Author Topic: New Balance # containment thread  (Read 798016 times)

Mongo Lloyd

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 170
Re: New Balance # containment thread
« Reply #4980 on: December 20, 2022, 05:41:23 AM »
Thanks! I was wondering if there were any tying tips for improving heel lift.
Do you get deja vu, huh?

lildonut92

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 10
« Reply #4981 on: December 20, 2022, 05:44:26 AM »
Expand Quote
I’m 30 and starting to feel the pain a lot easier in my feet and knees. I also have wide feet. What’s the consensus on best nb cupsoles for the wide footed? I tried on 440’s and they were alright. But I like shoes with just a little bit more bulk.
[close]

If you still want a thinner shoe with a better sole. I suggest 508s. But try them on if possible. I went TTS and they are on the verge of slightly too big.

I was definitely thinking about the 508 as an option. What’s wrong with the 440’s sole?

As a side note I’m a lifetime vans guy. Mainly half cabs. I’ve worn the same size in most vans for years. I picked up a pair of the new skate half cabs and my feet were being strangled so hard. This is why I’m here haha.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 860
« Reply #4982 on: December 20, 2022, 05:55:31 AM »
^^^i think the 508 is being discontinued. So if youre after a shoe you'll be wearing for the next year or so might want to stock up.
Heard good things about the 288 sport, looks like it could be similar ish to the 508 (but haven't tried it yet myself)

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #4983 on: December 20, 2022, 06:24:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I’m 30 and starting to feel the pain a lot easier in my feet and knees. I also have wide feet. What’s the consensus on best nb cupsoles for the wide footed? I tried on 440’s and they were alright. But I like shoes with just a little bit more bulk.
[close]

If you still want a thinner shoe with a better sole. I suggest 508s. But try them on if possible. I went TTS and they are on the verge of slightly too big.
[close]

I was definitely thinking about the 508 as an option. What’s wrong with the 440’s sole?

As a side note I’m a lifetime vans guy. Mainly half cabs. I’ve worn the same size in most vans for years. I picked up a pair of the new skate half cabs and my feet were being strangled so hard. This is why I’m here haha.

Nothings wrong with the 440 sole. I said that bad. The 440 sole is just a thinner cup sole. Close to a vulc. The 508 has a thicker sore and kinda has chambers in it it looks like from weartested https://www.weartested.com/nb-westgate-508/ so it feels more cushion and comfortable to me.  But I’m also 37 worked a lot if physical jobs so my knees feel  like shit after skating sometimes and these helped that or lessened it. But the heel slip is there. I lace them the way posted above. But if you typically skate vulcs you may really enjoy the 440. It’s like a gods best if both worlds type shoe

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4984 on: December 20, 2022, 07:25:57 AM »
I've said it a ton of times but I just use a different insole in the 440. Superfeet Run Comfort or Adapt Run. NB sells branded versions of both. Adds just enough padding and support.

Mongo Lloyd

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4985 on: December 20, 2022, 08:17:53 AM »
I have another very strange observation I wanted to add regarding the 808.

I have 2 pairs, one white/navy another wheat/gum. The white/navy pair is the one I had to heat and reshape to make fit my feet. The wheat/gum pair fits perfectly fine out of the box. So for whatever reason there were/are differences in the pliability of the suede between the two color ways. *I did cut the side flaps off of the insoles on both models*

Not sure that this will help anyone here, but I found it to be mildly interesting at least.

Do you get deja vu, huh?

MetalAnkleMan

• Rep: 17
« Reply #4986 on: December 20, 2022, 09:25:52 AM »
I have another very strange observation I wanted to add regarding the 808.

I have 2 pairs, one white/navy another wheat/gum. The white/navy pair is the one I had to heat and reshape to make fit my feet. The wheat/gum pair fits perfectly fine out of the box. So for whatever reason there were/are differences in the pliability of the suede between the two color ways. *I did cut the side flaps off of the insoles on both models*

Not sure that this will help anyone here, but I found it to be mildly interesting at least.

I feel your pain about the 808 and the nightmare it gave you, a while back I made a post of the difference of the 808 Vs 1010. The 808 fit wise was a pain and I did all the things you did to try to make it work, ended up just giving them away. The wheat 808 colorway is all suede and I believe thats why it has a slightly better fit (more stretchy) All in all I have jacked feet w/ history of ankle surgery and the 1010 is my shoe of choice. Mesh toe color ways for wide feet folks. Makes a huge difference. 

