Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 719992 times)

saltusnaut

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 36
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #3390 on: April 16, 2021, 07:39:34 AM »
Had a session with 56mm 97a classic in our slippery masonite indoor park.
Best wheels ive tried for that senario. Felt so powerful with that little bit of extra grip compared to 99a.
I have high hopes for the summer and crusty Streets around my home town.

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #3391 on: April 16, 2021, 09:52:07 AM »
Anyone else find that 101 F4s actually grip a little better than the 99s?  I started riding some 101 radial slims this week expecting them to be slipperier, but I find they grab a little better on dusty ground and they're faster to boot.  Maybe it's just my imagination, but it's almost like they are to the 99s what Bones SPF is to STF.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #3392 on: April 16, 2021, 10:19:14 AM »
Anyone else find that 101 F4s actually grip a little better than the 99s?  I started riding some 101 radial slims this week expecting them to be slipperier, but I find they grab a little better on dusty ground and they're faster to boot.  Maybe it's just my imagination, but it's almost like they are to the 99s what Bones SPF is to STF.

I’ve noticed the same for all my 101 F4 also. Surprising! I wonder if that applies to other wheels too, like Oj elites. My bones 99’s are definitely way grippier than their harder formulas so it doesn’t hold there.

Eggie Vedder

• Rep: 32
« Reply #3393 on: April 16, 2021, 11:21:38 AM »
I’m about to get some new wheels. I’ve skated the spitfire classics 54mm forever. I mainly skate ledges and 4-5 foot transition. The ground around me is comically bad so 55mm 97a seems really appealing but I’m worried about pulling the trigger. Can you still power slide normally with something that soft? Does it feel more like a cruiser wheel or regular wheel.

FirstBlood82

• Rep: 118
« Reply #3394 on: April 16, 2021, 11:39:28 AM »
I’m about to get some new wheels. I’ve skated the spitfire classics 54mm forever. I mainly skate ledges and 4-5 foot transition. The ground around me is comically bad so 55mm 97a seems really appealing but I’m worried about pulling the trigger. Can you still power slide normally with something that soft? Does it feel more like a cruiser wheel or regular wheel.

for me it is hard to powerslide at the concretepark, have not tried on asphalt

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #3395 on: April 16, 2021, 11:43:52 AM »

Like a regular wheel. I think people expect these to feel like a keyframe or something, but these are a lot closer to a 99 but a little more forgiving. Same bark and slide though.

For reference I skate mostly curb spots in an east coast city.

mbam003

• Rep: 20
« Reply #3396 on: April 16, 2021, 11:48:16 AM »

In my opinion the slide/grip ratio has everything to do with the ride patch width. Had some 51 Classic 101's - these have to be the slipperiest wheels I have ever used. These things were nasty slippery on masonite. Then got 52 Tablets 99 - those are as solid as a rock in comparison. Have to actually work them to get them to slide. They are slower compared to wheels with a slim riding patch, but I'll take that, especially indoors.

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #3397 on: April 16, 2021, 11:53:17 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I’ve noticed the same for all my 101 F4 also. Surprising! I wonder if that applies to other wheels too, like Oj elites. My bones 99’s are definitely way grippier than their harder formulas so it doesn’t hold there.

Glad it's not just me then!  They still slide great, but they bark louder (which is fun) and they seem to allow more control when it comes to speed checks.  It's also nice on 180 tricks since you can power through while reverting with a little extra force and not worry as much about looping out.  They're an awesome park wheel, but they still feel too hard and slow on even ordinary asphalt.  I'll stick with 99s for slappies and what little street skating I actually do, unless and until I spring for some of the 97s everyone in here is constantly praising.

In my opinion the slide/grip ratio has everything to do with the ride patch width. Had some 51 Classic 101's - these have to be the slipperiest wheels I have ever used. These things were nasty slippery on masonite. Then got 52 Tablets 99 - those are as solid as a rock in comparison. Have to actually work them to get them to slide. They are slower compared to wheels with a slim riding patch, but I'll take that, especially indoors.

