Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 720259 times)

Maxi205

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 32
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #2520 on: April 05, 2020, 10:58:31 AM »
Hey, I just wanted to ask, if someone had the same problem with formula fours chipping recenlty. I chipped my 53m 99a Classics a week ago, but wasnt thinking too much about it because i had them for about 2 months. So I just bought a new set, which I skated today for the first time and it chipped again. The chip is not as big as the chip on the old set but it kind of bummed me out. They are my favorite wheel by far and  I had 7 sets prior to those two sets and they never chipped on me that badly before.

* I skated the same spots as always

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2521 on: April 05, 2020, 10:59:34 AM »
Hey, I just wanted to ask, if someone had the same problem with formula fours chipping recenlty. I chipped my 53m 99a Classics a week ago, but wasnt thinking too much about it because i had them for about 2 months. So I just bought a new set, which I skated today for the first time and it chipped again. The chip is not as big as the chip on the old set but it kind of bummed me out. They are my favorite wheel by far and  I had 7 sets prior to those two sets and they never chipped on me that badly before.

Not normal, I would reach DLX
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #2522 on: April 05, 2020, 11:04:33 AM »

The majority of the sets of F4s I’ve had have all done that at one point somewhere down the road. Used to make a big fuss about it when my gear OCD was at its craziest but now I just shrug it off; it doesn’t really effect the performance of the wheel, but I will say that it definitely ain’t the most aesthetically pleasing to look at your wheel and see a giant chunk missing, especially if the wheel is still pretty new.

Maxi205

« Reply #2523 on: April 05, 2020, 11:14:19 AM »
Yeah you are kind of right, had small chips on them before and just have ridden through them. But the first chip is for sure too big. So I think i will contact DLX this time, since it was the first session on the second set. Would you contact them via Slap, or go over to their website and fill in their form for their wheels guarantee ?

sadnocomply

• Rep: 144
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #2524 on: April 05, 2020, 11:23:04 AM »
Yeah you are kind of right, had small chips on them before and just have ridden through them. But the first chip is for sure too big. So I think i will contact DLX this time, since it was the first session on the second set. Would you contact them via Slap, or go over to their website and fill in their form for their wheels guarantee ?
form, & ig message dlx or spitfire or both honestly

Maxi205

« Reply #2525 on: April 05, 2020, 11:50:26 AM »
Thanks I wrote them a message on IG, they wouldn't let me fill in the form since im from Germany.
Hopefully they will respond.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2526 on: April 05, 2020, 06:46:40 PM »
Thanks I wrote them a message on IG, they wouldn't let me fill in the form since im from Germany.

DLX has great customer service, I had a less than great experience with my Ishod Twin Tail and they hit me up to arrange a board to be sent to me. I covered the shipping 1/2 way which is fair considering I live in Asia.
Do expect a delay given the current COVID situation though, I think their warehouse / customer service are not operating at full capacity.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 470
« Reply #2527 on: April 07, 2020, 04:24:55 AM »

If your regular spot has any wooden ramps/boxes I would check for a screw sticking out. I gouged two sets in a row before realizing it was a screw.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 953
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #2528 on: April 07, 2020, 03:55:40 PM »
I’m thinking about getting a set of 56mm classic f4’s. I usually ride 53mm classic f4’s but my local is out of that size. Would 56mm be too big on an 8.38 board with loose ace 44 trucks?

no. That's my main set up for the last few. Ace 44s loose as possible without up and down play in the pivot area and 56mm wheels. The classic shape is way better than the conical full for avoiding wheel bite.

Rn I'm on the 5.6 with 55 classics loose as they go. A 55mm truck can hold a 56 all day.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Diocletian

« Reply #2529 on: April 08, 2020, 06:04:27 PM »
So I know this has been discussed before, but I wanted to share some confirmation to the story about the guy who created the F4 and that he did in fact leave DLX to start his own company: https://www.nfgmfg.com/

It briefly talks about it in the description when you scroll down and click the right arrow, Aaron Holm  is his name. I’ve also had a couple shops confirm after getting small runs of wheels from them directly. Makes me wonder how much of the F4 shortage has to do with a “broken machine” or whatever Thiebaud claimed?

