Author Topic: DLX Shapes  (Read 238708 times)

Frank and Fred

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 833
Re: DLX Shapes
« Reply #2640 on: April 25, 2024, 06:59:11 PM »
Fall catalog says 10.12 x 34 x 16.12

So Slimmer with a more rounded rear end...

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #2641 on: May 08, 2024, 11:20:19 AM »
Expand Quote
I’m currently skating an AH Grant Taylor 8.75 14.62WB (same as the white Classic Eagle). Although I like the full and long nose and tail, I’m considering sizing down a bit to make my board a bit more manageable for flip tricks. I see most AH 8.5 decks have a 14.25WB which I would probably find too cramped, so I’m looking at an 8.38 with 14.5WB that our local shop has in stock (the Daan van der Linde pigeon vision, same shape as the green classic eagle). It does have a bit shorter and pointier nose and tail though.

Has anyone skated both and noticed any noteworthy differences? I’m currently skating the 8.75 with Indy Titanium 159s, which I’m planning on using on the 8.38 as well.
[close]

@Sedition can give you a thoughtful reply, i believe they sometimes mess around with the 8.75.
iirc the 8.62 and 8.38 have similar shapes, comparatively pointy in the nose and tail, compared to some of the other sizes.

the 8.38 has been around for quite a bit, for a reason.
i have one in my stack, its much larger than what i normally ride (i thought i was riding a generic generator version of this shape, but i am wrong, per usual).
the 8.38 does work with the 159s.

a larger board, for me, that still flips, is the crail
brophy shape. 8.6, i think 14.75 wb….something about that one still worked for me, and i’m a small person, with baby strength.

Somehow I missed this (above). My bad.

The 8.75 and 8.38 have very different shapes. The 8.38 is much more pointed/rounded, with shorter feeling kicks. The 8.75 is closer to a "full" type shape (e.g. less taper in nose/tail), and longer kicks. I normally ride the 8.25/14.38, hate the 8.38/14.5, and like the 8.75/14.62 a lot. Side note, I recently started riding the 8.75/14.5 Black Label, and I am really, really, really liking it. It's more nimble than the 8.75/14.62, but still has that wider-deck stability. Still a bit clunky on flip tricks, but otherwise a fantastic deck that is quickly replacing my DLX 8.75 as my go-to "big board." Def give that a hard look if you want something a bit more manageable than the 8.75/14.62, but don't want to drop down too much.

IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

DERBY

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #2642 on: May 15, 2024, 06:53:54 PM »
new chandler graphic looks so sick but that shit long af

8.5 x 32.6 WB 14.69

https://www.thereskateboards.com/products/chandler-festering-jester-8-5

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 222
  • Get bent
« Reply #2643 on: May 16, 2024, 04:38:54 AM »

8.5 x 32.6 WB 14.69

Damn he does forward flips with that tank???
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2644 on: May 16, 2024, 05:04:26 AM »
Expand Quote

8.5 x 32.6 WB 14.69

[close]

Damn he does forward flips with that tank???

^ He’s a big dude.

CarcassToss

• Rep: 33
« Reply #2645 on: May 16, 2024, 06:34:39 AM »
Maybe all that board creates the momentum for it to flip over and we're all sleeping on what could be the new best tech shape.

I stood on this deck at the shop thinking it was that 14.35 8.5 they do and it definitely feels every bit as long as the dims.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1040
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2646 on: May 16, 2024, 04:16:08 PM »
Maybe all that board creates the momentum for it to flip over and we're all sleeping on what could be the new best tech shape.

I stood on this deck at the shop thinking it was that 14.35 8.5 they do and it definitely feels every bit as long as the dims.

It is comparable to the older longer DLX shape with dimensions being 8.5 x 32.5 with 14.75 wb or more commonly the 8.62 which is even bigger and longer again, also 14.75 wb with long kicks.