Yeah, I can definitely tell a difference between radials and radial slims in terms of how well they hold on, given how much wider radials are, but I'm comparing apples to apples here. I went from 54mm 99a radial slims to 54mm 101a radial slims and can definitely tell a difference in terms of how they grip, and it didn't go in the direction I'd have expected.

mbam003

• Rep: 20
« Reply #3398 on: April 16, 2021, 11:56:08 AM »
Yeah, I can definitely tell a difference between radials and radial slims in terms of how well they hold on, given how much wider radials are, but I'm comparing apples to apples here. I went from 54mm 99a radial slims to 54mm 101a radial slims and can definitely tell a difference in terms of how they grip, and it didn't go in the direction I'd have expected.

Yup I get it, makes me wonder whether the 101 Tablets would grip like 99 Tablets on Masonite. If they do that would be amazing as they only complaint I have towards 99 Tablets is they're pretty slow.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #3399 on: April 17, 2021, 08:30:42 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yup I get it, makes me wonder whether the 101 Tablets would grip like 99 Tablets on Masonite. If they do that would be amazing as they only complaint I have towards 99 Tablets is they're pretty slow.

I have been riding 99A Tablets for a few weeks now after years of 104B SPFs. Contrary to what I expected, they don’t feel slower at all. On rough ground they smooth everything out a bit, which makes me add a push here and there. In the smooth concrete bowl I can push the corners harder. So effectively they are even faster but just rolling downhill on smooth ground doesn’t feel slower either.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1960
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3400 on: April 17, 2021, 09:55:59 PM »
Lost a huge chunk of wheel on my 99a Radial Slims on a poorly maintained park ledge. The angle iron is coming out the ledge and probably look a bit off on a slide. They still roll fine, not feeling the missing chunk yet but it's a matter of time before it falls apart.
I got myself a set of Bones V3s and had plans to swap out but I've been spoiled by Spitfires.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

zozu

• Rep: 122
« Reply #3401 on: April 18, 2021, 04:03:09 AM »
Whats up with lots of people running OG classics now? I feel like I notice more pros than ever are skating them.
One that surprised me is Bobby in the new Quasi video.

I kinda want to try them out if not just for the fact they don't go yellow after 1 session.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1037
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3402 on: April 18, 2021, 04:31:02 AM »
Lost a huge chunk of wheel on my 99a Radial Slims on a poorly maintained park ledge. The angle iron is coming out the ledge and probably look a bit off on a slide. They still roll fine, not feeling the missing chunk yet but it's a matter of time before it falls apart.
I got myself a set of Bones V3s and had plans to swap out but I've been spoiled by Spitfires.

I'd like to see that.

Looks something like these ones?

Note:  This is not a manufacturing issue, it is a location issue - big old screw sticking out of a ledge took a chunk out of the wheel.  The rest of the info in the post, but too much to put up here when people don't need to read it.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3403 on: April 18, 2021, 05:40:21 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'd like to see that.

Note:  This is not a manufacturing issue, it is a location issue - big old screw sticking out of a ledge took a chunk out of the wheel.  The rest of the info in the post, but too much to put up here when people don't need to read it.

💔
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3404 on: April 18, 2021, 08:41:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

I'd like to see that.

[close]
💔

Not a worry at all, as it is on the side, not really on the riding surface and I put them on the front heel, so it will wear the least as well as give me less trouble than a back one or the toe side.

For another set very similar, I turned them into classic full shaped wheels and they roll just fine, so this is easy enough to use an angle grinder on and round them down some.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1015
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #3405 on: April 19, 2021, 08:52:11 PM »
Whats up with lots of people running OG classics now? I feel like I notice more pros than ever are skating them.

I kinda want to try them out if not just for the fact they don't go yellow after 1 session.

Maybe that's what's in the monthly box?

