Author Topic: The Last Good Movie You Saw?  (Read 945651 times)

Mean salto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 862
Re: The Last Good Movie You Saw?
« Reply #10110 on: August 07, 2023, 10:07:12 PM »
Geez Mark Margolis got his own thread, but not one mention of William Friedkin, one out top directors and cool guys
Fukn bummer rip. Prob have named six of his movies in this thread this year. 87 is a pretty good run.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #10111 on: August 07, 2023, 10:14:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Geez Mark Margolis got his own thread, but not one mention of William Friedkin, one out top directors and cool guys
[close]
Fukn bummer rip. Prob have named six of his movies in this thread this year. 87 is a pretty good run.

I think I might actually see the Exorcist sequel coming out soon.   I like David Gordon Green, but I didn’t think much of his Halloween movies, but I think this might tap more into his skills and be a more interesting story to follow up

@Mean salto - you’re Aussie, no?   Did you see Talk to Me?   Did it register much there?

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10112 on: August 07, 2023, 10:28:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I think I might actually see the Exorcist sequel coming out soon.   I like David Gordon Green, but I didn’t think much of his Halloween movies, but I think this might tap more into his skills and be a more interesting story to follow up

@Mean salto - you’re Aussie, no?   Did you see Talk to Me?   Did it register much there?
Yes from aus. I saw you mention it and it completely missed my radar so as far as my little bubble goes it didn't register at all down here. I looked up the session times for my local cinema and it's not even being advertised so either it already came and went or they aren't getting it for another month or more. Unfortunately as far as in person chit chat at work etc unless it's fast and furious or marvel type big movie nobody will talk about it.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10113 on: August 07, 2023, 11:18:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
Yes from aus. I saw you mention it and it completely missed my radar so as far as my little bubble goes it didn't register at all down here. I looked up the session times for my local cinema and it's not even being advertised so either it already came and went or they aren't getting it for another month or more. Unfortunately as far as in person chit chat at work etc unless it's fast and furious or marvel type big movie nobody will talk about it.

Gotcha.   It’s been a weird year for movies and I saw this one did really well considering it was opening whilst Barbenheimer rumbles on (still haven’t seen either weirdly) and thought it might have done well there bc of hometown love and people just seem to show up for horror movies.   

Beanie Bubble was enjoyable for what it was.        Everything was solid (not damning it with faint praise btw)

Haunted Mansion was fine fun.   Decent enough 2 hours to kill in a theater.   Didn’t resent time spent there, as opposed to…     

New Transformers was dumb.   Not expecting much, but I wish I was warned Pete Davidson voiced the main transformer.   People made it seem like he was barely in it.   

About to dip my toe into 80s Remo Williams for the first time.   

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 682
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10114 on: August 08, 2023, 12:36:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The Drop. It’s on MAX. James Gandolfini’s last film…RIP

[close]

‘No one ever sees you coming…’
[close]

Best quote from the movie…. I hadn’t seen it since it was released and forgot about the “twist”… i guess you could call it that.
[close]

Killing them softly. One of many great Gandolfini moments…

I liked that film… not sure why it was critically panned. But unfortunately i think i read or maybe heard (might’ve even been on here) there were parallels to his IRL lifestyle and that character he played… he was in some great movies.
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10115 on: August 09, 2023, 07:30:15 AM »
@Atiba Applebum i meant to respond to you, did you end up getting that gig with Pitts production back then? I know he produced it, not sure why critics seemed to hate it. I mean it wasn’t the greatest mobster flick… still enjoyable. A Cool story, decent casting etc..

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10116 on: August 09, 2023, 07:50:11 AM »
@Atiba Applebum i meant to respond to you, did you end up getting that gig with Pitts production back then? I know he produced it, not sure why critics seemed to hate it. I mean it wasn’t the greatest mobster flick… still enjoyable. A Cool story, decent casting etc..

I did, but it wasn’t a great internship.    It was a small company and the two execs were off on shoots the whole time (I believe on location for World War Z) so things were slow at the office and they didn’t really need much.   

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10117 on: August 09, 2023, 04:13:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I did, but it wasn’t a great internship.    It was a small company and the two execs were off on shoots the whole time (I believe on location for World War Z) so things were slow at the office and they didn’t really need much.

It was also called Plan B and the “second in command” was Jeremy Kleiner, both which amused me on a skateboarding level

GS77

• Rep: 94
« Reply #10118 on: August 09, 2023, 05:15:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The Drop. It’s on MAX. James Gandolfini’s last film…RIP

[close]

‘No one ever sees you coming…’
[close]

Best quote from the movie…. I hadn’t seen it since it was released and forgot about the “twist”… i guess you could call it that.
[close]

Killing them softly. One of many great Gandolfini moments…

[close]

I liked that film… not sure why it was critically panned. But unfortunately i think i read or maybe heard (might’ve even been on here) there were parallels to his IRL lifestyle and that character he played… he was in some great movies.