Very stable and solid for going fast, but definitely a bit of a monster for people who are not so used to bigger boards.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 251
  • sup dog
« Reply #2647 on: May 18, 2024, 07:14:12 AM »
Hey there, big boy.

I’m not letting my YouTube algorithm anywhere near that video.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2648 on: May 18, 2024, 08:16:01 PM »
Hey there, big boy.

Even for an 8.5 sized board they are pretty big.

I still haven't skated any more of the half a dozen I got after I set up the first one.  That said, I don't really skate much bigger stuff any more either, which was why I set it up to begin with.

It is a big, square and comfortable to ride board, but I think there are certain tastes that a lot of people just don't really want in the FULL shape, with more people going for the Full SE shape, as per current market trends.

At least bringing this out every so often, anyone who does like that shape can stock up.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2252
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #2649 on: May 19, 2024, 01:31:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Hey there, big boy.

[close]

I still haven't skated any more of the half a dozen I got after I set up the first one.  That said, I don't really skate much bigger stuff any more either, which was why I set it up to begin with.

It is a big, square and comfortable to ride board, but I think there are certain tastes that a lot of people just don't really want in the FULL shape, with more people going for the Full SE shape, as per current market trends.

At least bringing this out every so often, anyone who does like that shape can stock up.
100% would ride that 8.5 Full shape for daaays if it was avail on the regs.
That’s my flavor!

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

mvdbosch90

• Rep: 22
« Reply #2650 on: May 19, 2024, 07:02:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I’m currently skating an AH Grant Taylor 8.75 14.62WB (same as the white Classic Eagle). Although I like the full and long nose and tail, I’m considering sizing down a bit to make my board a bit more manageable for flip tricks. I see most AH 8.5 decks have a 14.25WB which I would probably find too cramped, so I’m looking at an 8.38 with 14.5WB that our local shop has in stock (the Daan van der Linde pigeon vision, same shape as the green classic eagle). It does have a bit shorter and pointier nose and tail though.

Has anyone skated both and noticed any noteworthy differences? I’m currently skating the 8.75 with Indy Titanium 159s, which I’m planning on using on the 8.38 as well.
[close]

@Sedition can give you a thoughtful reply, i believe they sometimes mess around with the 8.75.
iirc the 8.62 and 8.38 have similar shapes, comparatively pointy in the nose and tail, compared to some of the other sizes.

i have one in my stack, its much larger than what i normally ride (i thought i was riding a generic generator version of this shape, but i am wrong, per usual).

brophy shape. 8.6, i think 14.75 wb….something about that one still worked for me, and i’m a small person, with baby strength.
[close]

The 8.75 and 8.38 have very different shapes. The 8.38 is much more pointed/rounded, with shorter feeling kicks. The 8.75 is closer to a "full" type shape (e.g. less taper in nose/tail), and longer kicks. I normally ride the 8.25/14.38, hate the 8.38/14.5, and like the 8.75/14.62 a lot. Side note, I recently started riding the 8.75/14.5 Black Label, and I am really, really, really liking it. It's more nimble than the 8.75/14.62, but still has that wider-deck stability. Still a bit clunky on flip tricks, but otherwise a fantastic deck that is quickly replacing my DLX 8.75 as my go-to "big board." Def give that a hard look if you want something a bit more manageable than the 8.75/14.62, but don't want to drop down too much.

