Author Topic: New Balance # containment thread  (Read 798231 times)

Fartknocker415

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -45
Re: New Balance # containment thread
« Reply #6030 on: July 10, 2023, 10:36:23 AM »
I wanna try the 574 vulc but it’s like 89.99 so if Ima spend 100$ on shoes I’ll just get 808 or 1010

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #6031 on: July 10, 2023, 10:44:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Dear New Balance Numeric,

I love the logic behind the names of your shoes. Higher number = more tech and if it goes beyond 400 = cupsole.

What's the deal with 288 in that case?

I can't sleep at night because of this

Yours sincerely

I.
[close]
Franky's shoe is the 417 and a vulc
[close]
Yup but the lowest NB# cup is the 425 if I'm not mistaken so all good 👍
[close]
it was the 288s, but now it should be the 420 technically
[close]
I meant currently. 420 are not always "in there".
[close]
Speaking of the 420, those should be hitting shops soon, if not today. Anyone know what the colorway is?
[close]
And before the 288s, the original 288 took that spot before they finalized the vulc/cup number break line.

Interestingly enough, some of the earlier models had real names before NM# took off with the naming convention. Quite a few were vulc and probably in the 200-300 range unofficially. Some early examples i can recall:
Brighton (#? Probably 200s)
Quincy (254 and later 255)
Logan (606 ?)
Stratton (533 - PJ'S shoe)
[close]
I remember those names, they were horrible. Thank god they didn't pursue that road.
Btw if the higher the number the more tech and stuff what about 22? Following that convention they should be a sock with laces pretty much 😅
[close]
And now isn't there a 574 vulc? Doesn't quite seem to fit the <400 = vulc theory.

Thankfully Jamie let go of it early on when it was under Black Box ownership. That way, actual NB staff and whoever they hired to revamp the skate division around 2015 or 2016ish could actually use the numbers. I know some people don't like the numbers and think it's confusing, but its the opposite once you learn: lower number = less tech and probably vulc & higher number = more tech and probably cup sole.

About the 574 vulc, a shoe like this is an exception in my mind since they made an existing NB shoe into a vulc for the skate line. Nearly every other shoe from NM# is a new creation and generally follows the cup/vulc trend of <>400 rule that we've seen. I don't think there's a hard number break, and I'm sure @rothdigga can confirm or deny that they follow a general trend, save for a few exceptions.

The 22, funny enough feels like it's slightly more substantial of a shoe than the 212, even haha
Super Champion Fun Zone

rothdigga

• Rep: 584
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6032 on: July 10, 2023, 11:43:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Dear New Balance Numeric,

I love the logic behind the names of your shoes. Higher number = more tech and if it goes beyond 400 = cupsole.

What's the deal with 288 in that case?

I can't sleep at night because of this

Yours sincerely

I.
[close]
Franky's shoe is the 417 and a vulc
[close]
Yup but the lowest NB# cup is the 425 if I'm not mistaken so all good 👍
[close]
it was the 288s, but now it should be the 420 technically
[close]
I meant currently. 420 are not always "in there".
[close]
Speaking of the 420, those should be hitting shops soon, if not today. Anyone know what the colorway is?
[close]
And before the 288s, the original 288 took that spot before they finalized the vulc/cup number break line.

Interestingly enough, some of the earlier models had real names before NM# took off with the naming convention. Quite a few were vulc and probably in the 200-300 range unofficially. Some early examples i can recall:
Brighton (#? Probably 200s)
Quincy (254 and later 255)
Logan (606 ?)
Stratton (533 - PJ'S shoe)
[close]
I remember those names, they were horrible. Thank god they didn't pursue that road.
Btw if the higher the number the more tech and stuff what about 22? Following that convention they should be a sock with laces pretty much 😅
[close]
And now isn't there a 574 vulc? Doesn't quite seem to fit the <400 = vulc theory.
Gotta break the rules sometimes, usually when we're working with an existing # silhouette in the line like the 574 or 288 that we're just adopting for Numeric mostly. 

Daydream

• Rep: 80
« Reply #6033 on: July 10, 2023, 12:09:55 PM »

DanRar009

• Rep: 56
« Reply #6034 on: July 10, 2023, 06:46:14 PM »

Could these be the 440 v2’s we’ve been hearing about ?

uesty

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 95
« Reply #6035 on: July 11, 2023, 07:58:21 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

pretty sure he spray painted them to avoid a leak/disguise the new N side logo

chillclinton87

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #6036 on: July 11, 2023, 08:00:17 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

had the same thought when i saw that pic on insta earlier. when i checked it on my phone i felt like the shoes looked quite more substantial than regular 440s but now on my laptop it could be either  :-\

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
  • Get bent
« Reply #6037 on: July 11, 2023, 08:03:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
his pro model, right?
[close]
Yup, no idea about the #. Maybe @rothdigga can share some juice?
[close]
Yeah they are his new pro model, it will be the 600
tried them on in a sample (it was a half size too small for me) but it felt really good, i'm excited for this to come out
[close]
It's got similar vibes to the 288S that we had for a while.  Indoor soccer inspired design but a big improvement on the 288S if you tried those.  Launches in Holiday 2023 so around Oct.
[close]

thanks, roth!

