposite to an Ace…thunder or venture….but neither are similar other than they are all Indy alternatives.  It’s called geometry and an Ace will never turn like a Venture. 

The aftermarket bushings will help the truck turn more smoothly, maybe a bit more lean….

My advice is enjoy what the truck does well….sitting in the pocket on a manual and still going straight. 

Banned from the room

« Reply #2650 on: March 28, 2022, 04:55:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Help please! Bought some standard venture high 5.8s recently after only skating indy for 20 years....i want to love the ventures, but i just cant seem to get them to turn close to my indys. They have the stock purple clearish bushings in them so not sure how hard those are...i have the kingpin nut as loose as you can get it without falling off. Probably had about 10 sessions on the ventures and still kot turning good. Should i wait it out? What bushings do you recommend to get them a deeper turn? I saw some people saying the deluxe supercush bushings are good in ventures but wasnt sure if i should go with the 91 or 88 duro on those....does anyone run bones soft bushings in there? Ive never used aftermarket bushings in trucks and normally just ran the standard orange bushings in indys and they turned really good for me. Let me know what yall think. Would greatly appreciate any info !
[close]

so just to get it out of the way all color bushings on ventures that come stock are the same durometer. purple, yellow, red etc - all the same
now you have a few options as far as getting a deeper turn goes:
- flat top washer
- supercush 90a's will be the same as stock so you probably won't notice a difference, but i swear by supercush 90a's if i have to replace. people do seem to enjoy the 88's as well, and bones for as long as they last before blowing out
- you can throw some wax in the pivot cup to help things out too
- panic mode: sell 'em and get indy's again lol (obv you are trying to make the ventures work though, and kudos to you for that)

of those choices, i would try wax in pivot cup and a flat top washer first. ventures aren't really going to 'indy out' at any point in my experience, but that will definitely help things out a little
[close]

Flat top washer really does make a world of difference. I don’t know why venture doesn’t just include them stock.

This for sure.

Tre

• Rep: 4
« Reply #2651 on: March 28, 2022, 05:00:10 PM »
Does venture have a “team” edition like thunder does? If so why’s the difference in the regular ones vs the “team” editions?

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #2652 on: March 28, 2022, 05:32:09 PM »
Does venture have a “team” edition like thunder does? If so why’s the difference in the regular ones vs the “team” editions?

they do actually, but i've always wondered the same having never seen them in the wild (or remembering to take a look when i'm in a shop)

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2653 on: March 28, 2022, 10:53:35 PM »
I disagree….team in thunder talk means cast base, fancy hanger ie. hollow, venture has nothing of the sort…..it’s forged base…

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 866
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2654 on: March 29, 2022, 01:01:15 AM »
according to thunder website
"team editions" are base thunders, solid everything @52mm
"team hollows" have a hollow kingpin and axle
but are the same 52mm height as the team editions

venture dossnt do anything like this
no cast baseplates come with hollow kingpins stock
all forged plates shave 1.5mm off the original height**
*this is for the hi models, not positive about the lows*
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 522
« Reply #2655 on: March 29, 2022, 01:05:57 AM »
One of the venture drops later this year will have a light hanger (hollow or ti not sure yet) on cast plates

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 316
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #2656 on: March 29, 2022, 07:26:59 AM »
One of the venture drops later this year will have a light hanger (hollow or ti not sure yet) on cast plates
lets fucking gooooo

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 317
« Reply #2657 on: March 29, 2022, 07:38:27 AM »
Why don’t people like forged baseplates? I tried my brothers set up and felt pretty much the same.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2658 on: March 29, 2022, 07:48:22 AM »
Why don’t people like forged baseplates? I tried my brothers set up and felt pretty much the same.

I’m hyped for the team hollow 5.6s.
Uh, forged plates…so I think my dislike for comes from me being overly sensitive to vibration and sound. The pop feels off. Dunno why. I’m skating some forged plate trucks now, and I have the feeling that if I tried the cast of the same truck I’d like it better, as that’s always been the case for me. Different sound when grinding, different sound when riding. Can’t call it.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 192
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2659 on: March 29, 2022, 05:49:03 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Uh, forged plates…so I think my dislike for comes from me being overly sensitive to vibration and sound. The pop feels off. Dunno why. I’m skating some forged plate trucks now, and I have the feeling that if I tried the cast of the same truck I’d like it better, as that’s always been the case for me. Different sound when grinding, different sound when riding. Can’t call it.

I agree, I have on and off days when riding forged thunders but cast is always reliable

But forged Indy’s I won’t even touch with a 6 foot pole
yes

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2660 on: March 29, 2022, 09:01:03 PM »
They look dumb…..that’s why.  Honestly on a thunder, you can afford a bit more height and weight.  I’m ok with venture because I’m mad about the height still.  I think they should do a 5.6 low hollow on cast plates…. But I don’t expect them to do so….

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2661 on: March 29, 2022, 09:17:30 PM »
They look dumb…..that’s why.  Honestly on a thunder, you can afford a bit more height and weight.  I’m ok with venture because I’m mad about the height still.  I think they should do a 5.6 low hollow on cast plates…. But I don’t expect them to do so….