Thanks for the reply and no worries, I missed your reply as well. I’ve been a bit busy lately :P

Very useful info! In the meantime I already found a good deal on the 8.38 classic eagle and gave it a try. I must say that I completely agree with you. The kicks on the 8.38 feel shorter and steeper which really messes with my pop timing. And even though the nose and tail are not as pointy as other brands, I still like the fuller shape of the 8.75 nose and tail. The shorter wheelbase (14.5 on paper, 14.4 when I measured it) does help a bit with rotational tricks though. Despite that, I switched back to the 8.75/14.62. It just feels ‘right’ for me at the moment. I’m definitely staying on 8.75, maybe I’ll give the Black Label one a try. The Polar 8.75 popsicles also seem like they have more of a full shaped nose and tail and have a 14.38WB, might be interesting as well :) The madness continues…

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2651 on: May 19, 2024, 07:19:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Thanks for the reply and no worries, I missed your reply as well. I’ve been a bit busy lately :P

Very useful info! In the meantime I already found a good deal on the 8.38 classic eagle and gave it a try. I must say that I completely agree with you. The kicks on the 8.38 feel shorter and steeper which really messes with my pop timing. And even though the nose and tail are not as pointy as other brands, I still like the fuller shape of the 8.75 nose and tail. The shorter wheelbase (14.5 on paper, 14.4 when I measured it) does help a bit with rotational tricks though. Despite that, I switched back to the 8.75/14.62. It just feels ‘right’ for me at the moment. I’m definitely staying on 8.75, maybe I’ll give the Black Label one a try. The Polar 8.75 popsicles also seem like they have more of a full shaped nose and tail and have a 14.38WB, might be interesting as well :) The madness continues…

I usually also measure the “effective tail” of decks (bottom of deck, edge of baseplate to end of tail, using a tailor’s tape). Others on here will disagree with this statement, but every 8.38 I’ve had has measured a slightly shorter tail than 8.25/14.38 I normally ride. Same on top of deck, too. We are talking like tiny amounts, 1/16th of an inch here. Again, others will disagree with this statement, but I find the 8.38 tail to be fractionally shorter. Combine that with its shape, and I just hate the short feel of the 8.38 (tail).

I might have to give that 8.75/14.38 Polar a look sometime. Love me some 14.38. But, def take a hard look at that 8.75/14.5 Label. It’s a great 8.75 deck.

CarcassToss

• Rep: 33
« Reply #2652 on: May 19, 2024, 07:46:03 AM »
I didn't know that about the 8.38 tail. I love that shape. For a while I'd ride that or the Generator 8.5 and had an easy time going between them but the 8.38 felt way more manageable for the wheelbase.

I've ridden an Easy Rider and it's cool, but as others pointed out and I noted the end of the kicks are at the same angle so the actual pop to me felt mostly the same as normal, but tricks in the pocket felt a bit different and the deck feels slightly roomier. I'm not really sold for the normal length decks but I could see someone wanting a shorter deck liking them.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2252
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #2653 on: May 19, 2024, 11:53:53 AM »
I’m really into the easy rider nose/tail sharing the same angle.
Tail feels… like a tail, I guess, but the nose hits quicker for me on nollie stuff & I guess I’m enjoying that more than I thought I might have. 
Would be interesting to see that same mold used for twins, as Ben had suggested they might, or even in a shaped deck application.
Maybe a 14.5 WB for us leggier types?

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2654 on: May 19, 2024, 05:11:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
strength.
[close]

[close]

[close]

I usually also measure the “effective tail” of decks (bottom of deck, edge of baseplate to end of tail, using a tailor’s tape). Others on here will disagree with this statement, but every 8.38 I’ve had has measured a slightly shorter tail than 8.25/14.38 I normally ride. Same on top of deck, too. We are talking like tiny amounts, 1/16th of an inch here. Again, others will disagree with this statement, but I find the 8.38 tail to be fractionally shorter. Combine that with its shape, and I just hate the short feel of the 8.38 (tail).

I might have to give that 8.75/14.38 Polar a look sometime. Love me some 14.38. But, def take a hard look at that 8.75/14.5 Label. It’s a great 8.75 deck.

As much as I have been on the 8.38 shape for a while now, after skating the 8.75 and a few others recently, I really do notice the tail on the 8.38 feeling a bit small now, especially considering the differences as noted to the tails on some of the other boards.