Reed Richards

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #2530 on: April 08, 2020, 07:46:22 PM »
So I know this has been discussed before, but I wanted to share some confirmation to the story about the guy who created the F4 and that he did in fact leave DLX to start his own company: https://www.nfgmfg.com/

It briefly talks about it in the description when you scroll down and click the right arrow, Aaron Holm  is his name. I’ve also had a couple shops confirm after getting small runs of wheels from them directly. Makes me wonder how much of the F4 shortage has to do with a “broken machine” or whatever Thiebaud claimed?
I think Thiebaud said manufacturing issues in Mexico.  I'm pretty sure DLX wasn't going to roll out F4s without having that formula legally locked up.  Kind of like with comic companies back in the day where they owned any characters created while you were working there.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2531 on: April 08, 2020, 08:26:52 PM »

Was hoping they would make a skinnier wheel but their slimmest wheel looks like it's Classic sized.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #2532 on: April 09, 2020, 08:30:48 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Was hoping they would make a skinnier wheel but their slimmest wheel looks like it's Classic sized.

52 they smallest too. Which makes sense. I should use that as a sign. 52s.

toyo980

• Rep: -2
« Reply #2533 on: April 09, 2020, 09:14:19 AM »
I using worn 56 conical fulls (53 by now) and im interesting in trying 58 mm classics f4, are they good? Do they lock in?

gyros4heroes

• Rep: -27
« Reply #2534 on: April 09, 2020, 04:43:10 PM »
I using worn 56 conical fulls (53 by now) and im interesting in trying 58 mm classics f4, are they good? Do they lock in?
someone gave me a used set of 58s and they should be around 53-54 by now. They felt quite weird when i first set them up since my last set had worn down to 50mm or smaller, apart from that they perform amazing, i have been enjoying the extra wide riding surface, they feel great on all terrains and slide really nice. As per locking in, i suck at tranny but grinding ive found crooked grinds dont really work for my with that big/wide of a wheel so i refrained from doing them until recently when they got smaller, any other grind they lock in super nice

Crabby_Bastard

• Rep: 55
« Reply #2535 on: April 09, 2020, 06:39:26 PM »

He started working at DLX shortly after F4 was created. He was not the creator of the formula.
How much for an order of ribs?

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 989
  • the moon rules
« Reply #2536 on: April 10, 2020, 12:38:34 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

DLX has great customer service, I had a less than great experience with my Ishod Twin Tail and they hit me up to arrange a board to be sent to me. I covered the shipping 1/2 way which is fair considering I live in Asia.
Do expect a delay given the current COVID situation though, I think their warehouse / customer service are not operating at full capacity.
I’ll attest to the excellent customer service. A long time ago I mentioned here on the boards that I had a new board that felt soft and it cracked within a couple days. Jim Thiebaud personally called the shop I worked at and offered to send me a replacement for it. I’ve always respected that. At that time I primarily only skated Deluxe brands, and I still do to this day

Back to wheels I wish they made the OG Classic shape in an F4 because it looks cool. I’ve skated F4’s since they came out, but I set up a set of regular Classics on a goof around board. Same size, same bearings, but the wheels feel slower. I’m a weirdo and I like colored wheels, so I’m hoping for a green or blue F4 again in the future
fuck you bama

legion

« Reply #2537 on: April 11, 2020, 03:21:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
I’ll attest to the excellent customer service. A long time ago I mentioned here on the boards that I had a new board that felt soft and it cracked within a couple days. Jim Thiebaud personally called the shop I worked at and offered to send me a replacement for it. I’ve always respected that. At that time I primarily only skated Deluxe brands, and I still do to this day

Back to wheels I wish they made the OG Classic shape in an F4 because it looks cool. I’ve skated F4’s since they came out, but I set up a set of regular Classics on a goof around board. Same size, same bearings, but the wheels feel slower. I’m a weirdo and I like colored wheels, so I’m hoping for a green or blue F4 again in the future
I'm not sure but I think the OG Classic shape is the same as regular conicals.
SFW's are the same as conical fulls.
Anyone got some to compare?