Coping Grinder

• Rep: 16
« Reply #4987 on: December 20, 2022, 12:04:24 PM »
^^^i think the 508 is being discontinued. So if youre after a shoe you'll be wearing for the next year or so might want to stock up.
Heard good things about the 288 sport, looks like it could be similar ish to the 508 (but haven't tried it yet myself)

Unless they're planning on doing Brandon Westgate absolutely dirty, I doubt the 508 will be going anywhere anytime soon. Upon reviewing this thread they will be unable to produce his other model, the 913, so they'd be knocking this man down from two pro models to none in one fell swoop!

lildonut92

« Reply #4988 on: December 20, 2022, 06:44:50 PM »
Out of sheer curiosity I ordered a pair of 808’s will report back.

somedudefromnj

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 78
« Reply #4989 on: December 20, 2022, 07:43:33 PM »

I know it is my only contribution to this thread but I am obsessed with the 288 sport. They feel amazing and are a beauty to look down at. Got them after trying the 440, and like most said the 440 feel so thin. The 288s feel protective with more than enough board feel if that makes sense. The upper is solid too, but may feel a bit like a glove to some (which I love)

Shot a message to someone who gets shoes from NB and she mentioned the 288 being similar to the 508. Hoping I can get my hands on a pair if theyre really getting discontinued

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 860
« Reply #4990 on: December 20, 2022, 08:21:04 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Unless they're planning on doing Brandon Westgate absolutely dirty, I doubt the 508 will be going anywhere anytime soon. Upon reviewing this thread they will be unable to produce his other model, the 913, so they'd be knocking this man down from two pro models to none in one fell swoop!
FUCK my brain is melting. Sorry everyone it was the 913 that's being discontinued not the 508. Me fukn dum

Mongo Lloyd

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4991 on: December 21, 2022, 03:08:31 PM »
Ok, I’m back with another observational update regarding sizing of the 808 vs the 1010.

I bought a second pair of the 808 wheat/gum colorway half size up (size 11), and I compared them to the 10.5 1010. The size 11 808 shoe is exactly the same size as the 10.5 1010 in a side by side comparison.

This has been a lot of invested money in trying to find what works for me, but I’m happy I could share my nerdy findings with the folks in this thread.
Do you get deja vu, huh?

Sketch Hitchcock

• Rep: 168
« Reply #4992 on: December 21, 2022, 03:10:04 PM »
Ok, I’m back with another observational update regarding sizing of the 808 vs the 1010.

I bought a second pair of the 808 wheat/gum colorway half size up (size 11), and I compared them to the 10.5 1010. The size 11 808 shoe is exactly the same size as the 10.5 1010 in a side by side comparison.

This has been a lot of invested money in trying to find what works for me, but I’m happy I could share my nerdy findings with the folks in this thread.

The shittiest thing about being a 13 is there are no half sizes

Mongo Lloyd

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4993 on: December 21, 2022, 03:12:59 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The shittiest thing about being a 13 is there are no half sizes

Yeah, that’s gotta suck! I don’t even have big feet, just the one odd wide/weird shaped foot, and even accommodating the difference in size between the two is a pain.

One the one hand I contemplated not updating this thread with every little finding I came across, but if it helps a few people make informed purchases it was well worth it.
Do you get deja vu, huh?

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 470
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4994 on: December 21, 2022, 04:04:04 PM »
I had completely forgotten about the 913 until I saw them on the New Balance website just now. Are you guys sure it’s being discontinued?

https://www.newbalance.com/pd/nb-numeric-brandon-westgate-913/NM913V1-42810.html

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 505
« Reply #4995 on: December 21, 2022, 04:39:49 PM »
I had completely forgotten about the 913 until I saw them on the New Balance website just now. Are you guys sure it’s being discontinued?

https://www.newbalance.com/pd/nb-numeric-brandon-westgate-913/NM913V1-42810.html

unfortunately we're pretty sure

Expand Quote
Looks like the Westgate 913 is back in production. A better shoe than the 508 in my opinion

[close]

FYI guys...if you're a fan of the 913's, please grab these NOW.  Our factory had moved on from the machine used to make part of this sole unit for this shoe specifically so this will most likely be the LAST colorway we are able to make of them.  So if you like them, I would suggest stocking up before they're gone.  No new colors coming.  Sorry!

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 470
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4996 on: December 21, 2022, 05:23:22 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

unfortunately we're pretty sure

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Looks like the Westgate 913 is back in production. A better shoe than the 508 in my opinion

[close]

FYI guys...if you're a fan of the 913's, please grab these NOW.  Our factory had moved on from the machine used to make part of this sole unit for this shoe specifically so this will most likely be the LAST colorway we are able to make of them.  So if you like them, I would suggest stocking up before they're gone.  No new colors coming.  Sorry!
[close]

Ah yes, I remember reading this now. Brain be lagging sometimes.

lildonut92

« Reply #4997 on: December 22, 2022, 01:04:14 PM »
Alright, so the 808’s came in. Took less than 48 hours to get them. I’m not gonna lie, they might be a no go. They seem like they would skate really good though. 

The shape just doesn’t feel comfortable for my weird ass feet. A part of me wonders if it’s worth wearing them around for a month before trying to skate them. Probably gonna return them and try the 1010’s. The search for the right shoe for me continues. 

MetalAnkleMan

• Rep: 17
« Reply #4998 on: December 22, 2022, 01:48:16 PM »
Alright, so the 808’s came in. Took less than 48 hours to get them. I’m not gonna lie, they might be a no go. They seem like they would skate really good though. 