Appreciate you aalways posting here.

Any word on when the 480 skate version comes out? been popping up all over insta recently so i guess final sample phase?
[close]

Without giving away too much, I'll just say "sooner than later" for the 480.  Obviously once you start seeing it on peoples feet it's not a total secret so you'll see them pop up at retail soon-ish.

Can you give us some insight on what some of the changes were that went into the skate version of the 480? Genuinely curious I enjoyed skating the normal basketball model, and wonder what the major differences are between the two
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

rothdigga

« Reply #6038 on: July 11, 2023, 01:47:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
his pro model, right?
[close]
[close]
tried them on in a sample (it was a half size too small for me) but it felt really good, i'm excited for this to come out
[close]
It's got similar vibes to the 288S that we had for a while.  Indoor soccer inspired design but a big improvement on the 288S if you tried those.  Launches in Holiday 2023 so around Oct.
[close]

thanks, roth!

Any word on when the 480 skate version comes out? been popping up all over insta recently so i guess final sample phase?
[close]

Without giving away too much, I'll just say "sooner than later" for the 480.  Obviously once you start seeing it on peoples feet it's not a total secret so you'll see them pop up at retail soon-ish.
[close]

Can you give us some insight on what some of the changes were that went into the skate version of the 480? Genuinely curious I enjoyed skating the normal basketball model, and wonder what the major differences are between the two
We used premium materials on ours, closed the gap around the ollie area for durability as well as adding in the necessary extra stitches that we need as skaters and made some minor cosmetic changes (smaller N etc).  Only details you will notice if you look close enough but overall they're improvements that were needed to make them more skateable.

mini greek

• Rep: 32
« Reply #6039 on: July 11, 2023, 03:22:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
his pro model, right?
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

thanks, roth!

[close]

[close]

[close]
We used premium materials on ours, closed the gap around the ollie area for durability as well as adding in the necessary extra stitches that we need as skaters and made some minor cosmetic changes (smaller N etc).  Only details you will notice if you look close enough but overall they're improvements that were needed to make them more skateable.

And we added a FuelCell midsole, probably the biggest (best) change. its gonna be epic.
Get litty.....

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 31
  • &#633;&#477;&#652;&#477;&#633;o&#607; llo&#7450;
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6040 on: July 12, 2023, 12:53:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
his pro model, right?
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

thanks, roth!

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

And we added a FuelCell midsole, probably the biggest (best) change. its gonna be epic.
Jesus Christ, I wasn't curious about 480 at all and now I need them. Damn you NB#, please leave my wallet in peace.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
  • Get bent
« Reply #6041 on: July 12, 2023, 06:13:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
his pro model, right?
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

thanks, roth!

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Damn… highly anticipating this one, really liked tha basketball version so I’m sure this one is gonna be siiick
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

chillclinton87

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #6042 on: July 12, 2023, 06:30:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
his pro model, right?
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

thanks, roth!

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

midsole makes these is instant cop for me! sealed the deal  ::)

uesty

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 95
« Reply #6043 on: July 12, 2023, 08:09:14 AM »

these are sick! :o

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6044 on: July 12, 2023, 08:35:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
his pro model, right?
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

thanks, roth!

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

wait for the numeric model, got it
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

ToasterBiscuitz

• Rep: 3
« Reply #6045 on: July 12, 2023, 10:22:11 AM »
Any wide versions coming this summer? Running out of old CT574’s

rothdigga

« Reply #6046 on: July 12, 2023, 03:52:19 PM »
Any wide versions coming this summer? Running out of old CT574’s
Sadly no, probably not until we hit Jan or maybe an early delivery in Dec if the shoes show up.  We will have 440's, NM574's and NM272's

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #6047 on: July 13, 2023, 05:52:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Are the rumors of a beefed up 440 true?

@rothdigga
[close]

I wouldn't call it "beefed up" but I would say Jeff/Nick on the product and design team did update a few things for the new 440.  I'm a dedicated 440 user, it's my only shoe for last 4 years and the improvements are slight but needed.  They eliminated the rocker on the shoe (it sat on the shelf with a bit of a curve on the sole) as well as upgraded some durability points but the overall toe down and everything will look the same.  We may have 1-2 carryover colors of the older 440's but once the new one hits, the old will go away.