Probably because there were no likable characters and no love story a la The Drop. Also I don’t remember Killing Them being much of a commentary on anything. But the I love the guys that played the robbers (Ben and Scoot) and of course any scene with BP and JG is gold.

I liked Little Odessa with Tim Roth and the critics didn’t care for that either. But I could watch Tim Roth do basically anything and be entertained.

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 88
« Reply #10119 on: August 09, 2023, 05:28:11 PM »
The Pawnshop Chronicles. Its like store brand Pulp Fiction. Good enough to keep me engaged and guessing.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10120 on: August 09, 2023, 06:17:28 PM »
Alright I’m watching the Drop again.   Remember not feeling much about it even though it had a great cast and Dennis Lehane wrote it, but I’m happy to be mistaken

Update: enjoyed it a lot.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2023, 09:20:20 PM by Atiba Applebum »

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 276
« Reply #10121 on: August 09, 2023, 10:45:58 PM »
Shin Ultraman (2022)

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1110
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #10122 on: August 10, 2023, 12:42:46 AM »
I think Andrew Dominik built up so much good will with "Chopper" and "The Assassination of Jesse James..." that "Killing Them Softly" was a rather big let down to most. I've only seen the latter film about six or so years ago and was pretty unimpressed. Ben Mendelsohn is one of my favorite actors and I found him and his buddy pretty irritating throughout, almost cartoonish. Something just rang false and hollow about this one to me, like it was trying to be this epic gangster film but didn't have the heart or the pedigree to pull it of. That said, I don't think I gave it my full attn and I can tell there was something deeper Dominik was going for by framing against the 2008 election (I just hope I missed the depth the first time around). Since you guys mentioned it, I'll pull out the DVD and give it its proper day in court.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2023, 12:53:27 AM by EdLawndale »
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10123 on: August 10, 2023, 01:07:39 AM »
I think Andrew Dominik built up so much good will with "Chopper" and "The Assassination of Jesse James..." that "Killing Them Softly" was a rather big let down to most. I've only seen the latter film about six or so years ago and was pretty unimpressed. Ben Mendelsohn is one of my favorite actors and I found him and his buddy pretty irritating throughout, almost cartoonish. Something just rang false and hollow about this one to me, like it was trying to be this epic gangster film but didn't have the heart or the pedigree to pull it of. That said, I don't think I gave it my full attn and I can tell there was something deeper Dominik was going for by framing against the 2008 election (I just hope I missed the depth the first time around). Since you guys mentioned it, I'll pull out the DVD and give it its proper day in court.

I don’t know if it was trying to be, but I think everyone wanted it to be an epic.   It felt like an adaptation of a play to me.  But who knows, I like dialogue heavy movies like that.   Once I realized what The Counsellor was, I got on board with it

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10124 on: August 10, 2023, 04:51:01 AM »
All fair criticisms…

I think the Drop i didn’t like it too much the first time i saw it. But 10 years later rewatching i throughly enjoyed it. Granted I’m a fan of Gandolfini and Tom Hardy.. acting was pretty on point.

Killing Them Softly has a solid screenplay imo. Nothing ground breaking, But mobsters during a recession kind of cracks me up.

Ill parlay that into my fandom of netflix’s Bloodline lol. Ben Mendelsohn is just fantastic in it ..

DakotaRed

• Rep: 25
« Reply #10125 on: August 10, 2023, 05:49:49 AM »
I'm a fan of KTS and I also think the criticisms are fair. I do watch the final scene with BP's monologue when I'm feeling cynical. I recently watched Cassavetes' Faces. A huge fan but somehow never got around to it. I'm happy I watched it at this point in my life though because I'm not sure it would have hit me the same with less life/relationship experience.

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #10126 on: August 10, 2023, 07:51:50 AM »
Yeah, agreed that Mendelsohn is absolutely electrifying in that first season of "Bloodline" ("Animal Kingdom" as well).

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10127 on: August 10, 2023, 07:57:54 AM »
Yeah, agreed that Mendelsohn is absolutely electrifying in that first season of "Bloodline" ("Animal Kingdom" as well).

Old rumor that Russell Crowe fucked him out of the role in Romper Stomper and it sent BM into the wilderness for years.   Weird to see him pop up in Dark Knight Rises

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -70
« Reply #10128 on: August 10, 2023, 10:58:13 AM »

I'd never even heard of this movie but it was better than I expected.
If you can go into it with zero information (don't even read description) it'd be especially good.

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #10129 on: August 12, 2023, 05:10:26 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Old rumor that Russell Crowe fucked him out of the role in Romper Stomper and it sent BM into the wilderness for years.   Weird to see him pop up in Dark Knight Rises

I have "Romper Stomper" on DVD, will break it out and picture Mendelsohn in the role (he seems a little too non-threatening physically for me to imagine rn -- more of a serpent than a brute as far as evil goes).