This

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112
« Reply #2662 on: March 29, 2022, 09:32:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Damn wtf. You guys are meticulous af.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2663 on: March 29, 2022, 09:37:53 PM »

They drop weight but extend the WB on a truck that already has the longest WB.

Ben Degros likes em tho

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2664 on: March 29, 2022, 09:50:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I want to be very clear: I don’t think there is a huge difference. I think that normal, non wack people enjoy either and don’t think about it. But some days I hate my socks. On another day, that same pair of hated socks, is the go too. What I’m trying to say, is that I am painfully aware of my kookiness with some of this stuff. Forged plate better than no skateboard. All of this stuff can be overcome. I’ve attempted to indulge too many skate setup whims, and I’ve not found many answers.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 192
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2665 on: March 29, 2022, 11:27:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I want to be very clear: I don’t think there is a huge difference. I think that normal, non wack people enjoy either and don’t think about it. But some days I hate my socks. On another day, that same pair of hated socks, is the go too. What I’m trying to say, is that I am painfully aware of my kookiness with some of this stuff. Forged plate better than no skateboard. All of this stuff can be overcome. I’ve attempted to indulge too many skate setup whims, and I’ve not found many answers.

This isn’t the place for this discussion and answer but I noticed having a setup similar to your learning days/prime years helps

The shape of the deck(if you skated a certain brand they were either pointy or squared/circular(bbs/deluxe, kayo or girl,dwindle)

The height and board to truck size ratio(skating exactly 8 inch trucks on an 8 inch deck or 7.75 trucks on an 8 inch deck) and if they were lows or highs and especially key point here #2 after deck shape is how tight you ride them(I have to face the truth, I ride medium tight and can’t hang with you wobbly ace riding cool curb crushers)

And wheels I have no idea on the correlation but as much as I love conical and square wheels classic shape do me justice

Anyways getting back on topic, I wonder what the remastered ventures will look like or improve on since they’re such a classic truck in the days of pj Ladd, Corey duffel, Stefan janoski, and Stevie Williams being their stars

And I’m sure they’re gonna release a 5.6 low cause why not
yes

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2666 on: March 30, 2022, 07:07:40 AM »
I tried the “what you rode when you learned” thing but the problem is that we made do with what trends we’re forced on us not what was ideal. It’s much more fun to skate a board over 8in, a wb bigger than 13.75, wheels over 50mm, and high trucks and actually technically better in a lot of ways. Your muscles don’t remember something 20 years ago, your body learns coordination really quickly.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1974
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2667 on: March 30, 2022, 08:56:21 AM »
Short story: 14.0 wheelbase is not for everyone (and not for me)

Long story: I just setup a FA 8.18 board with a 14.0 in. wb w/ venture 5.6 hollow hi (increasing the wb with the hollows to offset the short wb). On the first session i hated it. It felt too light/quick, poppy, and whiffy. I also felt like the board would shoot out from under me after landing any trick. Some people might actually like this setup but for me, coming from a cast venture hi on a 14.25 wb, this was so bad. At least now I know i can stay with my previous setup which is stable, hefty, and responsive pop.

Had my own bout of Venture baseplate madness today with 14" wheelbase too. Thought 8.25 x 32 x 14 would pair nicely with Venture 5.6 Titanium with forged baseplates but they were not working at all. Ended up swapping back to cast baseplates after 5 minutes of setting it up. Granted I had been riding the cast baseplates on the previous setup, so familiarity was a factor. But the steep, stiff and thickness of the Control woodshop deck just weren't working with an extended WB.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Pee nis

• Rep: 20
« Reply #2668 on: March 30, 2022, 11:48:39 AM »
Short story: 14.0 wheelbase is not for everyone (and not for me)

Long story: I just setup a FA 8.18 board with a 14.0 in. wb w/ venture 5.6 hollow hi (increasing the wb with the hollows to offset the short wb). On the first session i hated it. It felt too light/quick, poppy, and whiffy. I also felt like the board would shoot out from under me after landing any trick. Some people might actually like this setup but for me, coming from a cast venture hi on a 14.25 wb, this was so bad. At least now I know i can stay with my previous setup which is stable, hefty, and responsive pop.

If you have 5.6 cast try those, or throw the hollow hanger on the cast venture baseplate which is what I did since I have both. Seems ridiculous since it’ll shorten the WB even more on the 14 WB 8.18 fa/hockey shape, but for me it somehow works. Adds a bit of weight and the extra height of cast seems to give more heft to the pop feel even with very short WB. I tried 5.6 hollows didn’t really like it but somehow with the cast it feels way better.

I’m also trash so that could be complete nonsense but that was my experience.

IpathCats

« Reply #2669 on: March 30, 2022, 12:16:04 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This

Interesting, I'm a particular ass MF, and I hate on plenty of shit, but i've never felt one way or another about how the thickness of a baseplate affects the esthetics of a skateboard... hmmmm *MADNESS INTENSIFIES*