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #2538 on: April 11, 2020, 06:07:57 PM »
53 conical full or tablets? looking for a smoother ride on nyc crust but it's hard to tell the difference just by the measurements spitfire provides
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 06:12:56 PM by off »
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

legion

« Reply #2539 on: April 11, 2020, 06:17:51 PM »
53 conical full or tablets? looking for a smoother ride on nyc crust but it's hard to tell the difference just by the measurements spitfire provides
Conical fulls. Width helps smooth out crust.
Idk how crusty NYC is but 53-54mm is for smooth-ish ground to me. My homie out there rocked 53's but he probably skipped on extra crusty spots. 55-57mm for real crust?

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #2540 on: April 11, 2020, 06:26:38 PM »
Conical full
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #2541 on: April 11, 2020, 06:27:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Idk how crusty NYC is but 53-54mm is for smooth-ish ground to me. My homie out there rocked 53's but he probably skipped on extra crusty spots. 55-57mm for real crust?
mix of crust and those stupid sidewalk cracks that pitch me on my radial slims that are worn down to almost 48mm
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Spaced Cadet

• Rep: 113
« Reply #2542 on: April 14, 2020, 04:37:35 PM »
I'm thinking of getting some conical fulls but I'm not sure if I should get 99 or 101D. I've had both 99 and 101 of the F4 classic shape and liked them both. It seemed like the difference between them wasn't as noticeable on rougher ground but I'm curious if a wider wheel would change that. How grippy are the 99s on the conical fulls compared to the 101s?

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #2543 on: April 14, 2020, 04:47:11 PM »
I'm thinking of getting some conical fulls but I'm not sure if I should get 99 or 101D. I've had both 99 and 101 of the F4 classic shape and liked them both. It seemed like the difference between them wasn't as noticeable on rougher ground but I'm curious if a wider wheel would change that. How grippy are the 99s on the conical fulls compared to the 101s?

My 99’s slide noticeably better than my 101’s. The difference in how they feel rolling isn’t too big for me but the slide makes me like the 99’s better

legion

« Reply #2544 on: April 14, 2020, 05:22:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
mix of crust and those stupid sidewalk cracks that pitch me on my radial slims that are worn down to almost 48mm
For cracks larger diameter is definitely better. Makes concrete seams a lil less annoying too.

drewsmahgoos

• Rep: 6
« Reply #2545 on: April 14, 2020, 06:45:32 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Meh, biggest thing I've skated for years is 54mm. I live in PA and there's next to nothing that's actually smooth here. I've said it in another thread but I got 54mm pennswood winter tires. They're cruiser wheels(so really soft) taken through a lathe to make them smaller. They've become great for a real crusty spot. Otherwise, I go 53 or under and don't really have much of a problem. The wider the wheel the better though.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #2546 on: April 15, 2020, 04:46:13 AM »
shop had the 53 conical fulls in 99a. wanted to try the 101a but would rather put money into the shop instead of shopping online, especially in these times. neckface graphic.

took them for a spin to get some grip in the contact patch and holy fuck they go. the hill nearby my apartment is twice as fast on these spits compared to my mini juices. the usual shit in the street that would try to pitch and kill me was not a problem. as it stands, i might have to get a pair in 56mm for the cruiser and just never ride softies again

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2547 on: April 15, 2020, 04:48:25 AM »
Conical fulls are just the best shape, imo. Looks good, feels good.

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #2548 on: April 16, 2020, 03:42:58 PM »
Second that. I keep coming back to mine even though they are my oldest set of wheels

PMA

Saint Coke

« Reply #2549 on: April 16, 2020, 06:57:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Second that. I keep coming back to mine even though they are my oldest set of wheels
How old are we talking? Are they tiny? What duro and size?