Sell the F4$, skate the OGs.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3406 on: April 20, 2021, 02:28:23 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Maybe that's what's in the monthly box?

Sell the F4$, skate the OGs.

OG Classic come in original and Formula Four urethane too so they have them covered in pretty much all the sizes, but they do seem to be the new cool shape of wheel to ride - squared off sides but not very wide like some other shapes.

I have the 55 and 60 mm from the original urethane from before covid and they are pretty good for what I use them for.

The original urethane can sometimes go really yellow really quickly and other times it stays bright milky white for longer, but the yellowed urethane actually skates a whole lot better, lasts longer and is much less likely to flatspot too.

Trying to show the profile of the wheels / side view as well...

« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 02:41:31 AM by Mbrimson88 »

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #3407 on: April 20, 2021, 06:23:23 AM »
Just got a pair of 56mm 97a classics so I’m stoked to get out there and try them

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #3408 on: April 20, 2021, 06:48:34 AM »
Just got a pair of 56mm 97a classics so I’m stoked to get out there and try them
great choice. Loving my 54mm 97a classics but the temptation has me wanting to step up to the 56mm conical fulls too

When did 58mm come out?
https://www.zumiez.com/spitfire-formula-four-classic-58mm-97a-natural-turquoise-skateboard-wheels.html

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #3409 on: April 20, 2021, 07:23:40 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
great choice. Loving my 54mm 97a classics but the temptation has me wanting to step up to the 56mm conical fulls too

When did 58mm come out?
https://www.zumiez.com/spitfire-formula-four-classic-58mm-97a-natural-turquoise-skateboard-wheels.html
i dont need two setups at once
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
« Reply #3410 on: April 20, 2021, 07:30:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

When did 58mm come out?
[close]

What do you mean by NEED? You know what you have to do...

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 179
« Reply #3411 on: April 20, 2021, 08:13:36 AM »
Grabbing some 53mm and 56mm classic F4s today. I havent tried F4s at all since I came back to skating but everyone seems to really like them, and I cant find a wheel I like otherwise...and I cant do colored wheels, try as I have....soooo....back to (upgraded) basics.
ok thanks

YungJugg

• Rep: 229
« Reply #3412 on: April 20, 2021, 08:19:31 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

When did 58mm come out?

damn the link says classic but it brings you to a conical full.

I’m holding out for a 58mm 97a classic

chris.

• Rep: 184
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3413 on: April 26, 2021, 05:29:46 PM »
There is a school with fun, mellow curbs that is seconds from my house but the ground is hell. 56mm 97 classics unlocked the spot. These are great wheels.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 552
« Reply #3414 on: April 26, 2021, 05:50:51 PM »
There is a school with fun, mellow curbs that is seconds from my house but the ground is hell. 56mm 97 classics unlocked the spot. These are great wheels.

Yea. These became my slappy wheels. Perfect hardness.

sketchyrider

« Reply #3415 on: April 28, 2021, 08:07:51 AM »
has anyone ever actually seen regular conicals (not full) in 101a? i've had my eye out for months.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #3416 on: April 28, 2021, 08:11:02 AM »
has anyone ever actually seen regular conicals (not full) in 101a? i've had my eye out for months.

I had a set of 54s a few years ago. They used to be way more common, but I can't even remember the last time I saw a some.

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #3417 on: April 28, 2021, 09:14:48 AM »
Apologies if it’s been discussed before but thoughts on 52mm 99D tablets? Canadian ground. I know most would run bigger wheels but I’m a one setup guy right now and worry anything over a 53mm would give me a lot of wheel bite. I run my trucks medium-tight. Mostly skate flat and curbs. Cruise the park a bit but not that often.

Open to other suggestions as well.

ballintoohard

« Reply #3418 on: April 28, 2021, 09:36:19 AM »
They're fine. I had them and liked them more or less, they're pretty light, pretty fast, not super different from a Conical, which I like better.

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #3419 on: April 28, 2021, 11:10:11 AM »