Sorry to quote such an old post, but is there a specific reason for this change? I am curious because I usually like this feature, it makes the shoes look less floppy.
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

rothdigga

« Reply #6048 on: July 13, 2023, 03:09:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Are the rumors of a beefed up 440 true?

@rothdigga
[close]

I wouldn't call it "beefed up" but I would say Jeff/Nick on the product and design team did update a few things for the new 440.  I'm a dedicated 440 user, it's my only shoe for last 4 years and the improvements are slight but needed.  They eliminated the rocker on the shoe (it sat on the shelf with a bit of a curve on the sole) as well as upgraded some durability points but the overall toe down and everything will look the same.  We may have 1-2 carryover colors of the older 440's but once the new one hits, the old will go away.
[close]

Sorry to quote such an old post, but is there a specific reason for this change? I am curious because I usually like this feature, it makes the shoes look less floppy.
Aesthetically speaking, they look pretty weird on the shoe wall when sitting on a shoe shelf when the shoe curves up at the end but I understand what you're saying. 

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #6049 on: July 14, 2023, 02:28:25 AM »
^ok, thanks!
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

thehogsniper

• Rep: 47
« Reply #6050 on: July 14, 2023, 07:25:01 AM »
New idea: 420 made completely from hemp.

woat

• Rep: 1
« Reply #6051 on: July 15, 2023, 08:11:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
his pro model, right?
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

thanks, roth!

[close]

[close]

Will this new insole feature in the V2 of the 440? I have skated dozens of 440's and my only qualm is the foam insole being completely flattened within a week or two of skating them and having semi high arches means that when they do, the whole shoe feels a lot looser.

My friend and fellow team rider showed me the samples he received of the 480 and i must say if this new insole is featured in the upcoming 440 v2 it would be incredible.

BigMurf

• Rep: -3
« Reply #6052 on: July 16, 2023, 05:24:00 AM »
My 808s came in and man yall were right about going a half size up. If I would have got my normal size there's no way I'd be able to wear these. I appreciate this thread and everyone in it  :)

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 52
« Reply #6053 on: July 16, 2023, 11:07:04 AM »
So I got some Fastbreak Pros and like ‘em, but there’s only like 3 colorways available. Meanwhile it seems like a new version of 440s comes out every month. How can #NB afford to make so many versions? Are they just super popular?

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 103
« Reply #6054 on: July 16, 2023, 12:54:48 PM »
So I got some Fastbreak Pros and like ‘em, but there’s only like 3 colorways available. Meanwhile it seems like a new version of 440s comes out every month. How can #NB afford to make so many versions? Are they just super popular?

Probably because NB# is an active skate program with tons of support and goodwill from team and buyers alike. Where as Cons is a Nike afterthought with no real identity.
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 52
« Reply #6055 on: July 16, 2023, 12:57:31 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Probably because NB# is an active skate program with tons of support and goodwill from team and buyers alike. Where as Cons is a Nike afterthought with no real identity.
Makes sense. I’ll continue buying 440s and grab Fastbreaks when I can.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #6056 on: July 16, 2023, 01:49:26 PM »
Adding to that most of the Fastbreaks have nylon sides. If they actually gave even a small fuck they'd use any other somewhat more durable material. All the do is slap an insole in em and call it a day.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2023, 10:09:02 AM by LebowskisRug »

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #6057 on: July 16, 2023, 02:47:32 PM »
It's strange because Cons skate program used to be so invigorating from 2009-2017 or so. They peaked during the toe cap trend around 2016 it seems and have only gone downhill in popularity since then, but still solid. Save for the occasional bump from certain Cons riders keeping them going.

I will say Alexis pro shoe and whenever they release a colorway of the Fastbreak, they get a rise in presence again.

They make non skate Fastbreak models and maybe refuksr Converse/Nike has some contract/rules that the skate line is limited to how many they can release in the regular and the skate division.

I've also seen more all suede colorways of regular Fastbreaks than I have of the skate ones. Thats bizarre to me haha

Back to NB#, it seems that they approach the skate shoes from the ground up, rather than the top down like Cons does. Sale numbers matter but NB# mission to making readily available skate shoes is not tainted excessively by corporate overlords
Super Champion Fun Zone

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 31
  • &#633;&#477;&#652;&#477;&#633;o&#607; llo&#7450;
« Reply #6058 on: July 17, 2023, 04:28:29 AM »
Still can't believe how NB# slept on Alexis. I was so bummed about that.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #6059 on: July 17, 2023, 04:57:16 AM »
Still can't believe how NB# slept on Alexis. I was so bummed about that.

I was just thinking about that the other day, an Alexis NB would have been all such a great move