I almost got one of the Black Label 8.75 just to see, but decided it wasn't worth it (paying full retail is something I just can't justify, especially without actually seeing the board) but I have had a few of those Polar 8.75 boards and they do skate well for a wide board that doesn't have a longer wheelbase.  The shape is a fair bit different, so I would say see it in person before getting one - might just be my eye, but it was weird to look at, but skated fine.

Still have too many of the DLX 8.38 and 8.75 boards ready to go at any rate, so no need to get other different boards at this point, but I also have a lot of the BBS 8.5 standard shape, which is my current go to for a couple of regular sessions - just a more comfortable tail and not quite as big as the 8.75 for casual skatepark sessions.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2655 on: May 19, 2024, 05:17:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Hey there, big boy.

[close]

[close]
100% would ride that 8.5 Full shape for daaays if it was avail on the regs.
That’s my flavor!

It was funny cause when it came out it was everywhere with lots of options in different graphics across the DLX range, but now, especially with the Full SE boards being a bit more popular, there seem to be very few options, like you have to get half a dozen of the same board or more when you do see them just to have them on the regular.

If you are usually repainting them, I guess that is not a worry either, with the same graphic over and over again being a bit average if you are not feeling it too.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2656 on: May 20, 2024, 07:02:23 PM »

I see the Real Summer catalog is up, including the Real FULL 8.5 board as per pics / posts above, but also one new board shape in there, which reminds me a lot of the Dane 1 - the Nicole Hause shaped deck, as per pic below.

https://www.realskateboards.com/summer-2024/

9.75 x 31.56 with a 14.1 wheelbase.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 866
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #2657 on: Today at 12:25:20 AM »

I see the Real Summer catalog is up, including the Real FULL 8.5 board as per pics / posts above, but also one new board shape in there, which reminds me a lot of the Dane 1 - the Nicole Hause shaped deck, as per pic below.

isnt that the jim t shape?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2658 on: Today at 01:52:58 AM »
Expand Quote

https://www.realskateboards.com/img/2024/06-rs-sum-24-d1-nicole-pig-romp.jpg
[close]

isnt that the jim t shape?

Ha yeah, I thought it was a little familiar, more so than just a Dane 1...

I had a look and although I can't find the exact dimensions of some other older boards, I did see the Unity board in the same dimensions so it has been out before, most likely as a Jim or similar deck too.

https://shop.ccs.com/products/unity-on-top-skateboard-deck-9-75

9.75" Width x 31.56" Length
Wheelbase: 14.1"

* Found this one:

https://www.35thave.com/shop/c/p/Real-Jim-Thiebaud-Wrench-Justice-975-x-3225-x31370565.htm

Real Jim Thiebaud Wrench Justice 9.75 x 32.25 with a 14.5 in wheelbase.
Assorted stains

Wasn't there a pink one too?

I have the Hot Butterknife deck but that is closer to the Gonz, 14.37 wheelbase.

https://www.boardparadise.com/products/real-guerrero-hot-butterknife-skateboard-deck-9-75x32-2-blk.html

« Last Edit: Today at 02:02:47 AM by Mbrimson88 »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2659 on: Today at 02:10:49 AM »

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2660 on: Today at 08:03:45 AM »
Random thoughts on new Real drop:

(1) Was surprised to see an 8.75/14.62 in their line up. Those bigger boards always seem to be 18/Krook.

(2) For long time Real graphics were pretty mundane and boring. In recent times, they have seemed a bit better/more interesting. This drop is going back to boring.

(3) The cathedral series needs to die, imho.

(4) Yeah, it's just the first summer drop, but for a summer drop, it seems thin. I feel like summer drops are usually chock-full of decks.

mvdbosch90

• Rep: 22
« Reply #2661 on: Today at 09:02:19 AM »
For anyone interested, I found a pdf of the dlxsf summer drop, also including krooked and anti hero :)

http://irnsuperior.com/catalog/catalog/2024-summer-drop1-hardgoods.pdf