The shape just doesn’t feel comfortable for my weird ass feet. A part of me wonders if it’s worth wearing them around for a month before trying to skate them. Probably gonna return them and try the 1010’s. The search for the right shoe for me continues.

Seems like there has been a lot of sizing/shape problems with the 808's. (Didnt work for me either) If you go to the New Balance website you can see similar reviews for the 808. Come to the 1010 side, much better fit, mesh toe for wide feet. Would love to know the "general feedback" on the 808 and if NB would do something about the sizing/shape problem. I personally like the way the 808 looks over the 1010 and wish it worked for me.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1341
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #4999 on: December 22, 2022, 02:06:37 PM »
So is the general consensus that if the 1010s give you heel slip to try the runner's loop? I had a pair that I bought months ago that I didn't try on beforehand and found they slip too much. I also forgot why I didn't love them so I busted them out and am still getting the same slip. Really comfy otherwise.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

streetmeat

• Rep: 169
« Reply #5000 on: December 22, 2022, 02:08:50 PM »
Wanted to love the 808 cause i think they look so sick but i have no clue who they fit…never have i not been able to wear a shoe until those. i couldnt even just wear them casually, i tried for about two weeks, nothing but pain

Mongo Lloyd

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5001 on: December 22, 2022, 02:15:27 PM »
Wanted to love the 808 cause i think they look so sick but i have no clue who they fit…never have i not been able to wear a shoe until those. i couldnt even just wear them casually, i tried for about two weeks, nothing but pain

Yeah, the suede along the sole is far too rigid and stiff, and the shoes are a half size too small. It’s cause for a lot of squeezing, and imo improper placement of the arch padding.

I experienced everything everyone else is claiming about the 808, but I was able to remedy the situation by taking a heat gun to the problem areas of the shoe and stretching them. It shouldn’t have to come down to that, but there are solutions depending on how commited you feel in trying to make it work. 

@jakeumms , the runner’s loop should do the trick, but another issue is that the 808 doesn’t offer a particularly long lace to work with. So it’s another possible issue to consider.
Do you get deja vu, huh?

cool_hand

• Rep: 0
« Reply #5002 on: December 22, 2022, 04:32:53 PM »
I am on my fourth pair of 1010. Best shoe since Emerica Reynolds G6 was discontinued.

Size down 0.5. Always heel slip the first weeks, this is solved by heel lock lacing.

When the shoe is broken in, you don’t need heel lock lacing anymore.

This shoe takes more time breaking in than a Half Cab will survive, but it is worth it.

All leather ones are more snug and will shrink. Mesh toe a little bit more comfy and holds the size.

The micro perforated tongue is more padded than the bigger perforated tongue some models have. Maybe all models have upgraded thicker tongue nowadays, I don’t know… but it helps locking the heel in so I only buy those models now.

cool_hand

• Rep: 0
« Reply #5003 on: December 22, 2022, 04:31:19 PM »
Double post

lildonut92

« Reply #5004 on: December 22, 2022, 05:27:17 PM »
It feels like the 808 is good for someone with big heels and a narrow toebox. I’m probably gonna try the 1010.

The footwear world in skateboarding is wild right now. I’ve never had this much trouble finding shoes that are comfortable and skate well.

I’m trying to avoid going the dc or es route because I’m not on that 90’s revival tip. But at least some of their options look good for wide feet.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #5005 on: December 22, 2022, 06:01:29 PM »
I only got heel slip with my full suede black/white ones and it went away after a couple sessions and never really felt problematic when skating.

chillclinton87

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #5006 on: December 23, 2022, 02:28:20 AM »
It feels like the 808 is good for someone with big heels and a narrow toebox. I’m probably gonna try the 1010.

The footwear world in skateboarding is wild right now. I’ve never had this much trouble finding shoes that are comfortable and skate well.

I’m trying to avoid going the dc or es route because I’m not on that 90’s revival tip. But at least some of their options look good for wide feet.

thank you for saving me 100€ and a headache!

Will try some 1010s half size down i guess

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5007 on: December 23, 2022, 04:39:10 AM »
I love wearing my 808s. They're snug for sure, but no problems working 13 hours at a bar.

WideFeet

• Rep: 82
« Reply #5008 on: December 23, 2022, 05:59:57 AM »
I’m a 10.5 and have a pretty wide foot. Usually a 10.5 in all shoes. I found the 1010’s to be TTS. Tried on a pair of 808’s, and they are way more narrow. Went up a 1/2 size to a size 11, and they’re perfect. I was really surprised. They were wide enough and not too long. I would honestly say they fit better than the 1010’s.

That sole on the 808 is so thick. Feel like I’m prone to rolling my ankle in them

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -767
« Reply #5009 on: December 23, 2022, 07:01:23 AM »
Does anyone like the 808s? My girlfriend got me a pair for Xmas lol
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in