I didn't realize William Friedkin died last week. What a loss. "To Live and Die in L.A." is a masterpiece (cannot praise this film enough), as are "Sorcerer" and "The French Connection." Never seen "The Exorcist" but it has an incredible reputation. The guy was a genius director. Saw him in Q&A with the David McKenna years ago before a "Sorcerer" screening and he was a character. RIP
« Last Edit: August 12, 2023, 05:20:08 PM by EdLawndale »

Velcro Wallet

• Rep: 216
« Reply #10130 on: August 12, 2023, 09:39:27 PM »
The hotshot scene in Animal Kingdom was full on

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #10131 on: August 12, 2023, 11:18:30 PM »
Starred Up, with Mendelsohn and Jack O’Connell, is an underrated film.

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10132 on: August 13, 2023, 12:45:15 AM »

Damn that was intense lol… Chopper and Bronson vibes…

This one of his has been on my Netflix queue for a minute…

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10133 on: August 13, 2023, 02:14:43 AM »

Starred Up and ‘71 should have strapped a rocket to his back, but that Angelina Jolie flop seemed to ruin all his momentum or he just didn’t want to do the Hollywood thing after a bad experience

Carrolls Chesthairs

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
  • HANNIBAL!!
« Reply #10134 on: August 14, 2023, 05:13:22 AM »
Barbie
Oppenheimer
Silence of the Lambs (first time watching finally)
The Drop (as mentioned above)

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10135 on: August 14, 2023, 05:37:38 AM »
Barbie
Oppenheimer
Do you think you'd go to the cinema to see silence of the lambs these days?

Carrolls Chesthairs

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
  • HANNIBAL!!
« Reply #10136 on: August 14, 2023, 05:59:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Barbie
Oppenheimer
[close]

idk Jodie Foster  8)
I'd say it holds up good enough
Maybe?

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10137 on: August 14, 2023, 06:20:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Barbie
Oppenheimer
[close]
[close]

idk Jodie Foster  8)
Maybe?
I think it def holds up as a good movie I watch it every year  but it's just also the movie I have in my head as the example for great movies that nobody would go to the cinema to see if it came out today. But I wouldn't mind being wrong

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #10138 on: August 14, 2023, 06:43:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Barbie
Oppenheimer
[close]
[close]

idk Jodie Foster  8)
Maybe?
[close]
I think it def holds up as a good movie I watch it every year  but it's just also the movie I have in my head as the example for great movies that nobody would go to the cinema to see if it came out today. But I wouldn't mind being wrong

I feel like it wouldn’t get made in its current form as a major studio film, maybe independently and through a smaller distributor, but more likely as a limited series.  I think its path to getting a big theatrical audience today would be to market it more as a horror film, and to downplay its procedural elements.  Sort of how A Haunting in Venice is being positioned in materials as horror, without highlighting the fact it’s another Poirot film.  Look at Fincher, he’s been mostly pushed to the small screen when it comes to his crime/investigatory projects.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10139 on: August 14, 2023, 06:55:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Barbie
Oppenheimer
[close]
[close]

idk Jodie Foster  8)
Maybe?
[close]
[close]

I feel like it wouldn’t get made in its current form as a major studio film, maybe independently and through a smaller distributor, but more likely as a limited series.  I think its path to getting a big theatrical audience today would be to market it more as a horror film, and to downplay its procedural elements.  Sort of how Haunting in Venice is being positioned in materials as horror, without highlighting the fact it’s another Poirot film.  Look at Fincher, he’s been mostly pushed to the small screen when it comes to his crime/investigatory projects.

Well fincher like Scorsese make very costly films that don’t necessarily make their money back but are good feathers in your cap, which is why streaming companies like them.   Fincher had 3 pilots at HBO going, but he wouldn’t come down on the cost or be flexible so they all failed and he just stopped doing Mindhunter bc he didn’t want to devote time to it anymore.   

But on SotL, it’s very hard to strip it if it’s cultural mark.   To remove it from its time would reconfigure movie history and trends.   Is Manhunter the only other instance of Hannibal Lecter then?   Does Seven get made?  True crime craze?  It’s also the last movie to win the Big Five - Director, Picture, Script, Actor, Actress, so that’s a lot of alchemy to reconfigure.    A mid00s Fincher + Amy Adams would have been a good start,

It’s not a story that necessarily needs to be a movie.   Hannibal the show showed you can mine that source material in a serialized format and it was touching on the Clarice stuff towards the end as much as they were legally allowed to show.

(The story would also be tweaked some what bc gay person being a twisted killer was barely cool in the early 90s.   Basic Instinct had protests because of it)